SM OU Listen to your Soul Heart, a TR Magearna + MMawile Offense (Peaked 1901 #14 so far)

The team:

Before MMawile came out I was playing a lot of TR and was super hyped to make a TR team with MMawile. I couldn't make it work. With standalone TR Magearna being super good I added a slow MMawile and kept building from there.​

Magearna @ Fairium Z
Ability: Soul-Heart
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Trick Room
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Flash Cannon
- Fleur Cannon

The set I was using on my TR teams. It's fairly straight forward, min speed and 0 speed IVs to be as slow as possible for Trick Room, this lets us invest into hp with makes this thing fairly bulky, allowing it to survive things like EQ from a deffensive lando-t every time, EQ from an offensive lando-t 30% of the time, Choice Scarf Garchomp's EQ and Ash-Gren's Hydro Pump.
Z-Fleur Cannon is a heavy nuke that easily ohkoes anything that's not too bulky on a neutral hit. HP Fire hits steel types that resist both stabs, it destroys MSciz, heavily dents Ferrothorn and is a 2hko together with Twinkle Tackle on Mega Metagross nearly every single time at 100% and everytime after rocks.​

Mawile @ Mawilite
Ability: Hyper Cutter
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Def
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Sucker Punch
- Play Rough
- Thunder Punch
- Fire Fang

The other Trick Room component. This puppy allows you to make use of your Trick Room turns if Magearna were to die before they end. Min speed and 0 speed IVs are to make the most out of Trick Room. The hp lets it take hits much better overall and survive specs Hydro Pump 100% of the time from Greninja before it's Ash-Gren.
I'm running 4 attacks because its job is to sweep under TR and not to break things. Thunder Punch and Fire Fang are there to hit most of the things that resist Play Rough. Sucker Punch allows Mawile to remain a threat against faster Pokémon even when Trick Room is down.

The idea of the team so far was to get Trick Room up safely and sweep. Because of this I wanted spikes and something to weaken bulky Steel Types that could give both my TR mons some trouble. Brokean Greninja does both.

Greninja (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Protean
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Spikes
- Water Shuriken
- Gunk Shot
- Hidden Power [Fire]

There's not much to say about this set. Spikes, Gunk Shot and HP Fire are as standard as it gets, allowing greninja to get up hazards and beat some of the most common hazard removers and most common switchins to Ash-Gren. Originally I was considering Hydro Pump for heatran or Ice Beam because it's the standard set for a reason but in the end I chose Water Shuriken because my team ended up being too weak to DD Lando and Pheromosa.

Landorus-Therian @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 248 HP / 208 Def / 28 SpD / 24 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Next thing were rocks. Landorus-T provided my team not only with Stealth Rock but also a way to heavily dent opposing Landorus to help MMawile and let Magearna kill them for sure without having to use the Z-Move. It also gave me a good ground immunity which helped because my team was really weak to ground so far and an electric immunity too. Intimidate is also really good because it allows Magearna to set up a Trick Room against things like offensive Lando-T, or banded Zygarde. Rocky Helmet also helps chipping MMetagross for the rest of the team.
The EV spread is really standard. 28 SpD evs allow it to survive lo hp ice from Koko every time. The speed is there to speed creep over other Landorus and hp ice them before they do. You can also run a relaxed nature to get slow u-turns instead of hp ices. In that case the speed evs would go into Deffense, unless you want to speed creep over other Relaxed Landorus.

Next I wanted something that could switch into special attacks, made me not insta lose to Pheromosa and was a ground immunity, because so far Lando-T was very pressured if the opponent had something like a Scarf Garchomp. Originally I thought of AV Tornadus-T for this, and while it had good coverage, good utility in knock off and gave momentum with U-Turn, I ended up too weak to things like Greninja, Pheromosa and Keldeo. That's why I ended up using Mantine.

Mantine @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Scald
- Toxic
- Roost
- Defog

This thing is much better than I thought it'd be. It stops most Keldeo sets, Volcarona, most Pheromosa sets, it can try to get a last ditch effort burn on Mega Metagross if it's not using Thunder Punch. Defog might seem weird because I'm also using spikes but it can be a life saver allowing Magearna to survive an attack and set up Trick Room. Toxic is really good because this team is not too fast so sometimes your way to deal with a setup sweeper is to toxic it and stall it with roost and sacking other mons until MMawile's Sucker Punch kills so they can't play 50/50s and stall you out of Suckers.

Zygarde @ Leftovers
Ability: Aura Break
EVs: 240 HP / 212 SpD / 56 Spe
Careful Nature
- Substitute
- Coil
- Thousand Arrows
- Toxic

Last, but most definitely not least, I wanted to not auto lose to stall, and having another electric immunity that can take Koko's hp ice and kill it back is always good. This thing is a monster. The set is the one on the Smogon Analysis. Can beat many stall builds by itself and it also puts in a lot of work in other matchups weakening things for a sweep, poisoning to beat setup sweepers the same way I described with Mantine. This thing also gave me another check to many of the things that Mantine switched into, taking a lot of pressure off it, like Zard-Y, Scarf Keld or Volcarona.

I'm really happy with how the team ended up. Both The TR component of the team and Gren/Zygarde can sweep or break for the other component to sweep, so you can plan ahead to see what you're going to do.​

This thing can be a pain to deal with. Both electric immunities get hit x4 by hp ice, and even if they take it if they're at full hp they don't appreciate it at all. This team can't switch into this thing propperly if it's running a more offensive set. If it's running taunt it can also be annoying as it can deny Trick Room from going up. Hazards and Water Shuriken can take care of it, but it's probably going to do heavy damage before going down.

You can't switch into this monster and the one thing that outspeeds it can't ohko it. Mantine can take one hit and weaken it for gren or maybe get a lucky burn and beat it 1v1.

The only two grass resists are slower and don't appreciate taking a hit from this. Not much else to say. Try to double switch into gren when you think it's coming out or chip it with hazards + rocky helmet. Magearna can take an All out Pummeling at +1 and setup Trick Room to beat it.

Same as bulu, the only two resist are really slow and don't appreciate taking two hits, plus it can taunt Magearna and deny a Trick Room, HP Fire for quite a lot of damage and if it runs Psyshock Mantine drops to this thing.

This team has no way to hit this hard. Hazards, getting a burn with Mantine or setting up on it with Zygarde can all work, but it's still hard to take down.

Magearna can't touch this thing, MMawile doesn't hurt it too much with TPunch and neither does Greninja with Water Shuriken. You can chip it with hazards and trade Mantine to chip it with scalds to get it in range of either Shuriken or Thunder Punch. Both Landorus and Zygarde can take any hit and OHKO back but them staying in is not the most likely thing to happen.

All 3 things that hit it hard on this team can't switch into in without risking the burn. There's not much else to say about it. Hazards can help to deal with it and if Zygarde can come in without getting burned or poisoned by TSpikes you can sub on it.

I've considered are using Hydro Pump/Ice beam over Water Shuriken on gren to better deal with Heatran/Zygarde, which would make me much much weaker to Pheromosa and DD Lando, and Extrasensory over Spikes for Toxapex and Venusar, which would also make Defog better as I wouldn't be taking my own Spikes away.

Other change I've thought about is
>
It helps a lot with Koko, but is weaker to things like Pheromosa, Heatran or Zard-Y. I might try it more extensively when Pheromosa gets suspected.

I've also considered running 14 speed IVs on MMawile to outspeed Toxapex outside of TR because I'm not going to be setting up TR against stall, but it would make the team a bit worse to Toxapex Offense, as Toxapex can stop MMawile under TR if it gets a burn.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-549754839 Defog lets Magearna put in work.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-550142433 Zygarde beats a bad offense team by itself.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-550245586 Magearna weakens a team for Greninja to sweep.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-550439592 Zygod beats offense again.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-551004616 Gastrodon version of the team.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-547755631 Torn-T version of the team.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-547884587 Toxic Stalling a threat until Sucker Punch wins.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-547871844 Magearna breaks a team into Suker Punch Sweep.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-551222558 Tricky TR stuff with Magearna

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-550917432 Defog comes in clutch + Toxic stalling in action.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-550121639 vs Balancy thingy with MVenusaur

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-547879316 vs Shed Stall

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-550493078 TR + Toxic Stalling runs through Webs HO

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-550992035 Magearna casually destroys sash spam HO.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-547838626 Mantine the God vs Grease Fire HO

Mawile @ Mawilite
Ability: Hyper Cutter
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Def
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Sucker Punch
- Play Rough
- Thunder Punch
- Fire Fang

Magearna @ Fairium Z
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Trick Room
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Flash Cannon
- Fleur Cannon

Greninja (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Protean
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Spikes
- Water Shuriken
- Gunk Shot
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Landorus-Therian @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 248 HP / 208 Def / 28 SpD / 24 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Mantine @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Toxic
- Roost
- Defog

Zygarde @ Leftovers
Ability: Aura Break
EVs: 240 HP / 212 SpD / 56 Spe
Careful Nature
- Substitute
- Coil
- Thousand Arrows
- Toxic

So this is the team. I hoped you enjoyed the read and the team. Any suggestions to improve it would be really appreciated.​

Attachments

Last edited:
I think if you switch Mantine for pelipper it would benefit your team way more, halving Fire damage for mawile and magearna while also boosting greninja's water shuriken, Pelipper can also run Defog as well and is fairly good vs keldeo even though keldeo is irrelevant as of this meta.

Empo

is a Tutor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis the Smogon Tour Season 30 Championis the Smogon Tour Season 33 Championwon the 17th Official Smogon Tournamentis a Two-Time Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Championis a Former Smogon Metagame Tournament Circuit Championis a Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
World Defender
hey GBlade!

I was thinking about changing something on your team, like Trick Room Magearna, that I don't really like to be honest because there's just 1 pokemon who gets advantages from that and that is Mega Mawile. I know that it's strong under trick room and stuff, but the others mates as Greninja won't appreciate Trick Room.

Firstly, I thought about making a Magearna + Mawile offense without Trick Room. I know that your version works as well, and I got your gameplan, like you set hazards and then sweep yeah that can work, but I think this version can be better so you don't have to rely on Trick Room everytime.
Set could be this, since you are extremely weak to Tapu Koko and Tapu Lele, so this will help for sure!

Magearna @ Assault Vest
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 Spe
Modest Nature
- Volt Switch
- Flash Cannon
- Fleur Cannon
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Secondly, I'd like to add Swords Dance on Mega Mawile over Fire Fang or Thunder Punch, as you wish. To be honest, I suggest you to drop Thunder Punch in order to hit steels better. I added some EVs speed since without Trick Room you gotta outspeed something.

Mawile-Mega @ Mawilite
EVs: 72 HP / 252 Atk / 184 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Play Rough
- Sucker Punch
- Fire Fang

Finally, with these changes, I don't see potential threats bar mamoswine, but you can play around it. I mean, every team has its threats and I don't feel like changing 3+ mons while having other threats. I like the team how it is and I didn't do a lot of changes, because I see this is a strong one. I just wanted to point out the Troom thing while covering Tapu Koko and Tapu Lele by adding AV Magearna and then SD Mawile as a potential sweeper. Obviously, grats for your peak and good luck with the team man!

hey GBlade!

I was thinking about changing something on your team, like Trick Room Magearna, that I don't really like to be honest because there's just 1 pokemon who gets advantages from that and that is Mega Mawile. I know that it's strong under trick room and stuff, but the others mates as Greninja won't appreciate Trick Room.

Firstly, I thought about making a Magearna + Mawile offense without Trick Room. I know that your version works as well, and I got your gameplan, like you set hazards and then sweep yeah that can work, but I think this version can be better so you don't have to rely on Trick Room everytime.
Set could be this, since you are extremely weak to Tapu Koko and Tapu Lele, so this will help for sure!

Magearna @ Assault Vest
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 Spe
Modest Nature
- Volt Switch
- Flash Cannon
- Fleur Cannon
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Secondly, I'd like to add Swords Dance on Mega Mawile over Fire Fang or Thunder Punch, as you wish. To be honest, I suggest you to drop Thunder Punch in order to hit steels better. I added some EVs speed since without Trick Room you gotta outspeed something.

Mawile-Mega @ Mawilite
EVs: 72 HP / 252 Atk / 184 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Play Rough
- Sucker Punch
- Fire Fang

Finally, with these changes, I don't see potential threats bar mamoswine, but you can play around it. I mean, every team has its threats and I don't feel like changing 3+ mons while having other threats. I like the team how it is and I didn't do a lot of changes, because I see this is a strong one. I just wanted to point out the Troom thing while covering Tapu Koko and Tapu Lele by adding AV Magearna and then SD Mawile as a potential sweeper. Obviously, grats for your peak and good luck with the team man!
Thanks for the suggestions! I think you underestimate Trick Room though. It's quite easy to get it up reliably and both Magearna and Mawile exploit it.
It's also possible to break with Trick Room and sweep with Gren/Zygarde deppending on the mathcup.

I do agree that the assault vest on Magearna can help against Koko and Lele.

I just tried this team out. It's good very effective but I feel like Greninja is not pulling it's weight very well. I would personally replace spikes or water shuriken for Hydro Pump. Some pokemon like Nidoking or Goodra, you know good special coverage are a real threat to this team.
Nidoking especially knocks every thing down on this team. Greninja's water shuriken is not enough to beat it. And it outspeeds and OHKOs everything else.

I just tried this team out. It's good very effective but I feel like Greninja is not pulling it's weight very well. I would personally replace spikes or water shuriken for Hydro Pump. Some pokemon like Nidoking or Goodra, you know good special coverage are a real threat to this team.
Nidoking especially knocks every thing down on this team. Greninja's water shuriken is not enough to beat it. And it outspeeds and OHKOs everything else.
I've already considered taking Spikes out because it doesn't synergize well with Defog.
Water Shuriken was mainly for Pheromosa and DD Lando, while also being somehow decent for Volcarona and some scarfers. Given that DD Lando is no longer that common and Pheromosa is getting suspected right now and banned pretty soon I would go for Pump>Shuriken which also makes Gren a bigger threat and let it take Heatran out for Magearna/MMawile to sweep.

About Nidoking and Goodra, while I am decently weak to those two mons they're not used enough for that to be a real problem, and Greninja still scares out Nidoking and eventually hazards+shuriken can kill, and if not Sucker Punch can clean it up.

Thanks for the input though!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)