COMMUNITY VOTE: IRC vs Discord

Should ASB move to Discord or stay on IRC?

• Move to Discord

Votes: 27 67.5%
  • Stay on IRC

Votes: 13 32.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dogfish44

You can call me Jiggly
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributor
Thinking about +ves and -ves for IRC and Discord, when compared to each other.

IRC's strengths are in age - ASBot is designed for IRC (Although a port shouldn't be too rough), IRC is practically not noticeable in terms of internet usage, and even if one IRC server is permanently closed, migrating to a new server is not the end of the world. However, it's age also has a habit of showing - muting users is often difficult, the ignore function is dire.

Discord's strengths are in organisation and permanancy. As it stands, I am in 39 Discord Servers, and 189 individual rooms between these servers. Discord servers by nature are less accessible for spambots and trolls, and with practically no effort spam is non-existant.

A large amount of this organisational strength comes in roles. In essence, roles can be applied to users - sort of like applying a +v tag in IRC. This allows for the creation of private rooms without any hassle, but also allows for other things. For instance, rather than highlighting the entire gym committee individually, you can instead tag the gym committee role. Because the format for this is consistent, it guarantees that all members of the role will see the tag.

I... don't think I can see reason to not switch over, especially once the ASBot clone is complete. It will also help with membership retention - our target audience is primarily Smogon, and Smogon has almost entirely moved over to Discord and PS (We're the last IRC Holdouts). A Discord link is much simpler than an IRC Server + Room setup, and experience tells us that IRC is the easiest way to retain members.

Responding to Gale's points:

• I very rarely Edit + Delete my own stuff (Users can E+D their own posts, and I tend to just * my edits), but for a mod, the deletion power is useful in maintaining an atmosphere that's not harmful to the community. For context, in the discords I mod, I've never deleted posts.
  • I think you've mis-interpreted Fort's point on blocking users. On IRC, you can /ignore a user, and you won't see their posts. But, since other users will, they might talk with the user you've ignored, which means you can't see the context of the conversation without using .log (Which not everyone has acccess to). Discord, rather than outright removing the post from your feed, hides it. So when they're talking, you can expand the hidden posts to get context.
  • Discord permanently maintains a log, but yes, this includes edits. Setting up a bot to maintain original logs (pre-deletion/edit) has been done before without too much hassle, however.
  • As a mod, Discord gives me a hammer to deal with nails - IRC is more prone to give me a sledgehammer. Quite often IRC arguments end with a mod enforcing a channel mute (+m), shouting at people, and then unmuting. On Discord, individual users can be muted and talked to, without disrupting the general chat.

For a change, I'm agreeing with IAR with regards to Discord being a fresh start. I believe that voice chats will help there - I have always believed in the mantra, 'Remember the Human', and voice is the strongest step towards that.

In regards to the asbot, it should be reading moves, Pokemon, abilities, and items by the end of this week. Then the calculator and that should be a majority of the major features

In regards to the asbot, it should be reading moves, Pokemon, abilities, and items by the end of this week. Then the calculator and that should be a majority of the major features
If you could get it to read the hall ranks sheet, that's another commonly used feature.
Oh and stuff like !speed and !combo, but those are just simple matters of functionname(arg1, arg2) arg1 * 2.5 + arg2 etc

No demands or anything, don't mean to be rude

No I genuinely need this kind of feedback. Once I get the main code from my friend on my computer, little math changes like this are within my reach even with a language I don't know.

No I genuinely need this kind of feedback. Once I get the main code from my friend on my computer, little math changes like this are within my reach even with a language I don't know.
If you could make !recap work more than once a day, that would be great. Perhaps the hourly basis at which it was intended to perform at?

Its_A_Random

A distant memory
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
If you could make !recap work more than once a day, that would be great. Perhaps the hourly basis at which it was intended to perform at?
You don't need !recap for Discord because the client gives context the moment you log into the room, i.e. you join and see the messages posted while you were offline, giving an effective !recap.

You don't need !recap for Discord because the client gives context the moment you log into the room, i.e. you join and see the messages posted while you were offline, giving an effective !recap.
This is correct, discord, as soon as you join a room gives you access to all messages posted, and even has a feature to take you to the top of the list of messages since you last looked. It'll work as long as you haven't clicked inside of the response bubble afaik. So that's actually a huge benefit. Also, there is a Pin function that can pin the beginning of a major discussion and it can take you to the top of that as well, so those are some nice built in features.

Its_A_Random

A distant memory
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Just going to say that based on this I will probably start up a Discord Server soon, and the reason we need to do this before the bot is even ready is because we need an actual server in order to test the bot out and also get some things like permission groups etc; I've been informed by EndlessAge et al that they need a Discord Server soon for their bot (which is still a few weeks away from being fully operational).

Any objections?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)