Smogon Simple Questions & Suggestions Thread

x TwirlyPanda x said:
I have the same problem, it looks like you must have played a certain amount of games to try, but I don't know. It seems rather confusing.
Ok, glad to see that I'm not the only one with this problem.

Pilo

uses walther
is a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Sorry, quoted the wrong thing.

But anyways, I apparently didn't have sufficient permission to reply there.
I have the same problem, it looks like you must have played a certain amount of games to try, but I don't know. It seems rather confusing.
This is likely due to the fact that the threads you two were viewing are currently locked on account of there being no open signup slots for the tiers you'd like tutoring in. Just wait a tiny while for signups to reopen and you should be fine.

Reactions: nv
Pilobacon said:
This is likely due to the fact that the threads you two were viewing are currently locked on account of there being no open signup slots for the tiers you'd like tutoring in. Just wait a tiny while for signups to reopen and you should be fine.
Ok, thanks.

TMan87

We shall bow to neither master nor god
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Not sure if it's the right place to ask, but why can't I access the SCMS page (http://www.smogon.com/scms/), even though I do have a badge (I was told it was the condition to access it) ?
It simply displays "There has been an error. Let chaos know." and "Not logged in.", even when I'm connected through Smogon.

Max. Optimizer

free to be the greatest
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Not sure if it's the right place to ask, but why can't I access the SCMS page (http://www.smogon.com/scms/), even though I do have a badge (I was told it was the condition to access it) ?
It simply displays "There has been an error. Let chaos know." and "Not logged in.", even when I'm connected through Smogon.
According to the CMS guide you need to fulfill the following two criteria:
you a) need a badge (which you're in IS so congrats! you got the first part down) and b) you must have the "Stay Logged In" checkmark checked when you sign into the forums.
Verify if you have the "Stay Logged In" checkmark checked

I hope that you found this helpful.

Last edited:
I think when looking at the description on a tier on the main site, there should be a list of Pokemon with an analysis written for it. This would be useful to see which Pokemon have a niche in a certain tier, even if they aren't in that tier. Same goes for Other Metagames. It's pretty difficult for newbies to see exactly what is considered viable in those. Similarly, descriptions of moves should show which Pokemon have sets which recommend this move. We have this already for items, so why not moves?

Gimmick

Electric potential
What is the reasoning behind displaying shiny Pokemon during team preview? Some event Pokemon, most notably Happy Hour Jirachi, provide immediate information at team preview based on whether or not it's shiny, which can definitely change the way a battle is played. For example, if an opponent sees a non-shiny Jirachi at team preview, they immediately know that it will not have Z-Happy Hour and thus will not be pressured to keep a check to that set healthy. From what I know (I've never actually played a wifi battle with the cartridges), this information is not given during team preview in-game, so is this a feature unique to simulator play?

edit: I guess this could go in the PS Q&A thread as well, but this might have been a competitive decision made by Smogon.

Last edited:
Hello!! Old time competitive player hero trying to get back on the scene. I have played basically all the 3 past genarations for fun only, stop played competively after the end of gen 3. I have however played some occasional showdown on these gens just to see how things were going, so Im kinda used to the current meta(if it even exits with SuMo being so new).

So long story short Im not very much used to the smogon's forum section and Im looking for Threads to study a bit of the current predominant strats and sets as I feel somehow lost navigating on this forum besides the fact that Im very used to the others smogons functions.

I just want to clarify that im not a newbee and I understand all the mechanics and Major playstyles, but I need to read on the new strats and counter strats to easy my learning curve on gen 7, so If someone can pinpoint me the best threads to take the most of this new competitive I would appreciate it.

Hello!! Old time competitive player hero trying to get back on the scene. I have played basically all the 3 past genarations for fun only, stop played competively after the end of gen 3. I have however played some occasional showdown on these gens just to see how things were going, so Im kinda used to the current meta(if it even exits with SuMo being so new).

So long story short Im not very much used to the smogon's forum section and Im looking for Threads to study a bit of the current predominant strats and sets as I feel somehow lost navigating on this forum besides the fact that Im very used to the others smogons functions.

I just want to clarify that im not a newbee and I understand all the mechanics and Major playstyles, but I need to read on the new strats and counter strats to easy my learning curve on gen 7, so If someone can pinpoint me the best threads to take the most of this new competitive I would appreciate it.
i suggest the OU competitive discussion forum: http://www.smogon.com/forums/forums/sm-overused.387/
you can look at stats on smogon with the dex most of the sets aren't up there yet though.

sandshrewz

POTATO
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
If it's unused then what's the point of having it shown?
This is part of the XenForo forum system as stated here. To my knowledge it isn't a straight forward button change whether or not to display it and will require changing the forum code. We did hide the number of likes from being shown in the user profile with such a workaround but this was an active decision made by the staff.

However, don't do more than what's necessary and the trophy points are left untouched and visible, in case we ever decide to use them (which is quite possible) so that we don't have to mess with forum code as much as possible.

Hope that answers your queries :)

Hi! I'm trying to use a gif as an avatar, but it doesn't work. The Gif's size is under 100 kb and fits the proportions.
The Error message says it's size is more than 100 kb. I don't get why it says that.

I also found a similar question being asked earlier in this thread and couldn't find an answer to it.

Thanks in Advance! :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 5)