SM OU Help With OU Singles Team

Hey I'm brand new to this board and to the competitive scene of Pokemon. I'm prep'ing for Alola Friendly and I'd really just like some feedback and or rating on my current team. I've worked hard on it and I think that it has good coverage. Just give it a read if you have time.

Take into consideration that it's a singles team

Alolan Raichu @ Life Orb

Ability: Surge Surfer

EVs: 252 SpA / 4 Def / 252 SPE

Timid Nature

- Nasty Plot

- Thunderbolt

- Focus Blast

- Psychic

Raichu is my go to set up sweeper for this team. It covers my team’s partial weakness to Poison and Fighting. With Nasty plot and Life Orb it can neutrally OHKO most other sweepers and it can usually out speed them with Timid nature. It was placed here to face off against Salazzle and fighting types like Lucario and Bewear. It can also OHKO Toxipex which is a nice bonus since it's very popular. Focus Blast gives it Dark type coverage and everything else is pretty standard. The only thing I've found threatening this set is Choice Scarf pokes which can KO Raichu faster than it.

Alolan Marowak @ Thick Club

Ability: Lightning Rod

EVs: 252 HP / 210 Atk / 44 SpD

Adamant Nature

- Will O Wisp

- Bonemerang

- Shadow Bone

- Flare Blitz

"GET BONED" Marowak is my bulky bruiser for this team. It is my coverage for the VERY apparent Alolan Ninetails and the completely over used (haha) steel types like Scizor, Magnezone, and the UBs. This is a pretty common set. It has 3 Immunities which I thought was fantastic. Will -O Wisp for crippling physical sweepers and this Pokemon can KO sweepers with STAB and Thick Club. It can contest some trick room teams due to its low speed.

Toxapex @ Black Sludge

Ability: Regenerator

EVs: 252 HP / 216 Def / 42 SpD

Impish Nature

- Toxic

- Baneful Bunker

- Recover

- Liquidation

This was my only tank. I was really interested in using this Pokemon because it seemed like one of the best tanks I’ve seen in many generations. It can outlast stall Milotic due to the fact it has access to toxic. The Toxic and Baneful Bunker seem kind of repetitive however Toxic is there to cripple and Bunker is for scouting. Liquidation for actual surprise damage against fire types like Arcanine.

The EV spread seems a bit odd. This pokemon is a bit of a grey area in regards to set utility. I gave it some SpD EVs so that it could survive special hits a bit better but they may just be pointless? It can 3HKO a lot of sweepers neutrally with 0 Atk EVs. I think could also run Poison Jab over Toxic or Bunker to attempt to KO Tapus and fairy types? Recommendations will be appreciated.

Alolan Ninetails @ Icium Z

Ability: Snow Warning

EVs: 252 SpA / 4 Def / 252 SPE

Timid Nature

- Freeze Dry

- Extrasensory

- Blizzard

- Moonblast

(Speaking of Ninetails) This set took me a long time and several boxes of Vulpix in the making. Similar to Raichu but with enough difference that I thought I could have them both. This Is to counter the prominent Dragon types such as Garchomp and Salamence. It has Freeze Dry to KO switch in water types such as Gastrodon and Golisopod. I run Extrasensory for coverage from poison types like Salazzle switching in which will chunk their HP quite nicely.I was thinking of replacing something for Aurora Veil for defense maybe?

Minior @ White Herb

Ability: Shields Down

EVs: 243 HP / 252 Atk / 15 SPE

Adamant Nature

- Protect

- Shell Smash

- Rock Slide

- Acrobatics

Minior is my attack sweeper. It cover’s my overwhelming 3 pokemon weakness to ground type. I put a bit more Spe EV’s to try to outspeed other Minior if that ever occurred. It’s a pretty common Minor set otherwise. Just Shell Smash with white herb to Acrobatics for massive damage. It can set up and sweep fast and even revenge kill if necessary. Minior however is super frail and can barely take a hit without getting to half HP. Replacement suggestions for this one will be taken into account.

Kartana @ Assault Vest

Ability: Beast Boost

EVs: 52 Atk / 140 Def / 252 SpD / 52 Spe

Relaxed Nature

- Leaf Blade

- Night Slash

- Smart Strike

- Sacred Sword

My last Pokemon. If you're wondering why it has a Relaxed nature, it's because I usually don't put legendaries into my teams so I just caught them for story purposes. However, I found out that all the UBs are allowed in Alola Friendly and this was my last-ditch effort to try to cover my 3 Pokemon Rock and Ground weaknesses. It also covers ALL of the Tapus at the same time. It's essentially just the standard Assault Vest build for little origami guy here. Due to the poor nature, it won't outspeed the some of the sweepers but it can usually match most. It can KO several targets, however the poor nature really sets it back. I chose Kartana because... well I don't have access to a Moon game that's why. It's bulky enough to survive plenty of hits and it's attack is super great.

I'm new to this sort of thing. The team is a little frail and still needs a lot of work. It's also a bit Attack heavy. I still need to get some of these Pokemon to lvl 100 to hyper train but I should be prepared by competition date. Any help, feedback, or recommendations will be appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:

IronBullet

Astronomy Domine
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Hi, welcome to Smogon! I'll have to lock your RMT as your descriptions are lacking and not up to the standard required by the forum rules. You need to provide in-depth descriptions for each Pokemon to explain their roles. Please read the rules carefully and take a look at Team Showcase to see the level of detail we require. PM me with updated descriptions and I'll be happy to unlock this.

Edit: Reopened

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)