LC Honedge

Xayah

San Bwanna
is a Community Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
QC: Nineage / Hilomilo / Levi
GP: Fireflame / Omicron

[OVERVIEW]

Honedge's Steel / Ghost typing, good Attack stat, and access to STAB priority allow it to function as a decent offensive check to Fairy- and Psychic-types like Spritzee and Abra. It can also soft check Flying-types like Doduo and Rufflet, though it fears Knock Off from the former. Honedge also has a good movepool, which includes coverage options in Sacred Sword and Rock Slide to complement its STAB moves, Pursuit to trap and KO Abra while being immune to Counter from Focus Sash variants, and Swords Dance to boost its already good Attack stat. However, Honedge's typing is a double-edged sword, as it leaves it weak to common moves such as Knock Off and Earthquake. In addition, these moves are often run as coverage by Pokemon it would otherwise be able to check, such as Fighting-types like Mienfoo and Rock-types like Dwebble. Honedge also lacks any form of recovery outside of Berry Juice, which in combination with its bad Special Defense, leaves it open to being worn down, and its STAB moves have low Base Power and only average coverage, meaning that despite its good Attack stat, it's unable to deal significant damage to a big portion of the metagame. Lastly, Honedge faces a lot of competition from other Steel-types like Ferroseed, which has access to Stealth Rock, Spikes, and Thunder Wave, as well as Pursuit trappers like Alolan Grimer, which has a more powerful Pursuit thanks to it being STAB, access to STAB Knock Off, and a great ability in Poison Touch.

[SET]
name: Offensive
move 1: Shadow Sneak
move 2: Iron Head
move 3: Sacred Sword / Rock Slide
move 4: Pursuit / Swords Dance
item: Eviolite / Berry Juice
ability: No Guard
nature: Adamant
evs: 76 HP / 116 Atk / 116 Def / 140 SpD / 52 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Shadow Sneak is a STAB priority move that hits Psychic-types such as Abra and Ghost-types such as Gastly super effectively, OHKOing Abra and Life Orb Gastly and Hex Gastly after Stealth Rock. Iron Head is Honedge's most powerful move and hits Fairy- and Rock-types super effectively, 2HKOing Spritzee and Eviolite Snubbull, while Berry Juice Dwebble is OHKOed if its Sturdy is broken. Sacred Sword can be used to hit Steel-types like Pawniard and Ferroseed, both of which can take Honedge's STAB moves with ease, super effectively, OHKOing Pawniard and 2HKOing Ferroseed after minor prior damage. Rock Slide is an option to hit Pokemon such as Vullaby and Fire-types like Ponyta and Larvesta super effectively, which are otherwise able to check Honedge; it 2HKOes Vullaby and Ponyta after Stealth Rock and OHKOes Larvesta after Stealth Rock. Pursuit can be used to trap frail Pokemon such as Abra, either knocking them out or significantly weakening them, making it harder for them to do their job. Swords Dance boosts Honedge's Attack by two stages, allowing its STAB moves to deal significant damage to even very bulky Pokemon, as it will 2HKO Mudbray through Stamina, Timburr, and bulky Mienfoo and OHKO Spritzee with Iron Head while 2HKOing Slowpoke with Shadow Sneak; this can give it a good shot at sweeping. Shadow Claw can be used over Shadow Sneak in order to OHKO Pumpkaboo-XL and nearly always OHKO Slowpoke after Stealth Rock if Honedge has a Swords Dance boost, but due to Honedge's low Speed, Shadow Sneak's priority is usually more valuable.

Set Details
========

Eviolite is usually the item of choice, as in combination with the Special Defense investment, it allows Honedge to always survive one Hidden Power Ground from Life Orb Abra and one Dark Pulse from unboosted Nasty Plot Vullaby; in combination with the Defense investment, it allows Honedge to survive one Knock Off from non-Life Orb Pawniard and Vullaby. In addition, the Defense and Special Defense EVs hit Eviolite numbers, which maximizes Honedge's bulk. Berry Juice can be used to give Honedge a form of recovery, increasing its longevity slightly but leaving it usually OHKOed by the aforementioned moves. Berry Juice also synergizes well with Swords Dance, as it can bring Honedge back up to full HP if it takes a hit while setting up. 116 Attack EVs with an Adamant nature allow Honedge to hit as hard as possible, notably 2HKOing Spritzee with Iron Head and usually OHKOing Life Orb Gastly with Shadow Sneak. The leftover EVs are put into HP and Speed to raise both by one point. The Speed EVs notably let it outspeed Spritzee and Snubbull.

Usage Tips
========

Honedge's role compression allows it to do many things for its team depending on what is needed, such as switching into and Pursuit trapping Abra, checking Flying-types like Rufflet and Doduo, and wallbreaking thanks to its high Attack stat and access to Swords Dance. Be careful of Honedge being worn down, as it doesn't have any form of recovery. As such, also try to avoid getting burned, as this will make Honedge significantly weaker and wear it down quickly. Because of this, Honedge should avoid attacking Flame Body users such as Ponyta and Larvesta. Shadow Sneak can be used to revenge kill threats that are weak to Ghost, such as Abra and Gastly, as well as other foes if they are weakened enough. The combination of Shadow Sneak and Pursuit can create mind games in the matchup against Gastly; however, Honedge has to be very careful, as Gastly can easily knock it out if you mispredict. Always try to avoid Knock Off users like Mienfoo and Vullaby unless it is to lure them with a super effective coverage move, as Knock Off will not only deal significant damage to Honedge but also cripple it by removing its item. Honedge has a plethora of resistances, so these should be taken advantage of to get Honedge into play against Psychic- and Fairy-types. However, it should still be wary of super effective coverage on Pokemon it can otherwise check, such as Abra and Snubbull.

Team Options
========

Honedge should be used on teams that require a check to Psychic-, Fairy-, and Flying-types as well as a Pursuit trapper in only one teamslot. Pokemon that appreciate Honedge checking these synergize well with it; examples include Fighting-types such as Mienfoo and Timburr and Dark-types such as Vullaby and Pawniard. Fighting-types can also switch into the Dark-types that Honedge fears, while Dark-types switch into Ghost-types. Fairy-types like Spritzee and Snubbull appreciate Honedge checking Steel- and Poison-types, and in return, they can switch into Dark-types for it. Spritzee can also heal Honedge with Wish and remove burns with Aromatherapy. Flying- and Grass-types like Vullaby, Foongus, and Snivy can switch into Ground-types, and in the case of Grass-types, can KO them. Water-types like Chinchou and Mareanie and Rock-types like Onix can switch into the Fire-types that Honedge fears. Rock-types also appreciate Honedge checking Steel-types, while Chinchou can provide Heal Bell support for Honedge. Pokemon that appreciate Honedge trapping Abra with Pursuit such as Fighting-types like Mienfoo and Poison-types like Foongus, pair well with it. Knock Off users like the aforementioned Fighting-types as well as Dark-types like Pawniard and Vullaby can help Honedge by crippling defensive Pokemon by removing their Eviolite, allowing Honedge to wallbreak much more easily.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

A set utilizing both Autotomize and Swords Dance can be used to sweep late-game, but Honedge's moves have low Base Power, and it is still outsped by faster Choice Scarfers like Doduo and Mienfoo even after a boost, meaning that this set is not recommended. Destiny Bond can be used alongside Autotomize in order to take out a Pokemon that would normally get a free KO on Honedge, but it is unreliable and takes up valuable moveslots. A set utilizing RestTalk to give Honedge recovery may seem alluring, but Honedge is not bulky enough to make proper use of it. Magnet Rise can be used to avoid Ground-type moves, but it is hard to fully utilize due to Honedge's low Speed.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Dark-types**: While many Dark-types don't switch into Honedge very easily due to Sacred Sword, they significantly threaten it with Knock Off and thus usually force it out. Vullaby can also switch into any of Honedge's moves outside of Rock Slide.

**Fighting-types**: Fighting-types like Mienfoo and Timburr do not take much damage from any of Honedge's moves and can threaten it with Knock Off. Some, such as Timburr and Pancham, can also set up on it.

**Fire-types**: Fire-types like Ponyta and Larvesta can easily switch into Honedge and threaten it with a burn, though they have to be wary of Rock Slide.

**Burns**: If Honedge is burned, it is significantly crippled, as it will be unable to do much damage and also gets whittled down. In addition, the Fire- and Water-types that can burn it with Will-O-Wisp and Scald respectively, like Ponyta and Chinchou, can also easily switch into it.

**Ground-types**: Honedge has no way of dealing a lot of damage to bulky Ground-types like Mudbray and Hippopotas, while they can threaten it with their super effective STAB moves.

Last edited:

Nineage

Pugnacious.
is a Programmeris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
[OVERVIEW]
Make it clear that rufflet doesnt get knock off
Knock Off isn't only common on Fighting types its common everywhere. This point is actually oddly worded in general, I'd consider changing it to like:
"Honedge's typing leaves it open to common coverage moves such as Knock etc...In addition, these coverage moves are frequently run by Pokemon it aims to check, such as x y z"
I feel like it should be mentioned that Honedge's STABs aren't particularly strong and don't have very wide coverage at all, which means that despite its Attack stat it really isnt hitting most of the meta very hard.
[SET]
I'll buy it, but I'd love to know why you chose this ev spread. I remember this thing is deliberately EVd to take overheats from fletch and pursuit trap, so is there something more optimal in the post-fletch meta?

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========
Make it clear that Pursuit traps Abra. I also dont think lo star is a good example at all since it has a decent chance to ohko this spread.

Set Details
========
Mention that BJ pairs well with swords dance

Usage Tips
========
Mention that abra can run shadow ball so be somewhat careful switching in
Mention flame body users under avoid getting burned
Talk about abusing resistances to come in

Team Options
========
Theres some funky grammar here lol
I dont think Honedge checks the metas common rock types well, this point should probably be removed
Mention mons that like pursuit support
Id mention Honedge's exact niche at the beginning of this paragraph, eg. "Honedge is best used on teams that need to compress a fairy check, pursuit, etc. into one moveslot"

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============
Yeah its movepool is pretty dong. This looks fine.

Checks and Counters
===================
Seems ok

1/3 im tired and a little out of it

Xayah

San Bwanna
[OVERVIEW]
Make it clear that rufflet doesnt get knock off
Knock Off isn't only common on Fighting types its common everywhere. This point is actually oddly worded in general, I'd consider changing it to like:
"Honedge's typing leaves it open to common coverage moves such as Knock etc...In addition, these coverage moves are frequently run by Pokemon it aims to check, such as x y z"
I feel like it should be mentioned that Honedge's STABs aren't particularly strong and don't have very wide coverage at all, which means that despite its Attack stat it really isnt hitting most of the meta very hard.
[SET]
I'll buy it, but I'd love to know why you chose this ev spread. I remember this thing is deliberately EVd to take overheats from fletch and pursuit trap, so is there something more optimal in the post-fletch meta?

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========
Make it clear that Pursuit traps Abra. I also dont think lo star is a good example at all since it has a decent chance to ohko this spread.

Set Details
========
Mention that BJ pairs well with swords dance

Usage Tips
========
Mention that abra can run shadow ball so be somewhat careful switching in
Mention flame body users under avoid getting burned
Talk about abusing resistances to come in

Team Options
========
Theres some funky grammar here lol
I dont think Honedge checks the metas common rock types well, this point should probably be removed
Mention mons that like pursuit support
Id mention Honedge's exact niche at the beginning of this paragraph, eg. "Honedge is best used on teams that need to compress a fairy check, pursuit, etc. into one moveslot"

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============
Yeah its movepool is pretty dong. This looks fine.

Checks and Counters
===================
Seems ok

1/3 im tired and a little out of it
I know the feeling of being 'tired and a little out of it', seems like I was too while writing this analysis.

Anyway, thanks for the check, ready for 2/3

Hilomilo

High-low My-low
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Overview
* "Honedge can provide nice role compression, as it is capable of checking Fairy- and Flying-types while Pursuit trapping Abra." - Most of this line has been said previously already, so it's pretty redundant information. As a result, I'd remove it.
* Elaborate a little as to why it faces competition in its roles (lacks entry hazards, status and Knock Off).

Set
Looks good

Moves
* Everything here looks good, but add Shadow Claw as an option here. Say that when Honedge is boosted, it hits foes like Slowpoke and Pumpkaboo-XL for OHKOs with some prior damage but is usually less valuable than the priority Shadow Sneak provides.

Set Details
Very nice

Usage Tips
* Since your first four lines in this section are all about the same thing (Doublade's role compression), it's best that you find a way to condense all of this info into one line. You can do this in saying something like, "Doublade's role compression allows it to do many things for its team depending on what is needed, such as switching into and Pursuit trapping Abra, checking Flying-types like Rufflet and Doduo, and wallbreaking thanks to its high Attack stat and access to Swords Dance."
* Add in your Shadow Sneak line that it can also revenge kill foes that have been weakened.
* I'd also add that despite Honedge's plethora of resistances, it has to be wary of super effective coverage from Pokemon it would otherwise check, like Abra, Mienfoo and Snubbull.

Team Options
* I'd add in your Water-type section that Chinchou can provide Honedge with cleric support in the form of Heal Bell in addition to checking Fire-types.
* I also think you should add Knock Off support. Give examples of Pokemon capable of supporting Honedge with Knock Off and say that it helps Honedge to muscle past bulkier threats when it attempts wallbreaking.

Other Options
* Remove Shadow Claw mentions here since I think its valuable enough to warrant a mention under Moves.

Checks and Counters
Looks good

As always, great work! Implement these changes and you'll have my 2/3
now go check Larvitar or A-Sandshrew ;)

Xayah

San Bwanna
Overview
* "Honedge can provide nice role compression, as it is capable of checking Fairy- and Flying-types while Pursuit trapping Abra." - Most of this line has been said previously already, so it's pretty redundant information. As a result, I'd remove it.
* Elaborate a little as to why it faces competition in its roles (lacks entry hazards, status and Knock Off).

Set
Looks good

Moves
* Everything here looks good, but add Shadow Claw as an option here. Say that when Honedge is boosted, it hits foes like Slowpoke and Pumpkaboo-XL for OHKOs with some prior damage but is usually less valuable than the priority Shadow Sneak provides.

Set Details
Very nice

Usage Tips
* Since your first four lines in this section are all about the same thing (Doublade's role compression), it's best that you find a way to condense all of this info into one line. You can do this in saying something like, "Doublade's role compression allows it to do many things for its team depending on what is needed, such as switching into and Pursuit trapping Abra, checking Flying-types like Rufflet and Doduo, and wallbreaking thanks to its high Attack stat and access to Swords Dance."
* Add in your Shadow Sneak line that it can also revenge kill foes that have been weakened.
* I'd also add that despite Honedge's plethora of resistances, it has to be wary of super effective coverage from Pokemon it would otherwise check, like Abra, Mienfoo and Snubbull.

Team Options
* I'd add in your Water-type section that Chinchou can provide Honedge with cleric support in the form of Heal Bell in addition to checking Fire-types.
* I also think you should add Knock Off support. Give examples of Pokemon capable of supporting Honedge with Knock Off and say that it helps Honedge to muscle past bulkier threats when it attempts wallbreaking.

Other Options
* Remove Shadow Claw mentions here since I think its valuable enough to warrant a mention under Moves.

Checks and Counters
Looks good

As always, great work! Implement these changes and you'll have my 2/3
now go check Larvitar or A-Sandshrew ;)
Thanks for the check, implement, writing up now. Small note though:
It's nice and all that you play UU, but that does not allow you to suddenly evolve your LC mons.

Anyway, I'll see if I can give one of your mons a check tomorrow

Corporal Levi

ninjadog of the decade
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
Overview:
When discussing Pursuit trapping Abra, mention that Honedge is immune to Sashbra's Counter.
I don't think No Guard affects Honedge enough to be worth mentioning.

Moves:
Specify Berry Juice Dwebble when discussing Iron head.
Emphasize that Swords Dance gives Honedge a genuine shot at sweeping.

Usage Tips:
Always try to avoid Knock Off users like Pawniard and Vullaby [except to lure them with a super-effective coverage move], as it will not only deal significant damage to it, but also cripple it by removing its item.
Using Sacred Sword on a Pawniard is often the play.

Team Options:
Mention that Stealth Rock support from the likes of Kabuto and Onix can help weaken its checks, such as Vullaby.

Other Options:
Mention that Honedge lacks the bulk to properly take advantage of a RestTalk set.

Checks and Counters:
I wouldn't say Dark-types other than Vullaby can easily switch in on Honedge.

QC 3/3 nice work, write it up

Xayah

San Bwanna
Overview:
When discussing Pursuit trapping Abra, mention that Honedge is immune to Sashbra's Counter.
I don't think No Guard affects Honedge enough to be worth mentioning.

Moves:
Specify Berry Juice Dwebble when discussing Iron head.
Emphasize that Swords Dance gives Honedge a genuine shot at sweeping.

Usage Tips:
Always try to avoid Knock Off users like Pawniard and Vullaby [except to lure them with a super-effective coverage move], as it will not only deal significant damage to it, but also cripple it by removing its item.
Using Sacred Sword on a Pawniard is often the play.

Team Options:
Mention that Stealth Rock support from the likes of Kabuto and Onix can help weaken its checks, such as Vullaby.

Other Options:
Mention that Honedge lacks the bulk to properly take advantage of a RestTalk set.

Checks and Counters:
I wouldn't say Dark-types other than Vullaby can easily switch in on Honedge.

QC 3/3 nice work, write it up
Implemented, going to TDP's goons.

MANTYKE IS MINE

Eyan

sleep is the cousin of death
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
wew am check.

Add / Corrections Remove Comments
Capitalise lowercase

[OVERVIEW]

Honedge's Steel / Ghost typing, good Attack stat, and access to STAB priority allows it to function as a decent offensive check to Fairy- and Psychic-types like Spritzee and Abra. It can also soft check Flying-types like Doduo and Rufflet, though it has to fears Knock Off from the former. It also has a good movepool, which includes good coverage options in Sacred Sword and Rock Slide to complement its STAB moves, Pursuit to trap and KO Abra while being immune to Counter from Focus Sash variants, and Swords Dance to boost its already good Attack stat. However, Honedge's typing is a double-edged sword, as it leaves it weak to common moves like such as Knock Off and Earthquake. In addition, these moves are often run as coverage by Pokemon it would otherwise be able to check, such as Fighting-types like Mienfoo and Rock-types like Dwebble. It also lacks any form of recovery outside of Berry Juice, which in combination with its bad Special Defense leaves it open to being worn down, and its STAB moves have low Base Power and only average coverage, meaning that, (RC) despite its good Attack stat, it's unable to deal significant damage to a big portion of the metagame. Lastly, it faces a lot of competition from other Steel-types like Ferroseed, which has access to Stealth Rock, Spikes, and Thunder Wave, as well as from Pursuit trappers like Alolan Grimer, which has a more power Pursuit thanks to STAB, access to STAB Pursuit and Knock Off, and as well as a great ability in Poison Touch.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Shadow Sneak is a STAB priority move that hits Psychic-types like Abra and Ghost-types like Gastly super effectively, OHKOing Abra and Life Orb Gastly, and as well as Hex Gastly after Stealth Rock. Iron Head is Honedge's most powerful move and hits Fairy- and Rock-types super effectively, 2HKOing Spritzee and Eviolite Snubbull, while Berry Juice Dwebble is OHKOed if its Sturdy is broken. Sacred Sword can be used to hit Steel-types like Pawniard and Ferroseed, both of which can take either of Honedge's STAB moves with ease, super effectively, OHKOing Pawniard and 2HKOing Ferroseed after minor prior damage. Rock Slide is an option to hit Pokemon such as Vullaby and Fire-types like Ponyta and Larvesta, (RC) all of which are otherwise able to check Honedge, (RC) super effectively, which are otherwise able to check Honedge and; (semicolon) it 2HKOes Vullaby and Ponyta after Stealth Rock and OHKOes Larvesta after Stealth Rock. Pursuit can be used to trap frail Pokemon such as like Abra, either knocking them out or significantly weakening them, making it harder for them to do their job,. (comma->period) while Swords Dance boosts Honedge's Attack by two stages, and allows allowing its STAB moves to deal very significant damage to even very bulky Pokemon, as it will 2HKO Mudbray through Stamina, Timburr, and bulky Mienfoo with Iron Head, usually and OHKO Spritzee with Iron Head, (RC) and while 2HKOing Slowpoke with Shadow Sneak.; (period->semicolon) this can give it a good shot at sweeping. Shadow Claw can be used over Shadow Sneak in order to always OHKO Pumpkaboo-XL and nearly always OHKO Slowpoke after Stealth Rock if Honedge has a Swords Dance boost, but due to Honedge's low Speed, Shadow Sneak's priority is usually more valuable.

Set Details
========

Eviolite is usually the item of choice, as in combination with the Special Defense investment, it allows Honedge to always survive one Hidden Power Ground from Life Orb Abra, (RC) and one Dark Pulse from unboosted Nasty Plot Vullaby or,; (comma->semicolon) in combination with the Defense investment, it allows Honedge to survive one Knock Off from non-Life Orb Pawniard or Vullaby (putting all 3 examples into a series puts them all under "in combination with the Special Defense investment). In addition, (AC) the Defense and Special Defense EVs hit Eviolite-optimal numbers (try changing it to be like "hitting optimal Defense and Special Defense"). Berry Juice can be used to give Honedge a form of recovery, increasing its longevity slightly. However, it makes but making it usually OHKOed by the aforementioned moves mentioned before. It Berry Juice also synergises synergizes well with Swords Dance, as it can bring Honedge back up to full HP if it takes a hit while setting up. 116 Attack EVs with an Adamant nature allows Honedge to hit as hard as possible, notably 2HKOing Spritzee with Iron Head and usually OHKOing Life Orb Gastly with Shadow Sneak. The leftover EVs are put into HP and Speed to raise both by one point. The Speed EVs notably let it outspeed Spritzee and Snubbull.

Usage Tips
========

Honedge's role compression allows it to do many things for its team depending on what is needed, such as switching into and Pursuit trapping Abra, checking Flying-types like Rufflet and Doduo, and wallbreaking thanks to its high Attack stat and access to Swords Dance. Be careful of Honedge being worn down, as it doesn't have any form of recovery. As such, also try to avoid getting burned, as it this will make Honedge significantly weaker and wear it down quickly. Because of this, Honedge should avoid attacking Flame Body users like such as Ponyta and Larvesta. Shadow Sneak can be used to revenge kill threats that are weak to Ghost, like such as Abra and Gastly, as well as other foes if they are weakened enough. The combination of Shadow Sneak and Pursuit can create mind(add space)games in the matchup against Gastly. However, Honedge has to be very careful, as Gastly can easily knock it out of it if you mispredicts (Honedge isn't the one making predictions). Always try to avoid Knock Off users like Mienfoo and Vullaby, unless it is to lure them with a super effective coverage move, as it Knock Off will not only deal significant damage to it, (RC) but also cripple it by removing its item. Honedge has a plethora of resistances, so these should be abused taken advantage of to get Honedge into play against for example Pokemon such as Psychic- and Fairy-types. However, it should still be wary of super effective coverage on Pokemon it can otherwise check, like such as Abra and Snubbull.

Team Options
========

Honedge should be used on teams that require a check to Psychic-, Fairy-, and Flying-types as well as a Pursuit trapper in only one teamslot. Pokemon that appreciate Honedge checking these Pokemon synergise synergize well with it.; (period->semicolon) examples include Fighting-types like such as Mienfoo and Timburr and Dark-types like such as Vullaby and Pawniard. Fighting-types can also switch into the Dark-types that Honedge fears, while Dark-types switch into Ghost-types. Fairy-types like Spritzee and Snubbull appreciate Honedge checking Steel- and Poison-types. In return, they can switch into Dark-types for it. Spritzee can also heal Honedge with Wish and remove burns with Aromatherapy. Flying- and Grass-types like Vullaby, Foongus, and Snivy can switch into Ground-types and, in the case of Grass-types, KO them. Water-types like Chinchou and Mareanie and Rock-types like Onix can switch into the Fire-types that Honedge fears. Rock-types also appreciate Honedge checking Steel-types, while Chinchou can provide Heal Bell support for Honedge. Pokemon that appreciate Honedge Pursuit trapping Abra, such as Fighting-types like Mienfoo and Poison-types like Foongus, pair well with it. Knock Off users like the aforementioned Fighting-types as well as Dark-types like Pawniard and Vullaby can help Honedge by crippling defensive Pokemon by removing their Eviolite, allowing Honedge to wallbreak much more easily.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

A set utilizing both Autotomize and Swords Dance can be used to sweep in the late-game, but Honedge's moves have low Base Power, (AC) and it is still outsped by faster Choice Scarfers users like Doduo and Mienfoo even after a boost, meaning that this set is not recommended. Destiny Bond can be used alongside Autotomize in order to take out a Pokemon that would normally get a free KO on Honedge, but it is unreliable and takes up valuable moveslots. A set utilizing RestTalk to give Honedge recovery may seem alluring, but Honedge is not bulky enough to make proper use of it. Magnet Rise can be used to avoid Ground-type moves, but Honedge is too slow to make good use of it (maybe rephrase it to something along the lines of "but it is hard to fully utilize with Honedge's low Speed" so as to not sound repetitive.).

Checks and Counters
===================
**Dark-types**: While many Dark-types don't switch into Honedge very easily due to Sacred Sword, they significantly threaten it with Knock Off, (RC) and thus usually force it out. Vullaby can also switch into any of Honedge's moves outside of Rock Slide.

**Fighting-types**: Fighting-types like Mienfoo and Timburr do not take much damage from any of Honedge's moves and can threaten it with Knock Off. Some, like such as Timburr and Pancham, can also set up on it.

**Fire-types**: Fire-types like Ponyta and Larvesta can easily switch into Honedge and threaten it with a burn, though they have to be wary of Rock Slide.

**Burns**: If Honedge is burned, it is significantly crippled, as it will be unable to do much damage and also gets whittles whittled down. In addition, the Fire- and Water-types that can inflict burn on it with Will-O-Wisp or and Scald respectively can also easily switch into it.

**Ground-types**: Honedge has no way of dealing a lot of damage to bulky Ground-types like Mudbray or and Hippopotas, (RC) while they can threaten it with their super effective STAB moves.

Last edited:

Xayah

San Bwanna
wew am check.

Capitalise lowercase

[OVERVIEW]

Honedge's Steel / Ghost typing, good Attack stat, and access to STAB priority allows it to function as a decent offensive check to Fairy- and Psychic-types like Spritzee and Abra. It can also soft check Flying-types like Doduo and Rufflet, though it has to fears Knock Off from the former. It also has a good movepool, which includes good coverage options in Sacred Sword and Rock Slide to complement its STAB moves, Pursuit to trap and KO Abra while being immune to Counter from Focus Sash variants, and Swords Dance to boost its already good Attack stat. However, Honedge's typing is a double-edged sword, as it leaves it Honedge weak to common moves like such as Knock Off and Earthquake. In addition, these moves are often run as coverage by Pokemon it would otherwise be able to check, such as Fighting-types like Mienfoo and Rock-types like Dwebble. It also lacks any form of recovery outside of Berry Juice, which in combination with its bad Special Defense leaves it open to being worn down, and its STAB moves have low Base Power and only average coverage, meaning that, (RC) despite its good Attack stat, it's unable to deal significant damage to a big portion of the metagame. Lastly, it faces a lot of competition from other Steel-types like Ferroseed, which has access to Stealth Rock, Spikes, and Thunder Wave, as well as from Pursuit trappers like Alolan Grimer, which has a more powerful Pursuit thanks to STAB, access to STAB Knock Off, and a great ability in Poison Touch.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Shadow Sneak is a STAB priority move that hits Psychic-types like such as Abra and Ghost-types like such as Gastly super effectively, OHKOing Abra and Life Orb Gastly, (RC) and Hex Gastly after Stealth Rock. Iron Head is Honedge's most powerful move and hits Fairy- and Rock-types super effectively, 2HKOing Spritzee and Eviolite Snubbull, while Berry Juice Dwebble is OHKOed if its Sturdy is broken. Sacred Sword can be used to hit Steel-types like Pawniard and Ferroseed, both of which can take either of Honedge's STAB moves with ease, super effectively, OHKOing Pawniard and 2HKOing Ferroseed after minor prior damage. Rock Slide is an option to hit Pokemon such as Vullaby and Fire-types like Ponyta and Larvesta, (RC) all of which are otherwise able to check Honedge, (RC) super effectively, which are otherwise able to check Honedge and; (semicolon) it 2HKOes Vullaby and Ponyta after Stealth Rock and OHKOes Larvesta after Stealth Rock. Pursuit can be used to trap frail Pokemon such as Abra, either knocking them out or significantly weakening them, making it harder for them to do their job,. (comma->period) while Swords Dance boosts Honedge's Attack by two stages, and allows allowing its STAB moves to deal very significant damage to even very bulky Pokemon, as it will 2HKO Mudbray through Stamina, Timburr, and bulky Mienfoo with Iron Head, usually and OHKO Spritzee with Iron Head, (RC) and while 2HKOing Slowpoke with Shadow Sneak.; (period->semicolon) this can give it a good shot at sweeping. Shadow Claw can be used over Shadow Sneak in order to always OHKO Pumpkaboo-XL and nearly always OHKO Slowpoke after Stealth Rock if Honedge has a Swords Dance boost, but due to Honedge's low Speed, Shadow Sneak's priority is usually more valuable.

Set Details
========

Eviolite is usually the item of choice, as in combination with the Special Defense investment, it allows Honedge to always survive one Hidden Power Ground from Life Orb Abra, (RC) and one Dark Pulse from unboosted Nasty Plot Vullaby or,; (comma->semicolon) in combination with the Defense investment, it allows Honedge to survive one Knock Off from non-Life Orb Pawniard or Vullaby (putting all 3 examples into a series puts them all under "in combination with the Special Defense investment). In addition, (AC) the Defense and Special Defense EVs hit Eviolite-optimal numbers. Berry Juice can be used to give Honedge a form of recovery, increasing its longevity slightly. However, it makes but making it usually OHKOed by the aforementioned moves mentioned before. It Berry Juice also synergises synergizes well with Swords Dance, as it can bring Honedge back up to full HP if it takes a hit while setting up. 116 Attack EVs with an Adamant nature allows Honedge to hit as hard as possible, notably 2HKOing Spritzee with Iron Head and usually OHKOing Life Orb Gastly with Shadow Sneak. The leftover EVs are put into HP and Speed to raise both by one point. The Speed EVs notably let it outspeed Spritzee and Snubbull.

Usage Tips
========

Honedge's role compression allows it to do many things for its team depending on what is needed, such as switching into and Pursuit trapping Abra, checking Flying-types like Rufflet and Doduo, and wallbreaking thanks to its high Attack stat and access to Swords Dance. Be careful of Honedge being worn down, as it doesn't have any form of recovery. As such, also try to avoid getting burned, as it this will make Honedge significantly weaker and wear it down quickly. Because of this, Honedge should avoid attacking Flame Body users like such as Ponyta and Larvesta. Shadow Sneak can be used to revenge kill threats that are weak to Ghost, like such as Abra and Gastly, as well as other foes if they are weakened enough. The combination of Shadow Sneak and Pursuit can create mind(add space)games in the matchup against Gastly. However, Honedge has to be very careful, as Gastly can easily knock it out of it if you mispredicts (Honedge isn't the one making predictions). Always try to avoid Knock Off users like Mienfoo and Vullaby, unless it is to lure them with a super effective coverage move, as it Knock Off will not only deal significant damage to it, (RC) but also cripple it by removing its item. Honedge has a plethora of resistances, so these should be abused taken advantage of to get Honedge into play against for example Pokemon such as Psychic- and Fairy-types. However, it should still be wary of super effective coverage on Pokemon it can otherwise check, like such as Abra and Snubbull.

Team Options
========

Honedge should be used on teams that require a check to Psychic-, Fairy-, and Flying-types as well as a Pursuit trapper in only one teamslot. Pokemon that appreciate Honedge checking these Pokemon synergise synergize well with it.; (period->semicolon) examples include Fighting-types like such as Mienfoo and Timburr and Dark-types like such as Vullaby and Pawniard. Fighting-types can also switch into the Dark-types that Honedge fears, while Dark-types switch into Ghost-types. Fairy-types like Spritzee and Snubbull appreciate Honedge checking Steel- and Poison-types. In return, they can switch into Dark-types for it. Spritzee can also heal Honedge with Wish and remove burns with Aromatherapy. Flying- and Grass-types like Vullaby, Foongus, and Snivy can switch into Ground-types and, in the case of Grass-types, KO them. Water-types like Chinchou and Mareanie and Rock-types like Onix can switch into the Fire-types that Honedge fears. Rock-types also appreciate Honedge checking Steel-types, while Chinchou can provide Heal Bell support for Honedge. Pokemon that appreciate Honedge Pursuit trapping Abra, such as Fighting-types like Mienfoo and Poison-types like Foongus, pair well with it. Knock Off users like the aforementioned Fighting-types as well as Dark-types like Pawniard and Vullaby can help Honedge by crippling defensive Pokemon by removing their Eviolite, allowing Honedge to wallbreak much more easily.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

A set utilizing both Autotomize and Swords Dance can be used to sweep in the late-game, but Honedge's moves have low Base Power, (AC) and it is still outsped by faster Scarfers like Doduo and Mienfoo even after a boost, meaning that this set is not recommended. Destiny Bond can be used alongside Autotomize in order to take out a Pokemon that would normally get a free KO on Honedge, but it is unreliable and takes up valuable moveslots. A set utilizing RestTalk to give Honedge recovery may seem alluring, but Honedge is not bulky enough to make proper use of it. Magnet Rise can be used to avoid Ground-type moves, but Honedge is too slow to make good use of it (maybe rephrase it to something along the lines of "but it is hard to fully utilize with Honedge's low Speed" so as to not sound repetitive.).

Checks and Counters
===================
**Dark-types**: While many Dark-types don't switch into Honedge very easily due to Sacred Sword, they significantly threaten it with Knock Off, (RC) and thus usually force it out. Vullaby can also switch into any of Honedge's moves outside of Rock Slide.

**Fighting-types**: Fighting-types like Mienfoo and Timburr do not take much damage from any of Honedge's moves and can threaten it with Knock Off. Some, like such as Timburr and Pancham, can also set up on it.

**Burns**: If Honedge is burned, it is significantly crippled, as it will be unable to do much damage and also gets whittles whittled down. In addition, the Fire- and Water-types that can inflict burn on it with Will-O-Wisp or and Scald respectively can also easily switch into it.

**Ground-types**: Honedge has no way of dealing a lot of damage to bulky Ground-types like Mudbray or and Hippopotas, (RC) while they can threaten it with their super effective STAB moves.
Thanks for the check, implemented. Maybe fleurdyleurse can give a stamp now (she is tutoring both of us after all).

Just FYI Eyan "like" is a perfectly acceptable substitute for "such as" in most cases, so while your edits weren't technically incorrect, it isn't necessary to change all the "likes" to "such as". I believe this was not the case in the past, but as for current times it doesn't seem to be an issue.

Lemonade

WOOPAGGING
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
wew am check.

Capitalise lowercase

[OVERVIEW]

Honedge's Steel / Ghost typing, good Attack stat, and access to STAB priority allows it to function as a decent offensive check to Fairy- and Psychic-types like Spritzee and Abra. It can also soft check Flying-types like Doduo and Rufflet, though it has to fears Knock Off from the former. It also has a good movepool, which includes good coverage options in Sacred Sword and Rock Slide to complement its STAB moves, Pursuit to trap and KO Abra while being immune to Counter from Focus Sash variants, and Swords Dance to boost its already good Attack stat. However, Honedge's typing is a double-edged sword, as it leaves it weak to common moves like such as Knock Off and Earthquake. In addition, these moves are often run as coverage by Pokemon it would otherwise be able to check, such as Fighting-types like Mienfoo and Rock-types like Dwebble. It also lacks any form of recovery outside of Berry Juice, which in combination with its bad Special Defense leaves it open to being worn down, and its STAB moves have low Base Power and only average coverage, meaning that, (RC) despite its good Attack stat, it's unable to deal significant damage to a big portion of the metagame. Lastly, it faces a lot of competition from other Steel-types like Ferroseed, which has access to Stealth Rock, Spikes, and Thunder Wave, as well as from Pursuit trappers like Alolan Grimer, which has a more power Pursuit thanks to STAB, access to STAB Pursuit and Knock Off, and as well as a great ability in Poison Touch.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Shadow Sneak is a STAB priority move that hits Psychic-types like Abra and Ghost-types like Gastly super effectively, OHKOing Abra and Life Orb Gastly, and as well as Hex Gastly after Stealth Rock. Iron Head is Honedge's most powerful move and hits Fairy- and Rock-types super effectively, 2HKOing Spritzee and Eviolite Snubbull, while Berry Juice Dwebble is OHKOed if its Sturdy is broken. Sacred Sword can be used to hit Steel-types like Pawniard and Ferroseed, both of which can take either of Honedge's STAB moves with ease, super effectively, OHKOing Pawniard and 2HKOing Ferroseed after minor prior damage. Rock Slide is an option to hit Pokemon such as Vullaby and Fire-types like Ponyta and Larvesta, (RC) all of which are otherwise able to check Honedge, (RC) super effectively, which are otherwise able to check Honedge and; (semicolon) it 2HKOes Vullaby and Ponyta after Stealth Rock and OHKOes Larvesta after Stealth Rock. Pursuit can be used to trap frail Pokemon such as like Abra, either knocking them out or significantly weakening them, making it harder for them to do their job,. (comma->period) while Swords Dance boosts Honedge's Attack by two stages, and allows allowing its STAB moves to deal very significant damage to even very bulky Pokemon, as it will 2HKO Mudbray through Stamina, Timburr, and bulky Mienfoo with Iron Head, usually and OHKO Spritzee with Iron Head, (RC) and while 2HKOing Slowpoke with Shadow Sneak.; (period->semicolon) this can give it a good shot at sweeping. Shadow Claw can be used over Shadow Sneak in order to always OHKO Pumpkaboo-XL and nearly always OHKO Slowpoke after Stealth Rock if Honedge has a Swords Dance boost, but due to Honedge's low Speed, Shadow Sneak's priority is usually more valuable.

Set Details
========

Eviolite is usually the item of choice, as in combination with the Special Defense investment, it allows Honedge to always survive one Hidden Power Ground from Life Orb Abra, (RC) and one Dark Pulse from unboosted Nasty Plot Vullaby or,; (comma->semicolon) in combination with the Defense investment, it allows Honedge to survive one Knock Off from non-Life Orb Pawniard or Vullaby (putting all 3 examples into a series puts them all under "in combination with the Special Defense investment). In addition, (AC) the Defense and Special Defense EVs hit Eviolite-optimal numbers. Berry Juice can be used to give Honedge a form of recovery, increasing its longevity slightly. However, it makes but making it usually OHKOed by the aforementioned moves mentioned before. It Berry Juice also synergises synergizes well with Swords Dance, as it can bring Honedge back up to full HP if it takes a hit while setting up. 116 Attack EVs with an Adamant nature allows Honedge to hit as hard as possible, notably 2HKOing Spritzee with Iron Head and usually OHKOing Life Orb Gastly with Shadow Sneak. The leftover EVs are put into HP and Speed to raise both by one point. The Speed EVs notably let it outspeed Spritzee and Snubbull.

Usage Tips
========

Team Options
========

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

A set utilizing both Autotomize and Swords Dance can be used to sweep in the late-game, but Honedge's moves have low Base Power, (AC) and it is still outsped by faster Scarfers like Doduo and Mienfoo even after a boost, meaning that this set is not recommended. Destiny Bond can be used alongside Autotomize in order to take out a Pokemon that would normally get a free KO on Honedge, but it is unreliable and takes up valuable moveslots. A set utilizing RestTalk to give Honedge recovery may seem alluring, but Honedge is not bulky enough to make proper use of it. Magnet Rise can be used to avoid Ground-type moves, but Honedge is too slow to make good use of it (maybe rephrase it to something along the lines of "but it is hard to fully utilize with Honedge's low Speed" so as to not sound repetitive.).

Checks and Counters
===================

Just FYI Eyan "like" is a perfectly acceptable substitute for "such as" in most cases, so while your edits weren't technically incorrect, it isn't necessary to change all the "likes" to "such as". I believe this was not the case in the past, but as for current times it doesn't seem to be an issue.
Flavor-wise, for the first statement of the overview, I like talking about the Pokemon first (ie (Pokemon) is a great (role) thanks to its (stats, typing, etc.).) because 1) readers see the Pokemon's role earlier (which is the interesting part) and 2) it makes the subject of the sentence the Pokemon, instead of one of its attributes. I will begin to copy / paste this message.

Fireflame

Silksong when
is a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Remove Add Comments (AC)= add comma (RC)= remove comma (AH)= add hyphen (RH)= remove hyphen
[OVERVIEW]

Honedge's Steel / Ghost typing, good Attack stat, and access to STAB priority allow it to function as a decent offensive check to Fairy- and Psychic-types like Spritzee and Abra. It can also soft check Flying-types like Doduo and Rufflet, though it fears Knock Off from the former. It Honedge also has a good movepool, which includes good coverage options in Sacred Sword and Rock Slide to complement its STAB moves, Pursuit to trap and KO Abra while being immune to Counter from Focus Sash variants, and Swords Dance to boost its already good Attack stat. However, Honedge's typing is a double-edged sword,(RC) as it (fluff) leaves it Honedge weak to common moves such as Knock Off and Earthquake. In addition, these moves are often run as coverage by Pokemon it would otherwise be able to check, such as Fighting-types like Mienfoo and Rock-types like Dwebble. It Honedge also lacks any form of recovery outside of Berry Juice, which in combination with its bad Special Defense,(AC) leaves it open to being worn down, and its STAB moves have low Base Power and only average coverage, meaning that despite its good Attack stat, it's unable to deal significant damage to a big portion of the metagame. Lastly, it Honedge faces a lot of competition from other Steel-types like Ferroseed, which has access to Stealth Rock, Spikes, and Thunder Wave, as well as Pursuit trappers like Alolan Grimer, which has a more powerful Pursuit thanks to it being STAB, access to STAB Knock Off, and a great ability in Poison Touch.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Shadow Sneak is a STAB priority move that hits Psychic-types such as Abra and Ghost-types such as Gastly super effectively, OHKOing Abra and Life Orb Gastly and Hex Gastly after Stealth Rock. Iron Head is Honedge's most powerful move and hits Fairy- and Rock-types super effectively, 2HKOing Spritzee and Eviolite Snubbull, while Berry Juice Dwebble is OHKOed if its Sturdy is broken. Sacred Sword can be used to hit Steel-types like Pawniard and Ferroseed, both of which can take either of Honedge's STAB moves with ease, super effectively, OHKOing Pawniard and 2HKOing Ferroseed after minor prior damage. Rock Slide is an option to hit Pokemon such as Vullaby and Fire-types like Ponyta and Larvesta super effectively, which are otherwise able to check Honedge; it 2HKOes Vullaby and Ponyta after Stealth Rock and OHKOes Larvesta after Stealth Rock. Pursuit can be used to trap frail Pokemon such as Abra, either knocking them out or significantly weakening them, making it harder for them to do their job. Swords Dance boosts Honedge's Attack by two stages, allowing its STAB moves to deal very significant damage to even very bulky Pokemon, as it will 2HKO Mudbray through Stamina, Timburr, and bulky Mienfoo and OHKO Spritzee with Iron Head while 2HKOing Slowpoke with Shadow Sneak; this can give it a good shot at sweeping. Shadow Claw can be used over Shadow Sneak in order to OHKO Pumpkaboo-XL and nearly always OHKO Slowpoke after Stealth Rock if Honedge has a Swords Dance boost, but due to Honedge's low Speed, Shadow Sneak's priority is usually more valuable.

Set Details
========

Eviolite is usually the item of choice, as in combination with the Special Defense investment, it allows Honedge to always survive one Hidden Power Ground from Life Orb Abra and one Dark Pulse from unboosted Nasty Plot Vullaby; in combination with the Defense investment, it allows Honedge to survive one Knock Off from non-Life Orb Pawniard or and Vullaby. In addition, the Defense and Special Defense EVs hit Eviolite numbers,(AC) which maximizes Honedge's bulk ("hitting Eviolite numbers" doesn't tell the reader much, especially if they aren't familiar with the term). Berry Juice can be used to give Honedge a form of recovery, increasing its longevity slightly but making it usually OHKOed by the aforementioned moves. Berry Juice also synergizes well with Swords Dance, as it can bring Honedge back up to full HP if it takes a hit while setting up. 116 Attack EVs with an Adamant nature allow Honedge to hit as hard as possible, notably 2HKOing Spritzee with Iron Head and usually OHKOing Life Orb Gastly with Shadow Sneak. The leftover EVs are put into HP and Speed to raise both by one point. The Speed EVs notably let it outspeed Spritzee and Snubbull.

Usage Tips
========

Honedge's role compression allows it to do many things for its team depending on what is needed, such as switching into and Pursuit trapping Abra, checking Flying-types like Rufflet and Doduo, and wallbreaking thanks to its high Attack stat and access to Swords Dance. Be careful of Honedge being worn down, as it doesn't have any form of recovery. As such, also try to avoid getting burned, as this will make Honedge significantly weaker and wear it down quickly. Because of this, Honedge should avoid attacking Flame Body users such as Ponyta and Larvesta. Shadow Sneak can be used to revenge kill threats that are weak to Ghost, such as Abra and Gastly, as well as other foes if they are weakened enough. The combination of Shadow Sneak and Pursuit can create mind games in the matchup against Gastly;(add semicolon).(remove period) however, Honedge has to be very careful, as Gastly can easily knock it out if you mispredict. Always try to avoid Knock Off users like Mienfoo and Vullaby,(RC) unless it is to lure them with a super effective coverage move, as Knock Off will not only deal significant damage to it Honedge but also cripple it by removing its item. Honedge has a plethora of resistances, so these should be taken advantage of to get Honedge into play against Pokemon such as Psychic- and Fairy-types. However, it should still be wary of super effective coverage on Pokemon it can otherwise check, such as Abra and Snubbull.

Team Options
========

Honedge should be used on teams that require a check to Psychic-, Fairy-, and Flying-types as well as a Pursuit trapper in only one teamslot. Pokemon that appreciate Honedge checking these synergize well with it; examples include Fighting-types such as Mienfoo and Timburr and Dark-types such as Vullaby and Pawniard. Fighting-types can also switch into the Dark-types that Honedge fears, while Dark-types switch into Ghost-types. Fairy-types like Spritzee and Snubbull appreciate Honedge checking Steel- and Poison-types,(AC) and.(remove period) in return, they can switch into Dark-types for it. Spritzee can also heal Honedge with Wish and remove burns with Aromatherapy. Flying- and Grass-types like Vullaby, Foongus, and Snivy can switch into Ground-types,(AC) and,(RC) in the case of Grass-types, can KO them. Water-types like Chinchou and Mareanie and Rock-types like Onix can switch into the Fire-types that Honedge fears. Rock-types also appreciate Honedge checking Steel-types, while Chinchou can provide Heal Bell support for Honedge. Pokemon that appreciate Honedge Pursuit trapping Abra, such as Fighting-types like Mienfoo and Poison-types like Foongus, pair well with it. Knock Off users like the aforementioned Fighting-types as well as Dark-types like Pawniard and Vullaby can help Honedge by crippling defensive Pokemon by removing their Eviolite, allowing Honedge to wallbreak much more easily.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

A set utilizing both Autotomize and Swords Dance can be used to sweep in the late-game, but Honedge's moves have low Base Power, and it is still outsped by faster Choice Scarfers like Doduo and Mienfoo even after a boost, meaning that this set is not recommended. Destiny Bond can be used alongside Autotomize in order to take out a Pokemon that would normally get a free KO on Honedge, but it is unreliable and takes up valuable moveslots. A set utilizing RestTalk to give Honedge recovery may seem alluring, but Honedge is not bulky enough to make proper use of it. Magnet Rise can be used to avoid Ground-type moves, but it is hard to fully utilize due to Honedge's low Speed.

Checks and Counters
===================
[add line break]
**Dark-types**: While many Dark-types don't switch into Honedge very easily due to Sacred Sword, they significantly threaten it with Knock Off and thus usually force it out. Vullaby can also switch into any of Honedge's moves outside of Rock Slide.

**Fighting-types**: Fighting-types like Mienfoo and Timburr do not take much damage from any of Honedge's moves and can threaten it with Knock Off. Some, such as Timburr and Pancham, can also set up on it.

**Burns**: If Honedge is burned, it is significantly crippled, as it will be unable to do much damage and also gets whittled down. In addition, the Fire- and Water-types that can burn it with Will-O-Wisp and Scald respectively can also easily switch into it. (add examples at the end of this sentence)

**Ground-types**: Honedge has no way of dealing a lot of damage to bulky Ground-types like Mudbray and Hippopotas,(AC) while they can threaten it with their super effective STAB moves.
GP 1/2

Excellent job!

Last edited:

Xayah

San Bwanna
Remove Add Comments (AC)= add comma (RC)= remove comma (AH)= add hyphen (RH)= remove hyphen
[OVERVIEW]

Honedge's Steel / Ghost typing, good Attack stat, and access to STAB priority allow it to function as a decent offensive check to Fairy- and Psychic-types like Spritzee and Abra. It can also soft check Flying-types like Doduo and Rufflet, though it fears Knock Off from the former. It Honedge also has a good movepool, which includes good coverage options in Sacred Sword and Rock Slide to complement its STAB moves, Pursuit to trap and KO Abra while being immune to Counter from Focus Sash variants, and Swords Dance to boost its already good Attack stat. However, Honedge's typing is a double-edged sword,(RC) as it (fluff) leaves it Honedge weak to common moves such as Knock Off and Earthquake. In addition, these moves are often run as coverage by Pokemon it would otherwise be able to check, such as Fighting-types like Mienfoo and Rock-types like Dwebble. It Honedge also lacks any form of recovery outside of Berry Juice, which in combination with its bad Special Defense,(AC) leaves it open to being worn down, and its STAB moves have low Base Power and only average coverage, meaning that despite its good Attack stat, it's unable to deal significant damage to a big portion of the metagame. Lastly, it Honedge faces a lot of competition from other Steel-types like Ferroseed, which has access to Stealth Rock, Spikes, and Thunder Wave, as well as Pursuit trappers like Alolan Grimer, which has a more powerful Pursuit thanks to it being STAB, access to STAB Knock Off, and a great ability in Poison Touch.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Shadow Sneak is a STAB priority move that hits Psychic-types such as Abra and Ghost-types such as Gastly super effectively, OHKOing Abra and Life Orb Gastly and Hex Gastly after Stealth Rock. Iron Head is Honedge's most powerful move and hits Fairy- and Rock-types super effectively, 2HKOing Spritzee and Eviolite Snubbull, while Berry Juice Dwebble is OHKOed if its Sturdy is broken. Sacred Sword can be used to hit Steel-types like Pawniard and Ferroseed, both of which can take either of Honedge's STAB moves with ease, super effectively, OHKOing Pawniard and 2HKOing Ferroseed after minor prior damage. Rock Slide is an option to hit Pokemon such as Vullaby and Fire-types like Ponyta and Larvesta super effectively, which are otherwise able to check Honedge; it 2HKOes Vullaby and Ponyta after Stealth Rock and OHKOes Larvesta after Stealth Rock. Pursuit can be used to trap frail Pokemon such as Abra, either knocking them out or significantly weakening them, making it harder for them to do their job. Swords Dance boosts Honedge's Attack by two stages, allowing its STAB moves to deal very significant damage to even very bulky Pokemon, as it will 2HKO Mudbray through Stamina, Timburr, and bulky Mienfoo and OHKO Spritzee with Iron Head while 2HKOing Slowpoke with Shadow Sneak; this can give it a good shot at sweeping. Shadow Claw can be used over Shadow Sneak in order to OHKO Pumpkaboo-XL and nearly always OHKO Slowpoke after Stealth Rock if Honedge has a Swords Dance boost, but due to Honedge's low Speed, Shadow Sneak's priority is usually more valuable.

Set Details
========

Eviolite is usually the item of choice, as in combination with the Special Defense investment, it allows Honedge to always survive one Hidden Power Ground from Life Orb Abra and one Dark Pulse from unboosted Nasty Plot Vullaby; in combination with the Defense investment, it allows Honedge to survive one Knock Off from non-Life Orb Pawniard or and Vullaby. In addition, the Defense and Special Defense EVs hit Eviolite numbers,(AC) which maximizes Honedge's bulk ("hitting Eviolite numbers" doesn't tell the reader much, especially if they aren't familiar with the term). Berry Juice can be used to give Honedge a form of recovery, increasing its longevity slightly but making it usually OHKOed by the aforementioned moves. Berry Juice also synergizes well with Swords Dance, as it can bring Honedge back up to full HP if it takes a hit while setting up. 116 Attack EVs with an Adamant nature allow Honedge to hit as hard as possible, notably 2HKOing Spritzee with Iron Head and usually OHKOing Life Orb Gastly with Shadow Sneak. The leftover EVs are put into HP and Speed to raise both by one point. The Speed EVs notably let it outspeed Spritzee and Snubbull.

Usage Tips
========

Honedge's role compression allows it to do many things for its team depending on what is needed, such as switching into and Pursuit trapping Abra, checking Flying-types like Rufflet and Doduo, and wallbreaking thanks to its high Attack stat and access to Swords Dance. Be careful of Honedge being worn down, as it doesn't have any form of recovery. As such, also try to avoid getting burned, as this will make Honedge significantly weaker and wear it down quickly. Because of this, Honedge should avoid attacking Flame Body users such as Ponyta and Larvesta. Shadow Sneak can be used to revenge kill threats that are weak to Ghost, such as Abra and Gastly, as well as other foes if they are weakened enough. The combination of Shadow Sneak and Pursuit can create mind games in the matchup against Gastly;(add semicolon).(remove period) however, Honedge has to be very careful, as Gastly can easily knock it out if you mispredict. Always try to avoid Knock Off users like Mienfoo and Vullaby,(RC) unless it is to lure them with a super effective coverage move, as Knock Off will not only deal significant damage to it Honedge but also cripple it by removing its item. Honedge has a plethora of resistances, so these should be taken advantage of to get Honedge into play against Pokemon such as Psychic- and Fairy-types. However, it should still be wary of super effective coverage on Pokemon it can otherwise check, such as Abra and Snubbull.

Team Options
========

Honedge should be used on teams that require a check to Psychic-, Fairy-, and Flying-types as well as a Pursuit trapper in only one teamslot. Pokemon that appreciate Honedge checking these synergize well with it; examples include Fighting-types such as Mienfoo and Timburr and Dark-types such as Vullaby and Pawniard. Fighting-types can also switch into the Dark-types that Honedge fears, while Dark-types switch into Ghost-types. Fairy-types like Spritzee and Snubbull appreciate Honedge checking Steel- and Poison-types,(AC) and.(remove period) in return, they can switch into Dark-types for it. Spritzee can also heal Honedge with Wish and remove burns with Aromatherapy. Flying- and Grass-types like Vullaby, Foongus, and Snivy can switch into Ground-types,(AC) and,(RC) in the case of Grass-types, can KO them. Water-types like Chinchou and Mareanie and Rock-types like Onix can switch into the Fire-types that Honedge fears. Rock-types also appreciate Honedge checking Steel-types, while Chinchou can provide Heal Bell support for Honedge. Pokemon that appreciate Honedge Pursuit trapping Abra, such as Fighting-types like Mienfoo and Poison-types like Foongus, pair well with it. Knock Off users like the aforementioned Fighting-types as well as Dark-types like Pawniard and Vullaby can help Honedge by crippling defensive Pokemon by removing their Eviolite, allowing Honedge to wallbreak much more easily.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

A set utilizing both Autotomize and Swords Dance can be used to sweep in the late-game, but Honedge's moves have low Base Power, and it is still outsped by faster Choice Scarfers like Doduo and Mienfoo even after a boost, meaning that this set is not recommended. Destiny Bond can be used alongside Autotomize in order to take out a Pokemon that would normally get a free KO on Honedge, but it is unreliable and takes up valuable moveslots. A set utilizing RestTalk to give Honedge recovery may seem alluring, but Honedge is not bulky enough to make proper use of it. Magnet Rise can be used to avoid Ground-type moves, but it is hard to fully utilize due to Honedge's low Speed.

Checks and Counters
===================
[add line break]

**Burns**: If Honedge is burned, it is significantly crippled, as it will be unable to do much damage and also gets whittled down. In addition, the Fire- and Water-types that can burn it with Will-O-Wisp and Scald respectively can also easily switch into it. (add examples at the end of this sentence)

**Ground-types**: Honedge has no way of dealing a lot of damage to bulky Ground-types like Mudbray and Hippopotas,(AC) while they can threaten it with their super effective STAB moves.
GP 1/1

Excellent job!
Thanks for the check, implemented. Ready for GP 2/2 (oh btw, you're not 1/1, you're 1/2 :P)

[OVERVIEW]

Honedge's Steel / Ghost typing, good Attack stat, and access to STAB priority allow it to function as a decent offensive check to Fairy- and Psychic-types like Spritzee and Abra. It can also soft check Flying-types like Doduo and Rufflet, though it fears Knock Off from the former. Honedge also has a good movepool, which includes good (redundant) coverage options in Sacred Sword and Rock Slide to complement its STAB moves, Pursuit to trap and KO Abra while being immune to Counter from Focus Sash variants, and Swords Dance to boost its already good Attack stat. However, Honedge's typing is a double-edged sword, as it leaves it weak to common moves such as Knock Off and Earthquake. In addition, these moves are often run as coverage by Pokemon it would otherwise be able to check, such as Fighting-types like Mienfoo and Rock-types like Dwebble. Honedge also lacks any form of recovery outside of Berry Juice, which in combination with its bad Special Defense, leaves it open to being worn down, and its STAB moves have low Base Power and only average coverage, meaning that despite its good Attack stat, it's unable to deal significant damage to a big portion of the metagame. Lastly, Honedge faces a lot of competition from other Steel-types like Ferroseed, which has access to Stealth Rock, Spikes, and Thunder Wave, as well as Pursuit trappers like Alolan Grimer, which has a more powerful Pursuit thanks to it being STAB, access to STAB Knock Off, and a great ability in Poison Touch.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Set Details
========

Eviolite is usually the item of choice, as in combination with the Special Defense investment, it allows Honedge to always survive one Hidden Power Ground from Life Orb Abra and one Dark Pulse from unboosted Nasty Plot Vullaby; in combination with the Defense investment, it allows Honedge to survive one Knock Off from non-Life Orb Pawniard and Vullaby. In addition, the Defense and Special Defense EVs hit Eviolite numbers,(AC) which maximizes Honedge's bulk. Berry Juice can be used to give Honedge a form of recovery, increasing its longevity slightly but leaving making it usually OHKOed by the aforementioned moves. Berry Juice also synergizes well with Swords Dance, as it can bring Honedge back up to full HP if it takes a hit while setting up. 116 Attack EVs with an Adamant nature allow Honedge to hit as hard as possible, notably 2HKOing Spritzee with Iron Head and usually OHKOing Life Orb Gastly with Shadow Sneak. The leftover EVs are put into HP and Speed to raise both by one point. The Speed EVs notably let it outspeed Spritzee and Snubbull.

Usage Tips
========

Honedge's role compression allows it to do many things for its team depending on what is needed, such as switching into and Pursuit trapping Abra, checking Flying-types like Rufflet and Doduo, and wallbreaking thanks to its high Attack stat and access to Swords Dance. Be careful of Honedge being worn down, as it doesn't have any form of recovery. As such, also try to avoid getting burned, as this will make Honedge significantly weaker and wear it down quickly. Because of this, Honedge should avoid attacking Flame Body users such as Ponyta and Larvesta. Shadow Sneak can be used to revenge kill threats that are weak to Ghost, such as Abra and Gastly, as well as other foes if they are weakened enough. The combination of Shadow Sneak and Pursuit can create mind games in the matchup against Gastly; however, Honedge has to be very careful, as Gastly can easily knock it out if you mispredict. Always try to avoid Knock Off users like Mienfoo and Vullaby unless it is to lure them with a super effective coverage move, as Knock Off will not only deal significant damage to Honedge but also cripple it by removing its item. Honedge has a plethora of resistances, so these should be taken advantage of to get Honedge into play against Pokemon such as Psychic- and Fairy-types. However, it should still be wary of super effective coverage on Pokemon it can otherwise check, such as Abra and Snubbull.

Team Options
========

Honedge should be used on teams that require a check to Psychic-, Fairy-, and Flying-types as well as a Pursuit trapper in only one teamslot. Pokemon that appreciate Honedge checking these synergize well with it; examples include Fighting-types such as Mienfoo and Timburr and Dark-types such as Vullaby and Pawniard. Fighting-types can also switch into the Dark-types that Honedge fears, while Dark-types switch into Ghost-types. Fairy-types like Spritzee and Snubbull appreciate Honedge checking Steel- and Poison-types, and in return, they can switch into Dark-types for it. Spritzee can also heal Honedge with Wish and remove burns with Aromatherapy. Flying- and Grass-types like Vullaby, Foongus, and Snivy can switch into Ground-types, and in the case of Grass-types, can KO them. Water-types like Chinchou and Mareanie and Rock-types like Onix can switch into the Fire-types that Honedge fears. Rock-types also appreciate Honedge checking Steel-types, while Chinchou can provide Heal Bell support for Honedge. Pokemon that appreciate Honedge Pursuit trapping Abra with Pursuit, (RC) such as Fighting-types like Mienfoo and Poison-types like Foongus, pair well with it. Knock Off users like the aforementioned Fighting-types as well as Dark-types like Pawniard and Vullaby can help Honedge by crippling defensive Pokemon by removing their Eviolite, allowing Honedge to wallbreak much more easily.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

A set utilizing both Autotomize and Swords Dance can be used to sweep late-game, but Honedge's moves have low Base Power, and it is still outsped by faster Choice Scarfers like Doduo and Mienfoo even after a boost, meaning that this set is not recommended. Destiny Bond can be used alongside Autotomize in order to take out a Pokemon that would normally get a free KO on Honedge, but it is unreliable and takes up valuable moveslots. A set utilizing RestTalk to give Honedge recovery may seem alluring, but Honedge is not bulky enough to make proper use of it. Magnet Rise can be used to avoid Ground-type moves, but it is hard to fully utilize due to Honedge's low Speed.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Fighting-types**: Fighting-types like Mienfoo and Timburr do not take much damage from any of Honedge's moves and can threaten it with Knock Off. Some, such as Timburr and Pancham (doesn't this get hit by Sacred Sword?), can also set up on it.

**Burns**: If Honedge is burned, it is significantly crippled, as it will be unable to do much damage and also gets whittled down. In addition, the Fire- and Water-types that can burn it with Will-O-Wisp and Scald respectively, like Ponyta and Chinchou, (idk what to put here you were just missing an example) can also easily switch into it.

**Ground-types**: Honedge has no way of dealing a lot of damage to bulky Ground-types like Mudbray and Hippopotas, while they can threaten it with their super effective STAB moves.

2/2

Xayah

San Bwanna
[OVERVIEW]

Honedge's Steel / Ghost typing, good Attack stat, and access to STAB priority allow it to function as a decent offensive check to Fairy- and Psychic-types like Spritzee and Abra. It can also soft check Flying-types like Doduo and Rufflet, though it fears Knock Off from the former. Honedge also has a good movepool, which includes good (redundant) coverage options in Sacred Sword and Rock Slide to complement its STAB moves, Pursuit to trap and KO Abra while being immune to Counter from Focus Sash variants, and Swords Dance to boost its already good Attack stat. However, Honedge's typing is a double-edged sword, as it leaves it weak to common moves such as Knock Off and Earthquake. In addition, these moves are often run as coverage by Pokemon it would otherwise be able to check, such as Fighting-types like Mienfoo and Rock-types like Dwebble. Honedge also lacks any form of recovery outside of Berry Juice, which in combination with its bad Special Defense, leaves it open to being worn down, and its STAB moves have low Base Power and only average coverage, meaning that despite its good Attack stat, it's unable to deal significant damage to a big portion of the metagame. Lastly, Honedge faces a lot of competition from other Steel-types like Ferroseed, which has access to Stealth Rock, Spikes, and Thunder Wave, as well as Pursuit trappers like Alolan Grimer, which has a more powerful Pursuit thanks to it being STAB, access to STAB Knock Off, and a great ability in Poison Touch.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Set Details
========

Eviolite is usually the item of choice, as in combination with the Special Defense investment, it allows Honedge to always survive one Hidden Power Ground from Life Orb Abra and one Dark Pulse from unboosted Nasty Plot Vullaby; in combination with the Defense investment, it allows Honedge to survive one Knock Off from non-Life Orb Pawniard and Vullaby. In addition, the Defense and Special Defense EVs hit Eviolite numbers,(AC) which maximizes Honedge's bulk. Berry Juice can be used to give Honedge a form of recovery, increasing its longevity slightly but leaving making it usually OHKOed by the aforementioned moves. Berry Juice also synergizes well with Swords Dance, as it can bring Honedge back up to full HP if it takes a hit while setting up. 116 Attack EVs with an Adamant nature allow Honedge to hit as hard as possible, notably 2HKOing Spritzee with Iron Head and usually OHKOing Life Orb Gastly with Shadow Sneak. The leftover EVs are put into HP and Speed to raise both by one point. The Speed EVs notably let it outspeed Spritzee and Snubbull.

Usage Tips
========

Honedge's role compression allows it to do many things for its team depending on what is needed, such as switching into and Pursuit trapping Abra, checking Flying-types like Rufflet and Doduo, and wallbreaking thanks to its high Attack stat and access to Swords Dance. Be careful of Honedge being worn down, as it doesn't have any form of recovery. As such, also try to avoid getting burned, as this will make Honedge significantly weaker and wear it down quickly. Because of this, Honedge should avoid attacking Flame Body users such as Ponyta and Larvesta. Shadow Sneak can be used to revenge kill threats that are weak to Ghost, such as Abra and Gastly, as well as other foes if they are weakened enough. The combination of Shadow Sneak and Pursuit can create mind games in the matchup against Gastly; however, Honedge has to be very careful, as Gastly can easily knock it out if you mispredict. Always try to avoid Knock Off users like Mienfoo and Vullaby unless it is to lure them with a super effective coverage move, as Knock Off will not only deal significant damage to Honedge but also cripple it by removing its item. Honedge has a plethora of resistances, so these should be taken advantage of to get Honedge into play against Pokemon such as Psychic- and Fairy-types. However, it should still be wary of super effective coverage on Pokemon it can otherwise check, such as Abra and Snubbull.

Team Options
========

Honedge should be used on teams that require a check to Psychic-, Fairy-, and Flying-types as well as a Pursuit trapper in only one teamslot. Pokemon that appreciate Honedge checking these synergize well with it; examples include Fighting-types such as Mienfoo and Timburr and Dark-types such as Vullaby and Pawniard. Fighting-types can also switch into the Dark-types that Honedge fears, while Dark-types switch into Ghost-types. Fairy-types like Spritzee and Snubbull appreciate Honedge checking Steel- and Poison-types, and in return, they can switch into Dark-types for it. Spritzee can also heal Honedge with Wish and remove burns with Aromatherapy. Flying- and Grass-types like Vullaby, Foongus, and Snivy can switch into Ground-types, and in the case of Grass-types, can KO them. Water-types like Chinchou and Mareanie and Rock-types like Onix can switch into the Fire-types that Honedge fears. Rock-types also appreciate Honedge checking Steel-types, while Chinchou can provide Heal Bell support for Honedge. Pokemon that appreciate Honedge Pursuit trapping Abra with Pursuit, (RC) such as Fighting-types like Mienfoo and Poison-types like Foongus, pair well with it. Knock Off users like the aforementioned Fighting-types as well as Dark-types like Pawniard and Vullaby can help Honedge by crippling defensive Pokemon by removing their Eviolite, allowing Honedge to wallbreak much more easily.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Checks and Counters
===================

**Fighting-types**: Fighting-types like Mienfoo and Timburr do not take much damage from any of Honedge's moves and can threaten it with Knock Off. Some, such as Timburr and Pancham (doesn't this get hit by Sacred Sword?), can also set up on it.

**Burns**: If Honedge is burned, it is significantly crippled, as it will be unable to do much damage and also gets whittled down. In addition, the Fire- and Water-types that can burn it with Will-O-Wisp and Scald respectively, like Ponyta and Chinchou, (idk what to put here you were just missing an example) can also easily switch into it.

2/2
Thanks for the check, implemented. This is done now OP

Also, Pancham does not get hit very hard by Sacred Sword as it is not Dark-type yet (yeah, it's weird, it gets the typing on evolving)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)