SM OU King's Court

King's Court

Introduction
This is my first "real" team that I've ever tried building. When I first started Pokemon, I just played for fun, I never joined the competitive scene, until Sun and Moon. I've dealt with a few bugs of the team, including the complete replacement of one member. The team still has trouble against teams with many legendaries or powerful mons.

Team Building

Recently, in X, I bred a nearly perfect shiny Greninja. The only thing it was missing: Special Attack EVs. I was actually about to cry; it had taken almost 1000 eggs. But then I thought, why can't I make a physical set? So the idea of this team was made. I scoured the internet, looking for any helpful ideas, and I saw a set that involved King's Rock. I decided to go with that for maximum shenanigans.

Next, I wanted to pick up a good wall, and one of my favorite walls to date remains Gliscor. With such a powerful typing and ability, as well as access to rocks and roost, I though it would fit in well.

Next I decided to pull in Volcarona as a Special Wallbreaker, with the base quiver dance set.

Next was Klefki. Playing around with Greninja, I thought I wanted a Dual Screener to mitigate damage. With screens up, Greninja can tank a hit from Hoopa-U and proceed to take it out.

Next was my Mega. I was about this close to putting in Megagross, the most bonkers Mega in OU. However, with Klefki already in as well as a powerful physical mon, I settled on Mega-Venusaur. My first Pokemon, it has a special place in my heart. Also, with it's powerful stalling and walling capabilities, it would make good protections for the squishy frog.

For my Z-move, I chose a defensive Porygon-Z, with Z-conversion able to completely turn games in my favor. Also, helps that it was my first bred shiny in SuMo.

I had my team, so now I had to go test it. Just playing around in lower ladder, I quickly realized that Klefki was dead weight on the team. I switched to Jirachi, a powerful mon that counters Lando-T pretty well, if RNG smiles upon you. I also had an rng'd Wishmkr Jirachi sitting around in my X box so, why not, as they say.

The Team

Ninja King (Greninja) @ King's Rock
Ability: Protean
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Power-Up Punch
- Fling
- Shadow Sneak
- Acrobatics

Greninja, the King of his Court. The main component of the team, Greninja sets up with 1-3 Power-Up Punches, then Flings for the flinch. Without the hefty crown, Greninja can then just Acrobatics spam most threats. Shadow Sneak is coverage+priority, both important in the meta. Shadow Sneak after +2 attack OHKOs Gengar and Megakazam. +1 Acrobatics with no item OHKO Defensive Mega Venusaur. Power-Up Punch two shots Excadrill, when Greninja has no attack buffs up already.

Throwdown at the Hoedown (Gliscor) @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 252 HP / 184 Def / 72 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Roost
- Earthquake
- Poison Jab

A defensive beast, with powerful typing, and Grand Royal Guard leader. One of the faster Rockers, it can tank Mamoswine's Ice Shard and return a OHKO in it's direction with Earthquake. Poison Jab is great against the fairies roaming around, and Earthquake takes care of Magnezone beautifully. Roost is amble recovery when paired with the Orb heal.

It's Lit (Volcarona) @ Lum Berry
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Quiver Dance
- Fire Blast
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Ground]

One of my favorite Gen 5 mons, and the royal bug thingy. We're not sure exactly what it's supposed to be. Volcarona is one of the most powerful Special Wallbreakers that I could find, with access to Quiver Dance pushing it over the edge. After one quiver, Volcarona can take out Heatran with HP Ground. Fire blast with no quivers OHKOs Landorus-Therain, one of the prominent threats to the team. Giga Drain takes out most uninvested Water types, as most Volcarona sets do not run Giga Drain, it's a neat surprise.

Jirachi @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- U-turn
- Iron Head
- Fire Punch
- Healing Wish

As the head ambassador of the court, Jirach can switch into many, many visitors. A great Pivot, as well as a strong speed tier allows Jirachi to OHKO Hoopa-Unbound with U-turn, gaining momentum and taking out an otherwise threat. Iron Head is the primary Stab move, with 60% flinch chance, can build momentum stupidly well. Getting a lucky fire punch on Mega Metagross or Mega Mawile is a game changer often, as they completely lose momentum. That being said, Jirachi becomes pudding to two EQs from Megagross.

Vee (Venusaur-Mega) @ Venusaurite
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 248 HP / 96 Def / 144 SpD / 20 Spe
Bold Nature
- Giga Drain
- Leech Seed
- Sludge Bomb
- Synthesis

Greninja's favorite exotic plant has gained sentience. Once again, we have a wall, this time more on the Special Defensive side of things. Sludge Bomb and Giga Drain are powerful stab moves. Sludge Bomb just barely OHKOs Tapu Koko, which would otherwise stomp on my team. Rotom-Wash, although not as popular as before, gets two shot by Giga Drain. Very good in the late game to clean up and stall.

Omega (Porygon-Z) @ Normalium Z
Ability: Adaptability
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Ice Beam
- Conversion
- Recover
- Shadow Ball

The Royal psychiatrist is back for more action! My first "good" Pokemon card, I brought in Porygon-Z to have the great honor of doing the one thing introduced to Sun and Moon on my team, Z-moves. I decided to go for Ice Porygon, to be able to take down dragons and rock types. Salamance, Dragonite, Lando-T, Garchomp, Zygarde, and more. Shadow Ball for coverage. Recover to stall.

Conclusion
This is my first competitive team, so please don't be too hard on it. If you have any suggestions, tell me. The King dismisses you, thanks for reading.

Haha, for being your 'first' competitive team, it already is far better than what my first was. Which was 3 dragons, Reuniclus, Conkeldurr, and Rotom-Wash in B2W2 ahahahah.

Now, for actually covering your team... And It may be your first team, but I'm just gonna be blunt here.

That Greninja set is ass. The chance of Greninja getting off 3 Power-Up Punches, let alone also having the time to Fling, is so rare that I could probably go get a lottery ticket with those odds and go buy myself to becoming a RO of Overused. Most Greninjas nowadays run Life Orb with Ice Beam, Gunk Shot, then two filler moves, being things like Spikes, Hidden Power Fire, Low Kick, Hydro Pump, Extrasensory, et cetera. It works better since it requires no setup, isn't a fairly gimmicky set, and hits a majority of OU's threats super effectively.

Gliscor is mostly fine besides Poison Jab; a better move for that slot would be Baton Pass to shift Subs over or U-Turn for damage + switching. Also, i may have pissed myself because of that name ahahahahahahahhahah

Volcarona's also okay, but I'll need to mention something at the end for it.'

Hell, the rest of your team is pretty good besides one option that I really have to question: Why is Porygon-Z not just Shadow Ball + Tbolt with Ghost typing or Electric Type with Ice Beam as seperate coverage and Thunderbolt being its primary STAB option? Ice Beam + Shadow Ball isn't bad, but the problem is Fini is extremely popular right now which takes not too much from Shadow Ball, Celesteela takes a lot but OHKOs back with Heavy Slam, et cetera. The coverage and typing could afford to be a bit better. Electric + Ice hits enough for what you should need (Magnezone walls you a bit, but then again, the only other resists are Magnezone but Bad i.e. Togedemaru, and two of the Rotoms, Heat and Bad- I mean, Frost.) You also could try out a more offensive just 252 SpAtk/252 Spe/4 HP spread for PZ.

Now, here's the team's ULTRA big problem: What do you do about Rocks? While I'm a full advocate of the NON EXISTANT NEED to have a defogger on every team, when you're running Charizard, Volcarona, or other Pokemon with a 4x weakness to Rocks, or a team that just doesn't like losing chip HP a lot. I don't know who you would replace in this case for a defogger (likely Jirachi or Gliscor), but Tapu Fini is the primary defogger right now and you probably could shove it into your team somehow. Not saying that super seriously, as its really up to player preference to the defogger they use. Rapid Spinners also work, but they're a lot rarer that work nowadays. cough excadrill is bad

... Yeah! There you go, bud!

I actually really like your greninja set despite it being a bit odd, but why put shadow sneak instead of water shrunken considering it will do more damage.

For your porygon z i recommend using electric type conversion with thunderbolt, because i feel like it deals with a lot more, also instead of adaptability use download to boost its already high special attack

I'm not much of a competitive battler, but when I saw that claim about Gliscor OHKOing Mamoswine, I booted up the damage calculator and got this:

0 Atk Gliscor Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 0- Def Mamoswine on a critical hit: 247-292 (74.8 - 88.4%) -- 12.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

That's a Hasty, 0 HP and Defense IVs Mamoswine that's taken damage from SR. On top of that, it's a critical hit. Yes, you can survive the Ice Shard, I'll give you that, but you'll still lose the next turn to another one unless I'm missing something here.

Oh, and here's the calc for Ice Shard. I used the defensive spread you listed:

252 Atk Life Orb Mamoswine Ice Shard vs. 252 HP / 184+ Def Gliscor: 224-270 (63.2 - 76.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Poison Heal

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)