Exploring Other RPGs

Hi There!
I have enjoyed Pokemon for 8 years, and I am wanting to explore other RPGs. I have played Zelda: OoT, Paper Mario, And some games in the Mario & Luigi RPG series.

I am thinking about playing Bravely Default, so I would like some opinions on it
I am also considering Monster Hunter Generations as I have heard it is a great jumping on point for people new too the series.

Any other recomendations on RPGs for the 3ds would be greatlg recommended, how good is Xenoblade Chronicles 3d? Looks like something Necrozma came from.

I completely agree with Arikado on Tales of the Abyss. It's an amazing game with a good deal of replayability.

Bravely Default is alright, but it gets insanely grindy just so you know. Other than that, it's basically just an off-brand Final Fantasy, although it does it well.

I don't really like the 3DS games of Fire Emblem (Awakening is garbage, and Fates is average) but I'm a Fire Emblem 4 supremacist. Seriously, it's old but fucking gold. Tho Fire Emblem 7 is and will always be my recommended gateway game for the series.

I believe Chrono Trigger is on the eShop too, I'd recommend that a lot.

Yeah, with the 3DS there are tons of good old games available, there's the stuff that winds up on the eshop and also the entire DS library as well (<3 backwards compatibility).

Chrono Trigger is an amazing game definitely play it. Also you should be able to pick up various old school Final Fantasy games, which range from decent to really good. If you look at the DS library there are tons of good rpgs there.

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Play Xenoblade Chronicles. Also seconding the Fire Emblem recommendation; one of the best game series available IMO.

Also, if you're willing to try out non-traditional JRPGs, I suggest trying the Inazuma Eleven series. The first of the six titles is available as a download-only game on 3DS in the US, whereas if you're in PAL regions the final game was released just two weeks ago. The series is hands-down one of my favorite game series ever, so if there's any way you can go about playing them I'd very highly recommend them. If you're in the US or whatever either just play the first game or get a foreign 3DS (PAL or NSTC-J) and import it from the appropriate region (this is expensive so prolly just go with the first for now, granted the 2nd and 3rd are the best in the series)

Last edited:

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Throwing in support for fire emblem, I've played all of the fates, awakening, and sacred stones; all of which I thoroughly enjoyed.
I've played a bit of monster hunter 4 which I thought was alright, but if you're into fighting games I think it's definitely worthwhile.
I haven't finished chrono trigger but from what I've played and heard from others its an excellent game.
Havent seen any mention here of the dragon quest series which is another great jrpg, I've played 8 and just got 7.

What about the Chrono or the Mother series? Those are personal favorites.

EDIT:

Any other recomendations on RPGs for the 3ds would be greatlg recommended, how good is Xenoblade Chronicles 3d? Looks like something Necrozma came from.
What the...?! You are absolutely correct! I wonder if someone from Monolith is now on Game Freak?

Hey, I love RPGs. JRPGs in particular are my favourite genre, and I'm very fond of tactical turn-based RPGs. I can't begin to mention how much I love Fire Emblem, but it's already been discussed.

Here are some gems for the DS and 3DS, since the 3DS is backwards compatible:
- Radiant Historia (incredibly deep [we're talking hundreds of hours if full completion] in actual content and innovative story mechanics, lots of sidequests, very fun battle system, soundtrack is beautiful, lovely character design. Really going to be loved by anyone who loves JRPGs. Since Chrono Trigger is a must-play for the genre, I can easily recommend this to you once you've played CT)
- Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor / 2 (they have 3DS-enhanced remakes with more content. Hard to summarise them beyond 'SMT games', but multiple endings, customisation, monster fusion, and intense map play make these games pretty enjoyable)
- The World Ends with You (customisation-heavy action RPG, very stylised, one of the most unique combat systems in the platform, great story and art direction, amazing soundtrack)
- the Dragon Quest games (IX is a great one)
- the Etrian Odyssey series (dungeon crawler RPGs)
- If you want easier tactical RPGs, try pretty much anything put out by Atlus that I haven't mentioned (Luminous Arc, Rondo of Swords, maybe Knights in the Nightmare?)
- There are some Final Fantasy remakes (III, IV...) on the DS that were enjoyable
- Summon Night is a nice series, has a DS game I haven't played, though, so I can't fully recommend it in all honesty

The first three games are games I almost always recommend to anyone looking for good DS games, and part of an integral core of about five or six games that I consider must-plays on the platform :)

Why am I recommending you DS games? Because the DS was one of the greatest platforms in modern times for JRPGs, and you can play them on your 3DS, and it'd be a shame if you overlooked them. I haven't even gotten to all the games I've meant to play on it yet! The 3DS has fewer offerings in comparison. There's a great list on /r/JRPG of NDS (and under it, 3DS) JRPGs.

I agree FE7 is the best gateway game for the series, but many newer fans might be more attracted to the newer games, in which case FE13 is a better introduction to the 'new' FE. The GBA FEs are in the eshop iirc.

I'll write longer messages on them at some point, or feel free to ask me about any aspects of the games.

If playing on the PC (or another console) is a thing you'd be interested in, your options expand a bit more. Let us know if that's the case. I'd instantly recommend you Valkyria Chronicles and The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky.

If you liked the Mario & Luigi series, by the way, I could not recommend to you more the series from which my favourite game is from: the Paper Mario series. The modern Paper Mario games are not really RPGs so much as adventure games, but Paper Mario 64 and Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door are pure RPGs and better than the M&L games, which are kind of their spiritual successors in the franchise. Some of the best localisations seen, too.

Mostly you've been recommended turn-based RPGs, but I also have to ask what it is about RPGs you like, because there may be other games on the DS/3DS you like. For example, if you like story-rich games and can stand interactive fiction, the Zero Escape series are incredible visual novels with puzzle elements, as are the Ace Attorney games (which have entries on both DS/3DS), which have more mystery/detective segments. If it's character progression or exploration, there are other types of games you might like, like Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow. Since you like the Zelda games, which are adventure games more than anything, I do recommend playing it, if dark fantasy is your thing. I couldn't recommend TWEWY enough if you're interested in trying an action RPG to diversify your options, and would recommend it to you anyway.

Last edited:
Throwing in support for fire emblem, I've played all of the fates, awakening, and sacred stones; all of which I thoroughly enjoyed.
I've played a bit of monster hunter 4 which I thought was alright, but if you're into fighting games I think it's definitely worthwhile.
I haven't finished chrono trigger but from what I've played and heard from others its an excellent game.
Havent seen any mention here of the dragon quest series which is another great jrpg, I've played 8 and just got 7.
Lol I havent finished Chrono Either. Im not seeing what people say is so good about it but im only 4-5 ish hours in hopefully I'll get more invested

Hey, I love RPGs. JRPGs in particular are my favourite genre, and I'm very fond of tactical turn-based RPGs. I can't begin to mention how much I love Fire Emblem, but it's already been discussed.

Here are some gems for the DS and 3DS, since the 3DS is backwards compatible:
- Radiant Historia (incredibly deep [we're talking hundreds of hours if full completion] in actual content and innovative story mechanics, lots of sidequests, very fun battle system, soundtrack is beautiful, lovely character design. Really going to be loved by anyone who loves JRPGs. Since Chrono Trigger is a must-play for the genre, I can easily recommend this to you once you've played CT)
- Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor / 2 (they have 3DS-enhanced remakes with more content. Hard to summarise them beyond 'SMT games', but multiple endings, customisation, monster fusion, and intense map play make these games pretty enjoyable)
- The World Ends with You (customisation-heavy action RPG, very stylised, one of the most unique combat systems in the platform, great story and art direction, amazing soundtrack)
- the Dragon Quest games (IX is a great one)
- the Etrian Odyssey series (dungeon crawler RPGs)
- If you want easier tactical RPGs, try pretty much anything put out by Atlus that I haven't mentioned (Luminous Arc, Rondo of Swords, maybe Knights in the Nightmare?)
- There are some Final Fantasy remakes (III, IV...) on the DS that were enjoyable
- Summon Night is a nice series, has a DS game I haven't played, though, so I can't fully recommend it in all honesty

The first three games are games I almost always recommend to anyone looking for good DS games, and part of an integral core of about five or six games that I consider must-plays on the platform :)

Why am I recommending you DS games? Because the DS was one of the greatest platforms in modern times for JRPGs, and you can play them on your 3DS, and it'd be a shame if you overlooked them. I haven't even gotten to all the games I've meant to play on it yet! The 3DS has fewer offerings in comparison. There's a great list on /r/JRPG of NDS (and under it, 3DS) JRPGs.

I agree FE7 is the best gateway game for the series, but many newer fans might be more attracted to the newer games, in which case FE13 is a better introduction to the 'new' FE. The GBA FEs are in the eshop iirc.

I'll write longer messages on them at some point, or feel free to ask me about any aspects of the games.

If playing on the PC (or another console) is a thing you'd be interested in, your options expand a bit more. Let us know if that's the case. I'd instantly recommend you Valkyria Chronicles and The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky.

If you liked the Mario & Luigi series, by the way, I could not recommend to you more the series from which my favourite game is from: the Paper Mario series. The modern Paper Mario games are not really RPGs so much as adventure games, but Paper Mario 64 and Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door are pure RPGs and better than the M&L games, which are kind of their spiritual successors in the franchise. Some of the best localisations seen, too.

Mostly you've been recommended turn-based RPGs, but I also have to ask what it is about RPGs you like, because there may be other games on the DS/3DS you like. For example, if you like story-rich games and can stand interactive fiction, the Zero Escape series are incredible visual novels with puzzle elements, as are the Ace Attorney games (which have entries on both DS/3DS), which have more mystery/detective segments. If it's character progression or exploration, there are other types of games you might like, like Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow. Since you like the Zelda games, which are adventure games more than anything, I do recommend playing it, if dark fantasy is your thing. I couldn't recommend TWEWY enough if you're interested in trying an action RPG to diversify your options, and would recommend it to you anyway.
Wow. This gives me alot to go off. Thanks!

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
The handheld Castlevania games (specifically, Dawn and Aria of Sorrow) are absolutely some of my favourite games of all time. Should come as no surprise since my name Arikado is a character from A/DoS lol. Heavily agree with the recommendation even though they're pretty much sidescrolling action/exploration games with minor RPG elements :0

Jumpluff's post is really great tho, i'd also add Code of Princess to the list. Little hidden gem in the 3ds library :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)