Battle Tree Discussion and Records

Okay... I tried it with the team by annimon again and actually reached Red at battle 50! And then... I'm not sure what happened. It just became ridiculous. What did I do wrong? Please tell me!

Here's the code: 626W-WWWW-WWW2-GGM2

Okay... I tried it with the team by annimon again and actually reached Red at battle 50! And then... I'm not sure what happened. It just became ridiculous. What did I do wrong? Please tell me!

Here's the code: 626W-WWWW-WWW2-GGM2
Lapras-4 taking that Leaf Blade was brutal, but it can tank it.

252 Atk Kartana Leaf Blade vs. 0 HP / 252 Def Lapras: 180-212 (87.8 - 103.4%) -- 18.8% chance to OHKO

I think you would have won if you used Leech Life again on Snorlax instead of going for the kill with Liquidation. You probably would have survived another Double-Edge and then safely finish it off.

Take Azelfie

More flags more fun
Does the AI know predict if you Z conversion into a Ghost-type like versus a Hariyama or something? If not I might base my lead around PZ

Lapras-4 taking that Leaf Blade was brutal, but it can tank it.

252 Atk Kartana Leaf Blade vs. 0 HP / 252 Def Lapras: 180-212 (87.8 - 103.4%) -- 18.8% chance to OHKO

I think you would have won if you used Leech Life again on Snorlax instead of going for the kill with Liquidation. You probably would have survived another Double-Edge and then safely finish it off.
Thank you very much! Yeah, when I watched the battle again I noticed that I should have done something different with Snorlax.
But since I came this far with this team, I'll try it again!

Uploading some battle videos showcasing various AI quirks. This first one will give context to the second video..

LN6W WWWW WWW2 GLPS - This shows that the AI is indeed capable of mega evolving Garchomp4 under as of yet unknown circumstances. (Probably to secure an OHKO)

9NTW WWWW WWW2 GMWG - This shows that sometimes the AI refuses to Mega Evolve Garchomp4. (Veteran Dooley cannot use Garchomp1 or Garchomp2, and Garchomp3 does not carry Sandstorm)

D72G WWWW WWW2 GLR8 - This shows that the AI can and will switch out if their active Pokemon is incapable of damaging your active Pokemon (Mega Steelix4's moveset is Sandstorm/Gyro Ball/Earthquake/Stone Edge, and was PP stalled out of Gyro Ball and Stone Edge by Dragonite.)

KBEG WWWW WWW2 GM6F - On turn 1, the AI switches Cradily34(shown to be Cradily3 later in the battle) out against Dragonite. Cradily3's moveset is Toxic/Protect/Sandstorm/Earthquake. This shows that the AI can still switch out even if they have a Status move that can damage you. An earlier battle against lead Tauros4 (Protect/Toxic/Double Team/Earthquake) reinforces this point.

PSXW WWWW WWW2 GMCN - The AI does not switch Cresselia2(Moonlight/Double Team/Toxic/Protect) out of Aegislash despite being unable to do anything to it. Someone investigate this more to find out whether sets like Cresselia2 and Weezing4 can be recalled by the AI.

I have more interesting Battle Videos, but they cannot be uploaded for reasons unknown. One of those is proof that the AI will switch after running out of PP on a Choice-Locked move (Typhlosion3 uses Eruption 5 times against Dragonite, then switches out.)

I've just beaten Super Singles on my second try.
Lost the first run at 47 to a Quick Claw Golisopod that got a critical hit and two Quick Claw activations in three turns. Typical battle facility hax bullshit. -.-
Whatever...

This is the team that I've used. It worked very well and was great fun.

Garchomp @ Focus Sash
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Claw
- Earthquake
- Rock Tomb
- Swords Dance

Standard Focus Sash Garchomp is the lead.
Sometimes this thing wins games on its own with a Swords Dance sweep or simply offensive coverage.
Other times it at least gets one or two heavy hits in or slows something down with Rock Tomb before fainting.
Most of the time it either wins the battle or leaves something heavily weakened.

Nihilego @ Life Orb
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Power Gem
- Sludge Wave
- Grass Knot
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Usually Nihilego is the switchin after Garchomp faints or if it runs into something problematic like Whimsicott.
Nihilego has the STAB moves to eliminate opposing Ice- and Fairy-types for Garchomp.
Beast Boost increases Nihilego's Special Attack after the Ultra Beast revenge kills whatever Garchomp left behind.
A few times I wished that I had Hidden Power [Fire] on this moveset. Nevertheless, Hidden Power [Ice] wasn't useless so I'm happy with my choice.
Grass Knot was great.

Gyarados @ Gyaradosite
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Waterfall
- Crunch
- Earthquake
- Dragon Dance

Mega Gyarados is the final team member.
Gameplan #1 is to finish sweeping with this Mega shrimp after Garchomp and Nihilego have done their work and fainted.
Gameplan #2 is to read the AI and steal an easy Dragon Dance against something like Slowbro, Slowking or Weavile and sweep from there.
It also occasionally hits the field if Nihilego is not the right choice after Garchomp fainted.
Mega Gyarados has a solid matchup against all of Nihilego's weaknesses.
This is the one EV spread that could be adjusted, but I'm not really sure what to calc for so I just used the simple 252 / 252 / 4 spread.

These three have great offensive and (to a degree) defensive synergy together. Just chain their sweeps and you will annihilate your opponents.

Against some opponents it could be wise to preserve a healthy Focus Sash Garchomp for the lategame, but you'll have to make that call on your own.
I didn't use the trainer / moveset databases for this run and almost regretted it once when I was left with Gyarados against Raikou in one battle.
Luckily Mega Gyarados survived the Thunderbolt, didn't get paralyzed and managed to dance and Earthquake for the win.

Last edited:

Smuckem

Resident Facility Bot Wannabe
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
KBEG WWWW WWW2 GM6F - On turn 1, the AI switches Cradily34(shown to be Cradily3 later in the battle) out against Dragonite. Cradily3's moveset is Toxic/Protect/Sandstorm/Earthquake. This shows that the AI can still switch out even if they have a Status move that can damage you. An earlier battle against lead Tauros4 (Protect/Toxic/Double Team/Earthquake) reinforces this point.

PSXW WWWW WWW2 GMCN - The AI does not switch Cresselia2(Moonlight/Double Team/Toxic/Protect) out of Aegislash despite being unable to do anything to it. Someone investigate this more to find out whether sets like Cresselia2 and Weezing4 can be recalled by the AI.
There could be something specific to the Earthquake/Toxic combo (or possibly EQ/Toxic/Protect) that triggers this response in the AI when dealing with Flyers (this says nothing about whether they will try to Toxic Levitators), which may help explain the lack of switching with the others (no EQ on hand). Something to do with the code, maybe?

I did some testing based on a comment I read somewhere else.

I hacked a 252/252/252/252/252/252 level 5 Kabuto to see if I could use it and its cheated EVs in the Tree. I was allowed to battle, but I could not upload the battle video to the internet.

Just an FYI on what the Tree will allow.

Uploading some battle videos showcasing various AI quirks. This first one will give context to the second video..

LN6W WWWW WWW2 GLPS - This shows that the AI is indeed capable of mega evolving Garchomp4 under as of yet unknown circumstances. (Probably to secure an OHKO)

9NTW WWWW WWW2 GMWG - This shows that sometimes the AI refuses to Mega Evolve Garchomp4. (Veteran Dooley cannot use Garchomp1 or Garchomp2, and Garchomp3 does not carry Sandstorm)

D72G WWWW WWW2 GLR8 - This shows that the AI can and will switch out if their active Pokemon is incapable of damaging your active Pokemon (Mega Steelix4's moveset is Sandstorm/Gyro Ball/Earthquake/Stone Edge, and was PP stalled out of Gyro Ball and Stone Edge by Dragonite.)

I have more interesting Battle Videos, but they cannot be uploaded for reasons unknown. One of those is proof that the AI will switch after running out of PP on a Choice-Locked move (Typhlosion3 uses Eruption 5 times against Dragonite, then switches out.)
I don't have video, but I can confirm that AI will switch out a Choice Band/Scarf/Specs Pokémon if it cannot damage you. Also, it will choose whatever move will hurt your current Pokémon the most even if it means it will not be able to damage the next. Had a last Pokémon left Choice Band Aerodactyl use Earthquake vs my Aegislash knowing I still had my Dragonite left.

I just reached 80 in Super Doubles and still going strong. Wondering if anyone has suggestions for my team

Tapu Koko @ Choice Specs
Electrics Surge
Timid - 252 Spa, 252 Spe, 4 Hp
-Thunderbolt
-Grass Knot
-Dazzling Gleam
-HP Ice

Raichu-A @ Life Orb
Surge Surfer
Modest - 252 Spa, 252 Spe, 4 Hp
-Thunderbolt
-Grass Knot
-Psychic
-Protect

Gyarados @ gyaradosite
Intimidate
Adamant- 252 Atk, 252 Spe, 4 Hp
-Waterfall
-Crunch
-Ice Fang
-Protect

Garchomp Lum Berry
Sand Veil
Jolly - 252 Atk, 252 Spe, 4 Hp
-Earthquake
-Outrage
-Fire Fang
-Swords Dance

The straregy for this team is usually to dual thunderbolt if possible. Depending on the lead of the opponenets, gyradis is usually a good switch in to weaken physical attackers and dodge EQs thrown out at the two electric type leaks. Garchomp can switch in to absorb electric attacks thrown at gyarados, and is just generally good.
I am planning a Koko/Raichu team too, but one thing I question and hope someone can answer - does Raichu-A need any speed investment with Electric Terrain? With Surge Surfer (and going by Maison speed tiers, I don't know if there's any for the Tree yet) wouldn't it be able to outspeed most of the place with 0?

I am planning a Koko/Raichu team too, but one thing I question and hope someone can answer - does Raichu-A need any speed investment with Electric Terrain? With Surge Surfer (and going by Maison speed tiers, I don't know if there's any for the Tree yet) wouldn't it be able to outspeed most of the place with 0?
If the speed list posted earlier can be trusted, Modest Raichu-A with 0 Speed investment (130 speed) will just barely edge out Manectric-4 (258) after the Surge Surfer boost. Only problem would be if your terrain runs out, Raichu may become a liability. Still may be worth trying to bulk him up a little with those 252 EV though.

Preliminary Speed tiers, based on GG Unit's Google document: http://pastebin.com/0QBULpdW

There might still be errors, especially with Speed-decreasing nature rounding.

I appreciate the helpful multi battle replies! One last question, has anyone here tried to scout the same trainer twice? I just beat Wally again in Singles and I'm scared I'll lose the Mega chomp I got 24 wins with so far in Multis. It says I can do it I'm just unsure if it replaces his current lineup or if I can have multiple Wally lineups to choose from

I appreciate the helpful multi battle replies! One last question, has anyone here tried to scout the same trainer twice? I just beat Wally again in Singles and I'm scared I'll lose the Mega chomp I got 24 wins with so far in Multis. It says I can do it I'm just unsure if it replaces his current lineup or if I can have multiple Wally lineups to choose from
Yes, they get replaced. So if you like the last Wally you faced, scout him, but if you didnt then dont.

I did some testing based on a comment I read somewhere else.

I hacked a 252/252/252/252/252/252 level 5 Kabuto to see if I could use it and its cheated EVs in the Tree. I was allowed to battle, but I could not upload the battle video to the internet.

Just an FYI on what the Tree will allow.
When i get to 200 im planning to do a hacked team (Like that dude with Protean Mega Gengar in Battle Maison) just for fun. I would like to know if those are still allow, at least in game.

I don't have video, but I can confirm that AI will switch out a Choice Band/Scarf/Specs Pokémon if it cannot damage you. Also, it will choose whatever move will hurt your current Pokémon the most even if it means it will not be able to damage the next. Had a last Pokémon left Choice Band Aerodactyl use Earthquake vs my Aegislash knowing I still had my Dragonite left.
Those are known Gen 6 behaviors. My post was mainly to report on changes to AI behavior.

Plus

中国风暴 trademark
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Tried out some cookie cutter bulky offense in battle tree and got to 50 on super singles with this:

Tapu Bulu @ Terrain Extender
Ability: Grassy Surge
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Horn Leech
- Megahorn
- Superpower
- Swords Dance

Was too lazy to grind this to 100 and bottle cap its speed which sucks b/c I got outsped by some of the dumbest shit, but at least it got the job done. This is the sweepiest member of the team: click Horn Leech to attack or go straight to the Toxapex when you predict an Ice-type attack. Terrain Extender is nice so Toxapex and Aegislash gain 12.5% recovery per turn, Aegislash can King's Shield on the turn it comes in for an additional 12.5% if you want. Both switch-ins are also able to tank EQs from various mons as well with Grassy Terrain, so you can do some toxistall shenanigans and switch around to utilize the recovery.

Toxapex @ Black Sludge
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 196 Def / 64 Spd
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Toxic
- Recover
- Haze

Easily the MVP of Battle Tree if only because it prevents cheesy shit like Stockpile Walrein or random Calm Minders to set up for days on this team thanks to Haze. Toxic never misses either since you're Poison-type so don't worry about the Double Team cheese. Toxapex can usually beat anything by sitting there and clicking Scald or Toxic, and switching out on occassion if you want the quicker kill with Aegi or Bulu. Regenerator also comes in handy if you need to switch out because your opponent gets a lucky spdef drop from a stray Flash Cannon or Energy Ball. In a format where you can't prepare for every threat, Toxapex comes pretty damn close in handling them all.

Aegislash Leftovers
Ability: Stance Change
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 Atk
Quiet Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Sacred Sword
- King's Shield
- Shadow Sneak

Very important to this team because of the Flying and Psychic resists it provides. This saved me against a guy who ran Latios/Tornadus/Raikou against my team, and is generally a very reliable backbone to use in combination with Grassy Terrain. You can recover a quarter of your health on the turn you switch this in if you King's Shield while Grassy Terrain is on the field. Aegislash benefits from the other two teammates nicely by nature of how it plays because burning free turns works in this team's favor. Since the AI is retarded, you can really exploit King's Shield for free turns of health.

Just got to 41 in Super Singles with what I had between Tapus and UBs (decent IVs and EV trained). I lost to a White Herb Shell Smash Kommo-o. Didn't realize until after losing that apparently Shell Smash Kommo-o isn't even available to players so I didn't save the replay. He shell smashed on Turn 1 as I switched to Tapu Fini who Was then outsped and OHKO'd by Poison Jab. Sky Uppercutted my other two Pokemon and it was over that fast

Kartana@Life Orb
Beast Boost
252 Atk/252 Spd/4 HP
31 IVs in Atk and Spd
Jolly
-Leaf Blade
-Sacred Sword
-Smart Strike
-Night Slash

Led with this in hopes of a OHKO or 2OHKO agaimst a physical attacker. if that worked pretty easy to setup or at least put a big dent in the team

Tapu Fini@Leftovers
Misty Surge
252 HP/252 Spd/4 SpAtk
31 IVs in SpAtk, HP, and Spd
Timid
-Calm Mind
-Surf
-Moonblast
-Protect

Bulkyish and could eat up most fire attacks that came at Kartana. Would either just attack or set up calm mind if the opponent was a status user who couldn't do anything against Misty Terrain (which the AI hasn't figured out)

Nihilego@Poisonium Z
Beast Boost
252 SpAtk/252 Spd/4 HP
31 IVs in SpAtk and Spd
Timid
-Power Gem
-Sludge Wave
-Thunderbolt
-Grass Knot

Special attacker who usually relied on a weakened foe to gain an easy Beast Boost. Honestly underwhelming and any physical attack cleaned his clock.

If the speed list posted earlier can be trusted, Modest Raichu-A with 0 Speed investment (130 speed) will just barely edge out Manectric-4 (258) after the Surge Surfer boost. Only problem would be if your terrain runs out, Raichu may become a liability. Still may be worth trying to bulk him up a little with those 252 EV though.
Any suggestion for how to spread out the bulk? In my experience Raichu's physical bulk is abysmal and gets OHKO by many neutral physical attacks (which also makes it good protect bait)

Trying a bulu/triage comfey core with a mega metagross and eviolite type null in the back for doubles. The heals are so fun. Comfey can allow them to set up so well because it can heal practically all their health. Eviolite type null is a tank as well. I'll post my exact team later.

Psynergy

Triumph and Glory
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Battle Stadium Head
So I got a 50 streak in super Singles and recently got a 50 streak in Super Doubles, having a lot more fun with Battle Tree than I did with Maison (even though I had enough patience to get all 5 trophies in two games). Had a good time running this for singles:

Salamence-Mega @ Salamencite
Ability: Aerilate
Level: 50
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Double-Edge
- Earthquake
- Dragon Dance
- Roost

Pretty simple stuff, Salamence kills stuff but with the Aerilate nerf I don't trust anything other than Adamant Double-Edge. I initially ran Return but my hesitation with it cost me my first streak in the late 30s when I switched out and got Celesteela frozen by Ice Beam, so I've just gone all-in with Double-Edge since. Recoil sucks but when I'm killing stuff that's fine. Intimidate also makes it a great lead etc

Celesteela @ Leftovers
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 252 HP / 44 Def / 200 SpD / 12 Spe
Impish Nature
- Heavy Slam
- Leech Seed
- Substitute
- Protect

A SubSeeder seems slow and inefficient for Battle Tree but it was reliable and got me out of a ton of sketchy situations, Celesteela is just that good at this. I'll usually be switching into special moves so the special bulk made more sense, though I initially had meant to run roughly even bulk and apparently messed that up by accident. It's just a reliable mon to switch into most of the time when Salamence goes down or I don't trust it to be able to set up or OHKO something.

Marowak-Alola @ Thick Club
Ability: Lightning Rod
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Shadow Bone
- Bonemerang
- Stone Edge

This thing actually sucks lol it doesn't even check Ice or Electric types since they all have Shadow Ball/Dark Pulse. When it worked it worked well but there were too many fights where I switched Salamence out in front of the oddly bulky Glalies only to get hit by a Dark Pulse/Shadow Ball and died the next turn. Still, it was better than not having an Electric switch-in so I have to give it credit there. I'm definitely switching this out when I continue later though. I'll probably run something like Salamence/Scarf Tapu Lele/Aegislash or AV Magnezone continuing onwards though.

For Doubles I had an easier time though I didn't run a Mega there, opting for Garchomp instead and adding my Hyper Trained Scarf Tapu Lele as a cleaner. Celesteela + Marowak lead was pretty solid since Marowak had a teammate helping it out, though I ran into a ton of Fire-heavy teams later which was very bad since they would inevitably have a Dark or Ghost move (lots of Intimidate Incineroar). Usually I could find a way to win with just these two and only need to bring in one of Garchomp or Tapu Lele to clean up, both were great cleaners thanks to their speed.

Garchomp @ Groundium Z
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Dragon Claw
- Poison Jab
- Protect

Groundium Z is stupid strong and makes it much easier to use a Ground move without needing to protect my teammate, otherwise the set is pretty straight forward. Dragon Claw isn't overly strong but Garchomp usually only ever needed to clean late-game so that was fine, while Poison Jab was good for Fairies. Since Marowak dies first most of the time this pairs well with Celesteela, functions similarly to how it does in VGC so it works pretty well.

Tapu Lele @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Psychic Surge
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Psychic
- Moonblast
- Thunderbolt
- Dazzling Gleam

Tapu Lele is broken, not much else to say here. Psychic destroys and it's the move I used 90% of the time this thing came in. Dazzling Gleam came in handy a few times and honestly the rest doesn't matter usually.

Will probably continue Singles to see if I can scout a solid Anabel teammate to use for Multi, anything with non-Mega Latios would be excellent. Otherwise I got Aether Foundation Luke with Mega Metagross and a Tailwind Toucannon which sounds like a solid teammate.

Last edited:
The true challenge is multis. ~15 hours of gametime since I got my doubles stamp and my best streak is a 48. No matter how good of a partner you get they still do just baffling shit. Especially if they have protect or pain split, the AI has no understanding of when to use those moves. I've seen Anabel's Raikou double protect when there is something it can OHKO on the field dozens of times.

Hey everyone, I've been lurking this thread for a few days. I haven't started Battle Tree yet, because I've been wanting to make a reliable team for grinding to 50 in Super Singles. The team that caught my attention was iVolke's:

Dragonite @ Lum Berry
Adamant
Multiscale
52 HP / 252 Attack / 12 Def / 4 SpD / 188 Spe
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Dragon Dance
- Roost

Aegislash @ Leftovers
Adamant
252 HP / 252 At / 4 SpD
Move some EV around to get 79 speed. Although I'm convinced a Brave, 0 Speed IV would work as well.
- Shadow Sneak
- Sacred Sword
- King's Shield
- Swords Dance

Tapu Fini @ Choice Scarf
Modest
252 SpA / 252 / Spe / 4 Def
- Moonblast
- Surf
- Grass Knot
- Ice Beam

Dragonite and Aegislash are great at PP stalling EQ and Stone Edge/Rock Slide which saved me many times. Roost was also great for setting up on some opponents I normally wouldn't have been able to on such as Mega Scizor. It can also relatively safely stall Stone Edge if you're faster by eliminating the Flying type, especially if you keep up Multiscale. Then you can set up or KO when it inevitably misses. Tapu Fini is a great switch in on any Dark type threatening Aegislash or Ice type for Dragonite. Status immunity is incredible.
I really like the idea of a Dragon/Steel/Fairy core for Battle Tree. Misty Terrain seems amazing, because I cannot even count the number of times I've lost a long streak to Sleep, Para or Confusion hax. I'm mostly indecisive about Fini's set, and choosing between Specs or Scarf, or even a different item althogether to be able to use Haze. Also, I'm unsure between Dragon Claw and Outrage for Dragonite. Any thoughts?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)