[Gym Qualifiers] Dragon, Normal, Flying, Ice, and Bug and Water and Poison and Dark

Okay time to make a move here. We have spoken in part about a new qualifier format for open Gyms and I would now like to provide you all the details of such a format. Included in the quotes below is the new ASB Gym Leader Application Form. As we have said, the current method of examining potential Gym Candidates is rather lengthy and particularly with the amount of slots we are looking to fill we feel this new format will be as good if not better at selecting suitable candidates and importantly much quicker. Please take your time to look over the form now:

ASB Gym Leader Application Form said:
ASB Gym Leader Application Form

Hello there potential Gym Leader,

Having found the prior qualifier format for Gyms somewhat too taxing and time consuming we as a Gym Committee have now made a simple questionnaire designed to test your preparedness and mindset as a potential Gym Leader. Please take your time with the below questions and try to be concise yet complete with your responses.

1. Please detail the three main weaknesses of your gym type. This might either be a specific typing or other subset of Pokemon that will threaten your gym. Examples could include: Pokemon with Knock Off, Flying type spam, entry hazards or anything else.

2. Identify three individual Pokemon that you feel will be of the biggest threat to your gym. Detail why these Pokemon are the strongest threats.

3. Please provide details of your intended arena and match format for the Gym you wish to run. Include any restricted moves, arena effects, number of megas and anything else important. Flavour is not necessary at this stage. Note that any full arena will still need the approval of the committee but details provided here should be kept within the realm of possibility. Justify your arena choices by detailing how they help combat the issues you identified in the first two questions.

4. Please provide the team of Pokemon you would send to your first gym battle, against an unknown but well trained opponent if you were to use the arena provided above. The team should consist of Pokemon with all the tools necessary to defend the gym as well as enough for the desired match type (ie match size +3). These Pokemon need not be maxed but should not be missing key moves or noticeably undertrained. As with your arena please detail why these Pokemon are important in dealing with the issues for your gym. If necessary please provide details of any further Pokemon you would look to add to your team in the future. Please provide profiles in response to this question, not just a list of Pokemon.

5. Please provide any further comments on your strategy for defending the gym, as well as any general comments about yourself (ie highlighting reliability, explaining periods of inactivity, detailing any upcoming lengthy LOAs if known) or just anything else you think we should know when considering you for this position.

6. Please provide links to a collection of what you believe to be your best played recent matches. These should have taken place within approximately the last 9 months. These matches may not necessarily need to be those you won (as we do not expect Gym Leaders to win every challenge) but should highlight strong play or resiliency on your part. Be succinct in the matches you choose and keep them relevant, providing commentary on why you included them. Aim for around 3 matches, but more or less may be acceptable with good reason.

We thank you for your time in applying for this position and will get back to you as soon as possible with feedback and the results of this process.

Regards,
The ASB Gym Committee
At this point we would like to announce that applications for any and all currently open Gyms (ie those detailed in this thread) will be open in four weeks time from this post. That is on Monday the 8th of May (or Sunday night for western hemispheres). Those applications will remain open for a period of one week. We feel this is ample time to prepare a team and the other required information for the application form detailed above. We ask that in this new format players only apply for one Gym type at a time. We will assess and provide feedback on every application we receive. Should a Gym have more than one candidate we will choose who we consider the most suitable. Should only one person apply for a given Gym and they prove suitable then they will be awarded the Gym. Should no one who applies for a Gym be considered suitable by the committee then the Gym will remain open. Feedback will be provided to unsuccessful candidates on how to better improve their application in the future. Any Gym that still remains open after this process is complete will have applications reopened for it at a later date.

We think you would agree that this process should expedite the rate at which open Gyms are able to be filled as well as remove some work for candidates and a lot of work for Examiners and referees. Any questions on the format of this application may be directed to the Gym committee.

In the mean time, happy training and good luck to all candidates.

Last edited:

Texas Cloverleaf

This user has a custom title
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
With school almost being over I think I can tentatively say that I can run either or Dragon or flying at the drop of a hat if no one else ends up applying for either

Okay time to make a move here. We have spoken in part about a new qualifier format for open Gyms and I would now like to provide you all the details of such a format. Included in the quotes below is the new ASB Gym Leader Application Form. As we have said, the current method of examining potential Gym Candidates is rather lengthy and particularly with the amount of slots we are looking to fill we feel this new format will be as good if not better at selecting suitable candidates and importantly much quicker. Please take your time to look over the form now:

At this point we would like to announce that applications for any and all currently open Gyms (ie those detailed in this thread) will be open in four weeks time from this post. That is on Monday the 8th of May (or Sunday night for western hemispheres). Those applications will remain open for a period of one week. We feel this is ample time to prepare a team and the other required information for the application form detailed above. We ask that in this new format players only apply for one Gym type at a time. We will assess and provide feedback on every application we receive. Should a Gym have more than one candidate we will choose who we consider the most suitable. Should only one person apply for a given Gym and they prove suitable then they will be awarded the Gym. Should no one who applies for a Gym be considered suitable by the committee then the Gym will remain open. Feedback will be provided to unsuccessful candidates on how to better improve their application in the future. Any Gym that still remains open after this process is complete will have applications reopened for it at a later date.

We think you would agree that this process should expedite the rate at which open Gyms are able to be filled as well as remove some work for candidates and a lot of work for Examiners and referees. Any questions on the format of this application may be directed to the Gym committee.

In the mean time, happy training and good luck to all candidates.
I am assuming that if I am not able to answer these questions in detail, then I am not suitable to apply. However, I don't know how to get answers to these questions. I am interested in Flying, Ice and Water Gyms but would like someone to guide me through the application process. Maybe I have the team, availability and some skill to run a GL position, but lack knowledge? Not sure -

There is no book of correct answers. The questions are designed to examine your thought processes and beliefs regarding the type you want to defend. If you have the battling skill to defend your gym then you have the capacity to think about these answers, quite simply.
Well put, but I am not looking for correct answers.
I agree that battling skill to defend a gym gives capacity to think of ways to do so. But I think there is something lacking in me to even apply for the position, and I am not sure what that is. Could be my approach, Idk -

For example:

1. Please detail the three main weaknesses of your gym type. This might either be a specific typing or other subset of Pokemon that will threaten your gym. Examples could include: Pokemon with Knock Off, Flying type spam, entry hazards or anything else.

For Flying Gym, my answer would be: Electric Types, Rock Types and Stealth Rock users.

However for question two:

2. Identify three individual Pokemon that you feel will be of the biggest threat to your gym. Detail why these Pokemon are the strongest threats.

Aerodactyl, Krilowatt / Eelektross, Glalie. Idk how to detail why they are strongest threats that is not already explained by their typing.

Maybe it is my knowledge of pokemon
or the experience of using a type in battle? idk -

Anyways, can't apply because idk the details and idk how to fill the gap either, so ciao!

Edit: Fort makes it look so simple, I am thinking that I could try

Last edited:
Well put, but I am not looking for correct answers.
I agree that battling skill to defend a gym gives capacity to think of ways to do so. But I think there is something lacking in me to even apply for the position, and I am not sure what that is. Could be my approach, Idk -

For example:

For Flying Gym, my answer would be: Electric Types, Rock Types and Stealth Rock users.

However for question two:

Aerodactyl, Krilowatt / Eelektross, Glalie. Idk how to detail why they are strongest threats that is not already explained by their typing.

Maybe it is my knowledge of pokemon
or the experience of using a type in battle? idk -

Anyways, can't apply because idk the details and idk how to fill the gap either, so ciao!
try something along the lines of:

aerodactyl: deadly typing, high speed, flinching moves, effective movepool
krilowatt: dogfish uses it, dangerous typing, magic guard life orb, immense movepool, high damage and hp,
glalie: refrigerate double-edge, hits like a truck except trucks don't hit that hard, mediocre side movepool but still the damage alone makes it enough against my gym

except put like more than 2 1/3 minutes into it
also compare with other threats to prove why these threats are bigger than others
so like you might say that kilowatt has stronker hp and a more versatile support movepool than magnezone, + magic guard and everything that bsguard entails

JJayyFeather

Drifting~
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributor
Yeah.... remember when I said I wouldn't be running for a new gym?

I lied.

Running for Dark Gym, team can be ready whenever you need it ready by realistically since it just needs some UC dumping to fill movepool gaps.

Okay as promised applications for any all unfilled gyms (Dragon, Normal, Flying, Ice, Bug, Water, Poison and Dark) are now open under the new applications process.

ASB Gym Leader Application Form said:
ASB Gym Leader Application Form

Hello there potential Gym Leader,

Having found the prior qualifier format for Gyms somewhat too taxing and time consuming we as a Gym Committee have now made a simple questionnaire designed to test your preparedness and mindset as a potential Gym Leader. Please take your time with the below questions and try to be concise yet complete with your responses.

3. Please provide details of your intended arena and match format for the Gym you wish to run. Include any restricted moves, arena effects, number of megas and anything else important. Flavour is not necessary at this stage. Note that any full arena will still need the approval of the committee but details provided here should be kept within the realm of possibility. Justify your arena choices by detailing how they help combat the issues you identified in the first two questions.

4. Please provide the team of Pokemon you would send to your first gym battle, against an unknown but well trained opponent if you were to use the arena provided above. The team should consist of Pokemon with all the tools necessary to defend the gym as well as enough for the desired match type (ie match size +3). These Pokemon need not be maxed but should not be missing key moves or noticeably undertrained. As with your arena please detail why these Pokemon are important in dealing with the issues for your gym. If necessary please provide details of any further Pokemon you would look to add to your team in the future. Please provide profiles in response to this question, not just a list of Pokemon.

5. Please provide any further comments on your strategy for defending the gym, as well as any general comments about yourself (ie highlighting reliability, explaining periods of inactivity, detailing any upcoming lengthy LOAs if known) or just anything else you think we should know when considering you for this position.

6. Please provide links to a collection of what you believe to be your best played recent matches. These should have taken place within approximately the last 9 months. These matches may not necessarily need to be those you won (as we do not expect Gym Leaders to win every challenge) but should highlight strong play or resiliency on your part. Be succinct in the matches you choose and keep them relevant, providing commentary on why you included them. Aim for around 3 matches, but more or less may be acceptable with good reason.

We thank you for your time in applying for this position and will get back to you as soon as possible with feedback and the results of this process.

Regards,
The ASB Gym Committee
  • Please send your applications to the entire Gym Committee (Dogfish44, Texas Cloverleaf, smashlloyd20 and deadfox081).
  • Any complete applications received by this time exactly one week from now (look at the post time, I'm not covering every time zone) will be considered. Incomplete or late applications will not be considered.
  • You may only submit an application for one gym under this format.
  • If existing gym leaders could just keep there own gyms open that would be dandy, but whatever I guess I'm not your boss[/size]

Please post any questions on the process here, but I'd kind of hope you'd have asked them by now if you were interested.

How important is the compilation of battles to the Committee's decision? I ask because, upon review, most of my battles in the last nine months have been flashes, flash analogues, or other non-serious or "casual" in format and/or strategy, and I fear that I might be unable to provide sufficient evidence of battling skill.

The application will be looked at as a whole, but every portion is important to some degree. Just do your best to answer all the questions and present to us the matches you think best show your skills as a battler when it would come to defending a potential gym. If you have to stretch the time line by a little to do this then so be it. Sorry for the somewhat delayed response also P2X7

Last edited:
out, not actually prepared (cough cough tentacool nidoqueen cough cough) and don't care enough to hurriedly get it by application dl

Okay so I let this run for an extra day than intended.

Applications have been received for the following gyms: Normal, Bug, Dark, Water and Flying. Further applications for these gyms will now not be accepted until those who have applied have been assessed. Results of these applications will be presented here once reviewed by the committee.

Since no applications were received for Dragon, Poison or Ice then applications for these types will remain open indefinitely. Applications placed from now will be dealt with in a first in first served basis. That is we will accept the first person we deem capable that submits a complete form. Basically get in early if you want these gyms.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)