Resource VGC: Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer

Is there any point investing in speed on a Whimsicott if all its moves are boosted by prankster? Basically are than any notable pokemon that use +1 priority moves that i would want to outspeed?

Is there any point investing in speed on a Whimsicott if all its moves are boosted by prankster? Basically are than any notable pokemon that use +1 priority moves that i would want to outspeed?
Fast Whimsicott can outspeed Adamant Talonflame, but that's all that comes to mind. Speed investment is useful for when you want to hit something with Moonblast, and depending on how you're using it Whimsicott might not need those EVs elsewhere. Bulky Whimsicott still gets OHKOd by a lot, so you might want Focus Sash; with Focus Sash, it kind of makes sense to run max Special Attack and max Speed so Whimsicott can actually deal damage itself and not be pure support.

Which is arguably more common? I'm trying to decide if it's worth continuing to SR for HP Fire or if I should just take the HP Ice one that I'm sitting on.
Ice is more common, I've yet to see a Koko running Fire.

Keep in mind some Garchomps prepare for HP Ice Koko

Is Modest or Timid better on a Scarf Nihilego in the VGC17 format? U are slower than Scarfchomp but u get more power if u play it Modest so I´m not that sure what to use

Is Modest or Timid better on a Scarf Nihilego in the VGC17 format? U are slower than Scarfchomp but u get more power if u play it Modest so I´m not that sure what to use
Majority of Scarfchomp are Adamant so Modest Scarf Nihilego outspeeds them anyways. I don't think Scarf is really the best set on Nihilego either way, Life Orb and Focus Sash tend to be better.

Yeah both are already taken in my team so I'll try Scarf
Is Modest in general the best nature for the Scarfset or does it get outspeeded by some important Choice Scarf Users then?

When registering for the official online Battle Competitions (like the Alola Friendly coming up in a few days), is one required to register his or her team as well? I apologize if this was not the best place to ask this, but it looked like the most appropriate forum.

When registering for the official online Battle Competitions (like the Alola Friendly coming up in a few days), is one required to register his or her team as well? I apologize if this was not the best place to ask this, but it looked like the most appropriate forum.
You only register your team when the tournament begins and you start battlling.

When you and your opponent both switch one pokemon, what determines who switches first?

Had a couple of times where we've both switched to Arcanine, except i switched first and the intimidate fell on the pokemon that then immediately got switched out. Bit of a loss :(

Pyritie

TAMAGO
is an Artist
When you and your opponent both switch one pokemon, what determines who switches first?

Had a couple of times where we've both switched to Arcanine, except i switched first and the intimidate fell on the pokemon that then immediately got switched out. Bit of a loss :(
I believe it uses the speed of the mon switching out

Yup. Switching is actually a like making a move with its own priority level. So if two mons try to switch at the same time they're just trying to move on the same priority so the mon with the higher speed will switch first. This is important to think about because abilities like intimidate, weather inducing abilities, and terrain inducing abilities are activated as soon as the switch occurs, so the player that switches a slower mon has the advantage there. This also means that except for the very first turn, the speed of the mon that has one of the mentioned abilities does not matter in getting their effect off.

Relatively new to VGC, want to start soon. What best options should I take from this step. I.e watching streams, and building an understanding of how vgc works. I'm a tcg player, so nay similarities you can pull between them would be great.

Relatively new to VGC, want to start soon. What best options should I take from this step. I.e watching streams, and building an understanding of how vgc works.
Aaron Zheng's youtube is a good place to start - in his Road to Ranked videos he's pretty good about explaining his thought process during each turn, and he has a couple team reports up which go through some of his teambuilding process. The other main thing you should do is just start playing - take a team from Aaron's channel, Hibiki's channel, one of the team reports on Trainer Tower, whatever. Play a bunch of games, save replays of your losses and try to analyze your play. Play a good number of games with several different teams to figure out what you like, and once you have some idea of what you want to use in this format start building your own teams. The discord server is pretty active and you can go there for help with teambuilding (and for fun and memes).

Been playing around with a team lately buy haven't found a good 6th member. Looking for some suggestions on potential additions.

Pheromosa - LO Physically offensive w U-turn
Tapu Lele - Psych-Z Offensive
Porygon2 - Mixed attacker with TR/Recover
Tapu Koko - Specs w Volt Switch
Marowak-A - Standard offensive

I have tried AV Goodra, Scarf Mence, and Milotic but I never seem to bring the pokemon...an intimidate user might be good, weather setter, another mon for slow mode...I'm kinda stuck to be honest but I really like the synergy these mons have had for me so far

Last edited:
Been playing around with a team lately buy haven't found a good 6th member. Looking for some suggestions on potential additions.

Pheromosa - LO Physically offensive w U-turn
Tapu Lele - Psych-Z Offensive
Porygon2 - Mixed attacker with TR/Recover
Tapu Koko - Specs w Volt Switch
Marowak-A - Standard offensive

I have tried AV Goodra, Scarf Mence, and Milotic but I never seem to bring the pokemon...an intimidate user might be good, weather setter, another mon for slow mode...I'm kinda stuck to be honest but I really like the synergy these mons have had for me so far
I'm leaning towards Snorlax or Celesteela as a good fit for this team

I'm leaning towards Snorlax or Celesteela as a good fit for this team
What would you recommend for sets? A bulky Belly Drum Snorlax would be interesting if I drop U-turn for Speed Swap on Pheromosa - Having trouble with fitting Celesteela on the team though it does have good synergy with Marowak.

A very bulky WP Metagross also seems interesting to me - if only it got elemental punches in this game...

What would you recommend for sets? A bulky Belly Drum Snorlax would be interesting if I drop U-turn for Speed Swap on Pheromosa - Having trouble with fitting Celesteela on the team though it does have good synergy with Marowak.
I think Snorlax could be pretty effective here even without giving Pheromosa Speed Swap, just as an additional TR attacker / answer to opposing TR. Would recommend Belly Drum for this team but you could try a Curse+Recycle set as well.

Snorlax @ Figy Berry
Ability: Gluttony
Level: 50
EVs: 68 HP / 252 Atk / 188 Def
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Return
- High Horsepower
- Belly Drum
- Protect

I think Snorlax could be pretty effective here even without giving Pheromosa Speed Swap, just as an additional TR attacker / answer to opposing TR. Would recommend Belly Drum for this team but you could try a Curse+Recycle set as well.

Snorlax @ Figy Berry
Ability: Gluttony
Level: 50
EVs: 68 HP / 252 Atk / 188 Def
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Return
- High Horsepower
- Belly Drum
- Protect
I'll play around with something like that for a bit. Interested in the concept

Best counters to Marowak-Alola ? Besides Muk anyway
In addition to Rakom's suggestions, Krookodile resists Shadow Bone, has Intimidate to weaken its attack, and can deal big damage with both of its STAB's (OHKO with a Z-Move). Mandibuzz also has enough bulk and the typing to take a Flare Blitz, and can either Foul Play it for big damage, or if it is running Knock Off, get rid of the Thick Club and render it weak, although I am not sure whether it would be considered a check or a counter.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 4)