Porygon-Z

Status
Not open for further replies.

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
In the Usage Tips section for the Ghostium-Z set, you can cut down on redundant info by saying that most of what was said in the Electricum-Z set applies here, and instead, focus more on the differences between the 2 sets (ie: Scarf Ground-types have a harder time checking it, but it opens itself up to Sucker Punch, Scarf Crunch from Tyranitar, etc.) You can also mention that it seriously throws off players expecting Electrium-Z
1/3

MANNAT

Follow me on twitch!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
On Z Conversion Ghost, mention how Ghost-typing lets it be immune to both Extreme Speed and Mach Punch, making it much harder to revenge kill as well as being immune/resisting both of Scarf Pheromosa's STAB moves so that you can better differentiate it from the other Z Conversion types. Also, you really should move Z conversion Ghost above Electric since it's generally a better typing defensively and it's a lot easier to spam your STAB move since lol @ bulky ghost resists in OU.

On Z Conversion Ghost, mention how Ghost-typing lets it be immune to both Extreme Speed and Mach Punch, making it much harder to revenge kill as well as being immune/resisting both of Scarf Pheromosa's STAB moves so that you can better differentiate it from the other Z Conversion types. Also, you really should move Z conversion Ghost above Electric since it's generally a better typing defensively and it's a lot easier to spam your STAB move since lol @ bulky ghost resists in OU.
The part about priorities is already mentioned, but I suppose his strength against Pheromosa could be mentioned. As for positioning I think general consensus is that Electric goes first and then Ghost, at least for this part of the meta, thanks!

Some of my experiences with electric z-conversion porygon Z:

I understand not mentioning thunder because of the reduced accuracy, but i think discharge deserves a mention: it's slightly weaker than thunderbolt, but if the enemy pokemon survived discharge it probably would survive thunderbolt (still kills tapu koko through the resistance), and that increased chance for paralysis can make a difference during a sweep or to facilitate revenge killing, both of which have happened to me.

Plus for doubles OU/vgc it won't get redirected by lightning rod and so porygon Z can be coupled with a volt absorb/lightning rod/telepathy partner or ground type that can support it with follow me or fake out to keep it alive, since it's able to use shadow ball/dark pulse to OHKO ghost types immune to fake out and blizzard/ice beam for opposing ground types.

Even at low level OU ladder I have never had the chance to use nasty plot with porygon z, it's probably better to mention that you can use something like togekiss nasty plot + baton passing if extra power is needed since that also works like a low speed U-turn in terms of being able to switch in without damage. Tapu bulu's grass field deserves a mention for the electric version because if effectively gives you left overs and halves earthquake damage, which can help survivability considerably.

Considering that one the biggest problems with Z-Conversion is that you lose stat boosts if you switch out, having a team member with safeguard to prevent poison damage from toxic or paralysis from thunder wave as you set up can make a real difference and allow you to set up right in the face of the likes of toxapex, clefable or celesteela (although leech seed can be really draining without grass field to make up for it). Also while stealth rock and regular spikes on your side isn't fatal for porygon z, sticky web and toxic spikes are so there should be some emphasis on this when it comes to rapid spin/defogger support.

Last edited:
Thanks for the post, I'm sure the folks at the Doubles OU/VGC would like to here about you advice on what a doubles/vgc porygon-Z set should like, as I lack the experience in those tiers I'll just comment on the OU suggestions:

Discharge does share a similar BP to Shadow Ball and does have a nice chance of inflicting more pain on whoever is infront of you, but the idea is to finish off the opponents nice and clean, if there was something that hits harder than Shadow Ball for Ghost-Z would have put that instead. Nasty plot was only mentioned because in that set it allowed Porygon-Z to have a dual role in either choosing NP or Conversion-Z depending on team he is facing, otherwise he hits the hardest in whatever type he converts to bar none. Tapu Bulu is a good suggestion and I'll look to add him. Electric Z is protected from paralysis and has recover as an option against toxic status, and the toxic spikes and sticky web deserve a mention as well as to why removing hazards is good support. Thanks!

By not having a chance to setup, i mean that one turn you use to nasty plot yourself can be enough to cripple you or get you killed, since the second you activate z-conversion the opponent throws everything it has at you. Mind you, even before conversion porygon-z has enough speed to be able to revenge kill some threats, especially if they are weak to one of it's coverage options (and they are pretty good), and you take advantage of the surprise factor of not converting but doing some damage instead. Nasty plot just basically gives them a turn to switch in something stronger, you could argue for agility instead since after agility plus Z-Conversion you'll not be out sped by anything (not even scarfed pheromosas) and you can abort after using agility.

Recover is not protection against toxic status, because toxic damage increases every turn a pokemon stays in the field and you don't switch out porygon z to avoid loosing the boosts (by turn 4 you'll be loosing 25% of your HP in one go, in turn 5 the accumulated damage from toxic alone is 94% of your total hp), so preventing that poison status is essential; you can't switch out and switch in again to reset the counter. And if your porygon z is paralysed before using z conversion to electric, that paralysis stays since your only immune afterwards (and for ghost types, your never immune). I like your analysis.

Last edited:
By not having a chance to setup, i mean that one turn you use to nasty plot yourself can be enough to cripple you or get you killed, since the second you activate z-conversion the opponent throws everything it has at you. Mind you, even before conversion porygon-z has enough speed to be able to revenge kill some threats, especially if they are weak to one of it's coverage options (and they are pretty good), and you take advantage of the surprise factor of not converting but doing some damage instead. Nasty plot just basically gives them a turn to switch in something stronger, you could argue for agility instead since after agility plus Z-Conversion you'll not be out sped by anything (not even scarfed pheromosas) and you can abort after using agility.

Recover is not protection against toxic status, because toxic damage increases every turn a pokemon stays in the field and you don't switch out porygon z to avoid loosing the boosts (by turn 4 you'll be loosing 25% of your HP in one go, in turn 5 the accumulated damage from toxic alone is 94% of your total hp), so preventing that poison status is essential; you can't switch out and switch in again to reset the counter. And if your porygon z is paralysed before using z conversion to electric, that paralysis stays since your only immune afterwards (and for ghost types, your never immune). I like your analysis.
Thank you, NP's idea is that it should be used against stall teams in general or one of few instances where after Z-conversion and good work from your teamates the opponents lacks any meaningful way of revenge killing you but has enough bulky pokemons to stop your sweep so an additional boost to power is used to wrap it up for good. It fits in OO for the time being until the fully fleshed version is being made and enough time for the meta has passed to judge the effectiveness of each set. As for paralysis before Z-conversion we have suggested in usage tips to wait until late game and set up on either pokemon that you outspeed or that don't threaten to kill you straight off with/without boost.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)