SPOILERS! General Pokémon Anime Discussion

For some reason, today's Evolution reminded me somewhat a Digi-Evolution.

It was quite neat, but I still feel that Serena's Eevee's Evolution is still the best handled and visually appealing Evolution of all the anime, alongside Metapod's. The emotional impact, what with that crystal-like ribbon wrapping around Serena's arm, was truly touching, and I doubt it will be triumphed any time soon.

For some reason, today's Evolution reminded me somewhat a Digi-Evolution.

It was quite neat, but I still feel that Serena's Eevee's Evolution is still the best handled and visually appealing Evolution of all the anime, alongside Metapod's. The emotional impact, what with that crystal-like ribbon wrapping around Serena's arm, was truly touching, and I doubt it will be triumphed any time soon.
Actually that evolution was reminiscent of 90s magical girl transformations.

Im a big fan of the Mahou Shoujo genre so this blew my mind.

Last edited:
Next episode will focus more on Sophocles. Does anyone here like him at all? He feels like an expy of Clemont with the Electric specialty and interest in robotics. His Japanese voice sounds quite obnoxious, but we may find out if it fits his characterization or not very soon.

Also, does the 4kids dubbed anime still fully belong to TPCi, or does Disney XD partially own it? The Unova and Kalos sagas still felt like 4kids dubs with the elevator-like string track that company typically used. Other than the localized opening, this dub might get more crap past the radar! Yee

Since Tsareena is my favorite gen 7 Pokémon, I was really happy to see how cute and awesome and amazing Steenee was. The evolution was awesome, and although it was kinda easy to know it was coming, it was also my favorite evolution ever in Pokémon anime.

I like how they are giving each of the secondary characters their own episodes, helping us to understand better each and every one of them, their families, motivations and whatnot. Being less centered around Ash is giving new flavors to these episodes.

Next episode will focus more on Sophocles. Does anyone here like him at all? He feels like an expy of Clemont with the Electric specialty and interest in robotics. His Japanese voice sounds quite obnoxious, but we may find out if it fits his characterization or not very soon.
I quite like Sophocles, but maybe it's because I didn't like Clemont. His interest in robotics seem more theoretical than practical, meaning he won't create a thing before being sure it'll work. Clemont's fails were kinda boring after the second or third time, you knew it would happen. Granted, I haven't watched anything past the first ten episodes of XY (I'm catching up on the other seasons before reaching that point) but I like the way Sophocles is smart, lively and I like his design better.

I'm anxious to see his life.

Actually that evolution was reminiscent of 90s magical girl transformations.

Im a big fan of the Mahou Shoujo genre so this blew my mind.
As a Sailor Moon,Rayearth, Sakura and Corrector Yui fan, I totally agree with you.

Also, does the 4kids dubbed anime still fully belong to TPCi, or does Disney XD partially own it? The Unova and Kalos sagas still felt like 4kids dubs with the elevator-like string track that company typically used. Other than the localized opening, this dub might get more crap past the radar! Yee
Sophocles hasn't impressed me much. SM006 was severely lacking. I'm hoping they emphasize his knowledge of Electric types more to differentiate him from Clemont, who was a gym leader that used Electric types but was more of an inventor. I did enjoy him in SM018 though.

So far it seems like all of the character introduction episodes have had Ash as a catalyst for us to get attached to characters. I'm hoping future character episodes mirror that of SM014, where Ash takes a back seat and we get to see said character shine on their own. It's why Lillie so far is the best character.

As a side note, I do enjoy the fillers we're getting this time round. Instead of focusing on random COTD who we'll never see, we're instead focusing on bringing out development in existing characters. So much better than before.

Oh, and TPCi still owns it. Disney just brought the rights to air Pokemon.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
For those wondering about Bounsweet's evolution:
Not so sure about it being Digimon/Sailor Moon-esque, though it does certainly show more of the body morphing than previous ones did which was done under a silhouette of light.

Though I can just see them using its face slapping in a lot of comedic moments.

3 new dub titles have been revealed:
Episode 3: Loading the Dex! (April 1 on Teletoon)
Episode 4: First Catch in Alola, Ketchum-style! (Airdate unknown)
Episode 5: Yo, Ho, Ho! Go, Popplio! (Airdate unknown)

SM019 was good.

Really disliked how once again Ash jumped off an extremely large height to try and save something. It lessens the impact when he keeps f***ing doing it.

Also am concerned for the floating Pokemon in SM020's trailer. Please don't make Ash a special snowflake.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Really disliked how once again Ash jumped off an extremely large height to try and save something. It lessens the impact when he keeps f***ing doing it.
Didn't he once jump into Team Rocket's balloon as well? When it was several dozen meters above the ground?

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Haven't actually seen the Manaphy movie but I did hear that Ash stole the spotlight from May.

Just one more to add to Ash's repertoire of super powers!
Yeah, a lot of the movie is focused on May and her mother-daughter relationship with Manaphy (Manaphy hatched from its Egg and May was the first one it saw, they pretty much copied what happened with Misty & Togepi). Not that Ash doesn't have anything to do in the movie, he has a sort of side arc of admiring a cool, action-hero Pokemon Ranger which is one of the characters-of-the-day. When people say Ash stole the spotlight they mean during the final act of the movie, basically there's this floating underwater temple which Manaphy can find which holds something called the Sea Crown and whoever "wears" it becomes "King of the Sea". The main villain wants the Sea Crown and we eventually find out the Sea Crown is actually a crystal structure that's keeping the temple afloat. Main villain tries taking some of the crystals, temple starts to sink, and Ash & May (& Manaphy) end up trapped. Luckily main villain dropped the crystal he got away with and it winds up floating down an aqueduct passing Ash & May. Ash has May, Manaphy, and Pikachu go into a pod the main villain used to get to the underwater temple but he closes it before he gets in deciding to risk his life to put the crystal back which he does after a pretty neat action scene.

Anyway the pod takes May, Manaphy, and Pikachu back to the surface where they're picked up by everyone else. The main villain then surfs by on a jet ski and takes Manaphy. That's when the above scene happens. The "King of the Sea" is actually more of a power, it creates a yellow aura around a person which lets them breath underwater and fly rapidly through the water. Ash uses the power to help defeat the main villain and at the end of the movie all the protagonists are using the "King of the Sea" power to play around a bit before we get our final goodbyes, especially focusing on May and Manaphy (the movie build-up May knowing she would eventually have to leave Manaphy so it can guard the temple which gave use some drama scenes happening, yata yata).

So yeah, he does steal the spotlight though it isn't exactly out of no where. If anything its more that May got sidelined, had May helped Ash during the climax like Dawn did during the "Rise of Darkrai" I don't think anyone would say Ash took the spotlight away.

Besides the Ash trying to commit suicide again (that wouldn't be necessary if Pikachu just entered his damn ball), the episode was really nice and the battle was epic. It was nice to see they acknowledging the difference in power between Ash's Pikachu and their tie and the other Pokémon. Also, the way they are doing it, it'll make a whole lot of sense when Pikachu suddenly learns a new Z-Move.

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Turned on the TV to see if Star Wars Rebels was on, and apparently the Magearna movie is playing on Disney XD. So I'm gonna watch that now and post my thoughts later.

EDIT: God this movie is infuriating. It's condescending, doesn't let you breath, and is full of bullshit.

EDIT 2: Be careful what you wish for; the plot has come to a screeching halt.

Last edited:
Turned on the TV to see if Star Wars Rebels was on, and apparently the Magearna movie is playing on Disney XD. So I'm gonna watch that now and post my thoughts later.

EDIT: God this movie is infuriating. It's condescending, doesn't let you breath, and is full of bullshit.

EDIT 2: Be careful what you wish for; the plot has come to a screeching halt.
I haven't watched it but thanks for saving me from watching. Only XY movie I saw was Diancie and eh, it was a chore, much like half of XY and XYZ.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
The movie didn't really leave any impact on me. At first I actually found it kind of funny how Ash really didn't have any involvement, he was just being dragged around and being a spectator. Of course than he and the rest of the crew started taking an active role and it went into being a typical Pokemon movie.
I kind of like Volcanion. Yeah, he's another Legendary who hates humans because he takes care of abandoned Pokemon as well as having to deal with poachers, but he's noble and is willing to do anything to protect the Pokemon of the valley he protects (and eventually gets over his human hate, at least for Ash & co. and the Azoth royal family).
Magearna though had very little character or at least her character wasn't well defined. It was funny when it was acting a bit sassy toward Volcanion though outside that moment it felt like it didn't have much to do (not mentioning the part where it was just the Soul Heart).
Azoth Kingdom was a cool location, liked the princess for what parts she was involved in, the prince I guess I felt sympathy for even if it was a bit cliche, and the villain was just an evil chancellor-like character so mostly forgettable. Admittedly he was pretty evil, almost cartoony, with how he painfully brainwashes & forces multiple Pokemon to Mega Evolve, tries to destroy the valley with the Soul Heart to crush Magearna's spirit, and tried to kill everyone (though makes you wonder why he didn't off the prince when he had the chance).
Finally the battle atop the castle with Ash & co.'s Pokemon versing all the "evil" Mega Evolutions was a fun and action-packed moment even though I would still think Ash & co.'s forces would have been squashed (I guess you could go with the excuse that since the Pokemon were forced to Mega Evolve they didn't receive the full power boost of Mega Evolution?). At least Ash-Greninja and Squishy/Zygarde got got look cool, especially when Squishy/Zygarde went 100% to block the Soul Heart blast.
I would give it a 6/10, above average. Nothing wrong with it, just nothing that leaves an impression. I'm here struggling to remember details, looking through Serebii's images to remind me how the story progressed.

The movie didn't really leave any impact on me. At first I actually found it kind of funny how Ash really didn't have any involvement, he was just being dragged around and being a spectator. Of course than he and the rest of the crew started taking an active role and it went into being a typical Pokemon movie.
I kind of like Volcanion. Yeah, he's another Legendary who hates humans because he takes care of abandoned Pokemon as well as having to deal with poachers, but he's noble and is willing to do anything to protect the Pokemon of the valley he protects (and eventually gets over his human hate, at least for Ash & co. and the Azoth royal family).
Magearna though had very little character or at least her character wasn't well defined. It was funny when it was acting a bit sassy toward Volcanion though outside that moment it felt like it didn't have much to do (not mentioning the part where it was just the Soul Heart).
Azoth Kingdom was a cool location, liked the princess for what parts she was involved in, the prince I guess I felt sympathy for even if it was a bit cliche, and the villain was just an evil chancellor-like character so mostly forgettable. Admittedly he was pretty evil, almost cartoony, with how he painfully brainwashes & forces multiple Pokemon to Mega Evolve, tries to destroy the valley with the Soul Heart to crush Magearna's spirit, and tried to kill everyone (though makes you wonder why he didn't off the prince when he had the chance).
Finally the battle atop the castle with Ash & co.'s Pokemon versing all the "evil" Mega Evolutions was a fun and action-packed moment even though I would still think Ash & co.'s forces would have been squashed (I guess you could go with the excuse that since the Pokemon were forced to Mega Evolve they didn't receive the full power boost of Mega Evolution?). At least Ash-Greninja and Squishy/Zygarde got got look cool, especially when Squishy/Zygarde went 100% to block the Soul Heart blast.
I would give it a 6/10, above average. Nothing wrong with it, just nothing that leaves an impression. I'm here struggling to remember details, looking through Serebii's images to remind me how the story progressed.
So for the eyes of someone who didn't watch that movie... is it spamming Mega Evolutions for fan pandering in a similar way as to Hoopa's movie did with legendaries?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)