Mamoswine [QC 1/3]

QC: Subject 18
[OVERVIEW]
  • Mamoswine is a good wallbreaker with nearly unresisted STAB coverage, able to easily pressure teams thanks to its high Attack stat.
  • It has low Speed but can alleviate that with Ice Shard, letting it revenge kill Lando-T, Garchomp, and Zygarde.
  • Poor typing defensively and mediocre bulk makes it hard to bring into battle, especially as it gets worn down by Life Orb.
[SET]
name: Wallbreaker
move 1: Earthquake
move 2: Ice Shard
move 3: Icicle Crash / Icicle Spear
move 4: Stealth Rock / Superpower / Knock Off
item: Life Orb
ability: Thick Fat
nature: Jolly / Naive
evs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========
  • Earthquake is Mamoswine's strongest attack, and obliterates Steel and Fire types.
  • Ice Shard lets Mamoswine pick off Pokemon faster than it, especially those that are weak to it like Garchomp, Zygarde, Landorus-T, and Latios.
  • Icicle Crash has excellent coverage alongside Earthquake and rounds off Mamoswine's STAB by hitting the Flying and Grass-types that resist Earthquake super effectively.
  • Icicle Spear is an alternative to Icicle Crash that is on average weaker, but it's more accurate and has a good chance of OHKOing Smeargle through its Focus Sash, letting Mamoswine anti-lead Sticky Web teams. It also can hit Zygarde through a Substitute.
  • Stealth Rock can be set up on predicted switches, to further pressure the opponent.
  • Superpower is solely for Ferrothorn, a common check to Mamoswine.
  • Knock Off deprives switch-ins like Skarmory and Celesteela of their item, letting them be worn down easier or trapped by Magnezone, if they are carrying a Shed Shell.

Set Details
========
  • Life Orb is chosen to increase the damage dealt while still letting Mamoswine change moves, giving it the ability to crush defensive cores.
  • Thick Fat gives Mamoswine a resistance to Ice moves and a neutrality to Fire, letting it take weaker attacks from the likes of Heatran and Greninja better.
  • The EV spread maximizes speed and power. If Freeze-Dry is used, a Naive nature with a spread of 240 Atk / 16 SpA / 252 Spe guarantees a 2HKO on physically defensive Rotom-W after Stealth Rock.
  • An Adamant or Naughty nature can be used for even greater power, but Mamoswine loses the ability to outspeed and check threats like Bisharp, Tapu Bulu, and Heatran.
Usage Tips
========
  • Mamoswine is good at breaking down defensive cores found on balanced teams by simply attacking what's in front of it and wearing down its switch-ins.
  • It should be brought into battle via double switches or after a Pokemon has fainted, as it lacks the capability to switch in easily. However, its immunity to Electric and Thick Fat let it switch in on Tapu Koko on Zapdos somewhat easily.
  • Keeping Mamoswine is important if the opponent has a setup sweeper weak to Ice Shard, like Salamence or Landorus-T, as Mamoswine's presence can prevent them from sweeping.

Team Options
========
  • Electric-types make great partners for Mamoswine, as they appreciate Mamoswine's ability to break through Ground and Grass-types. Tapu Koko can use U-Turn to let Mamoswine enter the battle safely, while checking Skarmory and Celesteela as well as Water-types. Magnezone can trap and remove Skarmory, Ferrothorn, Celesteela, and Mega Scizor, which is very helpful for Mamoswine. If Mamoswine is running Knock Off, Magnezone is even better because it can trap Skarmory after its Shed Shell has been Knocked Off, giving Mamoswine much more wiggle room against stall teams
  • Fire-types deal well with the Steel-types that give Mamoswine trouble. Charizard-Y and Bloom Doom Heatran are both excellent picks that can deal with Water-types too. Charizard-X and Volcarona can set up against Pokemon that check Mamoswine, like Celesteela and Mega Scizor.
  • A fat Grass-type like Tangrowth, Amoonguss, or Mega Venusaur can take advantage of the Water-types that check Mamoswine.
  • Teammates that can set up entry hazards make great partners for Mamoswine. Spikes users like Greninja and Ferrothorn can make opposing checks to Mamoswine such as Mega Scizor struggle to switch in. Stealth Rock users like Landorus-T, Ferrothorn, and Heatran accomplish the same, making Mamoswine much more difficult to switch into.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============
  • Mamoswine can run a lead set, which uses Focus Sash to live any hit and set up Stealth Rock, and typically has Endeavor to bring down a foe's health after Sash has been activated and Oblivious, which prevents Mamoswine from being Taunted.
  • Freeze-Dry can be used to target Rotom-W, Gyarados, Mantine, Pelipper, and Quagsire, which are otherwise not threatened much by Mamoswine, but as a special attack, it's damage output is quite poor and doesn't hit anything besides those targets.
  • Choice Band can be used to further boost Mamoswine's power and prevent it from being worn down in long matches, but a lot of Mamoswine's strength comes from being able to switch moves and break down cores.
  • Choice Scarf can net a few surprise kills, but Mamoswine's still relatively slow, even with a Scarf, and has Ice Shard to get around some of its Speed issues anyways.
Checks and Counters
===================

**Bulky waters**: Physically defensive Water-types can check Mamoswine well by threat of their Water-moves and their Ice resistance. Rotom-W takes Mamoswine's STABs easily, but can be lured by Freeze-Dry. Tapu Fini can take Earthquakes if it needs to, and if running max speed, can outspeed and knock out Mamoswine with Hydro Pump.

**Steel-types that can take EQ**: Steel-types that don't care much about Earthquake and have high Defense stats can take on Mamoswine well. Skarmory and Celesteela are great checks to Mamoswine that take relatively little from a neutral Ice move and can heal up and wall Mamoswine indefinitely, or hit back with an attack. Mega Scizor can Roost and wall Mamoswine or simply pick it off with Bullet Punch, although it can be chunked by a well-placed Earthquake.

**Faster mons that resist Ice Shard**: Most of the time Mamoswine's best option against faster opponents is to use Ice Shard, which can be taken advantage of by faster resists. Many common offensive Pokemon resist Ice Shard, like Mega Metagross, Greninja, and Keldeo, all of which can OHKO Mamoswine with the appropriate move. Tapu Lele can eliminate the threat of Ice Shard with its Psychic Terrain and knock Mamoswine out, too.

Last edited:

Eclipse

Like a chimp with a machine gun
is a Contributor Alumnus
Some things:

- I'd add Icicle Spear into OO. It's a fire option for dealing with Smeargle leads while also breaking past Sub Zygarde and Mimikyu.
- Not sure how I feel about the Fini mention in C&C. Provided we're talking about physically defensive Defog Fini, it takes about 45% on average from LO EQ and is outsped, not to mention that set doesn't commonly run Water coverage, and its easy to be worn down regardless. I'd instead specify that Timid CM Fini can outspeed and OHKO most of the time from full HP with Hydro:

0 SpA Tapu Fini Hydro Pump vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mamoswine: 342-404 (94.7 - 111.9%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO

I would also probably just reword the section to simply "Water-types" and add in Greninja and Keldeo(although you do have these in the last section, so do with that what you will) into this section alongside Rotom-W, Manaphy, Tapu Fini, and Suicune.

Nice stuff, man

Edit: My skimming abilities are top notch, missed Icicle Spear mention, rip

Last edited:
Icicle Spear is under moves but doesn't have a slash! I guess you missed it. Seeing how good sticky web is I might add it to slashes.

You're right about Fini and C&C though. I'll update this when I get the chance.

E: Implemented and added Icicle Spear to slashes. Sticky Web is just everywhere on ladder so yeah.

Last edited:
I would add Stealth Rock in the last slot of the offensive set. I would remove Freeze Dry entirely from the main set and move it to OO as Rotom-W, Mantine, Pelipper, Quagsire, and Gyarados aren't common enough to warrant using this. Plus in the case of Rotom-W a lot of them often run some SpD making it less effective. The slash order should be Stealth Rock / Superpower / Knock Off, you force enough switches to be able to make use of the SR slot in my eyes and its also a better moveslot then the others here.

Everything else seems fine. Good job 1/3

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
You should add more detail in the first line. Talk about how easily it pressures teams, its high attack, etc.

In Team Options, it's probably worth mentioning basic entry hazard support since it's so much harder to check Mamoswine when hazards are up.

Implemented both of your posts. Personally I'm not a big fan of SR LO Mamoswine. Admittedly that slot is mostly filler, but I don't think Mamoswine is a very consistent or good hazard setter unless it's a sash lead, so much so that I would consider even running another Stealth Rock user alongside it if I chose to go that path. But I digress, your constructive feedback is still appreciated

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
bludz is picking this up as readytolose has not responded to my VM within the 24 hours allotted to implement Nihilego check.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)