Serious Feeling of Lesser Quality?

BP

Beers and Steers
is a Contributor to Smogon
This year has been super hard for me as a person. My wrestling this year has been quite lackluster despite the time, money, and effort I put into the offseason to make myself better. My grades have been dipping because of my responsibilities in Sports, Smogon, PS!, etc. I have been trying so hard to make people in my life happy while maintaining a good place of mind. I broke up with my girlfriend a day before valentines because I just didn't like her anymore. Her friends are harrassing me and it is starting to make me feel like shit. Not only this but she gave me an album of a Band I really like as a Valentine's day gift which made me feel like even more of a huge Douche. What really pushed me over the edge happened just recently. I lost a poll in the CAP forum by one spot to a user who I feel isn't on par with me nor is a good fit for the role. It made me feel like trash I actually debated whether or not I should abandon my role completely. I tried sharing my input on an important but while writing my post someone of higher rank basically stated everything I was going to say in my post. On top of all this I take the ACT in a week from tomorrow. Everything has just caused an extreme buildup of stress and I want it to stop. I just feel like absolute garbage.

Usually when I feel like trash I listen to some of my favorite bands such as Star Set, Nirvana, Ninja Sex Party, The Smashing Pumpkins, or Post Malone. One of my favorite things to do is turn on my subwoofers in my vehicle and listen and feel the speakers bump. This is the my usual favorite when I bump them.

What I want to know is what you guys do when you feel the lowest of lows. I don't care if you eat, log on to Smogon/ PS!, etc. I just want to know what you do. Please keep in mind though that I want this to be serious if you are going to give an answer please explain why it works for you. I want to thank you for listening to bitch about my life currently so feel free to bitch about yours as well!

Last edited:
I feel you dude cuz I feel myself kinda getting low as of recently. This semester is my first semester as a full time student in college and it's kinda stacking on the pressure. I just feel like I'm not performing as well as I could, and it getting me down and impacting a lot of aspects in my life like sleep, social life, and even PS!.

When I get like this I just sulk around in my room when I'm not in class and do something like watch anime or read, or sometimes I'll just try and sleep it off. I'm gonna try and start going to the gym soon because I want something to occupy myself/mind instead of just sitting around and to motivate me to do something other than sulk.

BP

Beers and Steers
Mr. Miner over the summer I lifted almost every day and went distance running in order to keep myself in shape. It was probably the most refreshing things I could have done. I felt like I was invincible during those days. I highly recommend lifting if you are feeling down. It is a great way to get out any emotions and also it can make you feel more positive about your self image.

Yeah I've had a lot of friends and other people in general say it's amazing and makes you just feel overall better about yourself. I'm definitely gonna look into it.

emma

is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Past SCL Champion
DPL Champion
I agree with the OP, this happens a lot to me and I know a lot of friends both here on Smogon / PS! and irl. I think it comes from our natural ability to doubt ourselves, for example, all of us could name three amazing things about your best friends but very few could do it about ourselves. You just need to remember that you are of much worth to your friends and family, even if you don't feel like it. Personally, I like to just talk to my friends, I always have fun and remind myself that I make other people happy. Weight lifting or working out in general also helps for me, but probably won't for those not interested in athletics.

tl;dr: happens to everyone, find ways to remind yourself that you make people smile

Don't let your online obligations interfere with your real life. If you're at that point where smogon and pokemon are adding to your stress, you need to think hard about what you're getting out of spending time on this site. If this site is stressing you out, you're doing it wrong. Take a break and maybe re-evaluate your priorities. Talk to your friends, your parents, your sibling, someone about the stress in your life. I think it's really helpful experience to have someone just listen to you when you're going through a rough time.

I'm personally going through a bit of a tough time irl so I'm taking a break from the activities I normally enjoy doing on this site so I don't get overwhelmed. Life is tough but you should never have to tough it out by yourself.

Matame

New Rules
Sorry to hear that your going through hard times :( happens to the best of us

I think I speak for most people when I say taking to people you hold close to yourself is a great remedy for when your feeling down, which can consist of close real life friends, family memebers or even ps! Friends. Venting to people you care about in the fashion of how you did so in this thread, for me at least, lifts a weight off of your shoulders and they can give you advice or even closure which can make your problems more manageable.

other posts cover most things up well but need to address this

I lost a poll in the CAP forum by one spot to a user who I feel isn't on par with me nor is a good fit for the role. It made me feel like trash I actually debated whether or not I should abandon my role completely.
this isn't an actual problem in your life. other shit is more important.

good luck on your act's.

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Mr. Miner over the summer I lifted almost every day and went distance running in order to keep myself in shape. It was probably the most refreshing things I could have done. I felt like I was invincible during those days. I highly recommend lifting if you are feeling down. It is a great way to get out any emotions and also it can make you feel more positive about your self image.
I'm going to give a jab that the season's over for you now-- my old state already had state championships recently. In Hawaii, there'd have been huge pressure to show up at Judo team practice as soon as wrestling states was over, but I'd normally blow it off to celebrate with my teammates the ability to swallow down whole ice cream pies and not give a shit about weight for a while. I recommend considering if this mood couldn't be solved with some post-season gorging.

Meanwhile, looking to training, did you pick up any other grappling sports off season? Just 2 cents, since some free-style/greco competition or the afformentioned judo can be the x-factor in kicking up your ability.

BP

Beers and Steers
Chou Toshio Now that wrestling season is over A lot of my stress will go away and I focus on my grades again for the most part. I honestly can't wait to wrestle greco over the summer though. Greco is a lot of fun and I love wrestling it. I am not too familiar with grappling but I can manage in a greco match.

DTC It was more of a position that I really wanted. The fact that I lost to a user I consider to be lackluster really made me feel of lesser quality. It just really hit me hard that I wasn't valued as a contributor as much as the said individual that won. I wanted to be a leader and in order to do so leaders don't just sit back and watch they take a stand. By losing the poll I was denied my leadership.

Last edited:

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Chou Toshio Now that wrestling season is over A lot of my stress will go away and I focus on my grades again for the most part. I honestly can't wait to wrestle greco over the summer though. Greco is a lot of fun and I love wrestling it. I am not too familiar with grappling but I can manage in a greco match.

DTC It was more of a position that I really wanted. The fact that I lost to a user I consider to be lackluster really made me feel of lesser quality. It just really hit me hard that I wasn't valued as a contributor as much as the said individual that won. I wanted to be a leader and in order to do so leaders don't just sit back and watch they take a stand. By losing the poll I was denied my leadership.
I think of Grappling as a catch all phrase that includes most if not all non-striking martial arts (wrestling, judo, jiujutsu, sumo, etc.), though I guess Jiujutsu likes to throw the phrase around the most since they are the ones most proactive about incorporating technique from the others. Judo tends to be the most purist, but I think all of them have a lot to learn from each other-- you learn to move your body in new ways. Off-season Greco is definitely a huge plus for a folk style wrestler (though I personally can't stand it compared to freestyle), as is Judo. In Hawaii, Judo is an official state sport, and for most schools wrestling and judo have a massive overlap, with many of the top players being very strong in both.

I don't really like Judo much because the leverage of the gee means that intuition and instinct (which I kinda sucked at in throwing moves) often trump pure technique and execution, but it really is good for training that intuition. And it's a pretty great asset for Freestyle especially...

OLD GREGG (im back baby)

old gregg for life
Just by going off the title of the OP, you still have some learning to do.
Most importantly-there will always be someone who is better, without exception. New job? Someone is already there who has more experience and does it better.
New house? Someone down the street probably has a nicer one. I can go on with this, but I think the point is clear.

When you compare yourself to others objectively, the results can be depressing. I've learned not to emulate others and just be the best person I can be.
Focus on myself, basically and not give myself a hard time over what others do/did/have. If you feel meant to do something then do your best to make it happen, don't give up at any old minor setback. If this is not what you really want then someone else would be better fulfilling the role, anyhow.

Keep your head up and figure out your priorities. Pokemon is a fun hobby, keyword-hobby.

Only you know what comes first in your life, so focus on your priorities. When you get haxed in a game, just remember that irl you are the one doing the haxing and all will be well.

When in a foul mood the simple things can really change my attitude. A nice song I can relate to, a good food to fill me tummy, a good chat with good people. Im pretty consistent in my feelings but everyone has bad days so when you are having one, just get comfortable and remember tomorrow is a new day!

Last edited:
Reactions: BP
I hate to say I don't have a lot to say, but I hope your rough times to get better! and this bass boosted Weezy is incredible good lord

BP

Beers and Steers
I am going to take a leave from Pokemons Showdown!. I plan on still being on Smogon and Perhaps i will pop in the rooms every once in awhile but I don't foresee myself coming on in awhile. I am not retiring but some shit has come up IRL and I need to handle it. Thanks for everything dudes and I appreciate you guys. I promise I will be on as much as I can

Tagging users I think will care maybe idk
Akir
sparktrain
Paradise
Anty
Birkal
HeaLnDeaL
jas61292
snake_rattler
atomicllamas
DTC

Something to note because I will be on Smogon still I plan on continuing my activity on current Tours, Threads, Etc.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)