Ferrothorn [QC 0/2] [GP 0/1]

Ferrothorn

[OVERVIEW]
  • Ferrothorn has good bulk and access to the ability Iron Barbs which damages the opponent if they hit you with a physical attack.
  • Ferrothorn wants to take physical attacks and can't take special fire attacks.
  • Ferrothorn doesn't have to worry about physical fighting type moves thanks to it's bulk.
[SET]
name: Bulky
move 1: Leech Seed
move 2: Protect
move 3: Power Whip / Knock Off
move 4: Gyro Ball
item: Leftovers
ability: Iron Barbs
nature: Brave
evs: 80 Def / 252 HP / 176 Atk

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========
  • Leech Seed is for recovery when worst comes to worst and also for healing so Ferrothorn can place the second Stealth Rock.
  • Protect gives a free recovery turn.
  • Power Whip is for bulky and slow Pokémon who refuse to die to Gyro Ball.
  • Gyro Ball is going to be your main attacking move unless your fighting Trick Room teams or slow foes.
  • Knock Off is too slow down sweepers or bulky foes.

Set Details
========
  • 252 Defence EVs allows good resistance to hard hitting physical moves and maximizes Iron Barbs usefulness.
  • 240 HP EVs is just for even more bulk.
  • 12 Attack is quite obviously just for extra damage.
  • Relaxed nature gives Ferrothorn more physical bulk while lowering speed to maximize Gyro Ball.
  • Leftovers is for more sustain in case you come across grass types.
  • Note that you should run 0 speed IVs to help Gyro Ball.

Usage Tips
========
  • Use Ferrothorn either as a lead or switch into it after a U-Turn scout checks for fire types.
  • Ferrothorn has such good physical you shouldn't worry about physical fighting types unless they have already set up.
  • If a Will-O-Wisp user comes your way then you will have to switch out.

Team Options
========
  • If you want to have some fun then you could bring a trick room user with Ferrothorn for always moving first Gyro Ball madness.
  • Landorus-T is a prime example of a U-Turn user into Ferrothorn, lead with it then Earthquake the fire threats.
  • Ferrothorn thrives against physical attackers but if the opponent runs into something like Mega Charizard Y then you will want a rock type backup (Tyranitar is best).

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

• Running a Relaxed natured physical attacking Ferrothorn is plausible. However, it will sacrifice some of Ferrothorn's attack.
  • Thunder Wave can be used instead of Gyro Ball to slow down the enemy then strike but that means no Trick Room partner.
  • Ferrothorn can be run with Stealth Rock and Spikes but unless you want to spend 4 turns setting up entry hazards don't use it.
  • Toxic can be used for putting a timer on sweepers in emergency situations.
  • It is plausible to play a Choice Band but it isn't very realistic because Ferrothorn has a stat spread made for being bulky.
  • Ferrothorn has access to Swords Dance but it doesn't have the speed to back it up.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Special Attacking Fire Types**: With a 4x weakness to Fire this one is a no-brainer. It might be able to take 1 physical hit but never special. Prime examples are Mega Charizard Y and Heatran.
**Grass Types**: All grass types wall Leech Seed and Power Whip while slower ones block Gyro Ball.
**Tangrowth**: Physically bulky, access to synthesis, slow and a grass type. Basically, Ferrothorn can't scratch it.

Last edited:
  • It should be noted that Doubles is filled with Special Attacker. While it's true that Pokemon such as Landorus-Therian and Celesteela primarily uses Physical attacks, they usually aren't dangerous to Ferrothorn. Which is why I recommend Brave nature and 252 HP/ 176 Atk/ 80 Def than the one that you suggested.
  • Also, Protect is very crucial in doubles.
  • What are you trying to say about entry hazards? I get they aren't good in Doubles, but what's with one side at a time?
  • Stalling in Doubles is a terrible idea given the fact that Doubles Battle is much faster-paced than in Single battle.
  • Include Knock Off for its other option as it can remove most items.
  • Nobody uses Defog in doubles. Or Rapid Spin, for that matter.

Sorry, when I was reading Stealth Rock on Bulbapedia I misread. Implemented your changes.

EDIT: I also fixed "if you have Mega Zard Y" and made it if the opponent and added an example for rock type backups.

earl

(EVIOLITE COMPATIBLE)
is a Community Contributor
I'd just like to point out that the line stating that Ferrothorn has low special bulk is misleading, 74/116 is by no means low. Just rephrase the line to say something along the lines of it's more inclined to take physical hits, and that's where it's invested in.

Pocket

be the upgraded version of me
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Not a fan of those EV spread. Taggin Memoric to share and explain his Ferro's spread on his dank team

Knock Off should be slashed with Power Whip IMHO.

CB is worth an OO mention

QC Reject 1/2

I'm sorry man, but this analysis is not up to Smogon's standards and is lacking in multiple areas. Your writing suggests a lack of knowledge of the DOU metagame and is really inadequate in terms of length and detail. Frankly it'd be easier to write the whole analysis myself than to go through and fix all of its mistakes. Before you consider doing another analysis, please familiarize yourself with the metagame first (i.e. actually play it). Good luck.

Idyll

xD
is a Tutoris an official Team Rateris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
RBTT Champion
This analysis is just too barebones and has stuff that make it of iffy quality. Rejected.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)