Resource Simple Questions, Simple Answers Thread (read the op before posting a thread)

does anybody know the autotomize celesteela set? or have a sample team they could give me?
Celesteela @ Flyinium Z
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 84 HP / 252 SpA / 172 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Air Slash
- Giga Drain
- Fire Blast
- Autotomize

172 Spe outspeeds neutral Speed nature Pheromosa after a boost. Modest +252 EVs for obvious reasons, Air Slash + Flyinium Z gives a one-time nuke to get you going, Giga Drain hits most of what Air Slash and Fire Blast do not. It's completely walled by Heatran, so be sure to remove that threat before attempting a sweep.

Last edited:
Is there any reason whatsoever why you'd prefer either Moonlight or Morning Sun over the other on Necrozma? Like a potentially relevant Imprison user or type-changing shenanigans?

Is there any reason whatsoever why you'd prefer either Moonlight or Morning Sun over the other on Necrozma? Like a potentially relevant Imprison user or type-changing shenanigans?
No. Imprison is not a viable move. Really, there is no reason whatsoever to use Moonlight over Morning Sun or vice versa. Also, type-changing shenanigans is only Protean (Greninja) or Soak (Pyukumuku).

Moonlight is better just in case you encounter a Sand or Rain team where your recovery will be nerfed.

Moonlight is better just in case you encounter a Sand or Rain team where your recovery will be nerfed.
"Moonlight restores the user's current HP based on the weather in the battle. During no weather it restores ½ total HP, during harsh sunlight it restores ⅔ total HP, and during other weather it restores ¼ total HP." - Bulbapedia

Moonlight is still subject to the same weather rules, so no difference to note.

The only Pokemon that learns both Imprison and Morning Sun is Smeargle. Imprison and Moonlight is learned by Smeargle, Musharna, and Sableye.

If you're using a Normal type Z-move on Necrozma, then Morning Sun is the obvious choice as having access to its stat resetting effect can be invaluable. Necrozma doesn't learn any other Fairy moves.

There's also the possibility that you'll encounter Skill Swap Protean Kecleon, so you need to be ready for that. Being able to become a Normal type lets you dodge Ghost attacks, but becoming a Fairy type lets you resist Dark and Bug moves.

I believe the choice is obvious.

Has anyone used Chandelure lately? I've been messing around with offensive ghosts (mostly Gengar and Mimikyu) and I'm less sure about how ass it is rn. I used a scarf set in alpha (I'll admit I gave up on Gengar way too soon) and it was OK but I haven't tried anything with it lately.

I'm not sure when Chandelure would be used that Gengar or Marowak wouldn't be any better, honestly. Gengar is a faster specially offensive ghost (with arguably a better secondary STAB now that Bisharp is less common) and Marowak uses its defensive typing more efficiently. I guess Chandelure has better raw power with Specs to spam Shadow Ball, but I don't know how effective that is.

Maybe it fills a niche with Flash Fire, but as it is it feels even more outclassed than previous gens because of Marowak.

Why are there so many tiering differences between OU and Battle Spot? I'm not talking about obvious things (Blaziken forbidden in OU but legal in Battle Spot) but other Pokemon. Here are some examples: Pheromosa (OU:S, BS:B+), Dugtrio (OU:A, BS: not listed), Tangrowth (OU:A, BS: not listed), Alakazam (OU:A-, BS: not listed), Porygon 2 (OU: not listed, BS:A), Raikou (OU: not listed, BS:B), Hydreigon (OU: C-, BS:B+), Mega Lucario (OU:banned!, BS:A-)

Last edited:
Why are there so big tiering differences between OU and Battle Spot? I'm not talking about obvious things (Blaziken forbidden in OU but legal in Battle Spot) but other Pokemon. Here are some examples: Pheromosa (OU:S, BS:B+), Dugtrio (OU:A, BS: not listed), Tangrowth (OU:A, BS: not listed), Alakazam (OU:A-, BS: not listed), Porygon 2 (OU: not listed, BS:A), Raikou (OU: not listed, BS:B), Hydreigon (OU: C-, BS:B+), Mega Lucario (OU:banned!, BS:A-)
OU is a 6v6 metagame, Battle Spot is a 3v3 metagame. Many pokemon which are good in battle spot get taken over the top in 6v6.

Why are there so many tiering differences between OU and Battle Spot? I'm not talking about obvious things (Blaziken forbidden in OU but legal in Battle Spot) but other Pokemon. Here are some examples: Pheromosa (OU:S, BS:B+), Dugtrio (OU:A, BS: not listed), Tangrowth (OU:A, BS: not listed), Alakazam (OU:A-, BS: not listed), Porygon 2 (OU: not listed, BS:A), Raikou (OU: not listed, BS:B), Hydreigon (OU: C-, BS:B+), Mega Lucario (OU:banned!, BS:A-)
Battle Spot is run by Nintendo for the on-cart ladder. OU is Smogon's metagame purely for simulation.

New here, so bear with me if this is incredibly stupid...

I've yet to finish Sun, but been trying to form a competitive team. Came across a thread online saying Choice Items now only lock the user in once they use a direct attack. Is this true?

Main reason I'm asking is I have a Life Orb SD Set for Garchomp, but wondering if Choice Scarf/Band may be a better option

Last edited:
New here, so bear with me if this is incredibly stupid...

I've yet to finish Sun, but been trying to form a competitive team. Came across a thread online saying Choice Items now only lock the user in once they use a direct attack. Is this true?

Main reason I'm asking is I have a Life Orb SD Set for Garchomp, but wondering if Choice Scarf/Band may be a better option
Choice items lock you into a move. That's why status move on a choiced pokemon is a dumb idea.

Yeah, I always thought this, but saw this thread: https://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/187276-pokemon-sun/74865873

No mention of it anywhere else. I'd imagine most people would never have tried to use a non-offensive move, so it'd be hard to discover this change
If this were true, it would have been found by now. As it stands, there's no evidence that this change has happened.

After using Spikes, Specs Greninja is unable to use any other moves.

Generally speaking, I'd take anything you'd hear on Gamefaqs with a grain of salt, especially when it comes to mechanics or competitive play.

If this were true, it would have been found by now. As it stands, there's no evidence that this change has happened.

Generally speaking, I'd take anything you'd hear on Gamefaqs with a grain of salt, especially when it comes to mechanics or competitive play.
Cheers, seemed too good to be true!

Well, Showdown isn't evidence, but it's still way too unlikely to have changed.

Otherwise, guys that play only on cartridge would have found out, right?

My guess is that someone used a Status move and then was Tricked or Switcheroo'd a Choice item (as this does not lock you to the previous move) and thought it was a new mechanic.

OU is a 6v6 metagame, Battle Spot is a 3v3 metagame. Many pokemon which are good in battle spot get taken over the top in 6v6.
Battle Spot is run by Nintendo for the on-cart ladder. OU is Smogon's metagame purely for simulation.
First of all, thanks for your answers :)

But could you elaborate on this a bit more? I'm well aware that Battle Spot is run by Nintendo and that some Pokemon are good in BS but bad in OU and vice versa, hence the tiering differences. But my question is, why do Pokemon work so differently in these 2 different metas? You technically have to create a good team consisting of 6 Pokemon in both OU and BS. The only difference is that in BS, you choose 3 Pokemon to fight with after seeing the opponent's team. What difference does that make? Take Raikou for example. Raikou might have to deal with the same counters in both BS and OU. And since these counters are too troublesome at the moment, Raikou isn't used in OU. It is used in BS though. Why? Is it because if you only have to beat 3 Pokemon, it's sturdy enough to do its job? Or are 3-Pokemon teams easier to handle in general? But if so, why are some Pokemon (e.g. Alakazam) good in OU but not even listed in BS? So it's not like it's easier for every Pokemon to be good in BS than in OU. I'm just wondering what the exact circumstances are that make the tiering lists so different.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)