Metagame Metagame Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

New World Order

Licks Toads
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I want to point out a Pokemon I think is overlooked in the current metagame: (Mega) Gyarados. With the parallels between XY and SM in certain builds/cores that are currently effective, I decided to try out Mega Gyarados and take a look at where it stands in the current metagame. Simply put, many of the teams in the metagame just are not prepared for it. The flexibility between normal Gyarados and Mega Gyarados really stands out; with normal Gyarados, you can't be revenged by Genesect or Pheromosa and can take advantage of certain stuff for free setups, whereas Mega Gyarados can set up on Greninja and Aegislash. Gyarados also gets a DD against Landorus-I. I haven't seen any Landorus-Ts with Superpower or Genesects with Thunderbolt to combat it. Keldeo has disappeared off the face of the earth so any possibility of that checking is mostly gone. Certain Pokemon are problematic for it, notably requiring to damage Tapu Bulu (about 35%) beforehand and Venu. In general I feel that the top threats Mega Gyarados can check and sweeping capabilities it has while people are relatively unprepared for it make it a pretty effective Pokemon.

Although I think the flexibility of Mega Gyara makes it superior generally, I also wanted to share a pretty cool lure with Z-move normal Gyarados:

Gyarados @ Flyinium Z
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Bounce
- Earthquake

This set pretty much lures the Grasses and Waters used to check Gyarados. Z-Bounce is really strong, to say the least. Below are some calcs (this is Jolly because it misses crucial speed benchmarks at +1 without Jolly). Rather than list/explain targets, I'll just include some calcs to give an idea of what I mean.
252 Atk Gyarados Supersonic Skystrike (160 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Tapu Bulu: 452-534 (131.3 - 155.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 Atk Gyarados Supersonic Skystrike (160 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Venusaur: 426-504 (117 - 138.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+1 252 Atk Gyarados Supersonic Skystrike (160 BP) vs. 252 HP / 88+ Def Ferrothorn: 255-301 (72.4 - 85.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
+1 252 Atk Gyarados Supersonic Skystrike (160 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Manaphy (HP Elec versions used for Mantine could check): 381-448 (111.7 - 131.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+1 252 Atk Gyarados Supersonic Skystrike (160 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mantine: 343-405 (91.7 - 108.2%) -- 50% chance to OHKO
+1 252 Atk Gyarados Supersonic Skystrike (160 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Tangrowth: 470-554 (116.3 - 137.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+1 252 Atk Gyarados Supersonic Skystrike (160 BP) vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Kyurem-B: 379-447 (96.9 - 114.3%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO
I've been on the Mega Gyara hype-train since day 1 and agree with everything you said here. I'd also like to add that Mega Gyara takes advantage of Terrains so well, being able to avoid status, priority (namely Mach Punch), or a free Leftovers heal are super helpful for getting up multiple boosts.

the sooner pharomosa leaves the better outspeeding most of the game with those offensive stats and u-turn while the only real answer is just 3 mons one of which is probably also still as broken as it was last gen or using priority but since the gale wings nerf we don't got the 100% counter that would had been talonflame.

i'm here to address all the kartana discussion and the thing that i am noticing is life orb is item of choice.

please don't use life orb. it's a terrible item on a pokemon that can switch in on things like ferrothorn and azumarill, and set-up on pokemon like landorus-t and non-hp[fire] amoonguss for example. now you took a hit, and then you can't break anymore because life orb is chipping away your health? life orb recoil has cost me a lot of games and you'd rather be using fightinium z or steelium z:

Kartana @ Steelium Z / Fightinium Z
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Leaf Blade
- Smart Strike
- Sacred Sword
- Swords Dance

let me just give you some examples of what this thing can do. corkscrew crash just obliterates charizardx and marowak after one sd. life orb can't do this. if your opponent switches then they won't be able to take another attack because you got the beast boost attack boost. life orb can't let you destroy mega venusaur either which is common as hell. zapdos dies after rocks too. people have also been saying to drop steel coverage which is just stupid imo. steel hits way too much neutrally with sacred sword and leaf blade coverage. aegislash? literally takes 70 from corkscrew crash, plus night slash doesn't even work half the time because you have to play mind games with king's shield. with all-out plummeting, you can ohko shit like scizor, skarmory (some prior damage for physdef), celesteela, jirachi, etc. in addition to this, corkscrew crash can also be used as a revenge killer. say your opponent has a pinsir or landorus-i but then you realize you can't kill. z move for the rk and get the attack boost.

overall, life orb is just an outclassed item in almost every aspect for kartana. please use the zmove set or scarf. or don't use kartana at all because the second thing i wanted to address is ya'll overhype this thing way too much

Okay, pause real quick.

This thing. This. Fucking. Thing.
Okay but for real, this thing is an actual threat and has a good amount of viability. Its bulk is naturally high, it has a fantastic typing offensively and defensively, it has access to lots of priority, and DESPITE what everyone says, is in possession of a useful ability when played with properly. It can run a multitude of sets that are all rather similar but abuse different parts of this mon's potential. Bulky with Leftovers/Assault Vest can work, Life Orb/Choice Band can work, Spikes can work, and even a potential lategame cleaner set with Swords Dance and lots of priority can work. It pairs great with wallbreakers or fragile threats that can't always come in safely but at the same time NEED to get in in order to win or gain a favorable matchup to quickly turn momentum with its ability Emergency Exit. Examples of this are Hoopa Unbound, Greninja, (Mega)Alakazam, Weavile, and Thundurus.

So, thoughts on this thing? Anyone?

Last edited:

SJCrew

Believer, going on a journey...
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I mean, sure, Emergency Exit is annoying when you aren't conscious of it at certain points, but then you're like, "Oh, I get to bring in Pheromosa for free," and then you're happy again.

Haven't fiddled too much with any of Golisopod's offensive sets; its stats and movepool are just perfect for Spikes. I'm happy with it so far.

Okay, pause real quick.

This thing. This. Fucking. Thing.
Okay but for real, this thing is an actual threat and has a good amount of viability. Its bulk is naturally high, it has a fantastic typing offensively and defensively, it has access to lots of priority, and DESPITE what everyone says, is in possession of a useful ability when played with properly. It can run a multitude of sets that are all rather similar but abuse different parts of this mon's potential. Bulky with Leftovers/Assault Vest can work, Life Orb/Choice Band can work, and even a potential lategame cleaner set with Swords Dance and lots of priority can work. It pairs great with wallbreakers or fragile threats that can't always come in safely but at the same time NEED to get in in order to win or gain a favorable matchup to quickly turn momentum with its ability Emergency Exit. Examples of this are Hoopa Unbound, Greninja, (Mega)Alakazam, Weavile, and Thundurus.

So, thoughts on this thing? Anyone?
I checked its movepool and noticed it gets SPIKES! Hazard setting-->free switch-in anyone? Not to mention it gets priority up the rear (First Impression, Sucker Punch, Aqua Jet, not sure which of the latter two is better, though) and decent recovery in the new Leech Life (80 BP which it gets STAB on!).

Yeah, I enjoy using it in battle spot. It's like having a suicide lead that doesn't actually die. It'll usually be crippled in the first few turns from status or damage but it's enough to get the job done then let a sweeper in for free, and since it's not KO'd you can use it to get something else in safely later. Has a lot of priority and some okay support options in 6v6. Only problem is that First Impression, despite being extremely strong, is also extremely predictable. But it's one of those things that's almost too good to not use on a set, it'll OHKO almost anything that's weak to bug if psychic terrain isn't up.

But psychic terrain tends to counter a lot of what he offers offensively, particularly in a 6v6 lv100 format where it's easier to knock a non-defensively invested set below 50% and without priority. He just doesn't get to move if the opponent can do that on turn one. I think going full defensive pivot is the best way to play him.

Offensively, I think he's best suited to trick room. Has a lot of priority options plus bulk so he's not useless outside of TR, but is naturally slow enough to outspeed the vast majority of the meta under it, and the combination of his attack, bulk and STAB make leech life very annoying to deal with when he outspeeds you. His built in slowturn also lets you get TR setters in more easily which is always welcome on a slow archetype that uses pokemon more vulnerable to being outsped and 2HKO'd.

LucarioOfLegends

Master Procraster
is a CAP Contributor
Honestly, I think that people forget how totally viable Mudsdale could be. While its Speed is not very good, the bulk it has is crazy, also factoring in Stamina, which is a great stop to physical sweepers. With AV, this thing can take hits for days

Honestly, I think that people forget how totally viable Mudsdale could be. While its Speed is not very good, the bulk it has is crazy, also factoring in Stamina, which is a great stop to physical sweepers. With AV, this thing can take hits for days
It's vulnerable to Burn and Toxic and has 0 reliable recovery (sans RestTalk which you can't use with AV), which is rather annoying.

Take Azelfie

More flags more fun
A lot of people haven't talked much about old mons and one that I think is criminally underrated. The mon I'm talking about is Keldeo now first off I'll bring up why its significantly worse now. Basically SuMo introduced a shitton of new checks and counters in Pokemon such as Toxapex, Mantine, and all the Tapus. In addition it wants to run HP electric now specifically for Pelipper and Mantine but then has to drop coverage for say Slowbro and Latios. This really leaves it with a movesets that isn't perfect and much more prediction reliant compared to ORAS. But a lot of people are still doughting its capabilities as remove those previoualy mentioned threats and its acts the same exact way it did in ORAS. But one of the things I really like right now is its ability to lure in stuff and if your a decent player can use that to your advantage. For example I'm using Keldeo to bait in Toxapex for my Sub DD Zygarde which means game or I get a major paralysis on something. Either way I still find Keldeo to be rather splashable despite its major weaknesses rn and I hope that maybe yall will stop saying it's complete ass and should go to uu.

Gimmick

Electric potential
I've played more ladder games in the past 24 hours than I have in the past year, and I'm actually in love with the SM Pokebank metagame right now. I've missed Rain so much since BW and Pelipper really makes it feel more viable without being over the top. Pelipper fits naturally in the meta with its ability to check so many of the new threats including Pheromosa, and having a weather starter with solid recovery and U-turn is exactly what 8-turn Rain needed. In less than a day, I've built a team which takes me back to how much fun I had in BW2.

Triple steel... only in rain. The team has problems but it's so fun. Volt-Turn with Pursuit and free switches into Kingdra? Yes please. CB Genesect was my favorite Pokemon on my most successful team back in BW2, and it honestly makes any team 10x more fun. I really hope it stays in OU. Its speed tier really hinders it from being the god it used to be. Also, blanket checks to Ice/Fire/Electric coverage, like Clefable, keep its Rock Polish set at bay.

Hail has also become a fascinating playstyle with the new Reflect + Light Screen move along with a solid weather starter. Additionally, the debut hail mons have received excellent dual typings in Fairy and Steel. I've already found myself playing weather wars, which is something I actually enjoyed haha. Needless to say, I think SM has a lot to offer for competitive Pokemon and has the potential to create a very diverse metagame. There's still so much to explore with Z-Moves on previously forgotten Pokemon because of stat boosts, and there are so many ways to be creative. I'm loving Z-Hypnosis Xurkitree, which gives +1 Speed and puts something to sleep for you to Tail Glow the next turn. Energy Ball/Thunder (I can't resist but use Thunder in Rain) is perfectly fine coverage just because a +3 hit coming off of a Xurkitree is ridiculous and Beast Boost is just over the top powerful. There's so much more utility to Z-Moves than using a single very powerful move. Also, Scarf Xurkitree is also really fun because it can throw out such powerful Volt Switches, prompting people to risk their ground types. I can't decide which one I like more. I'm infatuated with Scarf Beast-Boost Thunder.

As for the new threats, I'm seeing a lot more Tapu Koko than I am Pheromosa, interestingly. Tapu Koko is remarkably difficult to switch into because of Electric Terrain despite its SAtk being pretty average. Its power almost compares to Xurkitree and it has a Fairy typing and amazing speed tier on top of that. The only downside is that anything but electric attacks feel quite weak, especially when they're not backed by a Life Orb or Specs. Another thing I seem to be seeing practically every other game is Dugtrio. Dugtrio is really, really good right now. The Attack buff really did make a difference because now some things that previously didn't care about getting trapped are getting 2HKOd. Not only that, but it fits on every playstyle. I don't know if I really like the surge of Dugtrio. On my teams with Tapu Koko, I find myself running U-turn over Volt Switch just to prevent myself from losing to Duggy.

Anyway, despite all the changes, I'm excited. There's still a lot to explore within the new mons that aren't receiving much love. Bewear, Aquarachnid, Vikavolt, and Ribombee are all on my radar right now. It takes awhile for people to realize potential and that's what makes me excited for new generations. Terrakion in BW, for example, was UU for some time until it rose up to top tier OU all of a sudden. I really hope something like that happens here.

I've noticed that Poison and Paralyze are hard to get off on teams because Steel, Poison, Ground and Electric types fill every team. Also U-switch is very common which helps people make the right predictions on avoiding status, there's Misty Terrain, and the extreme offensive power of everything coupled with the variety of threats just makes status less impactful when you do get it off because every turn has the potential to start a 3 or 4 for 1 sweep or something. In this meta, it's far better to pack things like Haze/Unaware+Recover on very bulky general-response mons than to rely on status.

I also think that coverage cleaners like Infernape are largely useless in this meta, which is about straight out plowing through the other team or perhaps boosting beforehand. The first reason is there are too many scarfs, neutral hits due to secondary typing, king's shield on a mon you're supposed to be good against, super effective hits that get countered by high defense and then you're KO'ed in return, mons that hit so hard you can't switch in your coverage cleaner on them and/or they're a U-switch mon so there's no point switching in anyway, and such. The second reason is that there are so many things you need to pack on your team that something without utility which is also not a wincon and doesn't counter anything is hard to fit, let alone justify over Braindeadus, Megagross, Genesect, (notice how all 3 of those examples are coincidentally immune to Paralyse/Poison?) and so on. The only exception I can think of is Greninja, because it itself is overpowered.

Last edited:
I've noticed that Poison and Paralyze are hard to get off on teams because Steel, Poison, Ground and Electric types fill every team. Also U-switch is very common which helps people make the right predictions on avoiding status, there's Misty Terrain, and the extreme offensive power of everything coupled with the variety of threats just makes status less impactful when you do get it off because every turn has the potential to start a 3 or 4 for 1 sweep or something. In this meta, it's far better to pack things like Haze/Unaware+Recover on very bulky general-response mons than to rely on status.
Nope, Toxic is freaking everywhere, precisely because there's so much shit to check and millions of bulky set up mons not immune to it that Toxic becomes valuable this time around... people were using Toxic on freaking Zygarde-Complete when still on the tier, and Aegislash running Toxic are becoming more and more common... notice those are bulky offensive mons with very good defensive typing; they are the ones spreading this status, it's almost always guaranteed to surprise anything switching in after you checked somenthing. That applies to mons like A-Marowak, Celesteela... concidence or not both mons will not give a shit do steel or poison mons most of the time.
Even worse, people running Salazzle just to Toxic anything you want, from Toxapex to Heatran. Misty Terrain is a thing, but only if the opponent has the room to use Tapu Fini in the first place.

Basically, Toxic are becoming more used by tanks, not walls like before (and walls will almost always have Toxic anyway).

Para and burn are far less common now, especially because both got nerfed (para is a bitch now because Electric mons and A-Marowak are everywhere), but they are out there too.

Nope, Toxic is freaking everywhere, precisely because there's so much shit to check and millions of bulky set up mons not immune to it that Toxic becomes valuable this time around... people were using Toxic on freaking Zygarde-Complete when still on the tier, and Aegislash running Toxic are becoming more and more common... notice those are bulky offensive mons with very good defensive typing; they are the ones spreading this status, it's almost always guaranteed to surprise anything switching in after you checked somenthing. That applies to mons like A-Marowak, Celesteela... concidence or not both mons will not give a shit do steel or poison mons most of the time.
Even worse, people running Salazzle just to Toxic anything you want, from Toxapex to Heatran. Misty Terrain is a thing, but only if the opponent has the room to use Tapu Fini in the first place.

Basically, Toxic are becoming more used by tanks, not walls like before (and walls will almost always have Toxic anyway).

Para and burn are far less common now, especially because both got nerfed (para is a bitch now because Electric mons and A-Marowak are everywhere), but they are out there too.
Yeah I should have clarified. Toxic on stuff like Blissey is out, and Toxic to replace what would have been a coverage move is in.

Why give it an Assault Vest when it's weak to Stealth Rock? Why try to boost when its ability is going to take those boosts away?
The boosting sets are easily its worst ones imo, but it still works lategame when everything's weakened and unable to take multiple hits. Also, AV because with a 252 HP / 4 SpD bulk EV spread, your stats defensively are 354 / 316 / 326. That's fucking INSANE for how much power it packs and how often you're running four attacks anyway. It's an amazing pivot and cleaner and should be used as such.

P.S. Its ability only activates once. So on an SD set you can Leech Life after you're below half, and THEN set up.

I think the thing about Golisopod is you don't just put it on any team. You really want to pair it with something that needs a free switch-in and something that can clear rocks for it. Life Orb sets can work very well but I'd probably lean towards First Impression/Leech Life/Sucker Punch/Aqua Jet with an Assault Vest.

termi

bike is short for bichael
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor
For those of you who were disappointed that Garchomp still doesn't learn Dragon Dance or some other way to boost its speed, you'll be most delighted to know that Garchomp actually can do something way cooler:

Aurora (Garchomp) @ Rockium Z
Ability: Sand Veil
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Sandstorm
- Earthquake
- Dragon Claw/Stone Edge

This is the Chomper for Good Boys. I'm way too nice of a person to use shitty Sand Stream + Sand Veil strats that are apparently legal atm, but I do love this set, it's a lot of fun to play with. The game plan is simple: get in on something that is slower and/or can't touch Garchomp, get up a Z-Sandstorm to get +1 Speed while you simultaneously nab that Sand Veil boost and make Garchomp an absolute dick to hit, then depending on how hard you have to hit you either accumulate an SD boost or two or you just go to town vs your opponent's weakened team. The evasiveness boost really matters, it makes it easier to set Chomp up and can dodge attacks from faster revenge killers like Scarf Keldeo (don't rely on Sand Veil unless you have to, though). Loves to have Magnezone around in order to take care of troublesome mons like Celesteela and Skarmory.

I've only used this set with Dragon Claw, but Stone Edge seems like a viable alternative considering it retains great coverage while allowing you to opt for a 180 BP Tectonic Rage over Sandstorm when you're dealing with bulky teams. It can do pretty nice shit after an SD or two:

+2 252 Atk Garchomp Tectonic Rage vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Skarmory: 292-344 (87.4 - 102.9%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
+2 252 Atk Garchomp Tectonic Rage vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Celesteela: 380-448 (95.4 - 112.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
+2 252 Atk Garchomp Tectonic Rage vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Rotom-W: 269-317 (88.7 - 104.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
+3 252 Atk Garchomp Tectonic Rage vs. 252 HP / 240+ Def Landorus-T: 381-449 (99.7 - 117.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

Finally, a replay where I get myself in a tough situation and decide my best shot at winning is to simply bullshit my way through with this set: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7pokebankou-483104932

For my offence team I'm currently enjoying as a lead...

Dugtrio @ Focus Sash
Ability: Arena Trap
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Memento
- Sucker Punch
- Earthquake

I know, I know, I know - Dugtrio is a trapper, nothing more. However I think that trapping gives him legs as a lead. He has enough speed to easily get out SR, and then he has strong attacks, or he gives you the switch advantage because they can't switch out, or you use Memento for a bona fide set up opportunity. Too bad he doesn't learn Taunt, but still, it's not a bad set.

I feel like people once again forget trick room and its viability currently. there are a lot of very powerful pokemon that can run trickroom, and with how many high attack and slow pokemon are running about, and how many fast sweepers are about, more attention should be on it. I'm running this team in ou and I'm doing pretty good:

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-483288146

Dr Doom (Guzzlord) @ Chesto Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Adamant Nature
- Rest
- Earthquake
- Crunch
- Substitute
Cleanup Crew (Golisopod) @ Life Orb
Ability: Emergency Exit
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Adamant Nature
- First Impression
- Liquidation
- Leech Life
- Sucker Punch
Blueprint (Celesteela) @ Assault Vest
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Heavy Slam
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Seed Bomb
Deathstalker (Necrozma) @ Psychium Z
Ability: Prism Armor
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Trick Room
- Stealth Rock
- Psychic
- Dark Pulse
Pikachu (Mimikyu) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Disguise
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Trick Room
- Toxic
- Destiny Bond
- Play Rough
Washiwishi (Wishiwashi) @ Leftovers
Ability: Schooling
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Ice Beam
- Scald

Galisopod, Guzzlord, and Celesteela core is really good. Guzzlord kills aegislash, Celesteela kills all the tapu's, and Galisopod cleans up whatever is left behind after trick room is over. with mimikyu's focus sash and disquise it almost always sets up two trickrooms, cripples a tank with toxic or kills one with desity bond. Necrozma is a second trickroomer, sets up rocks instead of toxic, and almost always trades 1 for 1 with its z move as well as works as a stall breaker. wishiwashi is the real stall breaker and with its high damage and bulk usually wins in 1 on 1 stalls. what do y'all think?

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned deucer.
Eletric terrain prevents rest/wakes them up other than guzzlord Your team looks like it'd be smashed apart by electric spam like volt turns

Also invest in hp for guzzlord is awful You get way more out of investing in its defenses

I think Trick Room actually took a heavy nerf with Psychic Terrain, it was certainly helpful on TR to be able to boost and then use priority - but now you really can't so easily.

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned deucer.
Well give Mimikyu a mental herb and other than schappy fake out then mega evolve kangakhan, it's basically an unstoppable trick room set up and psychic terrain could definitely be used for the TR team, the point of it it to abuse insane offense and bulk and to make some pokemon viable instead of playing a non sense speed cripple game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)