Resource VGC: Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer

So i just finished the game and am looking to get back into competitive but i have skipped last gen as well as gen 5. So me being the noob i am, i caught the tapus not even thinking they would be legal in vgc. Now here i am with a jolly(not too bad imo) Tapu Bulu when obviously Adamant is better. As for my question.
Should i restart the game for sync farming tapu natures? Or is there another method i am unaware of? I've done quite a lot of breeding already and it would be a shame to restart but i find that i really want to use Tapu Bulu for my team. I mean i know i could try to trade for one but there's the chance that the bulu i get is generated/hacked. Just wondering the thoughts of someone out of my position.

So i just finished the game and am looking to get back into competitive but i have skipped last gen as well as gen 5. So me being the noob i am, i caught the tapus not even thinking they would be legal in vgc. Now here i am with a jolly(not too bad imo) Tapu Bulu when obviously Adamant is better. As for my question.
Should i restart the game for sync farming tapu natures? Or is there another method i am unaware of? I've done quite a lot of breeding already and it would be a shame to restart but i find that i really want to use Tapu Bulu for my team. I mean i know i could try to trade for one but there's the chance that the bulu i get is generated/hacked. Just wondering the thoughts of someone out of my position.
Why would you need to redo the breeding? You can just wait for Bank to be updated and transfer all your breeding stuff there and then restart.

Pyritie

TAMAGO
is an Artist
Can anyone tell me why I cant use poison gas on my salazzle in showdown? Is it just a bug or something?
Is the teambuilder not letting you use it, or is it failing in a battle?

There's no need to restart the game. Plenty of people over on the wifi section do giveaways, and if you're ok with a clone of someone else's tapu bulu, then you'll be fine.

If you insist that you catch everything yourself... then yeah, you'll have to restart.

Hello there, i am trying to get back into VGC and was wondering about a couple questions i want to know the answer to.

1. Are mega's allowed in VGC 2017 once pokebank is out in January?

2. is there anywhere i can find details about the current meta such as what styles of plays are popular (trick room, rain, sand etc) or what good pokemon are to use together in a team?

3. Once pokebank is released in january, does that mean that you can use pokemon that are not on the aloha pokedex?

I know this might seems like a dumb questions but any help would be much appreciated

Hello there, i am trying to get back into VGC and was wondering about a couple questions i want to know the answer to.

2. is there anywhere i can find details about the current meta such as what styles of plays are popular (trick room, rain, sand etc) or what good pokemon are to use together in a team?

3. Once pokebank is released in january, does that mean that you can use pokemon that are not on the aloha pokedex?

I know this might seems like a dumb questions but any help would be much appreciated
1. No, the vgc rules don't state 'megas are banned until further notice', it states that they're just outright banned.
2. Don't know
3. Again, no. The rules state 'Only pokemon found in the Alolan Dex, minus Magearna, Solgaleo, and Lunala'.

Adding onto what nightwolf said:
1. Just as he said, mega evolutions will not be allowed in VGC2017
2. Trainer Tower is a good place to see some teams that are doing well
3. No, Pokemon that are not in the Alola Pokedex will not be allowed, but there will be a few new moves that will become legal because of egg moves being unavailable without the Pokebank (for example, Salazzle will get access to Fake Out when Pokebank is out).

Adding onto what nightwolf said:
1. Just as he said, mega evolutions will not be allowed in VGC2017
2. Trainer Tower is a good place to see some teams that are doing well
3. No, Pokemon that are not in the Alola Pokedex will not be allowed, but there will be a few new moves that will become legal because of egg moves being unavailable without the Pokebank (for example, Salazzle will get access to Fake Out when Pokebank is out).
1. No, the vgc rules don't state 'megas are banned until further notice', it states that they're just outright banned.
2. Don't know
3. Again, no. The rules state 'Only pokemon found in the Alolan Dex, minus Magearna, Solgaleo, and Lunala'.
would like to say thank you to both of you for the answers.

so that means no pokemon like charizard, hydreigon, thunderous etc can be used when pokebank is released and if thats the case then how can they be put into the game?

Last edited:
So I heard Tapu Fini is starting to see some play. Any idea on what role it plays as well as a moveset for it?
It's actually a pretty good mon from what I've been seeing while testing it. The standard set seems to be something similar the following:

Tapu Fini @ Leftovers
Ability: Misty Surge
Level: 50
EVs: 252 HP / 244 Def / 4 SpA / 4 SpD / 4 Spe
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Protect
- Moonblast
- Scald
- Calm Mind

Feel free to replace Scald with Hydro Pump, since your Terrain prevents status conditions.

It's actually a pretty good mon from what I've been seeing while testing it. The standard set seems to be something similar the following:

Tapu Fini @ Leftovers
Ability: Misty Surge
Level: 50
EVs: 252 HP / 244 Def / 4 SpA / 4 SpD / 4 Spe
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Protect
- Moonblast
- Scald
- Calm Mind

Feel free to replace Scald with Hydro Pump, since your Terrain prevents status conditions.
but also keep in mind the scald is more accurate

It's not like Misty Terrain will be in play all the time, for example: If you predict a Bulu or Physical Koko switch in, you can Scald and possibly get a burn. In the end it's a trade between Power vs Accuracy and situational burns.

A more niche but possibly useful trick with Fini is using Swagger on a teammate when Misty Terrain is on.

quick question but when pokebank is released then how can you add them to sun and moon since there not on the pokedex????

Re-asking this since it wasn't answered. Is three any specific natures I should go for the UBs and island protectors? I have synchros in gen 6 waiting for transfer when the bank update comes out, but I want to make sure I have synchros for SRing all of them. Currently I have timid, jolly, adamant, and modest synchros

Tapu Fini can run Bold instead of Modest if you want a bulky water type, Koko can be mixed so getting naive or naughty is an option, and those two natures also are preferred for Pheromosa, and Guzzlord prefers Quiet or Brave (Quiet is better imo).

Other than those, I think you're covered with the synchros you already have.

EDIT: Forgot Celesteela lol. That thing can use a myriad of natures so....you better figure out beforehand which one you want. Adamant is seemingly the most common one, from my experience.

Pyritie

TAMAGO
is an Artist
Re-asking this since it wasn't answered. Is three any specific natures I should go for the UBs and island protectors? I have synchros in gen 6 waiting for transfer when the bank update comes out, but I want to make sure I have synchros for SRing all of them. Currently I have timid, jolly, adamant, and modest synchros
tapu koko: timid with HP ice or ground. There's no need to run mixed unless you really want to use brave bird + wild charge for some reason. I guess sky drop is a thing as well.
tapu lele: timid or modest
tapu bulu: adamant usually
tapu fini: calm, bold, and modest all work

nihilego: timid with HP ice
xurkitree: timid or modest with HP ice or ground
buzzwole: adamant
pheromosa: jolly, naive, pretty much anything that isn't def/spD boosting is good on it since it's so frail
kartana: jolly
celesteela: it can run tons of stuff. Adamant, relaxed, impish, jolly, sassy, careful all work
guzzlord: lol

What is a standard set for Arcanine as of now?
Most often they're bulky with some combination of Snarl, Will-O-Wisp, Protect, Morning Sun, and a Fire STAB (typically Flamethrower is the most common, then in some order Burn Up, Overheat, and Flare Blitz), packing supporting items like Sitrus Berry. Less often but still present is offensive Arcanine with Flare Blitz, Extremespeed, Wild Charge, and Protect, occasionally some other fillers but I honestly can't think of any right now.

Typically you can guess which variant is on a team by judging off general team composition-- seeing multiple (typically) defensive pokémon like Celesteela and Gastrodon can clue you into assuming the Arcanine is supportive, while seeing a more frail, offensive team could lead you to play more carefully around the offensive variant until it reveals its set.

tapu koko: timid with HP ice or ground. There's no need to run mixed unless you really want to use brave bird + wild charge for some reason. I guess sky drop is a thing as well.
tapu lele: timid or modest
tapu bulu: adamant usually
tapu fini: calm, bold, and modest all work

nihilego: timid with HP ice
xurkitree: timid or modest with HP ice or ground
buzzwole: adamant
pheromosa: jolly, naive, pretty much anything that isn't def/spD boosting is good on it since it's so frail
kartana: jolly
celesteela: it can run tons of stuff. Adamant, relaxed, impish, jolly, sassy, careful all work
guzzlord: lol
Mixed or even purely physical Koko is not out of the question, given it has a higher Attack stat than Special Attack. Otherwise, good list, though Kartana can potentially get away with Adamant I think (I'll check Wolfe's video).

How much thought should I put into using Porygon2 in regards to activating Download? Let me clarify:
Let's say from team preview I see the likely lead Pokemon both have weaker SpD than Def, so leading with him should be a good possible choice. Should my decisions to use him (and when) be somewhat based off nabbing that SpA boost or should I not be too concerned about that specific variable?

Can aerodactil learn sky attack?. im pretty sure ive seen one with it but, it wont let me use it on showdown, keeps telling me he cant learn it because, its only obtainable form a previous gen.

Can aerodactil learn sky attack?. im pretty sure ive seen one with it but, it wont let me use it on showdown, keeps telling me he cant learn it because, its only obtainable form a previous gen.
The fastest way to find out something simple like that is to look it up yourself. To answer your question, no it cannot learn it in gen 7, it only gets it via move tutor in gen 6 and tm in gen 1

I've been having a lot of trouble vs Porygon2s lately, what are good checks/counters to it?
Knock Off helps against it, or a good Fighting type (the metagame lacks these though). I personally use Alolan Muk, and it works very well to deal with it.

How is everyone breeding for their teams? Especially trick room ones where you basically need 0 ivs?
Catching flawless 4IV Ditto's via SOS chaining. I haven't tried for 0 Speed IVs; I'm waiting until after Bank is updated to bring in my old Dittos for that.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)