RMT NEATO Trick Room

snake

is a Community Leaderis a Top CAP Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
CAP Co-Leader
I've never done a milestone post before, so I figured I make one at 800 posts. Trick Room has been one of my favorite playstyles to run this generation. Matches can be intense, and one wrong move can end your chances to win entirely. This particular team came to be when Mawilite was released. While I don't remember the exact process of how I made this team, I'll include as much detail as I can. Without further ado, here's the team.

Dedicated Trick Room teams in CAP should always have Fidgit. Fidgit's signature ability Persistent extends Trick Room's duration by 2 turns, which is huge on hyper offense teams that just want to keep knocking down the opposing team. As such, I added Fidgit as my first mon.

A secondary setter for Trick Room teams is great to have in case Fidgit goes down or can't get in. However, this time around I wanted to focus on my Trick Room abusers first. Mega Mawile just dropped into OU, and my old Trick Room team was getting a little stale, so I decided to base my team around it.

Next, since Mawile covers most of the metagame on its own, really missing out only on Pyroak and Mollux, I decided to add the next best Trick Room abuser: Marowak-A. It wears down Mawile's checks, and Mawile wears down its checks, so everything's a great time. For me at least.

As Trick Room teams, they become very Ground-type weak. Luckily, Gen 7 gave us the perfect answer for this lasting problem: Tapu Bulu. Not only does it resist Ground-type moves, it also sets up Grassy Terrain, which weakens incoming Earthquakes. Additionally, the passive healing is greatly appreciated: Mega Mawile and Marowak-A have surprisingly decent bulk when investing HP, so effective Leftovers recovery lets them potentially survive another attack. Tapu Bulu isn't a slouch either offensively. Thus, Tapu Bulu made it on the squad.

With my Trick Room abusing core complete, I decided to focus on a secondary abuser. While at first I used Magearna, which boasts great bulk, coverage, pivoting in Volt Switch, and most importantly great Special Attack, it just wasn't cutting it because I lacked a good Volkraken and Greninja check (can't run AV Magearna with Trick Room). Ultimately, I went with Mimikyu because its ability Disguise allows it to set up Trick Room without fail and save me from most Choice Scarf users.

Finally, the last mon of the team. Usually, I pack on a Choice Scarf user to outspeed threats outside of Trick Room. However, none of them were working out for me, and I really lacked good ways for creating win conditions. I noticed how my wallbreaking core struggled with Fire-types and Poison-types, so I decided that Landorus-T would be a good addition since it gets nice set up opportunity against those. Probably a really huge cop out, using an S-rank mon, but it's certainly good at cleaning up.

Let's take an in-depth look:

NEATO! (Fidgit) @ Black Sludge
Ability: Persistent
EVs: 252 HP / 36 Def / 220 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Trick Room
- Stealth Rock
- Earth Power
- Rapid Spin​

Fidgit is surprisingly bulky, so while Focus Sash is a decent item to run on Fidgit, I like to abuse Fidgit's bulk as best as I can. 252 HP EVs and 220 SpD EVs allow Fidgit to survive Life Orb Syclant's Ice Beam (a common leading move) and set up Trick Room against it. It also lives an Ice Beam from Protean Greninja. 36 Defense EVs with a Bold Nature lets it survive Earthquake from Adamant Landorus-T, any non-Guts boosted Earthquake from Colossoil, and Mega Metagross's Zen Headbutt. Overall, its a really great spread and it's rarely let me down.

For its moves, Trick Room is what makes this team go, and Persistent extends its duration by 2 whole turns. Stealth Rock chips down the opponent, breaks Sturdy and Focus Sash, and applies pressure to Volkraken, one large threat to my team. Earth Power lets Fidgit act as an adequate switch-in and check to Tapu Koko, Magnezone, and other Electric-types as well as Mollux and Heatran. It also lets me soft check Mega Mawile and Marowak-A and hit Mega Metagross on the switch-in. Rapid Spin is appreciated because Marowak-A gets worn down by Stealth Rock, and Spike stack can be annoying for this team. While U-turn is a great move, Fidgit only has 4 moveslots, so I had to forgo it.

NEATO!! (Mawile-Mega) @ Mawilite
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
Play Rough
Sucker Punch
Thunder Punch
Fire Fang​

Mega Mawile is a key member of the team. Intimidate lets it mega evolve more safely against Pokemon like Crucibelle and can force switches. Play Rough lets Mega Mawile hit like a freight train, OHKOing CAP staples like Tomohawk, Colossoil, and Cyclohm (after Stealth Rock). Zygarde can give this team some trouble, but with Trick Room up, Play Rough takes care of it. Sucker Punch lets Mega Mawile function well outside of Trick Room and picks off Mega Metagross, Mega Medicham, and Syclant. Thunder Punch eats Toxapex, Celesteela, and Skarmory. Fire Fang hits opposing Steel-types like Mega Metagross and Ferrothorn very hard. The EV spread just maximizes bulk and minimizes speed. I can't remember why I don't run 0 IVs on this mon, but it just seemed like it was unnecessary.

NEATO!!! (Marowak-Alola) @ Thick Club
Ability: Rock Head
Brave Nature
Flare Blitz
Shadow Bone
Bonemerang
Swords Dance
Nothing is more satisfying than Marowak-A's recoilless Flare Blitz. It's more powerful than Mega Mawile's Play Rough, so it's definitely strong! Shadow Bone also hits super hard, and most anything that resists Shadow Bone dies to Flare Blitz. Bonemerang is Marowak-A's best coverage move, hitting Tyranitar and Mollux for large damage. Swords Dance lets Marowak-A annihilate teams: +2 Flare Blitz OHKOes Tomohawk and Pyroak, and +2 Bonemerang 2HKOes Cyclohm. I can't remember why I'm running Brave nature, but it works just fine.

NEATO!!!! (Tapu Bulu) @ Life Orb
Ability: Grassy Surge
EVs: 224 HP / 252 Atk / 32 Def
Adamant Nature
Wood Hammer
Horn Leech
Stone Edge
Superpower
Tapu Bulu is important for this team in many ways. In short, it's Ground-type control. Grassy Terrain-boosted Wood Hammer hits absurdly hard, Horn Leech is great for recovery, Stone Edge snipes Pyroak and Mollux, and Superpower dents in Steel-types. I tried a Swords Dance set with Fightinium Z, but it lost momentum most of the time. Grassy Terrain weakens Earthquake for its Ground-type weak teammates, provides Leftovers-equivalent recovery, and overrides other terrains in a pinch. The EV spread maxes out Attack, minimizes Speed, and...lives something. I honestly can't remember what it lives, but I remember I was pretty happy to know I could avoid whatever KO it was.

NEATO!!!!! (Mimikyu) @ Life Orb
Ability: Disguise
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
IVs: 10 Spe
Trick Room
Shadow Sneak
Play Rough
Curse
Disguise is a great ability. What it allows Mimikyu to do is capitalize on a free switch into something like Scarf Volkraken or Greninja, which might be able to sweept my team, and set up Trick Room to turn the momentum back in my favor. Play Rough is a great STAB move, and recently I've been trying out Shadow Sneak instead of Shadow Claw. And then there's Curse. It used to be Swords Dance, but I never used it because Mimikyu could never break past Ferrothorn and Celesteela, and by the time I set up Trick Room, clicked Play Rough a couple times, and let Mimikyu go down, Trick Room wore off and the whole thing was pointless. Curse fixes these problems: losing 50% of your health makes it easier to KO you after Trick Room goes up, and 25% damage per turn on Tomohawk (which gets outslowed when running 10 Spe IVs), Ferrothorn, Celesteela, or Volkraken really pressures them out after they KO Mimikyu. The reason why it's good to go down after the turn you use Trick Room is so that Mega Mawile or Marowak-A have enough Trick Room turns to abuse. Life Orb recoil also contributes to this.

NEATO!!!!!! (Landorus-Therian) @ Flyinium Z
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
Swords Dance
Rock Polish
Earthquake
Fly
Landorus-T lets this team not flop if Fidgit and Mimikyu both go down. Landorus-T's teammates can force the opponent to switch into set up fodder against Landorus-T like Tapu Fini or Mollux (and hope you don't get burned). Rock Polish is almost always used first so Scarfers don't mess you up, and then Swords Dance can be used after that to clean up better or break stall teams. Rockium Z and Stone Edge are an option to break stall teams more, but I prefer taking out Tomohawk most of the time.

Checks and Counters

SubCoil Zygarde

If it gets a substitute up...oh boy. Mimikyu's Curse is really good at wearing it down, but a couple of Coil boosts and its GG. If Trick Room's not up, Mega Mawile isn't a safe switch in.

Physically Defensive Walls
Just because I have lots of counter play to these mons doesn't mean that they aren't annoying. They easily come in on Tapu Bulu, and it can be hard to switch into Cyclohm's colorful coverage. Rocky Helmet damage from Tomohawk is annoying too. Pyroak can stall me out if I'm not careful and burn my entire team.

Taunt Users

Taunt users can prevent Fidgit or Mimikyu from setting up Trick Room, which is annoying to say the least. It's not the end of the world though - if you see a Taunt user, just pivot into an abuser and force it out.

Balance Breakers

Balance breakers like Protean Greninja, Life Orb Tomohawk, and Z move Landorus-T can cause problems for my team. Simply put, if Trick Room isn't up, it can be hard to play around these mons because they boast just the right coverage. Aurumoth has coverage and can boost, which is problematic. Sucker Punch from Mega Mawile and Shadow Sneak from Mimikyu help out with this match up though. The same goes for Syclant, especially for Life Orb variants. Metagross Mega can run through my team too.

Fast Pokemon

Again, when Trick Room isn't up, fast Pokemon give me a little bit of trouble. Scarf Volkraken in particular walks all over my team, so I'm forced to use Mimikyu's disguise against it. Greninja-Ash can wear down Tapu Bulu or KO it outright with Ice Beam, and then it's bad news for my team from there. Tapu Lele hits really hard and can almost OHKO Landorus-T, meaning I can't take hazard damage to set up Rock Polish. Dugtrio traps Fidgit and Mega Mawile, so be careful. Try to keep up Grassy Terrain as much as you can if this happens.

Stall Teams

These can give me a little trouble if played with correctly. Counter Skarmory makes Mega Mawile's job really hard, so get those rocks up if you can.

Freeze Hax and Flinch Hax
Ok guys. I made the Fidgit spread so it could survive Syclant's Ice Beam and Metagross-Mega's Zen Headbutt. Stop freezing me and flinching Fidgit turn 1!!

As successful as this team is, I am open to suggestions, particularly about optimizing speed tiers and items.

NEATO! (Fidgit) @ Black Sludge
Ability: Persistent
EVs: 252 HP / 36 Def / 220 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Trick Room
- Stealth Rock
- Earth Power
- Rapid Spin

NEATO!! (Mawile-Mega) @ Mawilite
Adamant Nature
- Play Rough
- Sucker Punch
- Thunder Punch
- Fire Fang

NEATO!!! (Marowak-Alola) @ Thick Club
Ability: Rock Head
Brave Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Shadow Bone
- Bonemerang
- Swords Dance

NEATO!!!! (Tapu Bulu) @ Life Orb
Ability: Grassy Surge
EVs: 224 HP / 252 Atk / 32 Def
Adamant Nature
- Wood Hammer
- Horn Leech
- Stone Edge
- Superpower

NEATO!!!!! (Mimikyu) @ Life Orb
Ability: Disguise
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
IVs: 10 Spe
- Trick Room
- Shadow Sneak
- Play Rough
- Curse

NEATO!!!!!! (Landorus-Therian) @ Flyinium Z
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Rock Polish
- Earthquake
- Fly
Shoutouts!
sparktrain helped me get into CAP, was really patient with me, and helped me be the user I am now. Thanks so much buddy
cbrevan was one of the first people I talked to in the CAP room, scared the crap out of me for awhile, but cbro is cbae
HeaLnDeaL how many heals do you deal per second? Plz tell ;-; Awesome RO for an awesome community
jas61292 I didn't really know jas until recently, another awesome RO for such an awesome community
Deck Knight Again, didn't really know DK at first but he's a really cool CAP mod!
Ria needs to get on forums more. I believe in you!!
boxofkangaroos 100 kangaroos in a box, 100 kangaroos
Exclaimer for destroying me with Trick Room for the first time in Gen 6, prompting me to build for it in Gen 7
Animus Majulous for helping me with randbats and future college advice
reachzero is such a great sport all the time
Drapionswing Thanks for putting up with up with all of my puns, ik you love them
nv because he's a snek fren
Snorlax in the way Only because I know you love this team <3

Last edited:

reachzero

the pastor of disaster
is a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
When I was planning against you got Spring Seasonal, this is the team I was most concerned about, so I gameplanned for it specifically. A major threat to this team is Mamoswine, which is super dangerous for the whole team, and which only Mimikyu can really beat at all. I also noticed the weakness to Volkraken (and if you noticed, I brought both of these in game one, only to see you brought Sand instead). What you could really use is a Water type, and ideally one that is a natural fit on a Trick Room team; depending on which direction you prefer to go with it, I would suggest replacing Landorus-T with either three attacks Slowbro or Dragon Dance Gyarados (to retain Landorus-T's role). A perfect answer? Not quite, but I think it improves those matchups quite a bit. Slowbro in particular helps a lot against Protean Greninja, something that gives you a ton of problems now.

snake

CAP Co-Leader
When I was planning against you got Spring Seasonal, this is the team I was most concerned about, so I gameplanned for it specifically. A major threat to this team is Mamoswine, which is super dangerous for the whole team, and which only Mimikyu can really beat at all. I also noticed the weakness to Volkraken (and if you noticed, I brought both of these in game one, only to see you brought Sand instead). What you could really use is a Water type, and ideally one that is a natural fit on a Trick Room team; depending on which direction you prefer to go with it, I would suggest replacing Landorus-T with either three attacks Slowbro or Dragon Dance Gyarados (to retain Landorus-T's role). A perfect answer? Not quite, but I think it improves those matchups quite a bit. Slowbro in particular helps a lot against Protean Greninja, something that gives you a ton of problems now.
I might try Slowbro. I don't think Gyarados will boost its speed fast enough. Rock Polish Landorus-T allows it to outspeed most relevant Choice Scarfers, which was a big draw for me.

Oh boy this team, by far the best team that has touched CAP this generation. It can deal with every archetype, and of course snake_rattler plays it very well. Echoing what reach said, this was also my biggest concern going against you, even showing me that it would be best to give you the match, you played it well and you deserved the set. I do however notice a few differences, since I've smashed my head against the wall enough time to memorize the team. Was Mawile not SD and was Landorus-T not Rockium Z :^) ? Good job on the team my man.

snake

CAP Co-Leader
Oh boy this team, by far the best team that has touched CAP this generation. It can deal with every archetype, and of course snake_rattler plays it very well. Echoing what reach said, this was also my biggest concern going against you, even showing me that it would be best to give you the match, you played it well and you deserved the set. I do however notice a few differences, since I've smashed my head against the wall enough time to memorize the team. Was Mawile not SD and was Landorus-T not Rockium Z :^) ? Good job on the team my man.
When I first made the team, Mawile was SD, but then I ended up liking the AOA set better. I changed Landorus-T to Rockium Z for our match because I thought you'd run a Skarmory or a Rotom-W or something.

Snake fren counter is a fighting type move and doesn't affect ghosts so maro-a is safe against skarm
Forgot lol. Definitely makes Mega Maw's life hard...

BP

Beers and Steers
is a Contributor to Smogon
Oh okay so After i Post my tr team you post yours and don't even tag me so I can see it. RIP

EDIT: Sick tunes tho

Congartulations Snake, great RMT!

I really like your team overall, and I don't have much else to say since you already covered the main weaknesses. As reachzero said before Gyarados and Slowbro could be both good addition, I think that's the incoming updated Arghonaut could work as well, either with Technician or even Unaware (even though I don't think you're this weak to Zygarde, and anyway Unaware Argho don't like Toxic and Substitute), as it provides a good priority in Aqua-Jet which helps against something like Lando-T and an immediate answer to Syclant, Ash-Greninja, Volkraken and Set-Up sweeper like Volcarona if played with Unaware. It also benefits from TR.

One more time, very good team.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)