Other Metagames [AAA] The voltturning Belly-Drummerboys

|
|
|
|
|

Introduction

This is a Team I made for Almost Any Ability. This team is built around an Unburden Belly Drum Kommo-o and the VoltTurn core of Landorus and Rotom-W for gaining momentum wich is needed for setting up Kommo-o.

The Team

Landorus-Therian @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Trace
EVs: 252 HP / 124 Atk / 128 Def / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- U-turn
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Knock Off
A pretty standard defensive lead Landorus. It's already a good lead with Intimidate in OU, but with Trace it is an even better lead, having nearly always the right answer to the opposing lead. If the opponent leads with a prankster user, Landorus traces Prankster, so that it outspeeds the opponent's prankster taunt and gets the rocks down. If the opponent has Magic Bounce, it traces it, preventing the opponent from laying down his entry hazards too.
Generally, it's extremely nice and also important to know the opponent's pokemon's ability before it triggers in AAA, since there are so many different abilities around, and without trace you won't know what ability the opponent uses until it is triggered - by your Stealth Rock bounced back by Magic Bounce, the Volt Switch fired straight into a Volt Absorb Celesteela and the Earthquake fired into a levitating Heatran.

U-Turn provides momentum, and lets Landorus form a VoltTurn core with Rotom, Earthquake is the obligatory STAB, and allows me to kill RegenVest Magearnas and does nice damage to other mons.
Knock-Off is for removing the opponent's items, especially Eviolithes and Toxic Orbs from Poison Heal mons - thanks to Trace, I know that they're Poison Healers before their Toxic Orb activates.

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Pain Split
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Will-O-Wisp
This Washing Machine is also really nice, when used with Regenartor in AAA. It has great synergy with Landorus, being resistant to Water and Ice, Landorus's weaknesses, while Landorus is immune to ground.
Regenerator allows it to take a hit, and then Volt Switch out to bring an approriate check or to bring Kommo-o for setting up with Belly Drum.
Will-O-Wisp weakens opposing physical attackers on the switch-in, Hydro Pump is, sadly, its only water STAB option, and Pain Split is for additional recovery.

Genesect @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Refrigerate
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Extreme Speed
- U-turn
- Gunk Shot
- Zen Headbutt
Genesect is the team's primary revenge killer, removing threats such as Airilate Noivern, Refrigerate Weavile, Alakazam or any other dragons.
Extremespeed is boosted by Refrigerate and OHKOs most dragons and other ice-weak pokemon, while doing nice damage to others.
U-Turn is for momentum and to kill psychic types like Alakazam, Gunk Shot hits Fairies like Tapu Lele and Clefable, and Zen Headbutt hits poison types like Gengar, Toxapex, Venusaur...
The EVs are for maximum physical attack and speed, the hasty nature is fixed because of Extreme Speed.

Kommo-o @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Unburden
EVs: 164 HP / 52 Def / 200 Atk / 92 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Claw
- Belly Drum
- Earthquake
- Brick Break
This is the main sweeper. After a successful setup, it outspeeds pretty much everything, including Scarfchomp and non-scarf Pheromosa and OHKOs everything that's not unaware and not weak to one of its moves.
Belly Drum is the chosen setup move, it cuts down 50% of the HP to maximize attack, which triggers the Sitrus Berry, which then triggers Unburden, giving me +6 Attack and +2 Speed after just one single turn of setup. However, this setup can be done only once, so that using it at the right moment is important.
Dragon Claw is chosen over Outrage, since the strength doesn't matter after a Belly Drum and it doesn't lock and doesn't confuse Kommo-o.
Brick break was chosen over Sky Uppercut due to its higher accuracy - again, the difference in strength doesn't matter.
Earthquake is the third move, hitting unaware Toxapexes super-effective and providing some form of coverage.
However, most of the time I use DC or Brick Break due to the lack of abilites that provide immunity against dragon/fighting, while there are some Levitate users around like Muk, Toxapex or Heatran.
The EVs are chosen to outspeed Scarfchomp while having some bulk to make the setup easier.

Skarmory @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 252 HP / 232 Def / 24 Spe
Impish Nature
- Roost
- Spikes
- Whirlwind
- Brave Bird
The armored bird stops opposing sweepers like Belly Drum Kommo-o or Chestnaught, SD Kartana or Bulu and others while providing Entry Hazard and Phazing support. It also has great synergy with Rotom and Landorus due to providing a double grass resistance for them while being only weak to electric and fire, which are resisted by Rotom and Landorus.
Roost serves as its recovery to stay healthy, Spikes are additional entry hazards which can be easily brought onto the field against an opposing physical sweeper lacking a strong enough super-effective hit, Whirlwind is for phazing and maximizing Entry Hazard damage, and Brave Bird is its offensive attacking move to do damage when being taunted and to kill stuff like Chestnaught.
The Rocky Helmet is chosen for additional chip damage and to punish U-Turns and Rapid Spins.

Volcanion @ Assault Vest
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 248 HP / 200 SpA / 52 SpD
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Steam Eruption
- Fire Blast
- Earth Power
- Sludge Wave
Finally, there is Volcanion. I'm really unsure what pokemon fits best into this slot, currently I use this Volcanion set.
Thanks to Magic Guard it doesn't get any Stealth Rock damage, allowing me to run Whirlwind over Defog on Skarmory, since the other mons aren't very vulnerable to entry hazards. It also brings the otherwise missing fire coverage for my team, so that I can hit Volt Absorb Celesteelas and Skarmorys super-effectively.
The Assault Vest improves its special bulk, so that Heatran's Earth Power is only a 3HKO most of the time. With its powerful STAB moves coming from 130 base SpAtt, it hits really hard, and also carries a nice burn chance with Steam Eruption. Using no Choice Specs allows me to bluff them to lure in Tapu Fini and fire types and hit them for super-effective damage.
Steam Eruption and Fire Blast are the main stabs, while Slude Wave hits Tapu Fini which likes to switch in against Volcanion and Earth Power hits Flash Fire steels and Desolate Land Fire mons super-effectively.

Conclusion
When Kommo-o was set up successfully, it can 6:0 a lot of teams or at least weaken them severely. However, sometimes the opponent has an unaware tank or airilate/refrigerate priority. Such mons have to be weakened/defeated before Kommo-o can attempt a sweep. Sometimes, it's even enough to do the setup to remove one of the opposing mons, since the opponent has to sacrifice one mon to bring in the priority user safely.
Spreading burns with Will-o-Miss and Steam Eruption really helps, since most priority moves are physical.

Some major threats to my team are, however:
  • Desolate Land Volcarona: If I couldn't lay out rocks or they got removed with Defog or Rapid Spin, Desolate Land Volcarona can be a huge threat, since I have no flying or rock type move in my team. However, Volcanion may be able to weaken it enough with Fire Blast to finish it up with Genesect, or even kill it.
  • Psychic Terrain Alakazam: I usually have to sac a mon to kill it with Genesect's U-Turn. And sometimes sacrificing a mon really hurts for me, since it may create a new huge weakness.
  • Mega Charizard Y: No problems when Stealth Rocks are up, but if they aren't or it is a lead mon and has Earth/Rock coverage, it may be difficult to defeat since Volcanion is hit super-effectively by those moves and may not kill it with Steam Eruption due to it being weakened by the sun.
  • Mega Gyarados: Mold Breaker ignores Skarmory's Unaware, but it is weak to Kommo-o's Brick Break who resists both Dark and Water, being able to check it or even set up on it, also depending on the coverage moves. It is also shut down by a burn from Volcanion or Rotom.
Stall can be annyoing, but in my experience never was really problematic. Rotom gets indirect recovery with Regenerator, and Landorus too, if it can trace Regenerator, and Kommo-o can turn into a wall breaker after the opponent's unaware mon has been weaken enough or if it is weak to one of Kommo-o's moves.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)