BSS Teambuilding & Help Thread (SuMo Edition Reloaded 2.0)

Hi,
I've run Veil+MGyarados myself on cart for a while, so i'll try to help you out on your team.

First of all just a heads up, EVs work a bit differently at Lv50 than they do at Lv100, so you want your EVs not being divisible by 8 to not waste EVs - especially since Hyper Training makes working with even IVs basically extinct (first stat number jump is at 4EVs, next at 12, then 20EVs and so on). It's nothing major by any means; you did put 248HP/8SpD on your Marowak set, so just as something to keep in mind for the future :)

I think your team might struggle with stall builds since you lack Taunt or similar tools to deal with it, so I would suggest using either Substitute or Taunt on your Gyarados, which helps against basically any stall team; Substitute will give you an even easier time to setup without fearing burns, para or toxic, but i think Taunt would be preferred to shut down any status moves including recovery on pokemon like Porygon2 too. You do have Mimikyu and Ninetales on your team so I personally think Ice fang on Gyarados isn't as needed, but with Garchomp on the team you could also go without Earthquake i guess, though there are many relevant targets for Ground coverage like Aegislash, opposing Magnezone and especially Tapu Koko once you've set up. Yes you miss out on hitting Salamence and Dragonite, but with (an admittedly frail) Ninetales-A, scarf Garchomp and Mimikyu on the team I think that's bearable.

On that note, Fairium Z > Ghostium Z is an option on Mimikyu, it lets you deal big damage against foes like Porygon2, Mega Kangaskhan, Mega Gyarados, Dragonite etc.; You will do less against Steel and Fire types with your Z move, but with Garchomp and Gyarados as teammates imo it's definitely something to consider.

Furthermore, as soLerme suggested, Celesteela would also help vs. stall with a standard Substitute/Leech seed set, with Aurora Veil on the team the Bamboo Ultra Beast can be even more annoying for opponents to face.

Marowak would still be a fine choice there, but post-bank there were many great Fire Types re-introduced to battlespot, which gives it tough competition as a bulky slow Fire type. If you don't want to run double-Mega (which could restrict in some matchups, eg.: if you need to beat Scizor/Ferrothorn and something like Mimikyu in the same match and would rather have a fire type along with m-Gyarados), I would suggest something like a bulky Rotom-Heat (@ Leftovers / Sitrus Berry) which has numerous options in Substitute, Will-O-Wisp, Toxic and Pain Split to help in tough matchups, along with great STABs (you could also run Firium Z to not lower your SpA if you need the Fire attack; Sash or Life Orb on Mimikyu is definitely a good option then, if you feel like 2 z moves are too restrictive for team preview), as well as a slow Volt Switch to bring in your other Pokemon without taking damage in favourable situations. This gives you a good answer to Steel pokemon like Kartana, Magnezone and Aegislash, which your team would have some problems with, and a good defensive pivot in and outside of Aurora Veil.
soLerme's suggestion of a Mega Charizard X does pair great with Aurora Veil though, if you are willing to take the disadvantages of having two Mega's; the combination of both Charizard and Gyarados on one team, especially with the Aurora Veil option, is extremely dangerous and hard to prepare for, since the potential Charizard Y makes things even harder for the opponent.

- Speaking of which, Charizard Y itself could be a great Fire Pokemon on your team too, with Drought keeping it from taking chip damage in the remaining Hail turns from Ninetales, while beating a lot of the current meta including bulky Water types (Tapu Fini says hi) your team could have issues with. A set of Flamethrower / Solar Beam / Hidden Power Ice / Flame Charge could work wonders with the possibility of Aurora Veil (standard Timid 252/252 spread, Flame charge is only there to let you set up and beat faster opponents it would usually faint to).

I know these were quite a few options, feel free to try a few and decide which suit your taste the best, or ignore some of them if you'd like to :D

So I tried a zard y team for bss, and it kinda flopped hard. So I'm back with a reworked team. Any feedback is appreciated, thanks.

Charizard-Mega-Y @ Charizardite Y
Ability: Drought
Level: 50
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Flamethrower
- Solar Beam
- Focus Blast
- Flame Charge

Garchomp @ Focus Sash
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Rock Tomb

Tapu Lele @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Psychic Surge
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Psyshock
- Moonblast
- Focus Blast
- Shadow Ball

Porygon2 @ Eviolite
Ability: Download
EVs: 244 HP / 156 Def / 28 SpA / 76 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Discharge
- Thunder Wave
- Ice Beam
- Recover

Aegislash @ Ghostium Z
Ability: Stance Change
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
- King's Shield
- Shadow Ball
- Flash Cannon
- Toxic

So I tried a zard y team for bss, and it kinda flopped hard. So I'm back with a reworked team. Any feedback is appreciated, thanks.

Charizard-Mega-Y @ Charizardite Y
Ability: Drought
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Flamethrower
- Solar Beam
- Focus Blast
- Flame Charge

Garchomp @ Focus Sash
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Rock Tomb

Tapu Lele @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Psyshock
- Moonblast
- Focus Blast
- Shadow Ball

Porygon2 @ Eviolite
Ability: Download
EVs: 244 HP / 156 Def / 28 SpA / 76 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Discharge
- Thunder Wave
- Ice Beam
- Recover

Aegislash @ Ghostium Z
Modest Nature
- King's Shield
- Shadow Ball
- Flash Cannon
- Toxic
The team seems balanced tbf, if it's not working you could try with Hippowdon over Garchomp to increase ZardY chances to setup with Flame Charge, and with Ferrothorn over Aegislash since the team looks a little weak to water attacks, specially if there are Z moves around or if you need to switch in charizard in its normal form/the sun is not up.

i missed the fact you have 5 mons and not 6, so i guess that straightly adding a Ferrothorn won't damage at all. Even already having Aegislash in the team.

Even a strong physical attacker could work, since the team looks like it's lacking physical offensive tools outside of Chomp that is not that huge wallbreaker.

Last edited:
Your team probably struggles with bulky waters since Charizard doesn't want to switch in and Porygon has to be careful to not be outstalled by the likes of Natures Madness Tapu Fini and chestorest/CM Suicune. Porygon2 itself seems pretty tough to handle for your team too, most things won't be able to 2hko to go through recover spam, and the Z move of your choice doesn't affect it. Similarily Bulky grounds such as Hippowdon probably give you a tough time, since especially sand setters prevent you from using Solar Beam as effectively as you would need it to be against these, and everything else is kinda hit hard by repeated Earthquakes or doesn't do much back.

If you want to go for a wallbreaker Garchomp, you could try a Swords Dance set without SR and probably Stone Edge or Poison Jab over Rock Tomb to hit Flying Types/Fairies hard respectively. Rock Tomb still is a cool tech on sash Garchomp though if you want to keep it, it just doesn't have the damage output you want on a SD set.

Thunder Wave and Discharge look kinda redundant on Porygon2, you could run Toxic or another offensive move over Twave since with the nerf, the miss chance and not reducing the speed as much as in previous gens, i think Thunder Wave is nowhere as useful as it was before. Toxic on the other hand helps you against opposing p2, as well as many other walls and adding the stalling capabilities along with Recover can save you in many situations. If you add a bulky slow pokemon on the last slot, you could also go with Trick Room to give you momentum against faster teams and having the possibilities semi TR give you can really help out against some opponents. I'd also like to know what the spread does :D i think a more physical defensive spread to take on the Dragons it is supposed to beat, such as unboosted Salamence, could benefit your team more.

Toxic on Aegislash on the other hand performs best on a Substitute Leftovers set imo (which handles p2 and a few other walls, but is not as versatile as other sets), but in this case i would add something to beat Porygon2 and other things in the last pokemon slot and give Aegislash Shadow Sneak, since Priority is always useful against teams you can't bring Tapu Lele against or when the terrain runs out. For Sneak you don't really need to go mixed, but that could even be an option too, with adding Sacred Sword to beat P2 offensively, as well as handling evasion and some defensive strategies (it ignores all stat changes on the opponent). With Sacred Sword on there, Weakness Policy could be an option to take an attack in Shield forme and boost both your Attack and Special attack.

With Scarf Tapu Lele, you could try Pheromosa in the last slot if you want something fast, since the terrain prevents priority attacks from picking it off, and it weakens opposing teams easily for sweeps from Zard or Lele, while beating dragons prior to their setup with Ice beam and hitting grounds (excluding Mamoswine, which is bopped by HJK) for SE damage, HJK everything that isn't immune or resist it and just have awesome damage output while putting a lot of pressure on the opponent. The hype around it might have died down a bit since bank release, but i think it still hasn't lost the ability to threaten a whole lot and make opponents play really carefully around it, which you could abuse with making some reads.

Other options include Kartana to handle bulky Water and Ground types better while also having Sacred sword for Porygon2; if you want to go for a more bulky and slower approach, maybe with TR Porygon2, Buzzwole and Tapu Bulu are extremely potent tanky physical attackers i could see working there.
With Mawile returning soon to the scene, the P2+Mega Mawile TR core for a semi-TR build will be as effective in gen7 or even more than it was in ORAS, and could work along with Charizard Y just fine, although you would stack an Earthquake weakness with Aegislash, which you might want to adress then. This still has to wait a few weeks though :)

Hey all, first time posting (other than like one non-gameplay-related post back in 2012) and first time trying to form a solid competitive team. I'm working to prepare my team for the February International Challenge coming up, which as I understand it operates through the Doubles Battle Slot.
The only team members I have EV trained (thus far) are my team which I used during my playthrough of the game:

Primarina @ Primarium Z
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 252 SpA / 252 SpD / 4 Spe
Naive Nature
- Ice Beam / Scald
- Psychic / Scald
- Moonblast
- Sparkling Aria

Kommo-o @ Life Orb
Ability: Soundproof
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Gentle Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Dragon Claw
- Sky Uppercut
- X-Scissor

Pallosand @ Big Root
Ability: Water Compaction
EVs: 252 SpA / [raise Def and SpD to equal level, accounting for IVs]
Rash Nature
- Giga Drain
- Earth Power
- Shadow Ball
- Psychic

Salazzle @ Firium Z
Ability: Corrosion
EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe / 4 HP
Calm Nature
- Flamethrower
- Dragon Pulse
- Toxic
- Venoshock

Tsareena @ None
Ability: Queenly Majesty
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 HP
Careful Nature
- High Jump Kick
- Trop Kick
- U-turn
- Acrobatics

My (bits of a)plan so far is: -have Primarina and Kommo-o lead, with Kommo-o safe from Primarina's Sparkling Aria from his Ability.
-Salazzle and Tsareena are sweepers.
-Pallosand relies on Giga Drain for healing, hence the buffed defensive stats aside from HP; with less HP, stolen health will refill it a greater percentage.

I'm posting here rather than RMT because I don't have anything specific in mind for the Vikavolt i used in-game:
Vikavolt @ [Unknown item]
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Def / 4 HP
Bashful Nature
- Air Slash
- Thunder Wave
- Thunderbolt
- Bug Buzz
and so I'm thinking of replacing him. I have contemplated a Rest/Sleep Talk set on him, though.
One other recommendation I've received from a friend is to swap out Pallosand for a Celesteela.

I'm completely open to any recommendations as to moves, items, anything really. I'd even consider swapping out team members if I can get the replacement at or above level 50 fairly easily.

Thanks in advance, and I apologize if i mixed up any of the above formatting!!

EDIT: corrected mistype; meant to say Kommo-o had Def EVs, not SpA.

Last edited:
Your Primarina EV spread is inefficient. Max SPD is only 1.6% specially bulkier than Max HP, which is largely negligible. However, max HP makes it 17% bulkier on the physical side and that's why max HP / max SPA is the go-to EV spread for it. Pokemon is a game of multiplication; not addition, so adding to its higher defensive stat [SPD] is actually less productive. You want each defensive stat to be as close to each other as possible for optimal bulk.

Why is Kommo-o running max SPA if it doesn't even have a Special Attack to begin with? You probably meant to invest all that in Speed, right? And I don't really know how you're sweeping anything with Tsareena unless you slap a Scarf on it or something, you're not getting very far itemless.

/LockmanCapulet

Hey, first of all welcome (back) to the forums :)
The International Competitions are all in the current VGC ruleset, which you can read up about here. Battle Spot doubles has a different banlist, allowing Mega Pokémon and Pokémon transferred through Bank with the Gen6 Pentagon Symbol, while VGC only allows pokemon found in the Alola National Dex. There's a whole section for VGC on this site too, including Viability rankings, a teambuilding forum and even a thread for the IC, which probably can aid you in your teambuilding (better than me at least :D).

I'm not a good doubles player, maybe someone else is better in helping out with the details (as the post above); a major thing that dominates in doubles/VGC is speed control though, which means most teams run attacks like Trick Room and Tailwind as well as attacks like Follow Me, Icy Wind etc. or countermeasures against these to get the momentum/advantage in the battle, so an option against those strategies, be it Taunt or your own Tailwind/Trick Room to at least not let them get the speed advantage or cancel out TR, would be very recommended. You could probably utilise Trick Room yourself, seeing that you added a bunch of pretty slow bulky pokemon already; the best setter is probably Porygon2, which can also deal with a lot of other things besides just setting up TR.
Your team currently lacks any option to deal with such setups, which probably means it would easily get defeated by a decently-played Team that has some sort of speed control.

Your Primarina EV spread is inefficient. Max SPD is only 1.6% specially bulkier than Max HP, which is largely negligible. However, max HP makes it 17% bulkier on the physical side and that's why max HP / max SPA is the go-to EV spread for it. Pokemon is a game of multiplication; not addition, so adding to its higher defensive stat [SPD] is actually less productive. You want each defensive stat to be as close to each other as possible for optimal bulk.

Why is Kommo-o running max SPA if it doesn't even have a Special Attack to begin with? You probably meant to invest all that in Speed, right? And I don't really know how you're sweeping anything with Tsareena unless you slap a Scarf on it or something, you're not getting very far itemless.

/LockmanCapulet
Ah, that's some good advice with Primarina's Hp. I never would have thought of that, thanks!! How exactly did you calculate that? Through the damage calculator here on Smogon, I assume? (I might reconsider the Def on Kommo-o and Vikavolt too...)

And speaking of which, yes, Kommo-o's EVs were in error; I meant to say he has 252 Attack and 252 Defense, originally intended as a counterpart to the SpA and SpD of Primarina.

Hey, first of all welcome (back) to the forums :)
The International Competitions are all in the current VGC ruleset, which you can read up about here. Battle Spot doubles has a different banlist, allowing Mega Pokémon and Pokémon transferred through Bank with the Gen6 Pentagon Symbol, while VGC only allows pokemon found in the Alola National Dex. There's a whole section for VGC on this site too, including Viability rankings, a teambuilding forum and even a thread for the IC, which probably can aid you in your teambuilding (better than me at least :D).

I'm not a good doubles player, maybe someone else is better in helping out with the details (as the post above); a major thing that dominates in doubles/VGC is speed control though, which means most teams run attacks like Trick Room and Tailwind as well as attacks like Follow Me, Icy Wind etc. or countermeasures against these to get the momentum/advantage in the battle, so an option against those strategies, be it Taunt or your own Tailwind/Trick Room to at least not let them get the speed advantage or cancel out TR, would be very recommended. You could probably utilise Trick Room yourself, seeing that you added a bunch of pretty slow bulky pokemon already; the best setter is probably Porygon2, which can also deal with a lot of other things besides just setting up TR.
Your team currently lacks any option to deal with such setups, which probably means it would easily get defeated by a decently-played Team that has some sort of speed control.
Thanks for the welcome! And thank you for clearing up what ruleset to use, I had presumed IC used Battle Spot rules since it's conducted through it. I'll be sure to check out those forums next!

I see why Trick Room/speed control is prominent, but why is Porygon2 preferred over Porygon-Z? Eviolite access, presumably?

It's one of the most bulky pokemon, while Porygon-Z is more offensively oriented - but there are quite a few pokemon that do the offensive job better; the defensive utility of Eviolite Porygon2 is just way more beneficial to a lot of teams because there are very few to none pokemon that can fit the same role as Porygon2 in a similarily effective way, and additionally all abilities, while each kinda working in different situations, give it a pretty useful offensive presence too. Porygon-Z on the other hand faces competition as offensive special attacker, while lacking the defensive utility P2 has. (Porygon2 is also slower, benefitting itself from Trick Room once set up)
The other common Trick Room option in VGC atm is Oranguru, which is not as bulky, but with its signature move Instruct, which lets the target use its attack twice in one round, it can seriously trouble opponents with the huge doulbed damage output of its sweeper-partners (one of the most popular combinations is probably Eruption Drought Torkoal + TR Oranguru, but there are many more examples out there on how it can be used effectively).

Ah, that's some good advice with Primarina's Hp. I never would have thought of that, thanks!! How exactly did you calculate that? Through the damage calculator here on Smogon, I assume? (I might reconsider the Def on Kommo-o and Vikavolt too...)
It's nothing fancy, really. You just mutiply the Defensive Stat in question by the HP stat and you get a crude idea of how bulky it is. Primarina, for example, at lvl 50 has 187/94/137 bulk with 252 HP/4 SPD EVs. With your spread it has 155/95/168. So, if I were to compare its physical bulk between both sets I'd multiply its HP by its Def in both sets (187 x 94 = 17.578 for the 1st set and 155 x 94 = 14.570 for the 2nd ) and then calculate the difference between both products in %. In this case, from 14.570 to 17.578 there was an increase of roughly 17% meaning that the 1st spread is roughly 17% physically bulkier than the second. It's a really crude result though, and only meant to give you a general idea.

Hi!
Just reached the 1690-1710 points in the ranked battle spot singles using this team :

Suicune(Rocky Helmet)
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Roar/Reflect
- Mirror Coat

The most consistent poke for me so far , very solid against the most common physical attackers while also getting a few surprise KOs with Mirror Coat on heavy spA hitters especially Tapu Lele

Excadrill(Assault Vest)
Ability : Mold Breaker
Level : 50
EVs : 252 attack / 252 Spe / 4 SpD
Jolly Nature
-Earthquake
-Iron Head
-Rock Slide
-Horn Drill

Just the last few days had this poke scarfed but gave assault vest in favor of equipping Chandelure(will mention below) the choice scarf. So far it has been a great help. Assault Vest surprised a lot of players thinking Exca would be scarfed while resisting a few supper effective special hits.

Chandelure(Choice Scarf)
Ability : Infiltrator
EVs : 252 spA / 252 Spe / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
- Fire Blast
- Energy Ball
- Shadow Ball
- Hp Ice

It is mostly a replacement(have only been using for the last 2-3 days) pokemon for Volcarona which I plan to use next week. Average to decent work getting some KOs mostly on Aurora Veil based teams or substituted pokemon like Celesteela.

Thundurus-T(Life Orb)
Ability : Volt Absorb
EVs : 252 spA / 252 spe / 4 SpD
Timid Nature
-Volt Switch
-Thunderbolt
-Sludge Wave
-Hp Ice

I should replace his items or change the moves since I feel like I am not using his capabilities in full, not that it's doing bad work actually combined with Suicune it's pretty cool and all. Looking forward the most from experienced players advice/suggestions on this poke.

Venusaur(Venusaurite)
Ability : Chlorophyll
EVs : 252 SpA / 252 Hp / 4 Spe
Modest Nature
- Synthesis
- Sludge Bomb
- Giga Drain
- Hp Fire

The standard bulky offensive Mega Venusaur. A very good poke especially against Spore Breloom(I have encountered him a lot these days)

Dragonite(Flynium Z)
Ability : Multiscale
EVs : 252 attack / 252 Spe / 4 Def
Adamant Nature
-Fly
-Outrage
-Dragon Dance
-Extreme Speed

The least used poke on my team. Never find the right time or place with Dragonite to be honest.

I have been thinking of replacing Venusaur and Dragonite with MegaMence and Ferrothorn(leaning more on a mixed or special wall for Ferro) when I start using Volcarona.
I have started playing ranked more seriously only now on Sun/Moon so a rookie when it comes to team building. Any help or suggestion on what to change/add to improve my team would be awesome. Looking forward to your thoughts and thanks in advance :)

I'm trying to make a battle spot team, but I suck royally at it. Winning 40% currently. It *needs* to have no legendaries.

Salamence (M) @ Salamencite
EVs: 252 Atk / 6 Def / 252 Spe
Ability: Intimidate
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Claw
- Double-Edge
- Dragon Dance
- Earthquake

Hydreigon (M) @ Choice Scarf
IVs: 24 Atk
EVs: 252 SpA / 6 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Focus Blast
- Dark Pulse
- Fire Blast

Aegislash (M) @ Leftovers
Quiet Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Sacred Sword
- King’s Shield
- Shadow Sneak

Blaziken (M) @ Fightinium-Z
IVs: 26 SpA
Ability: Speed Boost
Adamant Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Baton Pass
- Protect
- High Jump Kick

Mimikyu (M) @ Life Orb
IVs: 19 SpA
EVs: 6 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Ability: Disguise
Adamant Nature
- Shadow Sneak
- Shadow Claw
- Play Rough
- Swords Dance

Cloyster (M) @ Focus Sash
IVs: 17 SpA
Ability: Skill Link
Adamant Nature
- Shell Smash
- Ice Shard
- Rock Blast
- Icicle Spear

I have figured out Hydreigon is worthless. I just went with it at first because I noticed I had five physical attackers. Mimikyu usually pulls his weight. Aegislash seems to either win or get killed in two moves. Cloyster gets demolished to anything with priority, and does zero damage to lucario. I tried BP Blaziken for the hell of it, but all it does it die when fire + fighting doesn't cover. Salamence usually just dies.

Trying to build something with mega Salamence. This team is beyond worthless. Assault vest mamoswine with fissure didn't do anything but die in one hit when I tried it. The AV set has basically zero physical defence.

I'm trying to make a battle spot team, but I suck royally at it. Winning 40% currently. It *needs* to have no legendaries.

Salamence (M) @ Salamencite
Ability: Intimidate
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Claw
- Double-Edge
- Dragon Dance
- Earthquake

Hydreigon (M) @ Choice Scarf
IVs: 24 Atk
EVs: 252 SpA / 6 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Focus Blast
- Dark Pulse
- Fire Blast

Aegislash (M) @ Leftovers
Quiet Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Sacred Sword
- King’s Shield
- Shadow Sneak

Blaziken (M) @ Fightinium-Z
IVs: 26 SpA
Adamant Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Baton Pass
- Protect
- High Jump Kick

Mimikyu (M) @ Life Orb
IVs: 19 SpA
EVs: 6 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Ability: Disguise
Adamant Nature
- Shadow Sneak
- Shadow Claw
- Play Rough
- Swords Dance

Cloyster (M) @ Focus Sash
IVs: 17 SpA
Ability: Skill Link
Adamant Nature
- Shell Smash
- Ice Shard
- Rock Blast
- Icicle Spear

I have figured out Hydreigon is worthless. I just went with it at first because I noticed I had five physical attackers. Mimikyu usually pulls his weight. Aegislash seems to either win or get killed in two moves. Cloyster gets demolished to anything with priority, and does zero damage to lucario. I tried BP Blaziken for the hell of it, but all it does it die when fire + fighting doesn't cover. Salamence usually just dies.

Trying to build something with mega Salamence. This team is beyond worthless. Assault vest mamoswine with fissure didn't do anything but die in one hit when I tried it. The AV set has basically zero physical defence.
If the team needs to have no legendaries on it then you're already putting yourself at a fairly big disadvantage. You sure there's no way you can get legendaries (giveaways, SRing them in your own copy of the game) or are you just adamant when it comes to not using them? If it's the latter than you definitely need to decide if you're in it to win it or if you're just playing for fun.

As for your team:

I'd probably drop Dragon Claw in favour of Roost or Substitute on Salamence. Dragon Claw doesn't really cover anything too notable that Double-Edge + Earthquake doesn't already hit. Not sure on what Hydreigon is trying to revenge kill here with a scarf if most of the things it does revenge pretty well can be revenged by Cloyster as well, so I'd consider taking it out completely in place for something that's bulkier and can switch into electric moves like Hippowdon. Preferably with a set like this:

Hippowdon @ Rocky Helmet / Sitrus Berry
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Yawn
- Stealth Rock
- Rock Tomb / Slack Off / Whirlwind

Aegislash looks fine to me on that team; it's your only somewhat safe Tapu Lele switch in. I'd recommend using this set over the one you have there as this one manages to beat the bulky walls that Mega Salamence hates:

Aegislash @ Leftovers
EVs: 204 HP / 164 SpA / 140 Spe
Modest Nature
- Substitute
- Toxic
- Shadow Ball
- King's Shield

Blaziken set looks fine, you might want to run a mixed set on it though since your team is heavily inclined on the physical side as of now. Try this one out:

Blaziken @ Life Orb
EVs: 52 Atk / 244 SpA / 212 Spe
Naive Nature
- Overheat
- Hidden Power Ice
- Superpower
- Protect

Not sure if I'm an avid fan of Mimi on that team with Aegi also being there and you having basically 5 physical attackers, but I do understand that you need a fairy type. A Tapu like Tapu Koko or Tapu Lele would fit in here very nicely, but since you want no legendaries, you'll probably want to run something else like Rotom-Wash (Thundurus-Therian would be good here too as well) to beat water-types effectively. I'd give this set a spin for Rotom-Wash:

Rotom-Wash @ Choice Specs
Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Trick / Hidden Power Ice

Cloyster is fine on that team, you're definitely using it wrong if it's setting up while things like Lucario and strong priority moves are still around in a match.

Hulavuta

keeps the varmints on the run
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

Statements like these make me think that maybe your issue is the actual playing and decision-making, rather than your team. All the Pokemon you listed are good, it seems like you're just not putting your Pokemon in the situations they want to be in and want them to do things they're really not meant to do. Maybe it would be more helpful to look at that instead, through replays.

Aside from that, as GateCreeper mentioned, we're not really in the business of catering to arbitrary restrictions, especially something like "no legendaries" when legendaries are perfectly legal and fair in this format. If you'd like help, we ask that you be open-minded about it. If the problem is actually getting the legendaries in your game, we can direct you to people who will be happy to legally give you some.

The no legendaries thing seems pretty silly, especially considering most of your pokemon are over 600+ BST, and only a few legendaries allowed in the battle spot even reach that amount.

Alright, as of now I am using this team.

Hippowdon @ Aguav Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 132 Def / 120 SpD
Impish Nature
- Yawn
- Stealth Rock
- Slack Off
- Whirlwind

Charizard @ Charizardite Y
Ability: Solar Power
Timid Nature
- Solar Beam
- Flamethrower
- Roost
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Tapu Lele @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Moonblast
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Thunderbolt

They got a pretty nice synergy but I think they struggle against Ice teams. Hippo and Charizard die easily to Ice teams such as Alola-Ninetales or Sash Cloyster.

What would you guys change? Is the team great the way it is?

And, what team have you been using that has given you pretty cool results?

Peace

Alright, as of now I am using this team.

Hippowdon @ Aguav Berry
Impish Nature
- Yawn
- Stealth Rock
- Slack Off
- Whirlwind

Timid Nature
- Solar Beam
- Flamethrower
- Roost
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Tapu Lele @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Moonblast
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Thunderbolt

They got a pretty nice synergy but I think they struggle against Ice teams. Hippo and Charizard die easily to Ice teams such as Alola-Ninetales or Sash Cloyster.

What would you guys change? Is the team great the way it is?

And, what team have you been using that has given you pretty cool results?

Peace
That Hippo needs an attack, you should replace Slack Off with Earthquake or at least Rock Tomb, otherwise you'd be TOTALLY walled by Heatran.

Adding Greninja could help vs threats such as Garchomp, Landorus, obviously Heatran, and such. Breloom or Tapu Bulu to complete the fire-grass-water core. Even a Choice Scarf on Lele could work pretty fine to have more speed control, since Charizard is not that fast.

I would go with Scarf Lele, Life Orb Greninja, and Focus Sash Breloom.

@ Life Orb / Focus Sash / Choice Scarf
Ability: Protean
EVs: 20 Atk / 236 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Ice Beam
- Dark Pulse
- Gunk Shot
- Hydro Pump / Low Kick / Rock Slide

@ Focus Sash / Choice Scarf
Ability: Technician
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant/Jolly Nature
- Spore / Superpower / Stone Edge
- Mach Punch / Superpower
- Bullet Seed
- Rock Tomb / Stone Edge

or

@ Choice Band / Grassium-Z / Rockium-Z / Choice Scarf / Leftovers
Ability: Grassy Surge
EVs: 4 Hp / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly/Adamant Nature
- Wood Hammer
- Stone Edge
- Nature Madness / Leech Seed
- Superpower / Substitute / Horn Leech

Last edited:
Hi, first time poster, long time looker here :-)

I am hoping you can help me with my battle spot doubles team. I am trying to find good 6th member of my team, with no luck. My team is: (sorry, don´t know how to post those little pictures)

Giovanni
Kngaskhan@Kangaskhanite
Scrappy
Jolly
252 Attack, 252 Speed, 4 HP
- Fake out
- Protect
- Return
- Crunch

Core member of my team, that scrappy Fake out helps a lot against ghosts. I decided to go with Crunch, because he was walled by ghosts, who just will-o-wisped her and used non attacking moves. Protect is there to shield against an attack and helped a lot. I mean a lot. I use Return over Double edge because I don´t like the recoil damage. Oh, Foand I named him Giovanni, because Kanga was his signature pokemon in R/B.

Breloom@Focus Sash
Technician
Jolly
- Spore
- Mach Punch
- Bullet Seed
- Protect

One of the most usefull poke on my team. Yes, I need to be wary of Koko/Fini, when I am trying to Spore something, but they are not as common as in VGC battles. And he can deal with them. Thanks to Focus sash, he can survive a hit and proceed to KO Koko with Bullet Seed. Hits like a truck too. His main niche is putting things to sleep and thus mainly stop Trick room. Bullet Seed also breaks Mimikyus Disguise and deals a good damage. And did I mentioned that Mach Punch OHKOs every not super bulky TTar?

Guardian
Bisharp@Life orb
Defiant
Jolly
- Sucker Punch
- Knock Off
- Iron Head
- Protect

Bisharp is a godsend. He won me so many battles I can´t even count. Definitely one of the most useful member of my team. I picked Jolly over Adamant, because in ORAS meta I was guaranteed to outspeed all Sylveons (bar Scarf, of course). And the added speed is certainly useful even now. He is very frail tough. Just yesterday, he was KOed by Inferno Overdrive from Heatran. Through Protect. Outside of Sun. And is true that the trio of Giovanni, Breloom and Guardian goes into almost every battle. The fourth member differs depending on the team preview. It could be either

Zapdos@Leftovers
Static
Modest
252 HP, 252 Sp Attack, 4 Defense
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power (Ice)
- Heat Wave
- Roost

My bulky offensive Zapdos. I maximised his HP for maximum bulk (and it paid off many times), max Special Attack allows it to hit like a truck. No Tailwind, because I can´t forego any of the moves. Lefties are there for recovery, and again, it saved my skin (and battle) on more than one occasion. So, I usually go with Zapdos, my other choice (and my last poke) is

Dream
Latios@Draconium Z
Timid
252 Sp Attack, 252 Speed, 4 HP
-Draco Meteor
-Psychic
-Ice Beam
-Thunderbolt

My most prized poke, as I love Lati@s. He is from the Eon ticket event (as I have Alpha Sapphire), and his IVs are (not Hyper Trained) 31/29/31/31/31/31. And Timid Synchronizer worked too! His sister, Latias, is shiny. I soft reseted for good IVs, when shiny pops out! And her nature? Timit too! Yep, those are lucky twins :-) I named Latios Dream because of the writing on the pillar on Eon Island, where you catch him: "Dreams are but another reality, never forget". Anyway, what does my pride and joy in battle? Well, Devastating drake hits like a truck, OHKOing almost anything that doesn´t resist or isn´t a super wall (I am looking at you, Porygon2!). Again, the moveset is from ORAS, where Soul Dew was banned so he was wearing a Choice Specs. I am contemplating of changing T-bolt to Protect, but I am not sure, as it is usefull against Heatran and Fini. As for the item, I use it for one-time nuke, as it is absurdly powerfull. It does struggle tough against Tapus, especially Koko and Lele.

My strategy with this team is usually to lead with Giovanni and either Breloom or Dream. Giovanni Fake Outs and Breloom either puts one of the enemys to sleep (or Bullet Seeds them, depending on the team), or Giovanni just nukes them. Bisharp and Zapdos are usually in the wings, as Zapdos makes good switch-in, and Bisharp just kos the rest with Sucker Punches. I peaked at 1795 with those five, but I am still searching for the 6th member. I am contemplating Sylveon or some bulky water like Milotic or Suicune. So far I tried offensive Arcanine (somewhat useful) and Porygon 2 (not usefull at all)

I can´t use Koko, Lele or Fini, because they block either sleep or priority, which is something my team relies on. Also, my Nihilego doesn´t have HP Ice. I have only Sun version, so, Pheromosa and Celesteela are out of the question.

So, any suggestions for my team?

I am building a team and I need my third member.

Right now I have Hippowdon and Charizard Y

Hippowdon @ Aguav Berry
Impish Nature
- Yawn
- Stealth Rock
- Slack Off
- Earthquake

Timid Nature
- Solar Beam
- Flamethrower
- Roost
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Any suggestions? I think I should look for a water type since Charyzard and Hippo cover themselves pretty well against pretty much everything except Water

Hulavuta

keeps the varmints on the run
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Jogama, you should aim to have 6 Pokemon on your team, not 3. If your opponent sees that you only have 3 Pokemon at team preview, they're going to have an easy time countering you.

I am working on a doubles trick room team for battle spot, I have a modest dramp with it missing it's speed iv, what kind of ev spread should I use?
I was thinking
Drampa Leftovers
Ability: berserk
- dragon pulse
- roost
- hyper voice
- extrasensory

Also what would be some good pokes to use with drampa or just ideas for team members?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)