Metagame 1v1 Metagame Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

3d

Prada shoes cuz she prada me
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
World Defender
shoutouts Amoonguss for ghosting me

i started this meta like 3 days ago and topped this JOKE of a ladder

deoxys beats everything
garchomp too
mvenu walls everything
yeah,

Deoxys-Defense @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Taunt
- Counter
- Mirror Coat
- Recover

Garchomp @ Choice Band/Choice Scarf
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Fire Fang
- Iron Head

Venusaur-Mega @ Venusaurite
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Leech Seed
- Charm
- Sludge Bomb
- Synthesis

original deo was that lame irond amnesia set but i got bored i just bring this on stuff that hits hard but not too hard
garchomp is to kill pretty much everything with band, this team gets owned by scarf kyub if u dont play right with deod so scarf is an option i guess
venu just charms everything

anyways i dont even know if this team is good or not or even if the sets are right but u can use it if u like

also why is the gap between 200-500 smaller than the gap in the top 3 LMAO

Edit: within 5 minutes of writing this post I have been on massive tilt... go me

Edit 2: Now low 1400s,,,,,
ive told you this like 10 times. use rock slide over fire fang because you literally haven't clicked that move once and rock slide beats the prestigious counter zard which you've lost to multiple times

Reactions: dom
ive told you this like 10 times. use rock slide over fire fang because you literally haven't clicked that move once and rock slide beats the prestigious counter zard which you've lost to multiple times
Also Fling over Iron Head incase you face a Balloon Tran/Zone? Because i don't see IH covering anything.

3d

Prada shoes cuz she prada me
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
World Defender
ok cool i don't know why you quoted my post but that works!

lost heros

Meme Master
is a Pre-Contributor
Topped ladder a while back and never really considered posting my team a possibility.

Now the team is so popular on ladder that I'm just putting it here for everyone to use with the proper nicknames just to avoid more me feeling more disrespected than I'm already feeling
This team is my pride, and people using it without though is pretty painful for me ;-;

http://pastebin.com/LThVS8Fr

Enjoy :)
I do believe you topped the ladder for the first time with a certain Rhyperior and not Golem.

Felucia

Robot Empress
is a Forum Moderatoris a Battle Simulator Moderator
Topped ladder a while back and never really considered posting my team a possibility.

Now the team is so popular on ladder that I'm just putting it here for everyone to use with the proper nicknames just to avoid more me feeling more disrespected than I'm already feeling
This team is my pride, and people using it without though is pretty painful for me ;-;

http://pastebin.com/LThVS8Fr

Enjoy :)
TFW you post the completely wrong Kyurem spread

https://pastebin.com/u7A6w70X

My apologies

XSTATIC COLD

Banned deucer.
Well, I guess Thundurus-T is a good pick in 1v1 and counters a lot of top tiers :

Breaking Point (Thundurus-Therian) @ Electrium Z
Ability: Volt Absorb
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 Spe
Modest Nature
- Thunder
- Electroweb
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Substitute

Why i use Thundurus? First , Thundurus can counter a lot of top tiers and good mons, like gyarados, magnezone, tapu koko, stunfisk (lol) , landorus , pinsir, mawile mega.. and others

Why this set and evs ? using electroweb + 8 spe enables to outspeed modest tapu koko , and these 8 outspeeds timid magnezone (240>239), so i'm sure to beat air balloon zone with electro + gigavolt. Otherwise, the 248 hp can tank some hits , like Porygon z ice beam, lucario stone edge, heatran overheat, genesect ice beam...
Using substitute can surprise aegislash while using never ending nightmare, donphan cause it losts hp with head smash, so i finish it with hp ice.
Finally, hp ice is good against scarfchomp , landorus (&T) , zygarde...

Of course, we can use sludge wave instead of substitute, to beat tapus, whimsicott.. , or using psychic instead of hp ice to surprise venusaur with sub which blocks sleep powder + leech seed and attacking it with psychic.
I don't advice to use grass knot, because giga volt is more powerful, and anyway grass knot doesnt ohko golem or donphan (sturdy) .
The only good reason to use gk is to beat gastrodon and laggron, but care to mirror move. That's why it's better to use sub + gk .

Felucia

Robot Empress
Well, I guess Thundurus-T is a good pick in 1v1 and counters a lot of top tiers :

Breaking Point (Thundurus-Therian) @ Electrium Z
Ability: Volt Absorb
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 Spe
Modest Nature
- Thunder
- Electroweb
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Substitute

Why i use Thundurus? First , Thundurus can counter a lot of top tiers and good mons, like gyarados, magnezone, tapu koko, stunfisk (lol) , landorus , pinsir, mawile mega.. and others

Why this set and evs ? using electroweb + 8 spe enables to outspeed modest tapu koko , and these 8 outspeeds timid magnezone (240>239), so i'm sure to beat air balloon zone with electro + gigavolt. Otherwise, the 248 hp can tank some hits , like Porygon z ice beam, lucario stone edge, heatran overheat, genesect ice beam...
Using substitute can surprise aegislash while using never ending nightmare, donphan cause it losts hp with head smash, so i finish it with hp ice.
Finally, hp ice is good against scarfchomp , landorus (&T) , zygarde...

Of course, we can use sludge wave instead of substitute, to beat tapus, whimsicott.. , or using psychic instead of hp ice to surprise venusaur with sub which blocks sleep powder + leech seed and attacking it with psychic.
I don't advice to use grass knot, because giga volt is more powerful, and anyway grass knot doesnt ohko golem or donphan (sturdy) .
The only good reason to use gk is to beat gastrodon and laggron, but care to mirror move. That's why it's better to use sub + gk .
I honestly never thought about using Thundurus-T
(I did know it counters stunfisk though '-')

One thing to keep in mind is that Porygon-Z still kills you with Hyper Beam so that Ice Beam isn't really worth mentioning

In some cases, ice z kyurem-b doesn't work out on the ladder, so I have thought up a really new, and hopefully meta changing set (not a shitpost lol)

Move Set

Kai your rem (Kyurem-Black) @ Electrium Z
Ability: Teravolt
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Outrage
- Fusion Bolt
- Freeze Shock
- Substitute

First of all, I know what you're thinking while reading this. "Is this guy insane???? outrage has more damage, as well as ice z being almost twice as much!" While this is true most of the time, YES this set does counter some things, and has its advantages. One thing it does is change the unfavorable match up against mega gyarados into I'd say about a 50/50, potentially even better. Second of all, it counters those pesky aegislashs if you can predict well enough. Ofc, it is generally unconventional to run this much speed on Kyu-b, it really helps against those slower mega-gyaras. Max attack is completely necessary, as it can shift the battle in your favor. Although you may also be thinking, "Is this man insane running normal freeze shock???? that move is so trash without zcrystal lol" Well actually, it works sort-of well against vensaur-mega, whimsicott, and many other grass types, as long as you can predict well enough. (doesnt really work well against ground types).

While this set has its advantages, it has its disadvantages too. Its one disadvantage is that it cant really deal too effectively with those sturdy-rock-z/ground-z users, like donphan, crustle, etc. Luckily, this set can be teamed with other mons who can cover those (honestly up to you), along with that fact that this will be generally unexpected (unless this actually catches on), so they normally wouldn't throw them out against you.

Alternative Moves

Replace Freeze Shock with Ice Beam - This could counter some of those sturdy users like donphan and perhaps do well against Venusaur-M more will have to be invested into spa if you would like, so you can adjust the evs to fit your liking.

Replace Freeze Shock with Iron Head - While this may remove the ice STAB bonus on certain attacks, it can cover certain things, like whimsicott, and other fairy types, such as TK and TL (also kentari is kinda making me put this in :P, would not recommend lol)

CONCLUSION

I think this set's greatest strength is in cteaming, especially in a tournament setting where you will most likely know your opponent's set, or on ladder, where you know who is on. This set is very situational, and I do not guarantee it works. It is solely meant for countering very specific bad match ups.

©Freddy Kyogre 2017

Last edited:

RNGIsFatal

Banned deucer.

Tapu Bulu @ Grassium Z
Ability: Grassy Surge
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Wood Hammer
- Rock Tomb
- Superpower
- Swords Dance

Taunt, Nature's Madness, Substitute, Bulk Up, Zen Headbutt, all possible options depending on team's archetype.

Might seem odd option for someone, but Tapu Bulu turned out to have a nice niche in this metagame, at least for me.

The unique typing provides resistance to Ground and Water-types, as well as being immune to Ground-type as you may know. This lets Tapu Bulu to be efficient counters against few yet important threats:

(assuming no Poison Jab or others)

and others who are physically frail and can't OHKO Tapu Bulu, and p much most Water or Ground-types

Replays:
Gyarados replay was corrupted RIP
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen71v1-554208582 vs Tapu Koko
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen71v1-554220563 vs Alakazam (p much everyone without Choice item wins anyway)
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen71v1-554224106 vs Hitmonlee
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen71v1-554212539 vs Crustle
- Normally Tapu Bulu would lose due to Crustle's access to Shell Smash. The replay simply shows that Tapu Bulu is bulky enough to take Rock Wrecker + Rockium Z Continental Crush and strong enough to retaliate.

I lost so much fcking ladder to get these replays rip my GXE

Recommended partners:

Last edited:
Reactions: Tol

Felucia

Robot Empress

Tapu Bulu @ Grassium Z
Ability: Grassy Surge
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Wood Hammer
- Rock Tomb
- Superpower
- Swords Dance

Taunt, Nature's Madness, Substitute, Bulk Up, Zen Headbutt, all possible options depending on team's archetype.

Might seem odd option for someone, but Tapu Bulu turned out to have a nice niche in this metagame, at least for me.

The unique typing provides resistance to Ground and Water-types, as well as being immune to Ground-type as you may know. This lets Tapu Bulu to be efficient counters against few yet important threats:

(assuming no Poison Jab or others)

and others who are physically frail and can't OHKO Tapu Bulu, and p much most Water or Ground-types

Replays:
Gyarados replay was corrupted RIP
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen71v1-554208582 vs Tapu Koko
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen71v1-554220563 vs Alakazam (p much everyone without Choice item wins anyway)
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen71v1-554224106 vs Hitmonlee
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen71v1-554212539 vs Crustle
- Normally Tapu Bulu would lose due to Crustle's access to Shell Smash. The replay simply shows that Tapu Bulu is bulky enough to take Rock Wrecker + Rockium Z Continental Crush and strong enough to retaliate.

I lost so much fcking ladder to get these replays rip my GXE

Recommended partners:

I've never really liked Bulu so don't plan on saying anything about it, instead I want to mention your recommended partners don't really have a way of dealing with the ZardX weakness, I personally think pairing Tapu Bulu with Primarina would make for a very solid combination

What's the best way to deal with charge/Electrium-Z Tapu Kokos? This is so incredibly powerful, that it even OHKOs Deoxys-Defense after a Z-Cosmic Power...
Yes, using a ground type may be possible, but otherwise good grounds like Garchomp (who needs the choice band's power in 1v1 more than the scarf's speed) or Landorus are killed by HP Ice and may be hard-countered by other of the opponent's pokemon (Mega Venusaur), and if the Z-move is physical, even Chansey would be destroyed.

lost heros

Meme Master
is a Pre-Contributor
What's the best way to deal with charge/Electrium-Z Tapu Kokos? This is so incredibly powerful, that it even OHKOs Deoxys-Defense after a Z-Cosmic Power...
Yes, using a ground type may be possible, but otherwise good grounds like Garchomp (who needs the choice band's power in 1v1 more than the scarf's speed) or Landorus are killed by HP Ice and may be hard-countered by other of the opponent's pokemon (Mega Venusaur), and if the Z-move is physical, even Chansey would be destroyed.
Donphan and Golem make quick work of Tapu Koko and grass types like MVenu can also do well.

As for Tapu Bulu, it's a rather mediocre attacker, but might have some potential as bulky offensive grass type with bulk up and Horn Leech. Grassy Terrain is often counterproductive in attacking which is upsetting, but for walking it might be useful.

NOTE: I do not intend to call CTers pieces of sh-t, but I have little respect for them. I tried to make this a nonbiased post, but as with all opinions, it is inherrantly biased. I have an open mind, and will take the time to read any and all messages on this subject, even the flames.

Today as I was working on my hitmonlee analysis, I watched yet another sh-tstorm about CTing erupt. And this is not the first time, nor was this an uncommon occurrence. Counterteaming, in case you don’t know, is where you make a team/mon just to counter a single person. Some say it is a legitimate strategy, and I won’t disagree with them. Yes, cting is a legitimate method to gain elo, as many way. Consider 1v1 veterans, who have spent countless hours honing their predictions, painstakingly perfecting their sets. And yes, people like that exist. Imagine you take hours to perfect a team, to EV it, to playtest it. It is your masterpiece, your proudest creation. But one day, a person decides to ct you, to create a set devoted to beating your team and only your team. Imagine that, for one second. Counterteaming crushes your spirit, there’s no question about it. It’s not a question about strategy, but a question about being a decent human being. If I beat you very many times, and I’m not in a hurry (my ign is God Of Hitmonlee), I will give you advice on how to beat me if you ask. Most good players will answer your questions if you ask. We’re human too; we won’t laugh at you. Just don’t, for the love of god, CT. You can reach me at my discord Chronecke#9736, or pm me at my smogon account to discuss. Please, contact me and tell me your opinion about cting and whether it is good or bad.

Felucia

Robot Empress
NOTE: I do not intend to call CTers pieces of sh-t, but I have little respect for them. I tried to make this a nonbiased post, but as with all opinions, it is inherrantly biased. I have an open mind, and will take the time to read any and all messages on this subject, even the flames.

Today as I was working on my hitmonlee analysis, I watched yet another sh-tstorm about CTing erupt. And this is not the first time, nor was this an uncommon occurrence. Counterteaming, in case you don’t know, is where you make a team/mon just to counter a single person. Some say it is a legitimate strategy, and I won’t disagree with them. Yes, cting is a legitimate method to gain elo, as many way. Consider 1v1 veterans, who have spent countless hours honing their predictions, painstakingly perfecting their sets. And yes, people like that exist. Imagine you take hours to perfect a team, to EV it, to playtest it. It is your masterpiece, your proudest creation. But one day, a person decides to ct you, to create a set devoted to beating your team and only your team. Imagine that, for one second. Counterteaming crushes your spirit, there’s no question about it. It’s not a question about strategy, but a question about being a decent human being. If I beat you very many times, and I’m not in a hurry (my ign is God Of Hitmonlee), I will give you advice on how to beat me if you ask. Most good players will answer your questions if you ask. We’re human too; we won’t laugh at you. Just don’t, for the love of god, CT. You can reach me at my discord Chronecke#9736, or pm me at my smogon account to discuss. Please, contact me and tell me your opinion about cting and whether it is good or bad.
I would like to add to this that the image of 1v1 to outsiders is often "the counterteam meta" which really doesn't sound friendly for beginners

lost heros

Meme Master
is a Pre-Contributor

This is a non-issue. Straight up. Firstly, we can't even do anything about this.

Secondly, counter teaming is a self fixing problem. A good 1v1 player should not only strive to build a team that covers there pokemon's weaknesses and beats as many threats as possible, but also recognize what pokemon beats it. Players should prepare to change teams or team members to cover their weaknesses and prepare to change teams or team members to beat common threats on the ladder.

Thirdly, this is strictly a ladder "problem". This isn't even an issue in tournaments and bringing attention to this "problem" gives 1v1 a baseless bad reputation for potential official tours.

pizzq

Banned deucer.
i CT for fun occasionally. i dont do it to destroy the other persons spirit... Example: someone was running Kyub, Tapu fini, Tapu koko, so i decided to have fun and run pikachu. Most teams are and should be prepared for a majority of the meta and obscure CTeams arent an issue considering it puts the CTeamer at a disadvantage (unless they manage to CT everything).

lost heros its not the type of cting that is like running a different mon to deal with some team members. The type of cting i'm talking about is when someone builds a mon to 100% beat your team, with no counterplay possible. I believe that this type of cting is inherrantly unhealthy. I could be wrong, but i believe 1v1 is a metagame about player choice, and skill. When someone cts in this fashion, I think this takes away from the enjoyment of the game in general, as there is no way to win at all.

The Official Glyx

Banned deucer.
Counterteaming is a factor present in all metas and tiers, some suffer from it more than others due to factors that make teambuilding and the functionality of looking for battles easy to manipulate. 1v1 for instance is typically composed of a handful of players on the ladder at a time, which makes it a lot more likely that you'll run into them repeatedly, especially with how quickly battles go by. It's only natural that players would want to get the edge over people they're seeing over and over, and it's emphasized even more if they don't change out teams frequently.

Ultimately, since you're limited to just 3 Pokemon per team, almost all teams are going to have weaknesses, it's really only up to you, the player, to determine how big the variety of threats is.

However, if you play in the style of covering your bases, more often than not, you'll find that battles come to chanced selections at team preview frequently. Whereas, if you play in the style of countering what's to be expected, you'll find yourself in favorable matchups more frequently, but also run the risk of running into someone that runs whatever wild set that just so happens to beat you completely. And then there's everything in between. 1v1 has a lot of room to experiment with, but commonly winds up having battles determined by chances made through either choices at team preview or through the various effects of moves. But as long as you're well informed of the details of matchups, you can eliminate those chanced elements. So at the end of the day, it's either the best-informed or the luckiest players that wind up seizing control of 1v1.

lost heros

Meme Master
is a Pre-Contributor
lost heros its not the type of cting that is like running a different mon to deal with some team members. The type of cting i'm talking about is when someone builds a mon to 100% beat your team, with no counterplay possible. I believe that this type of cting is inherrantly unhealthy. I could be wrong, but i believe 1v1 is a metagame about player choice, and skill. When someone cts in this fashion, I think this takes away from the enjoyment of the game in general, as there is no way to win at all.
We're talking about the same Cteaming. You only have three pokemon. It is inevitable that there will be a pokemon that will beat all three of your pokemon very consistently. It is your job, and reflective of your skill in 1v1 teambuilding to minimize the amount of pokemon that do this and to be prepared to change your team/team members when these pokemon show up in the ladder. Cteaming is something you have to deal with, and it is something you have to prepare for when going in to a laddering session. Because of how 1v1 works, the ladder-metagame is very reactive and in a constant state of flux. It is your job as the 1v1 player to deal with that.

dom

Banned deucer.

not quite sure what the point of this post is? people cteam. there's nothing you can do.
I would like to add to this that the image of 1v1 to outsiders is often "the counterteam meta" which really doesn't sound friendly for beginners
it is very much a cteaming meta
lost heroes sums up my thoughts perfectly. it happens, the people that do it are bad, so? it's part of the (shitty) game.

The 1v1 been going around for a couple of month and still can't decide on what to suspect due to great arguments from different sides making it difficult to valuate a judgment over another so we decided to go on a different process for suspect testing. Starting every month, the first week will see a post done by yours truly to begin a new phase pre-suspect testing where we pick what to suspect later this month. Following previous discussions, we are going to pick options on what people think should be suspected whether in a banning matter or an unbanning one. But this vote isn't given free for everyone we will selectively pick people through a pre-suspect test qualifying ladder that won't be hard, then qualified people will be able to vote on the option(s) they wish for, a 60% super majority for one option is necessary to even hold a suspect test, if two options get 60% it's a double suspect test, if none get 60% there will be no suspect. You will be allowed to vote for two options, while the others will be counted as "Abstain".

For the month of April we have decided to start with these options that were discussed in the past:
  • Mega Gyarados - Ban
  • Darkrai - Unban
  • Power Construct - Unban
  • Jirachi - Ban

Mega Gyarados has rapidly made itself the face of Gen VII 1v1 to the point that a part of the community labels it as "Broken" while the others diminish these sayings. This makes Mega Gyarados a controversial topic. The arguments that go in favor of how broken is Mega Gyarados are based on many aspects firstly its amazing typing combined with its stats and abilities making it a scary bulky set up Pokemon allowing it to devastate many teams. Secondly, its versatility making it hard to prepare for it restricting team building options. More arguments were given but these are the main points which put this Pokemon on the borderline.

Darkrai is a Pokemon that was put up to an unbanning option alongside Blaziken but I do believe that Darkrai is the safest option to go at this moment since I still have a lot of doubts about Blaziken. Darkrai was hit with the Dark Void nerf which was the most important key that lead it being broken. Sleep is one of the most sadistic status move and it being removed from Darkrai might make it a great Dark-type special attacker.

Power Construct was banned in early Gen VII 1v1 due to us following the Overused banlist back then. Zygarde 100% didn't get much tested in the metagame and I think it deserved a chance since it needs Zygarde to actually be hurt before transforming. It loses speed but gains bulk and this additional bulk might not be helpful in the 1v1 metagame but that have to be tested more which is why I put this big guy up on the list.

Ok Jirachi might seem a weird option but a lot of people have been complaining about it and I can't not give them the chance to voice their opinion even more. The reason this was put up on this list is because people think that Jirachi is only luck based and doesn't bring anything positive to the metagame except hax which is unhealthy.

Requirements:
You have until Saturday the 7th to qualify and to be able to vote for this pre-suspect you have to:
-Make an account with the tag PRES and ladder on the 1v1 ladder.
-Reach 1500 ELO with a GXE of 75% in less than 80 games, it might be strict but this allows it to get most experienced players to not mess up with our metagame. (Reqs may be lowered if TI and I think it's too hard)
-Wait for us to tell you where to post your qualifications.

Smart discussion is highly encouraged during this period, happy laddering!
If you have any questions, you can ask here or privately.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)