Most frustrating pokemon moments!

I was playing on my X Nuzlocke. I'm doing the run for another forum I'm on, so I was going to let my viewers decide which of the two fossils I would take. I was going to just grab an item ball near the scientist before I saved and quit. Instead, thanks to the Roller Skates, I went too far and got locked into the choice. I hadn't saved in a while. Raged.

Ever accidentally forget to save?

In a nuzlocke?

After going very far, losing a good 'mon, but then getting a new one?

I did that. It's made me quit my X nuzlocke for almost two weeks now.

Round 2 of my current Maison run: Shell Smash Double Team Barbaracle that almost ends my run there. Also, the two times I use HJK with my Megapunny in this run I miss. I CALL BULL

My rival/friend was SRing for a Modest Mewtwo, but he didn't care about the IVs. He kept trying and kept failing. I took the 3DS out of his hand and told him to watch and learn.

I proceed to sarcastically talk about RNG and mashed random buttons all along the way. I do the battle and joke about catching it immediately in a Quick Ball (he had done it about ~12 times and always failed, even with Para+Dusk, so decided just to do Master Ball). IT GETS CAUGHT. THE NATURE IS MODEST. We start freaking out and go to Kiloude City to check the IVs. It's not 3... BUT 4IV!!! Missing Atk and SpDef I think, though am not sure.

So sad - I would have appreciated that luck for myself T-T

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
It was Sapphire version. I had just beaten Winona of Fortree City and got my Feather Badge (after a long battle itself since her team was quite annoying if you're starter is a Blaziken, however she's a Gym Leader so I expected that). I continued on my way onto Route 120, going through trainers without much difficulty... UNTIL HER! Ace Trainer Jennifer. A boss in mook clothing, as TvTropes calls it (and checking their Pokemon page for that trope, she's mentioned there and has quite a lengthy entry there!). So what's so difficult about her that she almost wiped my team? She has a Milotic, the first one in the game you encounter (unless you caught a Feebas and did your hardest to evolve it). I had a Blaziken but I fought other Water-types before, all I got to do was use my strongest attacks. Eats it, just ate my attack and for an entree had my Blaziken by downing it with a Water-type attack (forgot which one). My only other Pokemon able to "take on" this monster was Wobbuffet by Spirit Bonding it, but yeah after the battle I ran back to the Pokemon Center and decided to train a bit on that route so that wouldn't happen again.

But I got my revenge in ORAS. in Alpha Sapphire my Starter wasn't a Blaziken, it was a Sceptile. That I could Mega Evolve. I did my strongest Grass-type move and watched its HP drop from full to zero with satisfaction. Sapphire me have been vindicated.

It was Sapphire version. I had just beaten Winona of Fortree City and got my Feather Badge (after a long battle itself since her team was quite annoying if you're starter is a Blaziken, however she's a Gym Leader so I expected that). I continued on my way onto Route 120, going through trainers without much difficulty... UNTIL HER! Ace Trainer Jennifer. A boss in mook clothing, as TvTropes calls it (and checking their Pokemon page for that trope, she's mentioned there and has quite a lengthy entry there!). So what's so difficult about her that she almost wiped my team? She has a Milotic, the first one in the game you encounter (unless you caught a Feebas and did your hardest to evolve it). I had a Blaziken but I fought other Water-types before, all I got to do was use my strongest attacks. Eats it, just ate my attack and for an entree had my Blaziken by downing it with a Water-type attack (forgot which one). My only other Pokemon able to "take on" this monster was Wobbuffet by Spirit Bonding it, but yeah after the battle I ran back to the Pokemon Center and decided to train a bit on that route so that wouldn't happen again.

But I got my revenge in ORAS. in Alpha Sapphire my Starter wasn't a Blaziken, it was a Sceptile. That I could Mega Evolve. I did my strongest Grass-type move and watched its HP drop from full to zero with satisfaction. Sapphire me have been vindicated.
Sorry; I just had to double take at that tvtropes article - who the fuck has trouble with wild Ponyta?

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Sorry; I just had to double take at that tvtropes article - who the fuck has trouble with wild Ponyta?
I can see Ponyta being a bit of an issue in Platinum because they can be encountered relatively early (Route 207, right outside Oreburg). Base 90 is pretty fast at that point, so they'd be harder to run from (especially for Turtwig players).

Ah yes, her. I think it is funny that I had more luck when I fought her in Ruby when I was younger and stupider than I did when I played through Alpha Sapphire. I swear that my Gen III Roselia did a better job (I'm guessing as I don't remember her in Ruby, that's how easy she must have been) than my Gen VI Gardevoir (Energy Ball) or my Gen VI Breloom.

being bested by Totem Lurantis 4x in a row before buying about 10 X-Attacks and using them on my Charjabug.
Totem Lurantis is legit the second coming of Whitney's Miltank, I swear. This thing almost gave me a stroke.
Oh, and lets not talk about that one teacher at the beginning of SM with a Magnemite and a Meowth who tries to paraflinch her way to victory... never thought I'd ever lose so soon in a pokemon game.

Totem Lurantis is legit the second coming of Whitney's Miltank, I swear. This thing almost gave me a stroke.
Oh, and lets not talk about that one teacher at the beginning of SM with a Magnemite and a Meowth who tries to paraflinch her way to victory... never thought I'd ever lose so soon in a pokemon game.
I almost lost to that teacher, but I think it was related to trying to fight her with a Rowlet, a Wingull and a Pikipek.

Not exactly the best matchup.

I almost lost to that teacher, but I think it was related to trying to fight her with a Rowlet, a Wingull and a Pikipek.

Not exactly the best matchup.
Nah, Paraflinch is the strat most NPCs in SM go for if they're able to. Off the top of my head I remember that Olivia does it as well. And if not that, they go for confusion hax like that one Lady on Poni Island with 4 Focus Sashed Oricorio that'll spam Tetter Dance on you. Bottom line: this will fuck you up and make you want to tear your own hair out at some point regardless of your team line-up lol.

Also... yeah, Rowlet is definitely the most inefficient starter. Out of all 7 trials, Rowlet has a bad match-up with the Fire, Grass ( Castform & Trumbeak take a massive dump on it), Electric, Ghost and Dragon trials. That is 5 out of 7 and it's so freaking bad, like, almost being-a-grass-starter-in-Johto kind of bad.

Also... yeah, Rowlet is definitely the most inefficient starter. Out of all 7 trials, Rowlet has a bad match-up with the Fire, Grass ( Castform & Trumbeak take a massive dump on it), Electric, Ghost and Dragon trials. That is 5 out of 7 and it's so freaking bad, like, almost being-a-grass-starter-in-Johto kind of bad.
You have convinced me not to pick Rowlet when I finally get this damn game. (Gotta wait for Christmas because money.) Congratulations.

You have convinced me not to pick Rowlet when I finally get this damn game. (Gotta wait for Christmas because money.) Congratulations.
Get Poppilo. I noticed Litten has the same kinds of problem as Rowlet, but he just doesn't hit hard either due to not having good STAB fire moves until you're on the fourth island - right when you faced all the gauntlets you really were going to face.

With Litten you won't die as quickly as the others but you definitely won't do much to anything that resists Dark.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Get Poppilo. I noticed Litten has the same kinds of problem as Rowlet, but he just doesn't hit hard either due to not having good STAB fire moves until you're on the fourth island - right when you faced all the gauntlets you really were going to face.

With Litten you won't die as quickly as the others but you definitely won't do much to anything that resists Dark.
My Litten would disagree, it had no major problems and was helpful in beating the Grass, Fire, and Electric Totem. Plus it has the best Signature Z-Move of the Starters.

I lost 4 pokemon in the hapu battle because her stupid mudsdale is surprisingly fast and I had no bulky special attackers to take it out.

Gee, you guys have it easy. I'm still waiting for Buckert to give me a 0IV Speed Ditto (or anything else with 0IVs in speed I can breed with Sableye), so I can soft reset for the Legendary Golems. I had hoped to do it before starting Sun, but I get the feeling they'll be sitting there for a while long after I've transferred over to Sun.

In the meantime, while waiting for the Transfer to work with my Sun Version, I've trained my team in Sun to Lv. 11, gotten a Pikipek and Rattata with excellent natures, and have started to do the same with all of the Pokémon trainees I have backlogged. The legion is coming to kick any trouble makers in the ass. Those teachers are gonna be schooled come January (actually, I could do it now, but I want to have a full team).

So one time in Battle Royal online, some guy took out my Aegislash, so I sent in Gyarados. I DD, he sends out Clefable. Just when I click Waterfall in attempt to exert revenge...

The opposing Clefable used Protect
The opposing Clefable used Spotlight

Couldn't land a single hit on him at all, and the Clefable player ended up winning. Is there even any counterplay to Protect + Spotlight spam?

So one time in Battle Royal online, some guy took out my Aegislash, so I sent in Gyarados. I DD, he sends out Clefable. Just when I click Waterfall in attempt to exert revenge...

Couldn't land a single hit on him at all, and the Clefable player ended up winning. Is there even any counterplay to Protect + Spotlight spam?
Looks pretty difficult to counter. Spread moves to slowly whittle it down, Imprison on Spotlight (sounds too specific, and only Smeargle can pull it off) sound impractical. Maybe KOing the target and the slowest Pokemon using Taunt after it's KOed (assuming that attacks go to their intended target if the Spotlight target is KOed first).

Although... why Protect + Spotlight? Spotlight does not have a chance of failing, it has a lot of PP (for what it can do. 24 is more than enough), and with +3 priority, almost nothing can move before it. You can simply spam Spotlight and they would be completely helpless.

The new rules for the April Competition.

The fact that unless you've beaten the game, have the necessary items (or can get them quickly enough), and the means to raise Pokémon in the necessary time, there is zero point in entering the April competition.

I haven't completed Sun, and am not in a position to beat the game anytime soon, so bred by Pokémon in Alpha Sapphire, since I was able to use Pokémon brought over from there in the last competition. So when I found out that you can only use Pokémon you've raised in Sun, I was absolutely outraged. I mean, hello! Not everyone has beaten the game! They can't spend hours upon hours doing so! If I tried, I wouldn't hear the end of it from my parents, and rightfully so. I'm not some kid who can afford to spend all of his free time playing on his Gameboy!

All that time breeding and raising a team was a waste, and even then, it would have been a challenge, due to not having access to the Beasts and Tapus. But this is the last straw. Unless someone is willing to breed and raise my entire team (I can't even do the latter), there is zero point in entering, because what I caught in Sun is shit compared to what I'd have to got up against. I would loose every battle.

The Mega Stones had better be released again at a later time, or I will give Nintendo of America a piece of my mind. What's the point of entering a competition if you can't even hope to win a single fucking battle?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)