Pokémon Kommo-o

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm going to be using this thing a lot. I've enjoyed the autotomize and specs sets. I don't think it's omg amazing atm, but I think it will get better as they give it more. Here's to hoping we get shell smash confirmation lol.
Its how crazy his Satk sets are , Im currently using one Assault vest with flametrower/clangingscales/focusblast/eartquake. And he can also run a band set and a sd set that destroy the av set counters.

So I've wanted to try this thing out so badly, but deduced that stopping Fairies is literally out of the question. I wanna throw out questioning the viability of a WU (Work Up) mixed set. It has some nice tools to spam on both sides of the physical and special spectrum, but not many people wanna try out both.

I really don't care about stopping Fairies, but I thought about a set like this

Kommo-o @ Life Orb/Lum Berry
Ability: Bulletproof
EVs: 128 Atk / 124 SpA / 252 Spd
Naive Nature
- Work Up
- Clanging Scales/Draco Meteor
- Sky Uppercut
- EQ/Poison Jab/Flamethrower

Only problem I see with this moveset is I don't know what benchmarks to try and hit on either end of the spectrum, and trading killing power for versatility. A neat idea, but I'd like feedback on it.

Yknow, I thought this pokemon would be very good. Like in competitively, I thought a psuedo legend Dragon/Fighting would be awesome, until I remembered fairy types. I had been debating whether to use Bewear or this, and after looking over stats and crap, I think I might just go Bewear. Which do you guys think would be better for comp/just for fun in game?

I've been having pretty good results from just a life orb sp. atk set. it loses a little power from specs, but yer free to hit things with yer solid coverage.

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned deucer.
Why is everyone saying aleislash walls this when it should be the other way around.

Bullet proof makes You immune to shadow ball and You have earthquake

I think it will be amazing at its handful of match ups it can abuse

There is still Flash Cannon that it has to worry about, and iirc most Aegislash in OU right now are carrying both that and Shadow Ball.

Why is everyone saying aleislash walls this when it should be the other way around.

Bullet proof makes You immune to shadow ball and You have earthquake

I think it will be amazing at its handful of match ups it can abuse
You also have Flamethrower to deal with it as well, and yes Bullet proof is great vs him. Soundproof helps you vs other targets though

ManOfMany

I can make anything real
is a Tiering Contributor

Kommo-o @ Leftovers
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Taunt
- Clanging Scales
- Flash Cannon
- Flamethrower

This set is cool. If Aegislash leaves it will be a lot better, since you can use Focus Blast over Flamethrower.

Last edited:
Well this is rather disappointing. Ran a calc with Modest LO Flamethrower vs Aegislash and this is what I got

252+ SpA Life Orb Kommo-o Flamethrower vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Aegislash-Shield: 164-195 (50.6 - 60.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

And inversely (assuming a WP set)

+2 252+ SpA Aegislash-Blade Flash Cannon vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Kommo-o: 306-361 (105.1 - 124%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Although it may be okay with some bulk, it dies with a follow-up Shadow Sneak (assuming they run it)

Too bad the special set gets walled by Aegis real nicely.

Also could someone say the optimal spreads for usual Aegis right now?

I was racking my brain thinking what set up sweeper could best benefit from the defense Ninetales A's Aurora Veil grants, and I think the answer is Kommo-O. In fact, I'd almost go as far to say the two were made for each other.

Kommo-O has great dual STAB and coverage options, and decent enough coverage. It also fairs well against Tyranitar based Sand Offense and Sun, which is good for Ninetales.

The two have great offensive and defensive type synergy, with the fox resisting ice and being immune to dragon moves, as well as hitting bulky flying, ground and grass types like Landorus, Garchomp, Hippowdon, Tapu Bulu, and Tangrowth with SE Blizzard. It can also hit Defensive Waters like Slowbro, Mantine, Pelliper and Toxapex with STAB Freeze Dry, which is cool. Pun intended!

In return, the lizard resists the Rock and Fire moves Ninetales hates and hits Steels with its Fighting STAB. It also has the option to be immune to Gyro Ball, Sludge Bomb, and things like Shadow Ball with Bulletproof for extra defensive synergy. Its natural bulk also ensures that even without investment, while under Aurora Veil, the only thing that will one shot it is Fairy moves.

But the real icing on the cake that makes the two a natural pair IMO is that Kommo-O has Overcoat. Aurora Veil is great at bolstering both Defense and Sp Denfense, which would be a boon for any set up sweeper, but the chip damage from hail is counterproductive on most sweepers, making the sweeper easier to revenge kill. For example, the hail damage would make pairing Ninetales with other set up dragon sweepers like Dragonite or Charizard X less ideal as the chip damage breaks Multiscale and doesn't go well with Flare Blitz recoil.

Not so with Kommo-O! While it sets up under AV and sweeps, not only is it not taking chip damage, but the hail also damages the opponent's mons, or otherwise negates their Leftovers recovery, aiding the dragon's sweep.

I can't wait to give these two a try together!

Last edited:
Kommo-o stats has me thinking of trying out an oldie but Goldie bulky dragon dance set similar to VGC '14 Bulky Dragon Dance Gyarados. I'm working on showdown calculator to work the numbers

Well this is rather disappointing. Ran a calc with Modest LO Flamethrower vs Aegislash and this is what I got

252+ SpA Life Orb Kommo-o Flamethrower vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Aegislash-Shield: 164-195 (50.6 - 60.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

And inversely (assuming a WP set)

+2 252+ SpA Aegislash-Blade Flash Cannon vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Kommo-o: 306-361 (105.1 - 124%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Although it may be okay with some bulk, it dies with a follow-up Shadow Sneak (assuming they run it)

Too bad the special set gets walled by Aegis real nicely.

Also could someone say the optimal spreads for usual Aegis right now?
+2 Special Attack Aegislash? It doesn't learn nasty plot.

This is straight up Gen 7 Garchmop with arguably better typing and dragon dance+ other boosting moves. I don't understand how some of you can say it isn't OU just because of a relatively shallow movepool. He even gets poison jab to cover fairy weakness? I wonder if everyone said the same about garchomp because "dragon claw and e-quake isn't good enough."

for the ddance set I usually run shadow claw over poison jab or eq. Eq is a bit redundant in coverage as the type you'll gain advantage over only are electrics which can easily switch out and poison jab is less useful b/c fairies like mimikyu aren't actually weak to poison. Given the omnipotence of decidueye and aegislash I usually run shadow claw.

for the ddance set I usually run shadow claw over poison jab or eq. Eq is a bit redundant in coverage as the type you'll gain advantage over only are electrics which can easily switch out and poison jab is less useful b/c fairies like mimikyu aren't actually weak to poison. Given the omnipotence of decidueye and aegislash I usually run shadow claw.
Earthquake is very useful vs tapu kokos that think can switch into its attacks.

This is straight up Gen 7 Garchmop with arguably better typing and dragon dance+ other boosting moves. I don't understand how some of you can say it isn't OU just because of a relatively shallow movepool. He even gets poison jab to cover fairy weakness? I wonder if everyone said the same about garchomp because "dragon claw and e-quake isn't good enough."
Well for starters, it notably has more weaknesses than Garchomp, is also slower than a lot of OU offensive Pokemon. Unlike Dragonite, who has comparable speed, Kommo-o can't hit as hard on the offensive side as consistently as Garchomp or Dragonite can.

This Pokemon does have some uses though. It completely ROFLstomps Gengar with Bulletproof, since it's main STABS are useless on BP. Ferrothorn is also at risk since it is immune to Gyro Ball, and can die to either a Focus Blast or boosted Sky Uppercut.

I see it falling in the same range as Haxorus. Bitch can hit hard, but it's still rather limited, because at least EQ + Dragon Claw on Chomp has better coverage and less weaknesses than Dragon + Fighting coverage

Vague

Banned deucer.
All I ever see with this mon are DD sets and I don't understand why. There's literally no reason to ever prefer this over Zard X or even Dragonite. The only advantage this has over them is not being Rocks weak and perhaps Bulletproof. Zard hits aeons harder and Dnite can at least setup more reliably.

The only set I can see it running that makes use of its pros is Specs or to a lesser extent Special (maybe even mixed) Autotomize. Clanging Scales is super spammable when Fairies are gone, but they can't really switch-in with impunity due to its diverse enough movepool.

So if you want a Dragon Dancer use Zard or Nite. The most mileage you'll get with this is Specs.

Vague is kinda right, because I see this Pokemon getting the most use out of a special attacker set. It also seems to go wallbreaker. The question is which way to go with it. I have 3 options in mind. A Work Up or Substitute wallbreaker set. A Specs breaker set, and Automize sweeper moveset.

Kommo-o @ Life Orb/Leftovers/Choice Specs
EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Spd / 4 SpDef
Modest Nature
- Clanging Scales/Draco Meteor
- Flamethrower
- Focus Blast/Flash Cannon
- Work Up/Substitute/Automize/Flash Cannon

Depending on your particular flavor, Kommo-o can either punch big holes on neutral hits, or setup as needed. I like the Substitute set the most, because it gives you a lesser punish for missing Focus Blast.

It kinda seems like game freak was afraid of the dragon / fighting typing and didn't give this mon much else to work with. It has some nice things going for it but none of it really synergizes and it has no real stand out traits. The stats are pretty bad for a 600 BST mon. The all important HP and Speed stats are low. Both offenses are mediocre and the balance between them leaves less room for other stats to be good. Furthermore, the stats and abilities are defensively inclined while the typing is much more suited to offense. The signature move, while great, uses the lower offense.

Even with all that, good offensive typing and a high stat total could allow it to be a nice bulky offense mon, provided it receives some key tutor moves. these would be physical fighting moves and special setup moves, in my opinion. It needs these things in order to have enough offensive presence to trade hits with the rest of OU.

Last edited:
Something I think Kommo-o has going for it is his unpredictability. All of his abilities give an immunity to something, and until he starts revealing his moves, it'll be difficult to guess whether he's running a physical set or a special set, and the possibility of a mixed set complicates things further. He's a bit like Charizard in that way.

Comparing this to Garchomp is incredibly silly.

Garchomp has a far superior stat spread (more HP, far more attack and speed) and superior typing. Back in early gen IV Dragon + Ground STAB 2HKO'ed everything in OU at +2 (which was stupidly easy to set up) except for Skarmory, which took a massive chunk from +2 LO Fire Fang and couldn't do anything back except Whirlwind. It was by far the best pokemon in OU before it got banned.

This thing... has a weird stat spread. Despite having 600 BST it wastes too many stat points in defenses while having a mediocre HP stat, bad speed (for an offensive pokemon without priority) and mediocre offenses. Probably UU at best. What a waste of good offensive typing without the stats or moves to abuse them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)