ASB Official Tournament: Rounds 7 and 8 Pairings (WINNERS FINALS)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frosty

=_=
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
brackets.png
View attachment 74456

The rules for the battles are:
Bring 4, Pick 3 Singles. You PM 4 pokemons to the ref from your profile, but the battle will be 3vs3 singles. You will choose and send out your mons as the battle develops.
ASB Arena
Strict 72h Disqualification.
One warning per player. First warning (any tag after DQ interval is passed) resets the timer. If the player passes DQ interval a second time, DQ can be called, giving the player one hour to post (with full orders/pokemon, just saying "orders coming watch this space" doesn't suffice) after DQ is called to rescind it. If one hour passes, the player is DQ'd regardless of the ref posting or not. User calling DQ must tag DQ'd player. Referees please tag the combatants when you have finished your reffing. Players, if you know you're going to be away you better post a Leave of Absence BEFORE you leave, or give a very good reason in case of an emergency. DQ time won't pass during a valid LoA.
After 30 days, the DQ Interval will go to 48h.
67 days Time Limit:
After 67 days (christmas and new years) I reserve the right to forcibly end any matches that don't seem like ending anytime soon. Said matches will be judged by the voters. This Time Limit ends at February 8nd.
WINNERS FINALS: Five Warnings per player. No time limit. Same rules otherwise.
Infinite Recoveries/Chills per Pokémon.
Three Substitutions per player excluding KO Substitutions.
One Mega Evolution
Switch = OK
Abilities = ALL
Items = ON.
Arena: ASB Tournament Arena
Ubers Rule:
Mewtwo and Victini may be used in battle, but they will take up the mega slot of the player. Other pokemon may be included in this list as the tournament progresses.

LOA Rules:

1)
If your LoA makes you unable to post we will wait up to 4 days. The longer the wait the smaller my patience if you keep pulling that card, so I reserve the right of rescinding it. LoAs without a defined ETA will be read as 3 days. that is per instance. You can't pull it in a row without first dealing with your current orders.
2) If your LoA is of the "will be busier" type, you will get +24h extension until it is over. Maximum time for its duration is 15 days (so during those 15 days you get 24h extra time on your posts). The longer the wait the smaller my patience if you keep pulling that card, so I reserve the right of rescinding it. You can't pull it in a row without first dealing with your current orders.
3) If you have good reasons and your match is well advanced, those rules might be excepted. But don't count on it.

The matches are:

Winner's Bracket

Birkal vs Texas Cloverleaf
Ref: Toon (I hope you don't mind, but I need someone able to ref reliably with flavor)

Loser's Bracket

Its_A_Random vs Matezoide 2
Ref: Frosty

deadfox081 vs Gale Wing Srock 2 (oh the irony hahaha)
Ref: send to Frosty until I get a volunteer.

ALL PLAYERS HAVE PRECISELY 96h FROM THIS POST TO PM TEAMS TO REFs. Just like last round, refs can post threads as soon as they are ready.

Last edited:

Frosty

=_=
Reminders:

Prizes:

1) 1st place (Winner of Winners bracket): Choose between Kyogre and Groudon
2) 2nd place (Runner-up of Winner's bracket): Choose between Latios and Latias. Get the respective Mega Stone
3) 3rd place (Runner up of Losers bracket): Get the remaining one from Latios and Latias
4) 4th Place (Third Place of Losers bracket): 1 backdoor access to an Extended Dungeon TLR as well as 1 Max Revive and 1 Full Restore

This is under Gen VI until the end

Last edited by a moderator:
Me on having to face Matezoide in a tournament again:

no surprise who is who, screw gis for not giving me an image i wanted

Good luck Matezoide, may the best yolol win!
Haha, it really doesnt surprise me at this point, IAR.

Our matches are always close/fun, so i dont really mind. Best of luck man, may the best & win!

Frosty

=_=
Just so everybody is on the same page here:

1) the winner of texas vs birkal will be declared winner of the whole tournament and will get kyogre or groudon.
2) the loser of texas vs birkal will face the whoever wins the match between the winners of iar vs mate and gale vs deadfox, as per bracket above winners of gale vs deadfox and iar vs mate on a threeway. First place of it lati@s and mega stone, second place gets remaining lati@s without mega stone and third place of it gets 1 max revive, 1 full restore and one access to extended tlr. This means third place is guaranteed for texas and birkal.

So prizes are
1) 1st place (Winner of Winners bracket [DECIDED THIS ROUND]): Choose between Kyogre and Groudon
2) 2nd place (winner of Losers bracket [DECIDED NEXT ROUND]): Choose between Latios and Latias. Get the respective Mega Stone
3) 3rd place (Runner up of Losers bracket [DECIDED NEXT ROUND]): Get the remaining one from Latios and Latias
4) 4th Place (Third Place of Losers bracket [DECIDED NEXT ROUND]): 1 backdoor access to an Extended Dungeon TLR as well as 1 Max Revive and 1 Full Restore

Sure you can get a lower prize if you want.

So this tourney will have its complete end next round. But the winner will be known this round. Like dyae.

Last edited:

Texas Cloverleaf

This user has a custom title
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Just so everybody is on the same page here:

1) the winner of texas vs birkal will be declared winner of the whole tournament and will get kyogre or groudon.
2) the loser of texas vs birkal will face the winners of gale vs deadfox and iar vs mate on a threeway. First place of it lati@s and mega stone, second place gets remaining lati@s without mega stone and third place of it gets 1 max revive, 1 full restore and one access to extended tlr.

So prizes are
1) 1st place (Winner of Winners bracket [DECIDED THIS ROUND]): Choose between Kyogre and Groudon
2) 2nd place (winner of Losers bracket [DECIDED NEXT ROUND]): Choose between Latios and Latias. Get the respective Mega Stone
3) 3rd place (Runner up of Losers bracket [DECIDED NEXT ROUND]): Get the remaining one from Latios and Latias
4) 4th Place (Third Place of Losers bracket [DECIDED NEXT ROUND]): 1 backdoor access to an Extended Dungeon TLR as well as 1 Max Revive and 1 Full Restore

Sure you can get a lower prize if you want.

So this tourney will have its complete end next round. But the winner will be known this round. Like dyae.
I was under the impression that this was a double elimination tournament where you had to lose twice to be eliminated from contention for the big prize. Moreover that all matches were single matchup and the loser of the winners bracket would face the winner of the losers bracket before advancing to face the winner of the winners bracket for all the marbles.

These things were directly implicit by your bracket and the concept of double elimination. I'm concerned that this change is seemingly being made now and goes against expectation, moreover because said changes particularly disadvantaged the loser of me vs birkal

Frosty

=_=
I was under the impression that this was a double elimination tournament where you had to lose twice to be eliminated from contention for the big prize. Moreover that all matches were single matchup and the loser of the winners bracket would face the winner of the losers bracket before advancing to face the winner of the winners bracket for all the marbles.

These things were directly implicit by your bracket and the concept of double elimination. I'm concerned that this change is seemingly being made now and goes against expectation, moreover because said changes particularly disadvantaged the loser of me vs birkal

http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/asb-official-tournament-3-sign-ups.3552538/

The Winners final will give out the first prize (scroll below). The loser of the Winners final will go to the Losers finals for the second prize.
The first point, regarding Winner being decided on the first or the second battle, was set from the get-go and has precedent (DYAE). I am merely stating what was said before. The brackets do have the last battle, but that is a result of not existing any bracketmaker that does double elimination without the last battle (and me forgeting to edit it). That part stands, as far as I am concerned.

The threeway instead of one round I agree that it was a decision made now. If you (you and birkal) have no problems having an extra round, then I can comply with the winners loser getting third place guaranteed. The losers battles are coming on somewhat fast, so it is doable (since we are already too late anyway).

So, as far as I am concerned:

1) The winner of the winners bracket wins the entire thing. While this wasn't clear on the following rounds, it was clear on the first thread and those are the rules that should be followed by the letter here.
2) Fair enough, point taken. Ignore the threeway part. We will have another round of losers to define who will face the loser of winners.

Although the tourney com can overrule me in any of the matters above, so maybe you (or anyone else) should contact them should the rulings not satisfy you.

Texas Cloverleaf

is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/asb-official-tournament-3-sign-ups.3552538/

The first point, regarding Winner being decided on the first or the second battle, was set from the get-go and has precedent (DYAE). I am merely stating what was said before. The brackets do have the last battle, but that is a result of not existing any bracketmaker that does double elimination without the last battle (and me forgeting to edit it). That part stands, as far as I am concerned.

The threeway instead of one round I agree that it was a decision made now. If you (you and birkal) have no problems having an extra round, then I can comply with the winners loser getting third place guaranteed. The losers battles are coming on somewhat fast, so it is doable (since we are already too late anyway).

So, as far as I am concerned:

1) The winner of the winners bracket wins the entire thing. While this wasn't clear on the following rounds, it was clear on the first thread and those are the rules that should be followed by the letter here.
2) Fair enough, point taken. Ignore the threeway part. We will have another round of losers to define who will face the loser of winners.

Although the tourney com can overrule me in any of the matters above, so maybe you (or anyone else) should contact them should the rulings not satisfy you.
I am satisfied with that, I do think there's a fair argument to be made that the winner's winner would take it all in any case, I did not think that was true of moving to a three way.

Birkal

We have the technology.
is a Top Artistis a Top CAP Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
I would loathe to fight a threeway if I lose to Texas. I was of the understanding of this newest proposal. I agree with Texas on the loser of our match having guaranteed third. Thank you.

Frosty

=_=
http://www.smogon.com/forums/thread...ts_a_random-vs-gale-wing-srock.3592291/page-2

Its_A_Random advances and will face the loser of Birkal vs Texas Cloverleaf for the Second place

Gale Wing Srock gets Fourth Place and a guaranteed 1 backdoor access to an Extended Dungeon TLR as well as 1 Max Revive and 1 Full Restore. Won't get it now because some of the other three might pick it, leaving gale with a better prize. But we will see soon enough.

Texas Cloverleaf

"First off, congratulations to Birkal, he's obvious a deserving winner and an arguable top 3 ASBer of all time (though fourth in my rankings). His play is well deserving of being crowned the winner of the third ASB Official Tournament."

"That said, this is naturally a huge disappointment for me. Over the course of this tournament I pushed my game to the highest level it's seen, the highest it's ever likely to get. After the loss to Birkal in the opening match so long ago I recommitted myself to getting better and to finding a way to kill a fucking Kecleon. The battle against Frosty in the semifinals was probably the best game I've ever played, against one of the best players to ever play. And all that to come up short in the finals. What cuts the most is that I didn't come up short. I played well enough to win this damn tournament. I took my lessons from my first match against Birkal and found a Pokemon capable of beating Kecleon, found a Pokemon that could 1v1 a Kangaskhan, came out with a lineup that was able to beat the best he had. I put myself in a position to have the advantage going into the final matchup. Sadly for me, the RNG let me down and the 1/8 chance was fulfilled."

"But that's Pokemon. As frustrating and disappointing as this is, and as much as I dearly would have loved to take home a Kyogre, sometimes the dice don't roll in your favour. I played the best I could (at least until the most recent round) and it was good enough to do it and even though the result isn't one I wanted, that's something I can take comfort in."

"Something I wanted to prove to myself at the start of this tournament was that I wasn't just a veteran who was good at this game but that I was a veteran able to hang with the best. At that, at least, I think I succeeded."

Frosty

=_=
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANNNNNNNNNNNNNNND WE ARE DONE!

And for the grand prizes!

First Place: Birkal gets a GROUDON

Second Place: Texas Cloverleaf gets a LATIAS and Latiasite

Third Place: Its_A_Random gets a LATIOS

Fourth Place: Gale Wing Srock gets 1 backdoor access to an Extended Dungeon TLR (means you can access any TLR without needing to fulfill the requirements once) as well as 1 Max Revive and 1 Full Restore

Allright folks, this was a nice run. Until next time!

Birkal

We have the technology.
is a Top Artistis a Top CAP Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
What a weird tournament.

My first match against Texas Cloverlead started 479 days ago, with me getting a pretty handy win due to Kecleon and Mega Gardevoir; this was probably the most normal match I fought in this entire tournament. AOPSUser then forfeited due to an extended LoA, and YellowAdminSilver beat me pretty handily. It is kind of weird that in a tournament this long, you can have multiple losses and still win the whole thing. acidphoenix johned hard in round three, while Its_A_Random forfeited after I ORKO'd his Heracross with Mega Kangaskhan (although I am pretty sure I would have won both matches in the long run). This match against Gale Wing Srock was, far and away, the hardest match I fought this tournament. Gale didn't hold back at all, and came out swinging with Metronome Togekiss and was able to take out Kecleon almost singlehandedly with Necturna. I agonized over how to use Skill Swap with Aurumoth, and which abilities would suit me best for the remainder of the match. What an incredible battle, so huge kudos to Gale who I consider to be one of ASB's best.

The final match against Texas was, despite what some may say, also intense. It was terrifying to have to pit Mega Kangaskhan against Revenankh in the start, but I knew I couldn't risk Knock Off on Kecleon that early in the match. Mega Charizard was definitely a threat to Kecleon, but I don't agree with Texas in that it is the best answer. In fact, I think Charizard succeeded because it is a powerful Mega Evolution with a great movepool, and Texas used it effectively. Focus Punch + Dynamic Punch is a nasty combo that I've never considered; I will be stealing that in Fighting Gym! While I did get a lot of rolls my way at the end there, I hope onlookers will note that I worked hard in those last couple of rounds to manage those rolls in worst-case scenarios, and would have fought hard in the final match-up. Also, I was worried Texas was going to use a switch-forcing move, and although it would result in an ENKO of his Mega Charizard, it would force me to send out first in the final match-up, giving him a potential break-through. Regardless, you fought really well Texas, and I'm thankful you've been a good sport about it all.

Why write up all of this? Mostly because I like to recount these sorts of things. But I also want the tournament leaders to realize how much effort goes into battling in these tournaments. Mainly, consider how many rounds you are putting in your tournaments, and what that will mean for your battlers. Having a tournament that lasts over a year and a half is asinine, no matter how entertaining the matches are. In this time, I fought and won all of DYAE, made it to the finals of Little Cup Tournament and Team Tournament, and had to finish this tournament while fighting in five other matches that started both Monotype and Gen 7. I know that it is my fault for entering every tournament, but can you blame someone for wanting to participate in your tournaments? Ordering in a tournament is no easy thing -- I was climbing the ranks of AOT whilst beating Dogfish44 in an insane LCT semi-finals, or doing my best to fend off YAS in the finals of TT as my other teammates took a beating.

This was, by far, the most taxing tournament, and somehow I feel the least accomplished by it out of all of the other tournaments I have participated in. I am not sure why, but I am sure the timeline and the amount that is required of tournament battlers (seriously, screw that noise of making 50-move profiles on rental mons) could be rearranged. I would encourage you to think about how many rounds a tournament lasts -- four is the sweetspot in my opinion. But having hundreds of "laddering" matches at the start of your tournament, while getting more users to fight, really dilutes the quality and orders in those matches.

Anyways, I will get off my soapbox. Thanks to Frosty for being a phenomenal host, and thanks to the mods for constantly dealing with my whining. See y'all in AOT4!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)