Sun & Moon UU Speculation and Discussion Thread - Updated with UU Alpha!

Status
Not open for further replies.

CoolStoryBrobat

The hero Smogon needs, but not the one it deserves
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Do you guys think Florges will still be UU, or that she'll drop? does another pokemon fill her niche now?
(I predict) Florges is gonna be solid in RU. It'll be like XY UU never stopped happening tbh. Sylveon eclipsed Florges' role in ORAS UU for the most part as a defensive Fairy-type cleric, and with Primarina being a thing right now, CM sets are just overly passive in comparison, given the state of the meta being highly offensive and stuff like Scizor being near-omnipresent. All Florges really brings to the table anymore is being a better switch-in to special attackers than Sylveon...which sadly isn't much of a huge deal because of crap like this:

252+ SpA Choice Specs Primarina Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Florges: 153-181 (42.5 - 50.2%) -- 41.8% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

Imagine any kind of chip damage putting Florges below 88% after switching in on Primarina...and that's if you decide for, whatever reason, to make it max HP/SpD Calm. A Bold set is getting torn apart with no question. Not to mention, most of the premier special attackers in SM UU (Alpha) look unfriendly to Florges, too: Celebi, Charizard-Y, Alakazam, Chandelure, Gengar, Primarina, Salazzle, Serperior, Starmie, etc. just give it an extremely hard time even performing a blanket role as a special wall. Can't see it being dependable for much in UU at least in its current state, so I'd definitely slot it as a strong bulky RU Fairy where it most likely will reprise the roles it had in XY/Pre-Sylveon ORAS.

Just seen the OU usage stats for the initial month of SuMo and Zapdos is sitting at around 4%...Let the rage begin.

Also RIP the idea of having dragonite ramp the hazard wars up to 12 (Since the tier generally operates at 11 in regards to hazard wars)

Probably other stuff in there that might stand out, but those certainly caught my eye for now.

Hey all I wanted to talk about a couple neat mons that I've noticed so far that haven't been getting too much discussion, Gliscor and Doublade. Gliscor is a pretty great stallbreaker in ou that suffers a bit from M-Sableye and all of the unaware mons that are necessary on stall in ou, but here it basically invalidates most defensive teams between its 2 sets and could be one of the premiere stallbreakers when the meta settles down (if it stays that is).

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 244 HP / 208 SpD / 56 Spe
Careful Nature
- Swords Dance
- Roost
- Knock Off/Facade
- Earthquake

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 244 HP / 208 SpD /56 Spe
Careful Nature
- Toxic
- Roost
- Earthquake
- Taunt

The first set fits really well on bulky offense/balanced teams that need a reliable way to beat stall, as well as a reliable win con in general that can put in alot of work vs defensive teams and gets to come in pretty often due to its amazing typing, and the second set beats alot of the counters to the first set like quagsire 1v1 and could work pretty well on semi-stall and stall teams to spread toxic, beat opposing stall, and be a general nuisance in a somewhat similar manner to Jellicent. The Ev spreads run enough speed to outpace non speed boosted base 70s like adamant Metagross, and the rest in spdef, meaning its never 2hko'd by suicunes scald and can potentially beat it with the taunt toxic set.

Doublade is another mon I wanted to talk about just because of how good it is right now, walling alot of scary threats like Dragon spam Choice band Scizor and Terrakion and having a generally good matchup vs the types of Hyper Offense builds prevalent at the moment.

A few calcs

252+ Atk Choice Band Kyurem Outrage vs. 240 HP / 0 Def Eviolite Doublade: 76-90 (23.8 - 28.2%) -- 92.3% chance to 4HKO
+1 252+ Atk Dragonite Outrage vs. 240 HP / 0 Def Eviolite Doublade: 77-91 (24.1 - 28.5%) -- 98.2% chance to 4HKO
Lol 252+ Atk Choice Band Scizor U-turn vs. 240 HP / 0 Def Eviolite Doublade: 22-26 (6.8 - 8.1%) -- possibly the worst move ever

I've also heard about a rest set for stall that Ov3r Ac3 was using but I don't know much about the set.
Thanks for the read n_n !

After playing it for myself, using freaking pu mons from last gen, I can decidedly say Hail will be freaking amazing. Even with Zardy and Keldeo in the tier it still does well from what I've seen.

No word on dedicated sun yet though. Seems like Zard is being a standalone rather than the endgame so far.

I've been playing around a bit with some peeps in the UU room and so far I'd say the meta, while pretty chaotic, is really fun. I've only played with one team, so I can't say too much on the multiple Pokemon dropping, but one that's been fun to use is Mega Charizard Y. Fire Blast in the sun is stupid strong with little safe switch-ins, and with Grass and Dragon coverage along with Roost, Zard poses a huge threat to every single team, be it bulky or fast. Even with the new drops like Azumarill, Dragonite, Latias and Keldeo, this thing was still able to snag at least one kill in each of my games, along with severely weakening another Pokemon on my enemy's team, opening the door for my cleaners to finish up. Its typing is also really good in checking the new threats like Scizor, Volcarona and Jirachi, albeit very weak to Stealth Rock. I won't make any crazy claims on how it's broken and needs to be banned, especially when the meta was made yesterday, but still, I've been having tons of fun with it wrecking house.

My team also had some of the new S&M mons, so here they are.

Araquanid @ Choice Band
Ability: Water Bubble
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Liquidation
- Leech Life
- Poison Jab
- Crunch / Return / Toxic

Araquanid was a bit of a sleeper coming in S&M, with Ultra Beasts and Tapus taking most of the hype, but once Water Bubble was public, a lot of people have been using a banded set, and I am no different. This thing is actually crazy strong, 2HKOing almost anything that isn't a 4x resist, like Keldeo, Starmie, Serperior, Breloom and more with some hazards like Doublade, Kyurem-Black, Latias, Empoleon, and AV Azumarill, among other bulky resists. Its typing is also pretty good, allowing it to check Keldeo, Scizor, Non-Bounce Gyarados, LO Starmie and more. It's been really fun to use, as well as a strong wallbreaker, so I'd say give it a try!

Kommo-o @ Choice Specs / Assault Vest / Expert Belt / Leftovers
Ability: Bulletproof / Soundproof
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Clanging Scales / Draco Meteor
- Flamethrower
- Flash Cannon
- Focus Blast

Kommo-o has also been putting in lots of work for me. Its bulk is actually really good if you invest into HP, allowing it to switch into most physical attackers without super effective coverage and retaliate back with a strong Specs attack. Changing Scales is a great move, 110 BP and 100% accuracy, of course with the downside of lowering your defense and low PP, but still, much better than Dragon Pulse. Coming off of 100 special attack, it will dent most mons switching in, as well as Focus Blast being able to threaten Steel types into not switching in. Of course with lots of fairies, this thing isn't too good as it can't spam either of its stabs too much, but in matchups without say Sylveon, Kommo-o was always able to put in work in being a good tank and wallbreaker.

Mudsdale @ Leftovers
Ability: Stamina
EVs: 240 HP / 16 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide

Admittingly, this has put in the least work on my team, mostly being there to tank Electric and Ground attacks without much risk. While Stamina is a great ability, it can only hope to abuse it with RestTalk, which as we all know, isn't the most reliable. Plus its movepool is pretty bare, only having Rock Slide, Heavy Slam, and Close Combat for coverage and little to no support moves, no Stealth Rock or status move besides Toxic. Maybe a better set will come out, but as far as I see it, this thing is simply an inferior Hippowdon and I'd recommend Gliscor most of the time over this thing. I hope move tutors later on in this gen will save this thing, since its stats+typing+ability is all godly, but its movepool is just a giant letdown.

Just a reminder that it's almost impossible to play balance in a new metagame, you either play HO or full fat if you want to stand a chance.

Mega Zard Y
Mega Sharpedo
Mega Blastoise
Mega Absol
Mega Aerodactyl
Mega Glalie
Mega Gyarados

Correct me if I'm wrong, but those 7 seem to be it.
You're my favorite. Thank you. That said, Mega Gyarados shouldn't be legal if I'm not mistaken. It got 5.7% usage in Pokebank OU, unless I'm missing something. King UU 's post doesn't have it in either the banlist or the "legal mons" list, for whatever reason.

With Tyranitar no longer in the same tier as Char-Y, it can actually run Dragon Pulse as a viable coverage option to hit Dragonite, Latias, Salamence, Kommo-O and the many other Dragon types that think it can come in safely on it. This thing's disgusting, in all honesty.

Anyone who is concerned about the powerful Pokemon like megazard y should look at the Gen 6 UU history thing that got posted recently . And I also saw that at one point mega lopunny of all things was in RU. Either they'll go up to OU ( I wonder if many people are not using the old favorites because everyone's excited to try out the new Pokemon) or we are going to have a very large BL.....

Duck Chris

replay watcher
is a Pre-Contributor
You're my favorite. Thank you. That said, Mega Gyarados shouldn't be legal if I'm not mistaken. It got 5.7% usage in Pokebank OU, unless I'm missing something. King UU 's post doesn't have it in either the banlist or the "legal mons" list, for whatever reason.
Mega Slowbro is available.

Mega Bro is actually sick here. Standard calm mind set puts in a lot of work.

Kink

it's a thug life ¨̮
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
You're correct, I've adjusted the banlist.

Gyarados-Mega is OU due to usage and will be removed from the UU alpha ladder.

The Immortal

You're correct, I've adjusted the banlist.

Gyarados-Mega is OU due to usage and will be removed from the UU alpha ladder.

The Immortal
Thanks for getting to it so fast!

Dhelmise @ Assault Vest
Ability: Steelworker
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Power Whip
- Anchor Shot
- Shadow Claw

This is a mon I've found to be pretty effective. It offers a ton of utility in both acting as a spinner and spinblocker, and checking a few incredibly threatening mons in Primarina and Keldeo. It can also function as a trapper, which is neat. This spread avoids the 2HKO from Specs Prim's Moonblast after rocks 98% of the time, and lives anything Keldeo can throw at it. An alternate spread is 252 HP / 124 Atk / 132 SpDef to avoid the 2HKO from ^Moonblast sans rocks. Power Whip will always OHKO either back, regardless of investment (this thing hits really hard even with little investment).

Edit: @below, Primarina doesn't run Ice Beam in OU, but I hadn't considered that it might in UU. Good point. Nevertheless, this set is a very solid check to Prim, even if it occasionally has trouble switching in, and a counter to Keldeo. A check doesn't need to be able to switch in.

Last edited:
Thanks for getting to it so fast!

Dhelmise @ Assault Vest
Ability: Steelworker
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Power Whip
- Anchor Shot
- Shadow Claw

This is a mon I've found to be pretty effective. It offers a ton of utility in both acting as a spinner and spinblocker, and checking a few incredibly threatening mons in Primarina and Keldeo. It can also function as a trapper, which is neat. This spread avoids the 2HKO from Specs Prim's Moonblast after rocks 98% of the time, and lives anything Keldeo can throw at it. An alternate spread is 252 HP / 124 Atk / 132 SpDef to avoid the 2HKO from ^Moonblast sans rocks. Power Whip will always OHKO either back, regardless of investment (this thing hits really hard even with little investment).
You do avoid the Moonblast 2hko from Primarina, but

252+ SpA Choice Specs Primarina Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 252 SpD Assault Vest Dhelmise: 180-212 (52.3 - 61.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

how much you're actually checking Specs Primarina leaves a lot to be desired.

Sage

From the River To the Sea
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
You do avoid the Moonblast 2hko from Primarina, but

252+ SpA Choice Specs Primarina Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 252 SpD Assault Vest Dhelmise: 180-212 (52.3 - 61.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

how much you're actually checking Specs Primarina leaves a lot to be desired.
Specs Prima runs Hydro/Moonblast/E Ball/Psychic most commonly. Psychic is needed for Tentacruel and Amoonguss, E Ball hits Waters that can take a Moonblast. Not sure it has room for Ice Beam, maybe over Energy Ball?

thoughts from laddering and crying my eyes out on skype because this game is headass

- the most common of the new toys i've seen on the ladder so far, and for good reason...that being that it nukes the fuck out of everything on most offensive teams thanks to its good speed tier, and being a good volca check is a plus too. originally i went with the standard set from oras ou, but ive learned that focus blast is relatively useless unless you dont like dealing with gigalith sand (don't knock it btw gigalith is actually half decent), so running ancient power / tailwind / flame charge in the last slot are ideal options. ancient power in particular is nice since it fucks with other chary, chandy, tini, and talon (the latter is guaranteed to live it invests nearly all of its evs in spd, but honestly, you are going to want to run at least some speed). unfortunately its pretty useless vs aero unless it switches in and you get the boost. tailwind and flame charge are basically preference, but since so many teams rely on speed to deal with zard it serves as a nice way to fuck with those kind of builds. i think it ties with maero as the mega slot to use at the moment...jus depends on how u wana go with ur team i guess.

e: Omfuga brought up wisp on skype to beat latias and maero which is also a good option that i didnt think of somehow

- another thing that fucks with offense. pursuit is a big plus in this metagame, and trapping latias is huge for things like zard and tini. ice priority is really valuable in this meta given how common ddnite and mence are, and its stab combo fucks with everything, barring stuff like keld which hates losing its item anyway.

- kind of underwhelming...it checks what it needs to and is probably the best hazard cleaner, but rachi, weavile, and zor are so common that its really easy to take advantage of. ive only tried dual stab + recover defog but im thinking the hw set from last gen could be nice on offense as well.

- unsurprisingly slapped on every team because its so fucking annoying. probably the most reliable sr setter, and the most reliable scarfer, and the most reliable fairy resist, and the most reliable at being a pain in the ass to deal with late game

- not too common but specs sets are probably the best way to go on this thing, since scarf sets are relatively weak (but hey its an iron head resist and outspeeds rachi ! ). latias is annoying for it to deal with but its not too much of a problem since keld should almost always be with weav or some other trapper

- surprisingly, muk is pretty decent. poison / dark is pretty good stab typing, it has good bulk, and knock / pursuit + poison touch is hard to switch into for a lot of teams. obviously its slow as fuck, but the bulk and power more than make up for it.

- this thing is stupid good, and probably the best cleaner in the tier. z belly drum is pretty easy to set up due to the defensive utility it has, and serving as an answer to weav / keld + drag immunity in one slot makes it the one of the, if not the best wincon for bulky offense, maybe tied with dnite or mence.

- speaking of which...uh...not too much to say lol. dd / dclaw / extreme speed / eq is probably the best way to go on this thing, but maybe flynium z is also good a la mence. multiscale lets it dd up without trouble (see a trend here) and its a good zard / keld / tini check. i dont think outrage is worth running because most times you'll find yourself in a situation late game where locking yourself into it will mess you up.

- out of the 30ish games i played since the ladder up, these guys have been surprsingly rare for some reason, only seeing thundy in about 3 games. it's weird mainly because these things are probably the best mons in the tier atm, especially kyub, because well its kyub lol. theres just no reliable way to switch into it. the defensive typing / speed isnt the greatest but the stab combo and coverage is enough to nuke something everytime it comes in unless you dont predict right. same goes for terrakion, the best thing to switch into it is probably doublade, aside from that youre basically hoping that you predict right. thundurus is probably the least tight of the three, but its still retarded to deal with. np tbolt focus blast hp ice / twave is the most consistent set and its good speed tier and offensive typing give it p limited switch ins. i was thinking of using lo knock off to lure in latias / spd rachi, but i guess in most cases the other moves have utility.

- these guys have been pretty uncommon as well, but i dont think theyre on the same level as the 3 above so im putting them separately (except scoli and diggersby maybe). torn-t isnt very surprising to me since weavile and mega aerodactyl are extremely common, although it still retains that style of being annoying as fuck. volcanion is kinda slow, gets pooped on by lati, and has a lot of checks that are too common right now. mega slowbro needs some support but i actually think it could be a really good wincon for defensive teams. loomer is pretty decent vs offense but grass fighting isnt great against most mons and its speed holds it back too much i think. i dont really have anything worthwhile to say on the rest, since they're pretty self explanatory. i think sd gliscor and sd scoli could be good but i havent actually seen either of them to give a good opinion on it.

as far as the oldies go...i mean victini hydreigon and mega aero are all still great in this metagame, and i think p2 could see a bit of a rise in usage since it tanks everything and just twaves. chandy is p nice as a chary answer and ghost resists arent very common rn.

i havent actually tried it yet, but r0ady brought the idea of z hail snow cloak mamoswine up on skype, which works kind of like the sandstorm chomp set in ou. ground / ice coverage is pretty antimeta rn and the evasion boost can be dumb af. its probably underwhelming in practice since it doesnt outspeed maero unless theyre running ada and it isnt as strong without lo, but its a cool idea nonetheless. another z move Ting was happy hour rachi, and uh...fuck that thing.

Just a reminder that it's almost impossible to play balance in a new metagame, you either play HO or full fat if you want to stand a chance.
That's just because half the OU metagame is still inside. Just wait a bit and some monsters will disappear from this.
Man, I can use almost all the OU teams I had in oras, removing some unreleased/ou megas (like scizor)...that's not UU.

with better hard removal options like starmie,latias and others volcarona,zardy and dragonite are becoming annoying to stop if they get going...

also is zygarde-10percent available in uu currently?

with better hard removal options like starmie,latias and others volcarona,zardy and dragonite are becoming annoying to stop if they get going...

also is zygarde-10percent available in uu currently?
No it's not, because even though it's not a threat as some of the monsters above, it has access to Thousand Arrows so it's not allowed in UU.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)