Pokémon Decidueye

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't really mind if it isn't all that hot. I'm just so pissed at the wasted potential. Just one change would make this mon solid. Give it WoW, Leech Seed, make some minor stat changes, hell even 10 points more in speed would do wonders. Take 30 offa SP.atk and put them literally anywhere else. Or at least give it more coverage in said stat. That would do so much to help show how powerful Spirit Shackle is.

Even its ability does it no favors. A more offensive mon would appreciate it more.

I'm a sucker for design. I use Vileplume in OU, clearly a big win/loss ratio isn't the most important to me. I'm just upset at how much it brings to the table, only for it not to matter. He brings everything but the beer to a Superbowl party.
I do feel you in that Decidueye is a bit of a bummer because it is so tantalizing close to being good. But at the same time, Pokemon is full players like Decidueye who miss their potential. Beartic not learning Earthquake despite being a 600 lb bear (when Blissey of all things knows EQ) and Crabominable having 0 priority despite Ice Shard/Mach Punch/Bullet Punch all being flavor approved options are other examples of squandered greatness.

Also Colonel M was straight savage last post. The bird got put in its place.

It's only hope post-bank is going to be move tutors and a shifting meta that favours role compression (even then, it'll have to deal with 4MSS).

It's only hope post-bank is going to be move tutors and a shifting meta that favours role compression (even then, it'll have to deal with 4MSS).
It's an archer so clearly Thousand Arrows Decidueye is on the way. Would be Option #9 or so and really drive in the ever present 4MSS that defines Birdman.

Offensive Decidueye @ Choice Band/Decidium Z

-Long Reach
-Leaf Blade
-Brave Bird
-Sucker Punch
-Spirit Shackle

EV spread: 4HP & Max Atk/Spe

It's an archer so clearly Thousand Arrows Decidueye is on the way. Would be Option #9 or so and really drive in the ever present 4MSS that defines Birdman.
If this is true, Alakazam is getting Prismatic Laser & All flying types get Oblivion Wing

King's Shield, Spiky Shield, and Baneful Bunker (lol).
Rough Skin + Iron Barbs too

But in terms of matchups, what does Long Reach actually accomplish? Keeping Birdman Junior in against Garchomp/Ferrothorn does not sound appealing even with Long Reach.

Rough Skin + Iron Barbs too

But in terms of matchups, what does Long Reach actually accomplish? Keeping Birdman Junior in against Garchomp/Ferrothorn does not sound appealing even with Long Reach.
Mostly because it still does more than Overgrow overall. Since Decidueye's Speed isn't the best, the likelihood of it getting to use that Overgrow boost is less.

Is Long Reach really even better than Overgrow? When does it matter?
Ignores Fluffy, allows it to spam U-turn without worry of Iron Barbs, Rocky Helmet, Flame Body, etc., just a lot of little things that make it better than Overgrow overall. Usually Decidueye just runs Spirit Shackle as its only attack anyway on its best sets for the most part, so the ability doesn't matter that much, but on sets that use U-turn, Sucker Punch, Brave Bird, Low Sweep, etc Long Reach is definitely the way to go.

Usually it's not about 1v1 matchups, but for things switching into it.

Considering how high this bird's popularity is in both the games and Ash having a Rowlett now, I'm sure gamefreak will add something in the game in the future to give it some sort of buff. As this all seems very reflective of Greninja. But for now, it seems like a UU and lower mon that is great at trapping and tanking special hits.

So why is this thread open? This and a few others. I thought it was decided that this mon has no place in this tier, and limited use in the other one.

Reactions: rau
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)