Pokémon Pheromosa

Status
Not open for further replies.
Due to it's frailty any se priority move should knock it right out. Also thanks to it's lackluster hp and defense stats it's easily worn down so just use something like mega pinsir or mega lop with dual priority to wear it down. You can also just run a hazard stacking team.

HotFuzzBall

fuzzy-chan \(ㆁヮㆁ✿)
is an Artist
Due to it's frailty any se priority move should knock it right out. Also thanks to it's lackluster hp and defense stats it's easily worn down so just use something like mega pinsir or mega lop with dual priority to wear it down. You can also just run a hazard stacking team.
pairing this thing with Tapu Lele makes it harder for hyper offense to deal with it due to Psychic Terrain. Yeah hazard stacking is another way to counter this mon if it constantly spams U-Turn. But, if Pheromosa gets running with boosts from its ability, it really has no reason to switch out.

Ash Borer

I've heard they're short of room in hell
One thing that i've found terribly annoying about this thing is that Beast Boost causes it to outspeed all scarf users if it gets a KO. Good luck stopping it from sweeping you lategame if your team is offensively inclined, especially if psychic terrain is active. Oh, another annoyance; if you're trying to life orb stall it down, it'll just rapid spin away all of your hazards before dying. Can we just ban this thing?

HotFuzzBall

fuzzy-chan \(ㆁヮㆁ✿)
is an Artist
Yeah I think this mon needs to be banned. It definitely needs a ban if Aegislash returns to Ubers. The fact that this mon is annulling a play style (hyper offense) or at least making it hard for hyper offense to do its job is insane. Sure this mon is weak to priority, hazards, and bulky mons (Pelipper, Toxapex, Mantine) but, there have been known workarounds for these problems. Tapu Lele patches up the priority weakness, it has Rapid Spin to remove hazards and it can threaten a good amount of spinblockers that want to switch in, and it can easily U-Turn out to something else due to its overbearing Speed stat if it's in a bad spot.

TL;DR This mon needs to leave .-.

If Psychic Terrain isn't around, pretty much any priority move will outright kill Pheromosa, SE or not.

That being said, Pheromosa is Deoxys-N (or, dare I say, Deo-A) all over again, with slightly better Speed, much better coverage, a much better ability and U-turn. Thankfully it does not have Extreme Speed to make it even more broken. Definitely needs a ban; only maybe 4 Pokemon in the entire tier can even hope to wall this thing, and more than half of them are complete walls not exactly viable in an offense team.

HotFuzzBall

fuzzy-chan \(ㆁヮㆁ✿)
is an Artist
If Psychic Terrain isn't around, pretty much any priority move will outright kill Pheromosa, SE or not.

That being said, Pheromosa is Deoxys-N (or, dare I say, Deo-A) all over again, with slightly better Speed, much better coverage, a much better ability and U-turn. Thankfully it does not have Extreme Speed to make it even more broken. Definitely needs a ban; only maybe 4 Pokemon in the entire tier can even hope to wall this thing, and more than half of them are complete walls not exactly viable in an offense team.
Going off of what you said, Pheromosa can easily U-Turn out into a mon like Xurikitree, Tapu Koko which can take advantage of Pelipper, Mantine and Toxapex to set up.

Yeah this pokemon wrecks shit. I have been using it with a fighting Z-crystal and it OHKOes almost everything that doesnt resist it then it gets an additional speed or attack boost. Its not nearly as bad as Deoxys-A was but very few pokemon can stand up against it. Its a equivalent almost like a physical scarf genesect.

A potent core i've been using is scarf xurkitree and pheromosa. The volt-turn is extremely hard to get out of without a ground type.

Common checks to pheromosa such as aegislash, pelipper and toxapex get u-turn'd on into xurkitre. Common checks to xurkitree such as latias or chansey get volt switch'd on into pheromosa. Rinse and repeat.
I take it you have Duggy for Lightning Rod Marowak?

Every Gen has an Offensive mon that falls short of being broken due to being rather slow or having bad defenses.
This is NOT one of those. What is wrong with being a Glass Cannon if the only thing that outspeeds you is, say Eletric Terrain Boosted A-Raichu. Out of curiosity, does A-Raichu still outspeeds it when it has a Scarf or a Boosted?

Basically an upgraded version of Genesect and a pseudo-Moxie ability, this pokemon is busted. Pheromosa literally outspeeds every pokemon unboosted with a godlike 151 speed tier and having U-turn makes VoltTurn strategies more cancerous than before. Offensive frail pokemon either have to resort to utilising a choice scarf just to revenge-kill pheromosa or use priority moves, but even so with Tapu Lele becoming more common nowadays priority moves got somewhat nerfed hence it is not a reliable strategy to beat pheromosa. Defensive pokemon switch-ins will just be U-turned out safely. All choice sets are equally viable on pheromosa. Scarf ensures nobody outspeeds Pheromosa, enabling her to revenge-kill and getting attack boosts which essentially means gg, while Band and Specs enables her to hit much harder than before, as if her raw stats aren't problematic enough. It can even go mixed with Life Orb, no problem.

Coverage moves? More than decent with High Jump Kick lolz.

It is plain simple that Gamefreak intended this pokemon to be so powerful and stupid. Quick-ban, without a doubt.

I'm finding Mega Beedrill more threatening than Pheromosa.
-Only 5 minus points in speed
-Strikes harder with Adaptability
-Threatens Tapus with Poison Jab
-Threatens Aegislash with Knock Off
-Threatens Toxapex with Drill Run; also, can't be poisoned
-Can U-turn or stay hitting hard with X-Scissor
-Can get +2 attack if it runs Fell Stinger

Pheromosa can go Mixed, which makes it more difficult to wall, and doesn't take the Mega Slot

Since it pretty much IS Deoxys-lite stat-wise, how does it's STABs compare to... Whatever Bug and Fightong attacks Deoxys-N/A has? Depending on the damage, it might get a niche in Ubers after/before the inevitable ban.

Albacore

sludge bomb is better than sludge wave
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I'm surpsied I'm not seeing more Pheromosa+Bisharp cores. Obviously, Bisharp trapping Aegi for Pheramosa makes it almost unstoppable vs a lot of teams, but it extends beyond that too. A lot of teams rely on scarfers to check Pherosoma, which Bisharp can revenge with its strong priority. You can even go the whole way and run Pheromosa+Bish+Dugtrio to trap both of its main switchins.

Of course, I'm kinda grasping at straws to find flaws Pheromosa does have that can even be compensated by teammates...

New World Order

Licks Toads
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Since it pretty much IS Deoxys-lite stat-wise, how does it's STABs compare to... Whatever Bug and Fightong attacks Deoxys-N/A has? Depending on the damage, it might get a niche in Ubers after/before the inevitable ban.
Since I'm bad and need Pheromosa to win, I've played this mon more than anything besides Aegislash so far and can tell you that the only similarity between this and Deoxys is that they're both fast and vulnerable to priority. They play very differently. Deoxys is something you get in after a slow U-turn or sac and start trying to wallbreak with howitzers like Psycho Boost and it's excellent set of coverage moves with tons of potential for super effective damage, while keeping itself protected with Extremespeed. Pheromosa doesn't have a tool like Extremespeed nor does it have to raw power to just brute force it's way through walls. What it has going for it is an extremely predictable but flexible moveset that allows it to hit most of the tier for solid damage. It has extreme difficulty against the fat teams out there with Aegislash, Toxapex, Mantine and the like switching in all day every day. This should instead be used as a trump card against offensive teams, as they tend to lack recovery and can easily see most of its members worn down to, say, the 60% range, at which point Pheromosa can pretty much grab a kill against them any time it comes in safely and can really only be answered by revenge killing. The main advantage it has over Deoxys is a STAB U-turn that with it's blistering speed, can get it out of harms way while accounting for the opponent's potential double switches, making it one of the most frustrating pokemon to lock down and put away for good. Just because you have Aegislash doesn't mean your team isn't weak to this thing since it'll just U-turn into a check as you switch in the shield, losing you momentum.

On a side note, doubt it'll see much of a niche in Ubers. It just doesn't have the raw power to get through your defensive stalwarts that plague the Ubers tier.

I'm surpsied I'm not seeing more Pheromosa+Bisharp cores. Obviously, Bisharp trapping Aegi for Pheramosa makes it almost unstoppable vs a lot of teams, but it extends beyond that too. A lot of teams rely on scarfers to check Pherosoma, which Bisharp can revenge with its strong priority. You can even go the whole way and run Pheromosa+Bish+Dugtrio to trap both of its main switchins.

Of course, I'm kinda grasping at straws to find flaws Pheromosa does have that can even be compensated by teammates...
I've been running exactly that
Pheromosa @ Life Orb
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- High Jump Kick
- Bug Buzz
- Ice Beam
- U-turn

Bisharp @ Life Orb
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Knock Off
- Pursuit
- Iron Head

Tapu Lele @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Psychic Surge
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Psychic
- Moonblast
- Focus Blast
- Shadow Ball

Keldeo @ Choice Specs
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 1 Atk / 30 SpA
- Scald
- Hydro Pump
- Secret Sword
- Hidden Power [Electric]

Zapdos @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Roost
- Defog
- Thunderbolt
- Heat Wave

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Leech Seed
- Gyro Ball
- Protect

Since I'm bad and need Pheromosa to win, I've played this mon more than anything besides Aegislash so far and can tell you that the only similarity between this and Deoxys is that they're both fast and vulnerable to priority. They play very differently. Deoxys is something you get in after a slow U-turn or sac and start trying to wallbreak with howitzers like Psycho Boost and it's excellent set of coverage moves with tons of potential for super effective damage, while keeping itself protected with Extremespeed. Pheromosa doesn't have a tool like Extremespeed nor does it have to raw power to just brute force it's way through walls. What it has going for it is an extremely predictable but flexible moveset that allows it to hit most of the tier for solid damage. It has extreme difficulty against the fat teams out there with Aegislash, Toxapex, Mantine and the like switching in all day every day. This should instead be used as a trump card against offensive teams, as they tend to lack recovery and can easily see most of its members worn down to, say, the 60% range, at which point Pheromosa can pretty much grab a kill against them any time it comes in safely and can really only be answered by revenge killing. The main advantage it has over Deoxys is a STAB U-turn that with it's blistering speed, can get it out of harms way while accounting for the opponent's potential double switches, making it one of the most frustrating pokemon to lock down and put away for good. Just because you have Aegislash doesn't mean your team isn't weak to this thing since it'll just U-turn into a check as you switch in the shield, losing you momentum.

On a side note, doubt it'll see much of a niche in Ubers. It just doesn't have the raw power to get through your defensive stalwarts that plague the Ubers tier.
Makes sense. But since Bug is a useful STAB in the Psychic-land that Ubers turns into sometimes, I tought it could have some use here. Anyway, we'll see where it ends some months/weeks from now.

Something also rarely mentioned is that this pokemon has access to Lunge, which is a guaranteed attack reduction alongside being a STAB 80 BP move.

Which means you could also run this with some investment in defense and then really hamper a physical attacker or force it to switch. So in some circumstances this pokemon is also running a pseudo-Intimidate, with the speed to apply it.

Obviously it's the U-Turn and being able to outspeed nearly anything that makes it so good - the point is even without that, you could turn it into a whole other headache if you wanted.

Was just thinking that earlier. Beedrill is honestly not that much worse than Pheremosa now that it has 145 base speed on turn 1 and doesn't have to run Protect. It'll be a good substitute when Pheromosa is gone.

BenTheDemon

Banned deucer.
This thing is really REALLY broken. It's just too damned fast and powerful with amazing STABs and a good movepool to stay in OU. So I'm hopping on the bandwagon and predicting a quickban.

Was just thinking that earlier. Beedrill is honestly not that much worse than Pheremosa now that it has 145 base speed on turn 1 and doesn't have to run Protect. It'll be a good substitute when Pheromosa is gone.
Beedrill doesn't get boosts after getting kills and doesn't have the option to go special or have access to HJK, meaning it is still walled by defensive Lando-T, Mega-Scizor, Skarmory... And it's weak to rocks, while also being neutral to pursuit. Plus its coverage moves, while Okay, aren't the strongest as unboosted 145 Att isn't actually that strong; although Fell Stinger could be a potential option to remedy that...

While I think the buff it got means it has a decent chance to be OU, there are enough issues to prevent it from ever being overpowering and we definitely have the tools to deal with it

Mega Beedrill is very strong with the new Spe mechanic, but:
(1) 145 base Spe isn't 151, so you are not able to outspeed Mega Alakazam, which is stronger and faster than ever;
(2) It comes with an opportunity cost: the Mega slot;
(3) Pheromosa can check some resisted priority if necessary (i.e. Dark and Rock priority) and is neutral to SR;
(4) Pheromosa can even run a Choice Band/Specs to highten its power and one Beast Boost is enough to outspeed even the OU Scarfers.

Pheromosa is clearly a broken thing in OU, which can be stopped only by Scarfers, priority users or other broken/unhealthy things. Mega Beedrill has a lower Spe stat without ways to boost it further and with a better set of weaknesses (this is important when you have to stomach some priority moves). Don't forget that Beedrill uses your Mega slot and on the team preview if you see this Bug/Poison type, you know that is a Mega for sure (otherwise, Pheromosa can run a LO, CBand, CSpecs or even a set "slower" but with higher offenses).

I agree that Mega Beedrill is still a nice replacement when Pheromosa will go away.

Mega Beedrill is very strong with the new Spe mechanic, but:
(1) 145 base Spe isn't 151, so you are not able to outspeed Mega Alakazam, which is stronger and faster than ever;
(2) It comes with an opportunity cost: the Mega slot;
(3) Pheromosa can check some resisted priority if necessary (i.e. Dark and Rock priority) and is neutral to SR;
(4) Pheromosa can even run a Choice Band/Specs to highten its power and one Beast Boost is enough to outspeed even the OU Scarfers.

Pheromosa is clearly a broken thing in OU, which can be stopped only by Scarfers, priority users or other broken/unhealthy things. Mega Beedrill has a lower Spe stat without ways to boost it further and with a better set of weaknesses (this is important when you have to stomach some priority moves). Don't forget that Beedrill uses your Mega slot and on the team preview if you see this Bug/Poison type, you know that is a Mega for sure (otherwise, Pheromosa can run a LO, CBand, CSpecs or even a set "slower" but with higher offenses).

I agree that Mega Beedrill is still a nice replacement when Pheromosa will go away.
I was going to run mega beedrill, but apparently it is unreleased on showdown's Pokebank OU.

On another note, I discovered that Pheromosa is generally walled by Alolan Marowak. U-turn and Poison jab do around 15%, and High Jump Kick does not work. Not sure how hard bug buzz or ice beam hit, but Marowak x4 resists bug and x2 resists Ice. In return, Marowak does a huge chunk to any switch-in, and it easily kills Pheromosa.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)