OU Smeargle

Eclipse

Like a chimp with a machine gun
is a Contributor Alumnus

QC: Colonel M / PK Gaming / Hootie
GP: P Squared / Fireflame479

[OVERVIEW]

Smeargle carves a notable niche in the OU metagame by being the fastest setter of both Sticky Web and Stealth Rock in the tier. It has access to nearly every move in the entire game, which allows it to serve as a great support Pokemon and suicide lead for offensive teams, although its very poor offensive stats and bulk don't allow Smeargle to do to much with its expansive movepool. Also, Smeargle's low Speed hurts it as a suicide lead, making it susceptible to faster Taunt users such as Heatran, Tapu Lele, and Azelf if it is not running Magic Coat.

[SET]
name: Hazard Lead
move 1: Sticky Web
move 2: Stealth Rock
move 3: Skill Swap
move 4: Taunt / Memento
item: Focus Sash
ability: Own Tempo
nature: Timid
evs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Sticky Web is Smeargle's main niche and primary move on this set, as it reduces a grounded foe's Speed by one stage, which is useful for wallbreakers on the team to take advantage of. Stealth Rock helps wear down the enemy team, which is useful for teammates to punch holes in opposing teams more easily. Skill Swap lets Smeargle take on Mega Sableye and set up Stealth Rock against stall builds so that its partners can take better advantage of threats on stall such as Chansey, and it can also take useful abilities from specific threats, such as Sturdy from Skarmory, which a teammate can take advantage of if Smeargle is running Memento. Taunt allows Smeargle to handle slower Stealth Rock setters and Defoggers attempting to get rid of Smeargle's entry hazards such as Tapu Fini, Zapdos, and Skarmory. Memento lowers the foe's offensive stats by 2, which allows a partner such as Swords Dance Mimikyu to come in on a weakened foe and start setting up at the cost of Smeargle itself. Magic Coat is another option similar to Taunt that lets Smeargle take on faster Stealth Rock and Taunt users by bouncing their hazards or Taunt back. Explosion allows Smeargle to retain momentum after setting up hazards by getting around potential Defog or Rapid Spin users and gives one of its teammates a free switch in.

Set Details
========

Maximum Speed investment with a Timid nature is used so Smeargle outspeeds threats up to Jolly Bisharp and Jolly Breloom and Speed ties with Jolly Tapu Bulu, while maximum HP investment is used for some extra bulk. However, if Smeargle is running Explosion, you may use a spread of 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe with a Jolly nature instead if you desire extra power on Explosion. Own Tempo is the only ability Smeargle can get some minor use out of, allowing it to avoid confusion from the likes of Tornadus-T's Hurricane or the rare Swagger. Focus Sash lets Smeargle take one hit and guarantees that it will get up one set of entry hazards.

Usage Tips
========

Smeargle should nearly always be led with in order to set up entry hazards, except against specific leads such as Taunt Tapu Koko that can take advantage of a Smeargle lead and gain momentum off of it. If there is a Magic Bounce user on the opposing team such as Mega Sableye, try to predict what the opponent will do against Smeargle. For example, Sableye may not Mega Evolve, in which case Smeargle gains Prankster when using Skill Swap and cannot use Taunt or Memento against Mega Sableye due to it being a Dark-type. Also, try to avoid leading against faster Pokemon that may carry Taunt such as Heatran and Azelf, since they will prevent Smeargle from setting up any hazards. Make sure to always look at the enemy team and think about what type of hazard is more beneficial to set up first, since Smeargle may not get the opportunity to set up both hazards in a game. Since the Sticky Web strategy is primarily based around supporting Smeargle's teammates with the momentum that Sticky Web brings, prioritize setting it up over Stealth Rock if a wincon on Smeargle's team needs an opposing threat slowed down in order to sweep. Dragon Dance Salamence, for example, greatly benefits from Sticky Web slowing down opposing Choice Scarf Garchomp, so prioritize setting up Sticky Web in these sorts of matchups. On the other hand, setting up Sticky Web against teams with numerous slower threats or against teams with a number of Ground-immune Pokemon is probably not as beneficial as setting up Stealth Rock. If a slower Stealth Rock or Defog user is lead against Smeargle, using Taunt against them is a good idea so that they cannot set up hazards against Smeargle or Defog the ones that it set up already. Also, beware of opposing Defiant users like Bisharp that can take advantage of Sticky Web and threaten Smeargle's team with its strong +2 hits.

Team Options
========

Wallbreakers that appreciate either Sticky Web or Stealth Rock support greatly benefit from having Smeargle as a teammate. Mega Metagross appreciates being faster than attackers such as Tapu Koko, Greninja, non-Choice Scarf Pheromosa, and Choice Scarf Garchomp if Sticky Web is up. There are many other teammates that benefit from Sticky Web, such as Xurkitree, Swords Dance Kartana, Gengar, Porygon-Z, and Tapu Bulu. Other slower wallbreakers such as Hoopa-U, non-Choice Scarf Tapu Lele, and Kyurem-B like Sticky Web support as well as Stealth Rock support. Greninja and Ash-Greninja both serve great roles on Sticky Web teams; both can outspeed the majority of Choice Scarf users and non-Choice Scarf Tapu Koko and Pheromosa, allowing them to perform excellently against many offensive builds that rely on these fast grounded threats. Protean Greninja, in particular, has a great matchup against common entry hazard removers such as Tapu Fini, making it harder for the opponent to get rid of hazards. Partners that can deter the enemy team from getting rid of hazards, such as Defiant users like Thundurus and Bisharp, or spinblockers like Mimikyu and Gengar that can take on Rapid Spin Pheromosa, can assist Smeargle; they also benefit from the effects of Sticky Web on the opposing team. If you wish to combat opposing hazard stacking, you can choose to run a Rapid Spin user such as Pheromosa or Choice Scarf Excadrill so you can remove hazards just from your side of the field. Defog is not recommended on teams that Smeargle is on for this reason, although this is not required on the offensive builds Smeargle finds itself on. Having partners that lead well against opposing hazard leads or Mega Sableye is very beneficial so that you do not lose momentum against stall or opposing offense builds if Sticky Web is not being used; Taunt Tapu Koko and Tapu Lele perform these roles very well. In addition to helping against opposing hazard setters, faster Taunt users also help against hazard removers; Tornadus-T, Tapu Koko, Gyarados, Gengar, Mega Alakazam, and Pheromosa are all fast Taunt users that can retain momentum for Smeargle's teammates.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Spikes can be run in place of Stealth Rock, although this will require you to run another Stealth Rock user on your team. Spore can be used to put the foe to sleep so Smeargle can get up more entry hazards, but you should beware Misty Terrain or Electric Terrain being on the field, which prevents Spore from working. Encore allows Smeargle to take advantage of an enemy setting up hazards or using a status move so that it can set up Sticky Web and Stealth Rock and then use Explosion or Memento. Nuzzle allows Smeargle to paralyze an enemy for partners to take advantage of, and it is not affected by Taunt due to being an offensive move. Endeavor can bring the foe down to 1 HP after using up Smeargle's Focus Sash, but Smeargle is strapped for moveslots as it is. Baton Pass allows Smeargle to safely switch into a teammate while preserving it as fodder later on in a match. Mental Herb may seem like a good option to take on Taunt users better; however, Shuckle uses this item better due to Sturdy, and losing Focus Sash means Smeargle now has issues setting up hazards against many threats due to its very poor bulk.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Mega Sableye**: Although it must watch out for Skill Swap, Mega Sableye can easily prevent Smeargle from setting up entry hazards and can lead against it with ease due to Magic Bounce making it immune to Taunt.

**Faster Taunt Users**: Faster Taunt users like Azelf, Heatran, and Tapu Koko can lead against Smeargle with ease and prevent it from setting up hazards, and Azelf and Heatran can set up their own Stealth Rock. Heatran is also a notable threat because it can break Smeargle's Focus Sash and take it down in one turn due to Magma Storm.

**Hazard Removers**: Opposing hazard removers such as Tapu Fini, Rapid Spin Pheromosa, Latios, Zapdos, and Skarmory can serve as huge threats to Sticky Web teams by removing Smeargle's entry hazards and therefore removing the effect it has on the battle. Latios, Zapdos, and Skarmory are notable because they are all immune to Sticky Web. Defog Kartana is immune to Spore due to its Grass typing. Focus Sash Excadrill can set up Stealth Rock against Smeargle and Rapid Spin away any hazards that were set against it.

Last edited:
You should absolutely mention Lead Excadrill in here, it's a relatively common lead and it can bring Smeargle to sash then spin kill it unless you make a ballsy ghost switch-in. It takes nothing from explosion too, so you need Spore to accomplish anything at all (and even then you need to get lucky with sleep turns).

It might also be worth mentioning that explosion OHKOs Pheromosa.

I think the slashes should be different but I'm not sure how entirely. I feel like Taunt should be slashed with Explosion as their primary purpose is preventing Tapu Fini from defogging. Magic Coat + Spore doesn't accomplish that. Although Taunt Explosion is an okay combo too, Spore is also really hard to pass up. I'm not sure if Magic Coat is consistent enough to warrant its own moveslot. But someone who has used this more than me can say that.

Eclipse

is a Contributor Alumnus
The slashes were absolutely something I didn't feel too confident about, but I was gonna wait to see what others would suggest regarding it. I think Magic Coat is pretty nice, especially being able to antilead Azelf and Tran, but I would have no issue with bumping it down to OO. I'll wait for QC to see what to change about the slashes, but I'll add Lead Exca mention

I've used Taunt on Smeargle multiple times and I've always missed Magic Coat. Not only does Magic Coat screw with faster Taunt users, but it gives you the upper edge against faster Stealth Rock users such as Landorus-T, Garchomp, Mamoswine, Azelf, Heatran, and Metagross as you can get both hazards while having the ability to click Explosion or keep Smeargle as sack fodder later in the game.

Explosion should be slashed with Memento if anything, not Spore on Smeargle. Speaking of it, Memento is nice and all, but the Magic Coat strategy might not always work so you might as well have security. Explosion also breaks Focus Sash while providing chip damage for teammates. Spore is a move that is good in theory, but not very good in practice.

There is no reason to run Spikes on this Pokemon unless you have like lol Double Defiant + Spinblocker in the back. I would keep it in Other Options. I would put Baton Pass in Other Options not due to the idea of stat passing but a free switch-in into a teammate while preserving Smeargle as sack fodder for later in the game makes it a pretty good niche option if you don't want to use Explosion or Memento.

It seems like I criticized a lot, but I did not really change much. For reference:

[SET]
name: Suicide Lead
move 3: Magic Coat
move 4: Explosion / Memento
nature: Jolly
evs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
  • Taunt in Moves

CTRL + F into Kartana
- Phrase not found.

Otherwise, this analysis is fire. Good work man.

AM

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
LCPL Champion
Moves
========

Ive never found a huge necessity for Spore although in some applications its obviously useful. I also never used Magic Coat much but again, subject to the team mostly. Spore seems like more OO to me personally. In the point about running Spikes, stress that running Stealth Rock on another member hinders the offensive potential of teams Smeargle is used on, wasting resources that can maximize momentum and offensive output.

Usage Tips
========

If there is a Magic Bounce user on the opposing team such as Mega Sableye, it is wise not to lead with Smeargle as it will not be able to set up hazards against it without Skill Swap.
Mention that not only is it unwise to lead Smeargle, it's also unwise to try utilizing it against these stalls teams. Smeargle can be delegated to Memento / Fodder against these matchups, against your standard stall its deadweight outside of the mentioned specific quality.
Always look at the enemy team and think about what type of hazard is more beneficial to set up first since Smeargle may not get the opportunity to set up both hazards in a game.
For example, setting up Sticky Web against teams with numerous slower threats or against teams with a number of ground immunities is probably not as beneficial compared to setting up Stealth Rock.
You need to put emphasis somewhere in here that a Webs team is designed to improve the effectiveness of its partners, not just hinder the opposing team. What I mean by this as an example, if you see a Pheromosa in front of you, and your win condition is M-Gyarados sweep, you need to set the hazard to facilitate this future action. Prioritize the benefits for your team first, if that makes sense.

Team Options
========
Ash Greninja should be here in team options as well. Different functions between the two Ninja variants and should emphasize on that. Tapu Bulu as well.
Having partners which can deter the enemy team from getting rid of hazards, such as Defiant users like Bisharp, or spinblockers like Mimikyu and Gengar which can take on Rapid Spin Pheromosa, can assist Smeargle and its team in keeping up hazards; these partners also are benefitted from the effects of Sticky Web on the opposing team.
Same deal, Thundurus > Bisharp. Bisharp is fine in these mentions under the Defiant trait but don't miss out on Thundurus either.
To avoid opposing hazard stack, you can choose to run a Rapid Spin user such as Pheromosa so that you can remove hazards from your side of the field without removing the hazards that you set up on the opponent's side of the field which is why Defog is not recommended on teams that Smeargle is on.
Scarf Exca is fine here as well under the Rapid Spin role.

Other Options should be reworded to include Vertex's points, such as this line.
Memento is an option which can be used in place of Explosion; this allows a partner such as Swords Dance Mimikyu to come in on a weakened opponent and start setting up.
Memento is a lot more than OO. These teams are very fast paced and the tide of the game is created / decided within the first 10 or so turns mostly.
**Hazard Removers**: Opposing hazard removers such as Tapu Fini, Rapid Spin Pheromosa, and Latios can serve as huge threats to Sticky Web teams, removing Smeargle's entry hazards and therefore removing the effect it had on the battle. Latios is notable since it is also immune to Sticky Web. Focus Sash Excadrill is a notable example since it can set up Stealth Rock against Smeargle and Rapid Spin away any hazards that were set against it.
Zapdos and Skarmory to. Give Kartana a mention. It's pretty much the #1 block to Smeargle because it can't be Spored unlike the other removers barring Fini due to typing.

SR, Webs, Memento / Explosion is the only necessities to me on Smeargle (I like Memento more personally but I get the Explosion merit). After that QC can decide. Nice job.

Edit: Ctrl + F: encore 0 results

Last edited:
I would put Baton Pass in Other Options not due to the idea of stat passing but a free switch-in into a teammate while preserving Smeargle as sack fodder for later in the game makes it a pretty good niche option if you don't want to use Explosion or Memento.
I'm not really sure why you wouldn't use U-turn instead as it can break sashes. Or even better, Parting Shot.

Thundurus is a much better example here. It sits at a speed tier that can threaten lots of mons utilized on Web teams a bit more effectively, kartana for example, and Bisharp is borderline irrelevant.
But.... Thundurus is not affected by Sticky Web. So it isn't getting an Attack boost at all. Am I missing something here? It's still threatening enough because it doesn't get a speed drop, but the Defiant part makes no sense.

Bisharp and Thundurus are both great partners imo. They can both chunk the two most common mons immune to Sticky Web, Landorus-T and Metagross (Clear Body) in the right situations. It might be worth mentioning partners that can deal with common Pokemon unaffected by Sticky Web, as I found Mega Metagross difficult to deal with in my experience.

If you're playing against stall and you have Bisharp on your team, you can purposely bounce back Sticky Web so that your Bisharp gets a free attack boost while not really caring about the speed drop cause it's stall. I have no idea if this fits anywhere in an analysis.

And is Kartana really a defogger worth mentioning? It's not a particularly common or good defogger.

AM

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
LCPL Champion
But.... Thundurus is not affected by Sticky Web. So it isn't getting an Attack boost at all. Am I missing something here? It's still threatening enough because it doesn't get a speed drop, but the Defiant part makes no sense.

Bisharp and Thundurus are both great partners imo. They can both chunk the two most common mons immune to Sticky Web, Landorus-T and Metagross (Clear Body) in the right situations. It might be worth mentioning partners that can deal with common Pokemon unaffected by Sticky Web, as I found Mega Metagross difficult to deal with in my experience.

If you're playing against stall and you have Bisharp on your team, you can purposely bounce back Sticky Web so that your Bisharp gets a free attack boost while not really caring about the speed drop cause it's stall. I have no idea if this fits anywhere in an analysis.

And is Kartana really a defogger worth mentioning? It's not a particularly common or good defogger.
Bisharp isn't beating stall when both Skarmory, Quagsire, or both will be utilized on these stalls to slow it down. Unless you're facing a dumb stall player this isn't realistically happening.

Yes. I think people threw the stigma of it not being a good remover just to say it isn't, and that hivemind fostered to what it is now.

The Thundurus part I read wrong. Ignore.

Last edited:

Shurtugal

The Enterpriser.
is a Tiering Contributor
Mention Nuzzle as an option over spore as it hits through taunt / electric terrain / grass people often throw at smeargle to prevent spore.

Mention how tapu fini is the biggest pokemom webs needs to remove as most other defoggers such as skarmory aren't seen on the offensive teams you would need webs for & how any lure like z poison mosa z grass heatran z poison Buzzwole etc. are really good at removing fini so the team and can push on through offense. Mention how explosion damage puts fini into ko range for sludge gengar and other various lure things like z poison mosa / whatever fini lure you run

yo CrystalRam

Decided to give this whole analysis a read because I'm mad idol today with nothing to do.

I've used this a lot more and after doing extensive testing, Magic Coat or Taunt is not that great. It is hit or miss since you are playing 50/50s or making assumptions about team structure. Why is this bad? Without Smeargle, the rest of the team will often fall apart. You shouldn't be playing guessing games or taking risks with a Pokemon that is necessary for you to win the game. I often found myself not even leading with Smeargle because you can usually pull a double switch through offensive pressure or take advantage of passive mon to get hazards. The title "suicide lead" is not fitting as a result which makes me want to name it "sticky web."

Skill Swap is 10x better in the third slot because it can get Stealth Rock on Stall which you need if you don't want your stallbreakers getting defeated by Dugtrio. Skill Swap is also cool for removing Sturdy from Skarmory, important if you are using Memento > Explosion.

I feel like Skill Swap is 100% necessary for any consistent Smeargle team to thrive in this metagame. Nuzzle, Spore, Magic Coat, Taunt, Encore, Endeavor, and Spider Web are all cool options but they should only be used in tour play if you are a 100% sure your opponent won't bring stall.

With this, I propose this being the main set:

[SET]
name: Sticky Web
move 4: Explosion / Memento
nature: Jolly
evs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe

For Team Options, expand more on Taunt users. Gyarados, Gengar, Ash Greninja, Mega Alakazam, Mega Gyarados, Keldeo, and Pheromosa are some more Taunt users Sticky Web teams can use.

I would remove the bullet point about opposing hazard stack. Sticky Web HO has better things to do than prioritize Rapid Spin which is nothing but a luxury move if you are using Pheromosa on Sticky Web.

The first bullet point on wallbreakers should be expanded. Mega Metagross is the only example you gave but remember Sticky Web makes some Pokémon insanely stupid to play around. I mentioned Kartana in my original post. Choice Specs Nihilego, Xurkitree, Life Orb Hoopa, Gengar, Calm Mind + Z-Move Tapu Lele, Mega Pinsir, Kyurem-B, Off. SD Scizor, Porygon-Z, and even regular Choice Specs Kyurem are stupidly hard to check in Sticky Web while providing immediate wallbreaking or after a set up move.

Please remove Tapu Fini from Team Options.

The rest of this is good, especially the overview, c&c, and usage tips.

:]

Eclipse

is a Contributor Alumnus
Alright I took all of these suggestions into account and now we're ready for QC to take a look at it

mulgokizary

Banned deucer.
Why Explosion... all it does is deny you fodder that you can use for later in exchange for like 20% on Fini? Or whatever. If you save a 1% Smeargle for later and they get rocks, you get another free defog/spinblock.

I think that the last slot should be Taunt/Spore if anything... that actually helps you be proactive against spinners and/or defoggers. Taunt in particular beats the most popular defogger. You can also emphasize the importance of hazard control deterrents like Mimikyu and Bisharp in Team Options, because they're both great on Webs.

Magic Coat is still slashable with Skill Swap, probably should be the primary move. If you're playing stall with webs your ability to run powerful threats that are normally too slow to beat offense should mitigate your stall weakness. Xurkitree in particular is extremely efficient and doesn't really need rocks once you force Dugtrio's sash down if they're running the standard Quagsire-less stall team. I'd rather take Magic Coat to win against faster taunt/SR leads. It's more consistent.

Thanks for reading.

Last edited:
yes I would consider moving explosion to moves and making the 4th slot this: taunt / memento

spore is not good lol. obviously useful for putting something to bed but terrains and the fact that you have to give up skill swap, taunt, explosion, or memento means it's very niche and more of a move I'd bring to a tour game if anything

magic coat is often flawed in practice. i would never give up skill swap because the "sticky web can run things that shit on stall" is flawed due to dugtrio and you aren't breaking its sash since smeargle can't get up rocks on sableye wo skill swap. i am talking about consistency when i say skill swap is better. magic coat is still prediction reliant so don't forget that.

i do agree with you on the taunt point. definetly better than explosion which is why it sounds better in moves.

also sorry for all the changes that keep happening in my mind crystalram. just gonna say that you should test yourself as i personally think taunt / memento should be used in the last slot (explosion and spore in moves). go ahead and make the appropriate changes once you're ready bro

mulgokizary

Banned deucer.
Yea, Spore is poop, but I'd run it over Explosion or Memento. It can annoy stuff like lead Exca/Spin Phero/Lando. I've seen you laddering with Smeargle a lot and you've gotten decently high, so I'll defer to you on Magic Coat.

Last edited:

Eclipse

is a Contributor Alumnus
No need to worry about all the changes being made here, it's great that we're all having discussion on the best possible choice for Smeargle since there's just a shitton of options for it.

On Explosion:

Having messed with Explosion as my most common 4th move, I really do like the momentum it provides early game, however I do get where mulgokizary is coming from in terms of giving you additional sacks late game which is important given the insane offensive nature of Webs teams.

So I've been going in and testing a team with Taunt+Skill Swap, and I've been a huge fan of this combo. Skill Swap, the more I play with it, is just such a nice option to have as the momentum you get from setting up hazards vs stall is huge especially with Duggy no longer safely trapping my wallbreakers if its Sash is broken. While in most matchups vs. Offense I wish I had Explosion, the ease of which it puts you at against stall easily outweighs this, so I'm going to keep Skill Swap as the sole option in the 3rd slot.

While I like Magic Coat in terms of combating opposing HO, I will take Vertex's suggestion and make the 4th slot Taunt / Memento and throw Explosion in moves while keeping Magic Coat in OO. Since I believe now that Smeargle's first three slots are basically mandatory, having Taunt / Memento / Explosion is so much nicer since Swap+Coat doesn't really help me threaten out Defoggers and is basically a free "clear hazards, please" sign for the opposing team, making Magic Coat inferior to the other three moves in comparison. This is also the same deal with Spore, as being unable to deter Tapu Fini really sucks, so I'm keeping that in OO as well.

Keep making suggestions though guys, always appreciate seeing other people's viewpoints on the set

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Everything looks great outside of one sentence that kind of irked me a bit:
* If there is a Magic Bounce user on the opposing team such as Mega Sableye, it is wise not to lead with Smeargle as it will not be able to set up hazards against, unless you have Skill Swap, in which case you can swap Mega Sableye's Magic Bounce with Smeargle's Own Tempo and set up Stealth Rock, since Sticky Web is generally not useful against most stall builds.
Considering that you're using Smeargle with Skill Swap on this set, the entire sentence structure seems odd. There are a couple scenarios to talk about - such as how you can't use Taunt or Memento on Sableye if Sableye retains its normal form - Dark-types blocking Prankster Taunt and Memento being a minor reason. You still get hazards, though, so there's that. I would just recommend re-wording it.

Nothing really stood out of place since I think Explosion is good enough in Moves. Honestly as far as momentum people underrate Explosion. It's also nice because it guarantees denial of Rapid Spin and Defog from slower users - even if you have the option for fodder.

Good job otherwise. Everyone else covered everything else needed and you have everything wanted on the analysis.

1/3

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Minor nitpick, but base 75 Speed is far below middling. Smeargle is outright slow, imo.

In the team options of the first set, you should specify that Protean Greninja is a good partner, due to its ability to deal significant damage to common Defog users.

Otherwise

2/3

Really think Magic Coat isn't getting enough praise by sitting in other options. It's still really nice for stuff like fast Heatran and Tapu Fini, but it does make certain matchups harder (mostly vs Sableye), so bump it to a high mention in moves.

3/3

P Squared

a great unrecorded history
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
GP 1/1

[OVERVIEW]

* Smeargle is the fastest setter of both Sticky Web and Stealth Rock in the tier.
* It has access to nearly every move in the entire game, which allows it to serve as a great support Pokemon and suicide lead for offensive teams.
* Very poor offensive stats and bulk don't allow Smeargle to do to much with its expansive movepool.
* Slow Low Speed hurts Smeargle as a suicide lead, making it being susceptible to faster Taunt users such as Heatran, Tapu Lele, and Azelf if it Smeargle is not running Magic Coat.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

* Setting Sticky Web is Smeargle's main niche, letting it being able to set up hazards which reduce a grounded opponent's foe's Speed by one stage.
* Stealth Rock helps wear down the enemy team for wallbreakers being paired with Smeargle to take advantage of.
* Skill Swap allows lets Smeargle to take on Mega Sableye and set up Stealth Rock against stall builds so that its your partners can take better advantage of threats on stall such as Chansey. It can also take useful abilities from specific threats, (AC) such as Sturdy from Skarmory, (AC) which a teammate can take advantage of if Smeargle is running Memento.
* Taunt allows Smeargle to handle slower Stealth Rock setters and Defoggers attempting to get rid of Smeargle's hazards such as Tapu Fini, Zapdos, and Skarmory.
* Memento is an option that which can be used in place of Explosion; this allows a partner such as Swords Dance Mimikyu to come in on a weakened opponent foe and start setting up.
* Magic Coat is another option similar to Taunt that lets which allows Smeargle to take on faster Stealth Rock and Taunt users by bouncing their hazards or Taunt back at the opponent, allowing Smeargle to take advantage of them.
* Explosion allows Smeargle to retain momentum after having setting up hazards by getting around potential Defog or Rapid Spin users and gives one of its teammates a free switch in allows a free switchin for one of its partners.

Set Details
========

* Maximum Speed investment is used so that Smeargle outspeeds threats up to Jolly Bisharp, (RC) and Jolly Breloom, (RC) and allows it to Speed ties with Jolly Tapu Bulu.
* Maximum HP investment with a Timid nature is used for some extra bulk, but although if you are running Explosion, an EV spread of 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe with a Jolly nature may should (yes? or no) be used instead.
* Own Tempo is the only ability Smeargle can get use with some minor use out of, allowing it to avoid confusion from the likes of Tornadus-T's Hurricane or the rare Swagger.
* Focus Sash is the main item on this set, allowing lets it to take one hit and guarantees that it will get up one set of hazards.

Usage Tips
========

* Smeargle should nearly always be led with first in order to set up entry hazards, except against specific leads.
* If there is a Magic Bounce user on the opposing team such as Mega Sableye, try to predict what the Sableye user will do against Smeargle. For example, Sableye may not Mega Evolve, in which case Smeargle gains Prankster when using Skill Swap and cannot use Taunt or Memento against Mega Sableye due to it being a Dark-type.
* Also try to avoid leading against faster users (what users? hazard users? or Taunt users? if Taunt users just say "Pokemon" since you explain the Taunt stuff later.) that which may carry Taunt such as Heatran and Azelf, (AC) since they will prevent Smeargle from setting up any hazards.
* Always look at the enemy team and think about what type of hazard is more beneficial to set up first, (AC) since Smeargle may not get the opportunity to set up both hazards in a game.
* Since the Sticky Web strategy is primarily based around supporting allowing Smeargle's teammates to gain from with the momentum that Sticky Web brings, prioritize setting it up Sticky Web over Stealth Rock if both hazards cannot get set up if a wincon on Smeargle's team needs an opposing threat slowed down from Sticky Web in order to sweep. (AP) Dragon Dance Salamence, for example, greatly benefits from Sticky Web slowing down opposing Choice Scarf Garchomp, so prioritize setting up Sticky Web in these sorts of matchups.
* On the other hand For example, setting up Sticky Web against teams with numerous slower threats or against teams with a number of Ground-immune Pokemon ground immunities is probably not as beneficial as compared to setting up Stealth Rock.
* If a slower Stealth Rock or Defog user is lead against Smeargle, Taunting them so that you can set up hazards is a good idea so that they cannot set up hazards against you or Defog them ones that you set up away.
* Beware of opposing Defiant users like Bisharp, (AC) which can take advantage of Sticky Web and threaten Smeargle's team with its strong +2 Attack boosted hits.

Team Options
========

* Wallbreakers that appreciate either Sticky Web and or Stealth Rock support are greatly benefitted from having Smeargle's hazard support as a teammate. Such examples include Mega Metagross, which appreciates being faster than attackers such as Tapu Koko, Greninja, non-Choice Scarf Pheromosa, and Choice Scarf Garchomp if Sticky Web is up against the opposing team. There are many other teammates that benefit from Sticky Web, such as Xurkitree, Swords Dance Kartana, Gengar, Porygon-Z, and Tapu Bulu. Other slower wallbreakers such as Hoopa-Unbound, non-Choice Scarf Tapu Lele, and Kyurem-Black like Sticky Web support as well as Stealth Rock support.
* Greninja and Ash-Greninja both serve great roles on Sticky Web teams. Both can outspeed the majority of Choice Scarf users and can both outspeed non-Choice Scarf Tapu Koko and Pheromosa, allowing them to perform excellently against many offensive builds that rely on these fast grounded threats. Protean Greninja, in particular, has a great matchup against common hazard removers such as Tapu Fini, making it harder for the opponent to get rid of hazards on their side of the field.
* Having Partners that which can deter the enemy team from getting rid of hazards, such as Defiant users like Thundurus and Bisharp, (RC) or spinblockers like Mimikyu and Gengar that which can take on Rapid Spin Pheromosa, can assist Smeargle and its team in keeping up hazards; theyse partners also are benefitted from the effects of Sticky Web on the opposing team.
* If you wish to combat opposing hazard stacking, you can choose to run a Rapid Spin user such as Pheromosa or Choice Scarf Excadrill so that you can remove hazards just from your side of the field without removing the hazards that you set up on the opponent's side of the field which is why. (AP) Defog is not recommended on teams that Smeargle is on for this reason, although this is not required on the offensive builds Smeargle finds itself on.
* Having partners that which lead well against opposing hazard leads or Mega Sableye is very beneficial so that you do not lose momentum against stall or opposing offense builds; Taunt Tapu Koko and Tapu Lele perform these roles very well.
* In addition to helping against opposing hazard setters, faster Taunt users also help against hazard removers; Taunt Tornadus-T, Tapu Koko, Gyarados, Gengar, Mega Alakazam, and Pheromosa are all fast Taunt users that can retain momentum for Smeargle's teammates.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

* Spikes can also be run in place of Stealth Rock, although this will require you to run another Stealth Rock user on your team.
* Spore can be used to put the foe opponent to sleep so which allows Smeargle to can get up more hazards, although you should beware for Misty Terrain or Electric Terrain being on the field, (AC) which prevents Spore from working.
* Encore allows Smeargle take advantage of an enemy opponent setting up hazards or using setting up a status move in front of Smeargle so that it can set up Sticky Web and Stealth Rock and then eventually use Explosion or Memento.
* Nuzzle allows Smeargle to paralyze an enemy opponent for partners to take advantage of, and it is while not being affected by Taunt due to being an offensive move.
* Endeavor can bring the opponent foe down to 1 HP after using up its Smeargle's Focus Sash, but although as mentioned, Smeargle is strapped for moveslots as it is.
* Baton Pass allows Smeargle to safely switch into a teammate while preserving it Smeargle as fodder later on in a match.
* Mental Herb may seem like a good option to take on Taunt users better; however, although Shuckle uses this item better due to Sturdy, and losing Focus Sash means Smeargle now has issues setting up hazards against many threats due to its very poor bulk.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Mega Sableye**: Although it must watch out for Skill Swap, Mega Sableye can easily prevent Smeargle from setting up any sort of entry hazards and can lead against it with ease due to Magic Bounce making it being immune to Taunt because of Magic Bounce.

**Faster Taunt Users**: Faster Taunt users like Azelf, Heatran, and Tapu Koko can lead against Smeargle with ease and prevent it from setting up hazards, and while in the case of Azelf and Heatran, they can set up their own Stealth Rock. Heatran is also a notable threat because since it can break Smeargle's Focus Sash and take it down in one turn due to Magma Storm.

**Hazard Removers**: Opposing hazard removers such as Tapu Fini, Rapid Spin Pheromosa, Latios, Zapdos, and Skarmory can serve as huge threats to Sticky Web teams, removing Smeargle's entry hazards and therefore removing the effect it had has on the battle. Latios, Zapdos, and Skarmory is are notable because since they are all immune to Sticky Web. Defog Kartana is immune to Spore if Smeargle chooses to run it due to its Grass typing. Focus Sash Excadrill is a notable example, (AC) since it can set up Stealth Rock against Smeargle and Rapid Spin away any hazards that were set against it.

Last edited:

Eclipse

is a Contributor Alumnus
Yeah, I was gonna ask if I could just go ahead and write it up anyway, so I'll get right on that; does this mean I'll only need one more GP check or am I still going to need 2 when i write it up?

Edit: Written up now, awaiting 2nd GP check.

Last edited:

Fireflame

Silksong when
is a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Remove Add Comments (AC)= add comma (RC)= remove comma (AH)= add hyphen (RH)= remove hyphen
[OVERVIEW]

Smeargle carves a notable niche in the OU metagame by being the fastest setter of both Sticky Web and Stealth Rock in the tier. It has access to nearly every move in the entire game, which allows it to serve as a great support Pokemon and suicide lead for offensive teams, although its very poor offensive stats and bulk don't allow Smeargle to do to much with its expansive movepool. Also, Smeargle's low Speed hurts Smeargle it as a suicide lead, making it susceptible to faster Taunt users such as Heatran, Tapu Lele, and Azelf if it is not running Magic Coat.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Sticky Web is Smeargle's main niche and primary move on this set, as it reduces a grounded foe's Speed by one stage, whicb which is useful for wallbreakers on the team to take advantage of. Stealth Rock helps wear down the enemy team,(AC) which is useful for teammates to punch holes in opposing teams more easily. Skill Swap lets Smeargle take on Mega Sableye and set up Stealth Rock against stall builds so that its partners can take better advantage of threats on stall such as Chansey, and it can also take useful abilities from specific threats, such as Sturdy from Skarmory, which a teammate can take advantage of if Smeargle is running Memento. Taunt allows Smeargle to handle slower Stealth Rock setters and Defoggers attempting to get rid of Smeargle's entry hazards such as Tapu Fini, Zapdos, and Skarmory. Memento lowers the opponents foe's offensive stats by 2, which allows a partner such as Swords Dance Mimikyu to come in on a weakened foe and start setting up at the cost of Smeargle itself. Magic Coat is another option similar to Taunt that lets Smeargle take on faster Stealth Rock and Taunt users by bouncing their hazards or Taunt back,(RC) allowing Smeargle to take advantage of them (not necessary). Explosion allows Smeargle to retain momentum after setting up hazards by getting around potential Defog or Rapid Spin users and gives one of its teammates a free switch in.

Set Details
========

Maximum Speed investment with a Timid nature is used so that Smeargle outspeeds threats up to Jolly Bisharp and Jolly Breloom and Speed ties with Jolly Tapu Bulu, while maximum HP investment with a Timid nature is used for some extra bulk. However, if you are Smeargle is running Explosion, you may use a spread of 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe with a Jolly nature instead if you desire extra power on Explosion. Own Tempo is the only ability Smeargle can get some minor use out of, allowing it to avoid confusion from the likes of Tornadus-T's Hurricane or the rare Swagger. Focus Sash lets it Smeargle take one hit and guarantees that it will get up one set of entry hazards.

Usage Tips
========

Smeargle should nearly always be led with in order to set up entry hazards, except against specific leads such as Taunt Tapu Koko which that can take advantage of a Smeargle lead and gain momentum off of it. If there is a Magic Bounce user on the opposing team such as Mega Sableye, try to predict what the Sableye user opponent will do against Smeargle. For example, Sableye may not Mega Evolve, in which case Smeargle gains Prankster when using Skill Swap and cannot use Taunt or Memento against Mega Sableye due to it being a Dark-type. Also,(AC) try to avoid leading against faster Pokemon that may carry Taunt such as Heatran and Azelf, since they will prevent Smeargle from setting up any hazards. Make sure to always look at the enemy team and think about what type of hazard is more beneficial to set up first, since Smeargle may not get the opportunity to set up both hazards in a game. Since the Sticky Web strategy is primarily based around supporting Smeargle's teammates with the momentum that Sticky Web brings, prioritize setting it up over Stealth Rock if a wincon on Smeargle's team needs an opposing threat slowed down in order to sweep. Dragon Dance Salamence, for example, greatly benefits from Sticky Web slowing down opposing Choice Scarf Garchomp, so prioritize setting up Sticky Web in these sorts of matchups. On the other hand, setting up Sticky Web against teams with numerous slower threats or against teams with a number of Ground-immune Pokemon is probably not as beneficial as setting up Stealth Rock. If a slower Stealth Rock or Defog user is lead against Smeargle, Taunting using Taunt against them is a good idea so that they cannot set up hazards against you Smeargle or Defog the ones that you it set up away already. Also, beware of opposing Defiant users like Bisharp,(RC) which that can take advantage of Sticky Web and threaten Smeargle's team with its strong +2 hits.

Team Options
========

Wallbreakers that appreciate either Sticky Web or Stealth Rock support greatly benefit from having Smeargle as a teammate. Mega Metagross appreciates being faster than attackers such as Tapu Koko, Greninja, non-Choice Scarf Pheromosa, and Choice Scarf Garchomp if Sticky Web is up against the opposing team. There are many other teammates that benefit from Sticky Web, such as Xurkitree, Swords Dance Kartana, Gengar, Porygon-Z, and Tapu Bulu. Other slower wallbreakers such as Hoopa-U, non-Choice Scarf Tapu Lele, and Kyurem-B like Sticky Web support as well as Stealth Rock support. Greninja and Ash-Greninja both serve great roles on Sticky Web teams;(add semicolon).(RC) both can outspeed the majority of Choice Scarf users and non-Choice Scarf Tapu Koko and Pheromosa, allowing them to perform excellently against many offensive builds that rely on these fast grounded threats. Protean Greninja, in particular, has a great matchup against common entry hazard removers such as Tapu Fini, making it harder for the opponent to get rid of hazards. Partners that can deter the enemy team from getting rid of hazards, such as Defiant users like Thundurus and Bisharp,(AC) or spinblockers like Mimikyu and Gengar that can take on Rapid Spin Pheromosa, can assist Smeargle; they also benefit from the effects of Sticky Web on the opposing team. If you wish to combat opposing hazard stacking, you can choose to run a Rapid Spin user such as Pheromosa or Choice Scarf Excadrill so that you can remove hazards just from your side of the field. Defog is not recommended on teams that Smeargle is on for this reason, although this is not required on the offensive builds Smeargle finds itself on. Having partners that lead well against opposing hazard leads or Mega Sableye is very beneficial so that you do not lose momentum against stall or opposing offense builds if Sticky Web is not being used; Taunt Tapu Koko and Tapu Lele perform these roles very well. In addition to helping against opposing hazard setters, faster Taunt users also help against hazard removers; Tornadus-T, Tapu Koko, Gyarados, Gengar, Mega Alakazam, and Pheromosa are all fast Taunt users that can retain momentum for Smeargle's teammates.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Spikes can be run in place of Stealth Rock, although this will require you to run another Stealth Rock user on your team. Spore can be used to put the foe to sleep so Smeargle can get up more entry hazards, although but (repetition) you should beware Misty Terrain or Electric Terrain being on the field, which prevents Spore from working. Encore allows Smeargle to take advantage of an enemy setting up hazards or using a status move so that it can set up Sticky Web and Stealth Rock and then use Explosion or Memento. Nuzzle allows Smeargle to paralyze an enemy for partners to take advantage of, and it is not being affected by Taunt due to being an offensive move. Endeavor can bring the foe down to 1 HP after using up Smeargle's Focus Sash, but Smeargle is strapped for moveslots as it is. Baton Pass allows Smeargle to safely switch into a teammate while preserving it as fodder later on in a match. Mental Herb may seem like a good option to take on Taunt users better; however, Shuckle uses this item better due to Sturdy, and losing Focus Sash means Smeargle now has issues setting up hazards against many threats due to its very poor bulk.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Mega Sableye**: Although it must watch out for Skill Swap, Mega Sableye can easily prevent Smeargle from setting up entry hazards and can lead against it with ease due to Magic Bounce making it immune to Taunt.

**Faster Taunt Users**: Faster Taunt users like Azelf, Heatran, and Tapu Koko can lead against Smeargle with ease and prevent it from setting up hazards, and Azelf and Heatran can set up their own Stealth Rock. Heatran is also a notable threat because it can break Smeargle's Focus Sash and take it down in one turn due to Magma Storm.

**Hazard Removers**: Opposing hazard removers such as Tapu Fini, Rapid Spin Pheromosa, Latios, Zapdos, and Skarmory can serve as huge threats to Sticky Web teams,(RC) by removing Smeargle's entry hazards and therefore removing the effect it has on the battle. Latios, Zapdos, and Skarmory are notable because they are all immune to Sticky Web. Defog Kartana is immune to Spore due to its Grass typing. Focus Sash Excadrill is a notable example,(RC) since it (this wasn't entirely necessary and was awkward after the Defog Kartana mention) can set up Stealth Rock against Smeargle and Rapid Spin away any hazards that were set against it.
GP 2/2

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)