Retro Rad: Battling with RBY VC Pokemon

So one of the coolest things about the Pokebank update for me has actually been those transferred in Pokémon with the Game Boy icon in the corner. Here's why.

In addition to the special moves these guys can learn, hidden abilities, the ability to manipulate nature, and the at least 3 perfect IVs with every transfer, which have all been discussed in depth...

When the VC Pokémon come to sun and moon their EVs are a blank slate. This means I can take a Pokémon that's not just level 1 or needing to be reset, send it to Isle Evelup and have a battle ready Pokémon relatively quickly. I've already done this with my Pikachu from Yellow (named Spongebob) and hope to apply this much more in the future.

Do you have any re-creations from your childhood or Pokémon you just got to know in the VC games that you can't wait to let loose in Alola? I'd love to see some moveset ideas :)

PS: I thought I heard that the one drawback is that the VC mons can't be used in the battle spot. Is this true?

Boa1891

Ninja Researcher
is a Researcher Alumnus
PS: I thought I heard that the one drawback is that the VC mons can't be used in the battle spot. Is this true?
Correct, as of right now I believe Rating battles only permit Pokemon with the clover, meaning they were caught or bred in Alola. Same for VGC17. Additional rules may be in place but this is one of them AFAIK.

Jibaku

Who let marco in here????
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Standard Rating battles allow pentagon Pokemon as well (so it still excludes RBY mons). However, the current Special season allows older transfers I believe. Would not be a horrible idea to make use of that Dual Screen Electrode from RBY there.

The VC mons (or at least the Kangaskhan I wanted to use) can't even be used in Battle Spot Free modes of play. Man, I wanted to cheese everyone on Battle Royal with Seismic Toss Mega Kangaskhan...

At least I can use her in Battle Tree if I wanted...even though I already earned all the prizes and stamps from there. Hopefully I can still use them in PVP battles and Friendly Competitions.
e: I was able to use my Mega Kangaskhan in a friendly competition held by Serebii. OK, at least they are usable there.

Also, I tried to enter a battle on the Rated Special ladder with said Kangaskhan, and was denied. Nothing on the team's suspect other than her, btw. =x

Last edited:

I just got MY DREAM BIRB I'M SO HAPPY THANKYOU RANDOM PLAYER a VC Zapdos through Wonder Trade and used her to test this out - she can be used in Free Battles. I can't explain why my Zapdos is allowed and BlakDragon's Kanga isn't, though.

Last edited:
Steel With It Upon seeing your post I tried again. Turns out I can use my aforementioned Kangaskhan on Battle Spot now (at least in the Free modes, anyway), since I got past the team selection screen this time. =)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)