Metagame SM NU Alpha Discussion (read post #153)

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyanize

Mantra Good I Casted So Many Spells U Idiot
is a Community Contributor
Hm, I'm kinda surprised at a few mons that haven't been mentioned yet.

Shaymin @ Life Orb / Choice Specs
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe / 4 Def
IVs: 0 Atk
Timid Nature
- Seed Flare
- Air Slash / Hidden Power [Rock]
- Dazzling Gleam / Hidden Power [Rock]
- Synthesis / Healing Wish / Rest / Tailwind / whatever lol

Not only is Shaymin one of the cutest mons in the tier, it's also one of the most fearsome special wallbreakers boasting above average offensive stats, a straight up broken STAB, and pretty much all the coverage it would ever need. It also provides nice defensive syngergy with some mons due to it's resistance to Ground and Water, and an ability that makes it a fantastic status sponge, and great options in the last slot to support either it's own longevity or it's team.
Shaymin thrives on the lack of relevant defensive Steel types to check it and Fire types bar Moltres and bulky Talon being terribly easy to wear down. If you need an offensive Water check or grass type, look no further.

Moltres @ Life Orb / Grassium Z / Leftovers
Ability: Flame Body
Modest / Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Hurricane
- Roost
- Hidden Power [Grass] / Solar Beam / U-turn / Will-O-Wisp

Speaking of Moltres, this thing is reallly good. Awesome dual STAB, good speed and great power, and very nice bulk all contribute to this being a force to be reckoned with. Flame Body makes things revenging Moltres from the physical side wary if they use a contact move, but Pressure is probably just as good in order to make bulky mons waste their recovery faster. Moltres is just ridiculously hard to switch in to right now - good thing it misses :pimp:

Cryogonal @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 96 Spe / 56 SpD / 108 Def
Calm Nature
- Freeze Dry
- Knock Off / Haze
- Rapid Spin
- Recover

Cryo is amazing after the bulk buff it got this gen, and I'm honestly suprised nobody's spoken on it by now. It's arguably the best bulky spinner we have due to the multitude of threats it stops, including pretty much every special attacker that is neutral on it electrics, waters, dragons, fairies, psychics not using psyshock, etc) and is also one of the few stops to Mega Glalie due to it's interesting set of resistsances. The speed beats max speed positive nature base 80s, SpD + Calm hits a jump point and lets it avoid 2hkos from few cool hits like Modest LO Hoopa Shadow Ball and Specs Noivern Hurricane. However, its walling effectiveness is greatly reduced after Rocks get up, so you really have to pick and choose your switches after they do - however, you can exploit the hell out of opposing bulky mons to get rid of hazards.
252 SpA Choice Specs Noivern Draco Meteor vs. 248 HP / 56+ SpD Cryogonal: 175-207 (48.2 - 57%)
252 SpA Choice Specs Ribombee Moonblast vs. 248 HP / 56+ SpD Cryogonal: 127-150 (34.9 - 41.3%)
252 SpA Life Orb Sharpedo Hydro Pump vs. 248 HP / 56+ SpD Cryogonal: 126-149 (34.7 - 41%) -- guaranteed 3HKO (fun fact, you also live crunch/wfall and ohko back with freeze dry)
252+ SpA Life Orb Hoopa Shadow Ball vs. 248 HP / 56+ SpD Cryogonal: 140-165 (38.5 - 45.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252 SpA Choice Specs Espeon Psychic vs. 248 HP / 56+ SpD Cryogonal: 148-175 (40.7 - 48.2%)
52+ SpA Life Orb Vikavolt Thunderbolt vs. 248 HP / 56+ SpD Cryogonal: 153-181 (42.1 - 49.8%)
252+ SpA Choice Specs Rotom-Mow Leaf Storm vs. 248 HP / 56+ SpD Cryogonal: 202-238 (55.6 - 65.5%)
252 SpA Life Orb Shaymin Seed Flare vs. 248 HP / 56+ SpD Cryogonal: 142-169 (39.1 - 46.5%)
252 Atk Refrigerate Glalie-Mega Double-Edge vs. 248 HP / 108 Def Cryogonal: 161-189 (44.3 - 52%)
+1 252 SpA Venomoth Bug Buzz vs. 248 HP / 56+ SpD Cryogonal: 115-136 (31.6 - 37.4%)

You could potentially put the extra few Def points all the way into SpD or SpA, but you lose the ability to wall Glalie without Rocks.

Salazzle @ Black Sludge
Ability: Corrosion
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Toxic
- Disable
- Flamethrower

Another Salazzle set, this time with a focus on disruption as opposed to offense. Corrosion + Salazzle's defensive typing give a SubToxDisable set nice usability and allows it to mess with bulkier teams pretty effectively. It also has blazingly fast speed, allowing it to Disable even some choiced mons, like Specs Espeon and Meloetta and Band Tyrantrum. Overall a pretty cool set despite it's poor bulk - you guys should try it out.

Y'know, despite all the ridiculous broken stuff we have rn, this meta's actually kinda fun. Hopefully this will get NU back active again.

e: lol 100th post :0

Last edited:

Drapionswing

Eating it up, YUMMY!
is a CAP Contributor Alumnus

Poliwrath @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 HP / 96 Def / 160 Spe
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Toxic
- Ice Beam
- Focus Blast​
One pokemon that I see getting a lot of usage is Poliwrath.

As we already know, poliwraths typing leaves it with a lot of handy resistances being, Bug, Dark, Fire, Ice, Rock, Steel and it's ability gives it a straight up immunity to water type moves. Poliwrath's typing allows it to threaten out a lot of potential rockers such as Steelix, Rhyperior, Omastar, Kabutops allowing it to retain a lot of momentum and keep up pressure in games. It can check a lot of scary threats like Sharpedo, Houndoom, Sneasel and inceneroar and act as a way of threatening Tyranturm after it's either killed something with head smash or when you predict an absolute head smash. Although vaccum wave gives poliwrath priority against a lot of pokemon and safely revenge things like. I think toxic may be a better option for more defensive pokemon like Slowking, Jeliccent, Cresselia, and Gastrodon, which may want to try and take advantage of poliwrath. Definitely have high expectations of this pokemon.

The evs listed allow poliwrath make tyrantums outrage a 3HKO whilst allowing you to outspeed neutral max speed torterra, however if you don't care too much for torterra and base 55's like cacturne you can run 56 speed allowing you to outspeed max speed both exeggutor's and pokemon with base 45 speed alike.

Last edited:
Hm, I'm kinda surprised at a few mons that haven't been mentioned yet.

Shaymin @ Life Orb / Choice Specs
Timid Nature
- Seed Flare
- Air Slash / Hidden Power [Rock]
- Dazzling Gleam / Hidden Power [Rock]
- Synthesis / Healing Wish / Rest / Tailwind / whatever lol

Not only is Shaymin one of the cutest mons in the tier, it's also one of the most fearsome special wallbreakers boasting above average offensive stats, a straight up broken STAB, and pretty much all the coverage it would ever need. It also provides nice defensive syngergy with some mons due to it's resistance to Ground and Water, and an ability that makes it a fantastic status sponge, and great options in the last slot to support either it's own longevity or it's team.
Shaymin thrives on the lack of relevant defensive Steel types to check it and Fire types bar Moltres and bulky Talon being terribly easy to wear down. If you need an offensive Water check or grass type, look no further.

Moltres @ Life Orb / Grassium Z / Leftovers
Ability: Flame Body
Modest / Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Hurricane
- Roost
- Hidden Power [Grass] / Solar Beam / U-turn / Will-O-Wisp

Speaking of Moltres, this thing is reallly good. Awesome dual STAB, good speed and great power, and very nice bulk all contribute to this being a force to be reckoned with. Flame Body makes things revenging Moltres from the physical side wary if they use a contact move, but Pressure is probably just as good in order to make bulky mons waste their recovery faster. Moltres is just ridiculously hard to switch in to right now - good thing it misses :pimp:

Cryogonal @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 96 Spe / 56 SpD / 108 Def
Calm Nature
- Freeze Dry
- Knock Off / Haze
- Rapid Spin
- Recover

Cryo is amazing after the bulk buff it got this gen, and I'm honestly suprised nobody's spoken on it by now. It's arguably the best bulky spinner we have due to the multitude of threats it stops, including pretty much every special attacker that is neutral on it electrics, waters, dragons, fairies, psychics not using psyshock, etc) and is also one of the few stops to Mega Glalie due to it's interesting set of resistsances. The speed beats max speed positive nature base 80s, SpD + Calm hits a jump point and lets it avoid 2hkos from few cool hits like Modest LO Hoopa Shadow Ball and Specs Noivern Hurricane. However, its walling effectiveness is greatly reduced after Rocks get up, so you really have to pick and choose your switches after they do - however, you can exploit the hell out of opposing bulky mons to get rid of hazards.
252 SpA Choice Specs Noivern Draco Meteor vs. 248 HP / 56+ SpD Cryogonal: 175-207 (48.2 - 57%)
252 SpA Choice Specs Ribombee Moonblast vs. 248 HP / 56+ SpD Cryogonal: 127-150 (34.9 - 41.3%)
252 SpA Life Orb Sharpedo Hydro Pump vs. 248 HP / 56+ SpD Cryogonal: 126-149 (34.7 - 41%) -- guaranteed 3HKO (fun fact, you also live crunch/wfall and ohko back with freeze dry)
252+ SpA Life Orb Hoopa Shadow Ball vs. 248 HP / 56+ SpD Cryogonal: 140-165 (38.5 - 45.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252 SpA Choice Specs Espeon Psychic vs. 248 HP / 56+ SpD Cryogonal: 148-175 (40.7 - 48.2%)
52+ SpA Life Orb Vikavolt Thunderbolt vs. 248 HP / 56+ SpD Cryogonal: 153-181 (42.1 - 49.8%)
252+ SpA Choice Specs Rotom-Mow Leaf Storm vs. 248 HP / 56+ SpD Cryogonal: 202-238 (55.6 - 65.5%)
252 SpA Life Orb Shaymin Seed Flare vs. 248 HP / 56+ SpD Cryogonal: 142-169 (39.1 - 46.5%)
252 Atk Refrigerate Glalie-Mega Double-Edge vs. 248 HP / 108 Def Cryogonal: 161-189 (44.3 - 52%)
+1 252 SpA Venomoth Bug Buzz vs. 248 HP / 56+ SpD Cryogonal: 115-136 (31.6 - 37.4%)

You could potentially put the extra few Def points all the way into SpD or SpA, but you lose the ability to wall Glalie without Rocks.

Salazzle @ Black Sludge
Ability: Corrosion
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Toxic
- Disable
- Flamethrower

Another Salazzle set, this time with a focus on disruption as opposed to offense. Corrosion + Salazzle's defensive typing give a SubToxDisable set nice usability and allows it to mess with bulkier teams pretty effectively. It also has blazingly fast speed, allowing it to Disable even some choiced mons, like Specs Espeon and Meloetta and Band Tyrantrum. Overall a pretty cool set despite it's poor bulk - you guys should try it out.

Y'know, despite all the ridiculous broken stuff we have rn, this meta's actually kinda fun. Hopefully this will get NU back active again.
This is INCREDIBLY nitpicky and I apologize, but I don't think you can disable an espeon because of magic bounce

marilli

With you
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Former Other Tournament Circuit Champion
Hi!

I played some games on sm nu for the first time in ages. There are a lot of hyper offensive teams. I think this set is helpful:

Hitmontop @ Life Orb
Ability: Technician
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Fake Out
- Mach Punch
- Bullet Punch
- Close Combat

This Hitmontop fits best in Hyper Offense, against Hyper Offense, which seems to be the most popular in the metagame. As this frees up much defensive duty on the rest of your team, have your pick amongst some of the more dangerous sweepers because any one of them can bust defensive cores this Hitmontop will be mere death fodder to, so you need to compensate for your matchups. Stone Edge can also OHKO switch-ins that resist Fighting that are most likely to be seen on offensive teams: Yanmega, Moltres, etc., but you are strained for moveslots already.

Keep Stealth Rocks up, as most offensive Fighting-resists are weak to them, and leave the defensive ones to be exploited by teammates.

This set probably will lose most of its steam as the meta slows down and be overtaken by Hitmonlee which has Knock Off and Hi Jump Kick to deal relevant chip damage against bulky Pokemon. But for now, this set is sure to pressure most offensive teams, and revenges most of the speed boosting threats of the metagame: namely Cloyster, Hawlucha, Venomoth, Sharpedo, and Tyrantrum, so u can focus on playing your own game instead of having to react to theirs.

Thanks!

cyanize

This is INCREDIBLY nitpicky and I apologize, but I don't think you can disable an espeon because of magic bounce
Yeah, you're right. I wasn't thinking about that when i said it lol

So that this post isn't just a one liner, I'll drop a team.

Moltres @ Life Orb
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Hurricane
- Roost
- U-turn

Rotom-Mow @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Trick
- Leaf Storm

Espeon @ Choice Specs
Ability: Magic Bounce
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Dazzling Gleam
- Shadow Ball
- Trick

Rhyperior @ Leftovers
Ability: Solid Rock
EVs: 248 HP / 28 Atk / 232 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Rock Blast
- Stealth Rock
- Megahorn

Cryogonal @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 108 Def / 64 SpD / 96 Spe
Calm Nature
- Freeze-Dry
- Knock Off
- Recover
- Rapid Spin

Granbull @ Normalium Z
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Impish Nature
- Play Rough
- Earthquake
- Heal Bell
- Roar

The concept behind the team is simple - generate momentum by using the threat of Moltres' and Rotom-Mow's threatening stabs. Espeon is nice for firing off strong Psychics after you weaken Steels with all the pivoting going on, and forces your opponent to play more conservatively with their hazard setters. Rhyp is just a good mon, and Cryo gives the team some special bulk and cores well with Rhyperior. Granbull is in the last slot because I really needed a Dark, Dragon, and Fighting check that didn't get steamrolled by Sharpedo. The team strruggles a tiny bit with Dragalge if it manages to get in, so don't click Leaf Storm too much while it's around. Durant is also a pain to switch in to, since both of my physically defensive mons are painfully weak to it, and Psyshock Psychics are annoying to deal with, especially with Rocks up.
Despite all that, overall it's a pretty fun team to play with, and you guys should give it a spin.

e: erisia suggested normalium z granbull for heal bell and that's a great idea so i put it on

Last edited:

erisia

Innovative new design!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Hey so I thought we could use some role compendium style stuff so I've made a list of all the relevant entry hazard users we have atm. I haven't included mons like Kabutops / Minior / Cloyster that usually have better things to do. This list might be overly generous (looking at you Cacturne) but I don't care.

Stealth Rock:

Spikes:

Toxic Spikes:

cyanize might add some more relevant roles later idk.

cyanize

As requested, here's hazard control.

Offensive Spin:
(also alolan)
Defensive Spin:

Offensive Defog:

Defensive Defog:

Magic Bounce:

I'm also gonna put a list of walls/clerics here. Someone else can do offensive mons if they want :>

Clerics:
(no wish)
(no wish)

Special Walls:
(steel)

Physical Walls:
(poison)

e: split hazard clearers into offensive and defensive

Last edited:

Shadestep

volition immanent
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
we just did a quick Teambuilding Workshop with the lads. Here's what we ended up with:

Tyrantrum @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Rock Head
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Outrage
- Head Smash
- Superpower
- Earthquake

Whimsicott @ Pixie Plate
Ability: Prankster
Timid Nature
- Moonblast
- Giga Drain
- U-turn
- Encore

Seismitoad @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Scald
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Knock Off

Hitmontop (M) @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Impish Nature
- Close Combat
- Rapid Spin
- Foresight
- Toxic

Moltres @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Hurricane
- Roost
- U-turn

Cresselia (F) @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Psyshock
- Moonblast
- Moonlight

We started off with Scarf Tyrantrum as the basis of our team, as we aimed for Offense. All we had people seen use so far was offensive fast stuff and Tyrantrum is awesome in revenge-killing and nuking shit. We added Offensive Whimsicott next as it beat most Rock-resists like Rhyperior and Seismitoad. After that we were kind-of stuck on the next couple Pokemon, so we used a Moltres + Hitmontop core, two Pokemon that really work well toeghet for obvious reasons; Moltres U-turns on bulky Rock-types, Hitmontop beats those, Spins away SR, etc etc. At this point we were on the last two mons when we realized 'shit, we need rocks lol'. Soooo.. we added Seismitoad. also a solid Fire-resist, Head Smash 'switch-in' (as if there are any haha!), and obviously, Stealth Rock. Hawlucha was still a big pain in the ass, as well as other Fighting-types like Gallade, Sawk, and Hitmonlee, as Offensive Whimsicott just doesn't cut it as a lone Fighting-resist. Cress is absolutely disgusting but hey, let's abuse the broken stuff while it's still here.. right?

Thanks to erisia , Orphic , PrinceLucian , Watchog , Varsen, and some others I'm most likely forgetting for helping out with the Teambuilding Session. Hopefully more will be added soon. Have fun with the team!

logs: http://pastebin.com/X95mq6NG

poh

<?>
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Thought i'd help out a bit. Let me know if i missed any or if i should remove some.
Boosting Sweepers

Swords Dance:
(all forms)

Calm Mind:

Nasty Plot:

Quiver Dance:

Shell Smash:

Rock Polish:

Belly Drum:

Dragon Dance:

Bulk Up:

Curse:

Other:

Rain Abusers:

Sun Abusers:

Priority:

Weather Setters:

Rain:

Sun:

Hail:

Last edited:
Faticate doesn't really get much time to utilize Bulk Up considering how frail it is, especially in a meta where you see Fighting-types EVERYWHERE. Turtonator also prefers Shell Smash over Bulk Up the majority of the time considering how sparse its physical movepool is (and very mediocre attack stat too). Komala is probably in the same boat as Faticate.

Nasty Plot Togetic is irrelevant as long as Baton Passing is banned.

Belly Drum Magmortar is a gimmicky set that only works on teams that fear Venomoth.

Psychic- and Fire-type Oricorio formes are irrelevant right now as long as Xatu, Charizard, and Moltres exist. SubCM could work for Fire, though (haven't tested it yet), but Psychic is completely outclassed at the moment.

I also kind of question Rhydon being on here since Rhyperior exists now.

cyanize

Faticate doesn't really get much time to utilize Bulk Up considering how frail it is, especially in a meta where you see Fighting-types EVERYWHERE. Turtonator also prefers Shell Smash over Bulk Up the majority of the time considering how sparse its physical movepool is (and very mediocre attack stat too). Komala is probably in the same boat as Faticate.

Nasty Plot Togetic is irrelevant as long as Baton Passing is banned.

Belly Drum Magmortar is a gimmicky set that only works on teams that fear Venomoth.

Psychic- and Fire-type Oricorio formes are irrelevant right now as long as Xatu, Charizard, and Moltres exist. SubCM could work for Fire, though (haven't tested it yet), but Psychic is completely outclassed at the moment.

I also kind of question Rhydon being on here since Rhyperior exists now.

It's nice to be inclusive in the case of Turtonator, Komala, Magmortar, and the Oricorios, though I agree that Rhydon, Togetic, and Faticate don't have much of a place on the list.

Also, PursuitOfHappiny you should add a few Sun and Rain Sweepers: Ludicolo and Poliwrath for rain, and Charizard, Pyroar, Sawsbuck, Exeggutor, Victreebel, and Lilligant for sun. Thanks for your help :>

http://www.smogon.com/stats/2017-01/gen7rualpha-1695.txt

Idk if you guys want to use these, but technically these stats are more accurate because they cover the entire month of January as opposed to just a couple of days near the end of the month.

I think the only changes this would result in would be that you guys get Rotom-Heat in exchange for Whimsicott, but I only skimmed the 1695 stats a bit.

Last edited:

erisia

Innovative new design!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
we just did a quick Teambuilding Workshop with the lads. Here's what we ended up with:

Tyrantrum @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Rock Head
Jolly Nature
- Outrage
- Head Smash
- Superpower
- Earthquake

Whimsicott @ Pixie Plate
Timid Nature
- Moonblast
- Giga Drain
- U-turn
- Encore

Seismitoad @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Scald
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Knock Off

Hitmontop (M) @ Leftovers
Impish Nature
- Close Combat
- Rapid Spin
- Foresight
- Toxic

Moltres @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Hurricane
- Roost
- U-turn

Cresselia (F) @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Psyshock
- Moonblast
- Moonlight

We started off with Scarf Tyrantrum as the basis of our team, as we aimed for Offense. All we had people seen use so far was offensive fast stuff and Tyrantrum is awesome in revenge-killing and nuking shit. We added Offensive Whimsicott next as it beat most Rock-resists like Rhyperior and Seismitoad. After that we were kind-of stuck on the next couple Pokemon, so we used a Moltres + Hitmontop core, two Pokemon that really work well toeghet for obvious reasons; Moltres U-turns on bulky Rock-types, Hitmontop beats those, Spins away SR, etc etc. At this point we were on the last two mons when we realized 'shit, we need rocks lol'. Soooo.. we added Seismitoad. also a solid Fire-resist, Head Smash 'switch-in' (as if there are any haha!), and obviously, Stealth Rock. Hawlucha was still a big pain in the ass, as well as other Fighting-types like Gallade, Sawk, and Hitmonlee, as Offensive Whimsicott just doesn't cut it as a lone Fighting-resist. Cress is absolutely disgusting but hey, let's abuse the broken stuff while it's still here.. right?

Thanks to erisia , Orphic , PrinceLucian , Watchog , Varsen, and some others I'm most likely forgetting for helping out with the Teambuilding Session. Hopefully more will be added soon. Have fun with the team!

logs: http://pastebin.com/X95mq6NG
tfw you make a workshop team that gets made obsolete within hours of it being made. :o

So this isn't a complete shitpost let's compare our three resident Rotom-formes:

Rotom-Mow has already gotten a fair amount of hype for hitting pretty much every Electric-immune Pokemon in the tier hard with STAB Leaf Storm, giving it a basically unblockable Volt Switch. Something I haven't seen yet that sounds good is a Grassium-Z set that tricks people into thinking you're locked into Volt Switch. It's quite easy to bluff Scarf or Specs and so people might become overconfident switching in their Steelix or Torterra depending on the circumstance. Then they'll stay in assuming they've forced a switch and you can just wallop them with Bloom Doom, and then follow up with another Leaf Storm. It also gives you a strong Grass-type attack that doesn't drop your Special Attack, which can be handy in the early game.

252 SpA Rotom-Mow Bloom Doom (195 BP) vs. 244 HP / 128 SpD Steelix: 327-385 (92.8 - 109.3%) -- 75% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
Rotom-Heat might seem a little bit worse in this metagame as Overheat doesn't hit many Electric-immunes for more damage than Leaf Storm, and you also get a Stealth Rock weakness. On the other hand, being able to roast Grass-types is great, especially considering how popular Shaymin is and how capable it is of absorbing and healing off Volt Switches. Resisting BoltBeam is also excellent, although it's sadly not very relevant in this metagame yet. Finally regular Rotom still exists as an offensive spinblocker, and being a hard check to Hawlucha is a very nice attribute to have. I don't think it will be as viable as it was in ORAS but I expect it will still probably be decent if lacking a little bit in power.

EDIT: NEVER MIND, the final stats have been released and we lost Rotom-Heat and got back Whimsicott. We also lost Blastoise so rip our favorite Water-type starter. Idk why Arcanine is in the stats as it's definitely UU.

Last edited:

poh

<?>
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Me, erisia and Blast made an early SMNU Pre Alpha Speed Tier list!

Tier 0: Boosts Required

Stat / Pokemon / Base / Nature / EVs / Boost

736 / Hawlucha / 118 / Positive / 252 / +2
571 / Ribombee / 124 / Positive / 252 / +1
568 / Kabutops / 80 / Positive / 252 / +2
558 / Klinklang / 90 / Neutral / 252 / +2
549 / Salazzle / 117 / Positive / 252 / +1
534 / Slurpuff / 72 / Positive / 252 / +2
530 / Tyrantrum / 71 / Positive / 252 / +2
525 / Espeon, Tauros, Raichu-A / 110 / Positive / 252 / +1
524 / Ludicolo, Cloyster / 70 / Positive / 252 / +2
518 / Kabutops, Stoutland / 80 / Neutral / 252 / +2
516 / Barbaracle / 68 / +Spe / 252 / +2
513 / Pyroar / 106 / Positive / 252 / +1
508 / Scyther / 105 / Positive / 252 / +1
505 / Delphox / 104 / Positive / 252 / +1
502 / Sandslash, Sandslash-A / 65 / Positive / 252 / +2
494 / Seismitoad / 74 / Neutral / 252 / +2
492 / Shaymin / 100 / Positive / 252 / +1
486 / Slurpuff / 72 / Neutral / 252 / +2
478 / Ludicolo, Cloyster, Victreebel / 70 / Neutral / 252 / +2
478 / Espeon, Raichu-A, Tauros / 110 / Neutral / 252 / +1
475 / Primeape, Jynx, Uxie, Haunter, Sawsbuck / 95 / Positive / 252 / +1
472 / Scrafty / 58 / Positive / 252 / +2
470 / Barbaracle / 68 / Neutral / 252 / +2
463 / Rotom / 91 / Posiitve / 252 / +1
459 / Venomoth, Lilligant / 90 / Positive / 252 / +1
458 / Sandslash, Sandslash-A / 65 / Neutral / 252 / +2
456 / Vivillon / 89 / Positive / 252 / +1
450 / Hitmonlee / 87 / Positive / 252 / +1
447 / Rotom-Mow / 86 / Positive / 252 / +1
433 / Sharpedo / 95 / Neutral / 252 / +1
430 / Scrafty / 58 / Neutral / 252 / +2

Tier 1: +1 Neutral Base 58's to Positive Base 145's

427 / Accelgor / 145 / Positive / 252 / 0
426 / Gardevoir, Medicham, Braviary / 80 / Positive / 252 / +1
406 / Vikavolt / 43 / Positive / 252 / +2
397 / Tyrantrum / 71 / Positive / 252 / +1
394 / Aerodactyl / 130 / Positive / 252 / 0
393 / Hoopa / 70 / Positive / 252 / +1
392 / Rhyperior / 40 / Positive / 252 / +2
390 / Meloetta-P / 128 / Positive / 252 / 0
386 / Talonflame / 126 / Positive / 252 / 0
386 / Turtonator / 36 / Positive / 252 / +2
381 / Ribombee / 124 / Positive / 252 / 0
379 / Noivern / 123 / Positive / 252 / 0
376 / Emboar / 65 / Positive / 252 / +1
372 / Sceptile, Minior (Shields Down) / 120 / Positive / 252 / 0
368 / Hawlucha / 118 / Positive / 252 / 0
366 / Salazzle / 117 / Positive / 252 / 0
364 / Whimsicott / 116 / Positive / 252 / 0
361 / Sneasel, Persian-A, Cinccino, Ambipom / 115 / Positive / 252 / 0
358 / Rhyperior / 40 / Neutral / 252 / +2
355 / Lycanroc / 112 / Positive / 252 / 0
354 / Scrafty / 58 / Positive / 252 / +1
350 / Espeon, Froslass, Tauros, Archeops, Dodrio, Dugtrio-A, Raichu-A / 110 / Positive / 252 / 0
348 / Durant / 109 / Positive / 252 / 0
346 / Virizion / 108 / Positive / 252 / 0
342 / Pyroar, Liepard / 106 / Positive / 252 / 0
339 / Zoroark, Cryogonal, Mismagius, Scyther, Manectric / 105 / Positive / 252 / 0
337 / Delphox / 104 / Positive / 252 / 0
328 / Shaymin, Charizard, Glalie-Mega, Typhlosion, Ninetales, Comfey / 100 / Positive / 252 / 0
322 / Sigilyph / 97 / Positive / 252 / 0
322 / Scrafty / 58 / Neutral / 252 / +1

Tier 2: Positive Base 60's to Positive Base 95's

317 / Silvally (all forms), Houndoom, Jynx, Xatu, Sawsbuck, Haunter, Yanmega, Primeape, Electivire, Drapion / 95 / Positive / 252 / 0
313 / Oricorio (all forms) / 93 / Positive / 252 / 0
310 / Bruxish / 92 / Positive / 252 / 0
309 / Rotom / 91 / Positive / 252 / 0
306 / Meloetta, Venomoth, Moltres, Lilligant / 90 / Positive / 252 / 0
304 / Vivillon / 89 / Positive / 252 / 0
300 / Hitmonlee / 87 / Positive / 252 / 0
299 / Shaymin, Glalie-Mega / 100 / Neutral / 252 / 0
298 / Rotom-Mow / 86 / Positive / 252 / 0
295 / Sawk, Articuno, Qwilfish / 85 / Positive / 252 / 0
289 / Sharpedo, Yanmega / 95 / Neutral / 252 / 0
289 / Lycanroc-Midnight / 82 / Positive / 252 / 0
284 / Gardevoir, Medicham, Gallade, Braviary, Mesprit, Kabutops, Stoutland, Passimian / 80 / Positive / 252 / 0
280 / Vanilluxe / 78 / Positive / 252 / 0
279 / Kangaskhan, Klinklang, Zangoose / 90 / Neutral / 252 / 0
277 / Vivillon / 89 / Neutral / 252 / 0
273 / Garbodor, Absol / 75 / Positive / 252 / 0
269 / Sawk, Articuno / 85 / Neutral / 252 / 0
267 / Slurpuff / 72 / Positive / 252 / 0
265 / Magmortar / 83 / Neutral / 252 / 0
265 / Tyrantrum / 71 / Positive / 252 / 0
262 / Hoopa, Cloyster, Ludicolo, Samurott, / 70 / Positive / 252 / 0
259 / Gardevoir, Medicham, Gallade, Braviary, Mesprit, Shiftry, Stoutland / 80 / Neutral / 252 / 0
258 / Barbaracle / 68 / +Spe / 252 / 0
255 / Vanilluxe / 78 / Neutral / 252 / 0
251 / Sandslash, Sandslash-A / 65 / +Spe / 252 / 0
251 / Hitmonchan / 76 / Neutral / 0 / 0
249 / Claydol, Absol / 75 / Neutral / 252 / 0
247 / Seismitoad / 74 / Neutral / 252 / 0
245 / Malamar / 73 / Neutral / 252 / 0
243 / Slurpuff / 72 / Neutral / 252 / 0
241 / Tyrantrum, Bibarel / 71 / Neutral / 252 / 0
240 / Abomasnow, Incineroar, Toucannon / 60 / Positive / 252 / 0

Tier 3: Uninvested Base 54's to Neutral Base 70's

239 / Hoopa, Cloyster, Hitmontop, Ludicolo, Samurott, Victreebel / 70 / Neutral / 252 / 0
236 / Comfey, Miltank, Linoone / 100 / Neutral / 0 / 0
236 / Scrafty / 58 / Positive / 252 / 0
235 / Barbaracle, Exploud / 68 / Neutral / 252 / 0
229 / Komala, Sandslash, Sandslash-A, Emboar / 65 / Neutral / 252 / 0
229 / Omastar / 55 / Positive / 0 / 0
226 / Uxie, Xatu / 95 / Neutral / 0 / 0
219 / Abomasnow / 60 / Neutral / 252 / 0
215 / Pangoro, Aurorus, Scrafty / 58 / Neutral / 252 / 0
211 / Torterra / 56 / Neutral / 252 / 0
209 / Machamp, Golurk, Cacturne / 55 / Neutral / 252 / 0
207 / Crustle / 45 / +Spe / 252 / 0
206 / Cresselia / 85 / Neutral / 0 / 0
203 / Vikavolt / 43 / Positive / 252 / 0
196 / Mesprit, Braviary/ 80 / Neutral / 0 / 0
196 / Rhyperior / 40 / Positive / 252 / 0
189 / Exeggutor-A, Golem-A / 45 / Neutral / 252 / 0
188 / Turtonator / 36 / Positive / 252 / 0
186 / Garbodor, Claydol / 75 / Neutral / 0 / 0
185 / Vikavolt, Crabominable / 43 / Neutral / 252 / 0
184 / Seismitoad / 74 / Neutral / 0 / 0
182 / Malamar / 73 / Neutral / 0 / 0
179 / Rhyperior / 40 / Neutral / 252 / 0
179 / Carracosta / 32 / Positive / 252 / 0
176 / Hitmontop, Poliwrath, Samurott / 70 / Neutral / 0 / 0
170 / Lanturn / 67 / Neutral / 0 / 0
166 / Komala, Umbreon, Vaporeon / 65 / Neutral / 0 / 0
165 / Seismitoad / 74 / -Spe / 0 / 0
163 / Carracosta / 32 / Neutral / 252 / 0
156 / Jellicent, Weezing / 60 / Neutral / 0 / 0
146 / Golurk, Bouffalant, Exeggutor / 55 / Neutral / 0 / 0
144 / Gourgeist-XL / 54 / Neutral / 0 / 0

Tier 4: Up to Uninvested Base 50's

136 / Hariyama, Mawile, Regirock, Vileplume, Piloswine, Sableye, Eelektross / 50 / Neutral / 0 / 0
132 / Druddigon / 48 / Neutral / 0 / 0
126 / Granbull, Exeggutor-A / 45 / Neutral / 0 / 0
124 / Dragalge / 44 / Neutral / 0 / 0
122 / Vikavolt, Guzzlord / 43 / Neutral / 0 / 0
116 / Rhyperior, Camerupt, Togetic, Gurdurr/ 40 / Neutral / 0 / 0
114 / Gastrodon / 39 / Neutral / 0 / 0
108 / Drampa, Turtonator / 36 / Neutral / 0 / 0
106 / Quagsire, Spiritomb, Palossand, Mudsdale / 35 / Neutral / 0 / 0
97 / Aromatisse / 29 / Neutral / 12 / 0
96 / Slowking, Shiinotic, Cofagrigus, Steelix, Wishiwashi-School / 30 / Neutral / 0 / 0
94 / Musharna / 29 / Neutral / 0 / 0
76 / Torkoal / 20 / Neutral / 0 / 0
58 / Slowking, Cofagrigus / 30 / Negative / 0 IVs / 0
56 / Ferroseed / 10 / Neutral / 0 / 0
56 / Musharna / 29 / Negative / 0 IVs / 0
46 / Pyukumuku, Shuckle / 5 / Neutral / 0 / 0

Last edited:

Disjunction

Everything I waste gets recycled
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
hi, I've been playing a teensy bit in between school stuff that's been hounding me lately. figured I'd share some stuff I've been using and comment on the meta a little.

Shaymin @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Seed Flare
- Earth Power
- Air Slash
- Healing Wish

Scarf Shaymin is neat because of the highly offensive metagame. Healing Wish is awesome for stuff like Venomoth and Durant and it has an extremely spammable STAB in Seed Flare. You can probably replace Air Slash, Earth Power, or something with HP Rock if you're really scared of Moltres, but you're probably better off pressuring it with rocks since hazard control is kind of easy to pressure right now.

Dragalge @ Dragonium Z
Ability: Adaptability
EVs: 196 HP / 252 SpA / 60 Spe
Modest Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Sludge Bomb
- Focus Blast
- Toxic Spikes

Here's another cool one. Devastating Drake Dragalge not only provides a wallbreaker that is impossible to switch into, but it serves as a soft Fire- and Fighting-type check which are both broken types with shit like Sawk, Moltres, Typhlosion, Hitmonlee, and Salazzle running around. Dragalge naturally deters them from clicking STABs because of the looming threat of it getting the opportunity to fire off its nuke. T-Spikes are also pretty useful in a lot of matchups, re:hazard control being easy to pressure.

Exploud @ Firium Z
Ability: Scrappy
Timid Nature
- Sunny Day
- Boomburst
- Fire Blast
- Focus Blast / Solar Beam

Firium Z Sunny Day gives Exploud the ability to get +1 Speed and clean lategame after breaking down its own checks and counters all game with its ridiculous STAB and coverage. Sunny Day also has the benefit of boosting your Fire Blast for the first 4 turns of using it. I have Solar Beam slashed because it is quote unquote more reliable if you're trying to clean late-game because you can't miss, but Focus Blast provides more consistent pressure early- and mid-game on Rock-types, so I would always recommend it first. Also, despite it hindering your wallbreaking power, Timid allows you to outpace Ribombee, Noivern, and Jolly Talonflame at +1, so I think it's necessary.

I've only gotten a few games with this set, and I think it will have more potential in a metagame where everything isn't so impossibly fast or concerned with priority. This is, unfortunately, a common trend with this meta. It's pre-alpha for a reason, but it's an impossible metagame to compete in. You'll find that a majority of matches will come down to a slugfest until one of the tens of sweepers that can break the game in one turn come in. It's a fun meta to just mess around in, but anything past that the tier kind of falls apart. I've noticed a lot of people are blatantly avoiding broken shit like sun, slurpuff, and hawlucha because there's no ladder/nothing to compete for. To put it a different way, I'm relieved that this is not the tier that we will have as our first ladder on Showdown. It'll be great once UU and RU straightens stuff out for us a little bit by going through their regular metagame trends, banning mons, and causing the power to shift upwards again.

That being said, I'm still down to do more workshops for this tier. Lmk in ps chat if you see me on and you think it'd be cool to do a community teambuild.

erisia

Innovative new design!

Ditto @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Imposter
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Transform

Here comes dat boi... nah but seriously as Disjunction said this meta is filled to the brim of dangerous sweepers that can basically win from the lead slot. There's so many threats like Hawlucha, Slurpuff, Cloyster, and so on that it's impossible for a team to prepare for all of them and not suffer in general... unless you use dat boi Ditto. Just having it in the wings discourages people from attempting to set up and helps alleviate a lot of matchup issues at the moment. Most teams can't really rely on defensive synergy at the moment so it's not as if you have anything better to do with a sixth teamslot a lot of the time. Even if they don't bring a setup sweeper, being able to copy the multitude of good wallbreakers and pivots in the tier still gives it some general use. Sure it's entirely reactive in nature (and it doesn't stop things like Cresselia), but it's good enough to be worth a try on offensive teams that can't afford to give speed boosters any opportunities to clean. Not being able to copy through Substitutes is pretty annoying I guess. EVs and nature are for winning the rare Ditto vs Ditto matchup.

Thought i'd help out a bit. Let me know if i missed any or if i should remove some.
Boosting Sweepers

Swords Dance:
(all forms)

Calm Mind:

Nasty Plot:

Quiver Dance:

Shell Smash:

Rock Polish:

Belly Drum:

Dragon Dance:

Bulk Up:

Curse:

Other:

Rain Abusers:

Sun Abusers:

Priority:

Weather Setters:

Rain:

Sun:

Hail:
Regirock should be added to sun setters, as should ninetales.
Hitmontop/machamp to priority
Gorebyss to shell smashers
Noivern, Oricorio-electric, Gorebyss to rain abusers

Specs: Ribombee/Noivern/A-Raichu/Rotom/Espeon/Vika/Typhlosion/Drampa/Wishiwashi/Exploud/Dragalge
Band: Sawk/Machamp/Bruxish
Scarf: Tyrantrum/Sawk/Rotom/Garbodor/Aurorus/Typhlosion

Last edited:

poh

<?>
Regirock should be added to sun setters, as should ninetales.
Hitmontop/machamp to priority
Gorebyss to shell smashers
Noivern, Oricorio-electric, Gorebyss to rain abusers

Specs: Ribombee/Noivern/A-Raichu/Rotom/Espeon/Vika/Typhlosion/Drampa/Wishiwashi/Exploud/Dragalge
Band: Sawk/Machamp/Bruxish
Scarf: Tyrantrum/Sawk/Rotom/Garbodor/Aurorus/Typhlosion
Added Regi, Tales, Champ and Hitmontop.

Not sure if you can call Noivern and Oricorio-Electric rain abusers. If a mon learns Hurricane doesn't mean its necessarily classed as a rain abuser. Case would've been different if Oricorio learnt Thunder but alas. As for adding scarfers and all I wanted to wait till next month so I can see which mons stay/drop before adding more and more stuff to that list.

Aaronboyer

Something Worth Fighting For
is a Contributor to Smogon
Boosting Sweepers

Swords Dance:
(all forms)

Calm Mind:

Nasty Plot:

Quiver Dance:

Shell Smash:

Rock Polish:

Belly Drum:

Dragon Dance:

Bulk Up:

Curse:

Other:

Rain Abusers:

Sun Abusers:

Priority:

Weather Setters:

Rain:

Sun:

Hail:
Can you add Cresselia for Calm Mind as well? :-) I'd appreciate it.

As requested, here's hazard control.

Offensive Spin:
(also alolan)
Defensive Spin:

Offensive Defog:

Defensive Defog:

Magic Bounce:

I'm also gonna put a list of walls/clerics here. Someone else can do offensive mons if they want :>

Clerics:
(no wish)
(no wish)

Special Walls:
(steel)

Physical Walls:
(poison)

e: split hazard clearers into offensive and defensive
Spiritomb is in Physical Walls twice

Sleep on me some more (Bruxish) @ Choice Band
Ability: Strong Jaw
Jolly Nature
- Waterfall
- Psychic Fangs
- Aqua Jet
- Crunch

Just dropped by and see this thread becoming even more quiet o3o. This thing was a nightmare in our SM NU wishlist tour, cause it hardly had definite counters. As SM is coming, more threats has come, but this thing hits literally everything hard except dark types.

Some Calcs

-1 252 Atk Choice Band Strong Jaw Bruxish Psychic Fangs vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Granbull: 154-183 (40.2 - 47.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Choice Band Strong Jaw Bruxish Psychic Fangs vs. 252 HP / 240+ Def Miltank: 189-223 (47.9 - 56.5%) -- 35.5% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

I know Crunch 2HKOs but try clicking Psychic Fang, it's so addicting.
252 Atk Choice Band Strong Jaw Bruxish Psychic Fangs vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Cofagrigus: 148-175 (46.3 - 54.8%) -- 10.9% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Beats lots of Physical Walls, has Crunch for Bulky Psychics. Dark types? Here's what i've used in Sm RU ALpha, and is actually also usable here in NU alpha :D

Absorbent (Whimsicott) @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Encore
- Tailwind
- Moonblast
- U-turn

Good ol' ORAS UU Whimsicott. Just a standard support set which handles dark types and gives so much utility, encore+U-turn is just oozing with momentum, Tailwind makes Bruxish even more dangerous at extra speed, which lets it destroy offensive teams, and this just beats most of the dark types.

I'm Pretty sure there's a little chance we're keeping these.

But abuse the broken stuff in alpha.
-SM NU Pre-pre-pre-pre-pre alpha

6ft Torbjorn

formerly JoycapJoshST
Lmao this Alpha looks like a mess

Here's something on the list that stuck out to me:

hoopaC.gif

Hoopa @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Magician
EVs: 16 HP / 252 SpA / 240 Spe
Modest Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Hyperspace Hole
- Focus Blast
- Trick

With its ability to stallbreak so well through Hyperspace Hole and it's monstrous base 150 Sp.Atk, I can see this thing at least getting suspected at some point. Speed tiers in lower tiers are normally much worse then higher ones (obviously), and with that I can see this thing being able to shread a lot of unprepared teams in the tier. Pursuit trappers here that DON'T get obliterated by its coverage are damn scarce as well from what I can see (Rat-A, Zoroark and Dodrio are the only ones I can see - that latter two that get executed by Focus Blast), and in general... just think Hoopa-U last gen, but in a watered down form (this Gen, I see Hoopa-U sticking around... but that's neither here nor there).

Hoopa @ Darkinium Z
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Psychic
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast
- Snatch

Z-Snatch +2 Speed should speak for itself...

View attachment 78722
Hoopa @ Choice Scarf
Modest Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Hyperspace Hole
- Focus Blast
- Trick

With its ability to stallbreak so well through Hyperspace Hole and it's monstrous base 150 Sp.Atk, I can see this thing at least getting suspected at some point. Speed tiers in lower tiers are normally much worse then higher ones (obviously), and with that I can see this thing being able to shread a lot of unprepared teams in the tier. Pursuit trappers here that DON'T get obliterated by its coverage are damn scarce as well from what I can see (Rat-A, Zoroark and Dodrio are the only ones I can see - that latter two that get executed by Focus Blast), and in general... just think Hoopa-U last gen, but in a watered down form (this Gen, I see Hoopa-U sticking around... but that's neither here nor there).

Hoopa @ Darkinium Z
Modest Nature
- Psychic
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast
- Snatch

Heya! I liked your idea on how to mitigate Hoopa's low speed on Z-Snatch, which actually makes it a cool wallbreaker in the current fast meta.

The only thing is....
The first set actually needs to be Timid to actually outspeed stuff.
Base 70 at level 100 with 31 IVs, 252 EVs at +1: 358.

That almost only lets you outspeed the base 110's, which actually includes good stuff like Tauros, Duggy-A, Lycanroc (actually 112 but w/e), and Raichu-A. But the thing is, Timid lets you outspeed the entire non-scarfed meta, +2 slow Shell Smashers like Turtonator(Max at 376), Carracosta, and Torkoal, which is actually nice since even not maxed SpA Hoopa hits hard and catches some KOs on those faster mons after some prior damage.

252 SpA Hoopa Psychic vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Noivern: 196-232 (63 - 74.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Hoopa Psychic vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Ribombee: 219-258 (83.9 - 98.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Hoopa Psychic vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Turtonator: 187-222 (71.6 - 85%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

But tbf i really like Hoopa, although it faces competition on lots of other good scarfers, especially Salazzle, which is actually capable of checking a number of premiere sweepers at +1, like Venomoth and Yanmega(hopefully won't drop), and even the old ones like Vivillon and Lilligant which might also be very prevalent in alpha atm. So I guess Z-snatch would be the most optimal set if you want speed, but it's too early too judge since we still have a month or so.

Sorry for the nitpicky post, just really BORED™ atm. I hope people post more stuff since SMNU alpha is approaching us closer!!1

cyanize

View attachment 78722
Hoopa @ Choice Scarf
Modest Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Hyperspace Hole
- Focus Blast
- Trick

Hoopa @ Darkinium Z
Modest Nature
- Psychic
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast
- Snatch

Tbh, I am also a big fan of Hoopa, especially NP Fightinium Z, which breaks apart bulky balance and stall like no other. However, the main thing I want to say is that you missed a LOT of viable pursuit users, including that a few of them can switch in on dual STAB + Focus Blast (Skunk and Scarf Drap come to mind.) I'd go so far as to say you probably listed the three least effective Pursuit users - Zoroark's whole point is luring mons into staying/switching in, Dodrio is already strapped for slots, and Raticate is just bad. IMO, Choiced Hoopa will be very similar to how it was in ORAS RU, in which it gets a kill then dies to Pursuit whether it switches or not - especially with the high number of mons in the tier that can well utilize Pursuit (Sneasel, the aforementioned two, Houndoom, Liepard, Spiritomb, and probably even Scyther and Aerodactyl among others).

Z Snatch seems really cool, especially vs offense as a mid-late game cleaner but also probably misses a tiiiny bit of firepower without a boosting item or move, not to mention its weakness to Sucker Punch
and neutral targets that have a bit of bulk to live a hit. I'll probably give it a spin to see how effective it is, though I kinda doubt it's banworthy tbqh.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)