Playoffs Smogon Tour 23 Play-offs - Finals [Won by Posho]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cicada

soul reaver
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
16a. Nintendi vs 16b. Mounts - More solid overall, BW is closer though so if there's a match where Nintendi can grab momentum it's in that tier.

1. ABR vs. 16. Mounts - ABR is on fire rn and he's a really good builder, especially when he's in a set-up where he can build against someone. On the other hand, Mounts is good enough to win this matchup, even though he has to be careful with his choice of teams. I'm def biased here so i'll just follow my heart and bold my french pal :heart:
2. SoulWind vs. 15. Marshall.Law - More solid in all 3 tiers, but Marshall can pull an upset with his marginal stuff if they don't backfire. SW deserved to win an indiv trophy for a long time, and i'd like his efforts to finally come to fruition.
3. blunder vs. 14. Alexander. - Cool matchup, leaning towards blunder more as i think he's more solid but can go either way. Also hoping blunder wins so that we dont get overflowed with Star Wars / DBZ references.
4. PDC vs. 13. Posho - mex.
5. Poek vs. 12. Steve Angello - Steve is a cool builder, but Poek is more solid playing wise. I hope we'll see some heat squads from Steve though, which can potentially pay dividends in this matchup.
6. craing ;_; vs. 11. Lcans - Ben is a really good builder, but he has the tendancy to play overly aggressive at times, which make him prone to chokes. Also, I wonder how motivated he is atm after losing in OST finals. I think Lcans is underrated, and he's def capable to bring this home if the matchup isn't too hard to overcome as long as the armchair doesn't bring Cursed Body mons. We can also expect craing to bring stall/cheesy stuff, so that's something to watch out for. Will come down to both players form and their choice of teams.
7. FlamingVictini vs. 10. Empo - A battle between two original builders. I'd give the edge to FV because he's more experienced, and history proved that he's a clutch master. Also he's a finch-esque tryhard, so there's that.
8. Ciele vs. 9. Kickassed - Kickasser boutta get kickassed not even close lol.
In all seriousness, Ciele tends to favor fat stuff too much and play too safe, while Kickasser lean more towards the aggro style, and if he plays in a thoughtful way while staying aggressive he can pull his weight in this matchup. I think he's the dark horse of the tour, and jokes apart i'd like him to show what he's worth.

It's been a while since we didnt have such a stacked playoff, hope we'll see some great matches !

Last edited:
16a. Nintendi vs 16b. Mounts - More solid overall, BW is closer though so if there's a match where Nintendi can grab momentum it's in that tier.

1. ABR vs. 16. Mounts - ABR is on fire rn and he's a really good builder, especially when he's in a set-up where he can build against someone. On the other hand, Mounts is good enough to win this matchup, even though he has to be careful with his choice of teams. I'm def biased here so i'll just follow my heart and bold my french pal :heart:
2. SoulWind vs. 15. Marshall.Law - More solid in all 3 tiers, but Marshall can pull an upset with his marginal stuff if they don't backfire. SW deserved to win an indiv trophy for a long time, and i'd like his efforts to finally come to fruition.
3. blunder vs. 14. Alexander. - Cool matchup, leaning towards blunder more as i think he's more solid but can go either way. Also hoping blunder wins so that we dont get overflowed with Star Wars / DBZ references.
4. PDC vs. 13. Posho - mex.
5. Poek vs. 12. Steve Angello - Steve is a cool builder, but Poek is more solid playing wise. I hope we'll see some heat squads from Steve though, which can potentially pay dividends in this matchup.
6. craing ;_; vs. 11. Lcans - Ben is a really good builder, but he has the tendancy to play overly aggressive at times, which make him prone to chokes. Also, I wonder how motivated he is atm after losing in OST finals. I think Lcans is underrated, and he's def capable to bring this home if the matchup isn't too hard to overcome as long as the armchair doesn't bring Cursed Body mons. We can also expect craing to bring stall/cheesy stuff, so that's something to watch out for. Will come down to both players form and their choice of teams.
7. FlamingVictini vs. 10. Empo - A battle between two original builders. I'd give the edge to FV because he's more experienced, and history proved that he's a clutch master. Also he's a finch-esque tryhard, so there's that.
8. Ciele vs. 9. Kickassed - Kickasser boutta get kickassed not even close lol.
In all seriousness, Ciele tends to favor fat stuff too much and play too safe, while Kickasser lean more towards the aggro style, and if he plays in a thoughtful way while staying aggressive he can pull his weight in this matchup. I think he's the dark horse of the tour, and jokes apart i'd like him to show what he's worth.

It's been a while since we didnt have such a stacked playoff, hope we'll see some great matches !

Mix

mahmood soldi
is a Past WCoP Champion
16a. Nintendi vs 16b. Mounts

1. ABR vs. 16. Mounts
2. SoulWind vs. 15. Marshall.Law
3. blunder vs. 14. Alexander.
4. PDC vs. 13. Posho
5. Poek vs. 12. Steve Angello -
6. craing ;_; vs. 11. Lcans
7. FlamingVictini vs. 10. Empo
8. Ciele vs. 9. Kickasser

Oglemi

Borf
is a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
If nintendi beats abr he's taking this whole thing, go Tigre.

Would also enjoy seeing ciele with dual tour trophies but kickasser is possibly the best username on this whole goddamn website so idk man

16a. Nintendi vs 16b. Mounts - yeah this should be interesting. seen more from nintendi lately so i guess i'll predict him

1. ABR vs. 16. Nintendi - coming off of an OST win and #1 seed in this tour... definitely the favoured player in this matchup although his opp isn't a slouch by any means so should be a nice one
2. SoulWind vs. 15. Marshall.Law - shame there's no DPP in this series... should be a nice one regardless and i'd favor SW to take 2 given his proficiency in bw and ability to play ORAS/SM well
3. blunder vs. 14. Alexander. - feels like an interesting matchup because i think both players are better at oras/sm but i think blunder takes this one
4. PDC vs. 13. Posho - i think PDC has quite a bit of variance and might slump. posho made it to the finals last time too so i think he should be motivated to take this one
5. Poek vs. 12. Steve Angello - steve's probably better at BW, but poek's really strong at ORAS/SM which should help offset that and i think he'll take those 2
6. craing ;_; vs. 11. Lcans - rooting for Lcans to take this one, but if ben gay carries on his dominant run till ost finals here he's favoured in this matchup
7. FlamingVictini vs. 10. Empo - you got this B
8. Ciele vs. 9. Kickasser - i don't actually know that much about kickasser but he's probably solid. either way i don't think i'd predict against ciele

16a. Nintendi (SM, ORAS) vs 16b. Mounts (BW) - Really interesting one since I think they're roughly equal in any tier. I think Nintendi will grab the momentum from his great spl run and win the series briefly.

1. ABR (SM, ORAS) vs. 16. Nintendi - I don't think I have to say much about ABR.
2. SoulWind (BW +1 at least) vs. 15. Marshall.Law - SW just doesn't lose in BW and I think he has a slight advantage in SM and ORAS, too. Marshall is a solid opponent of course, but SW has just been really solid this season.
3. blunder (ORAS) vs. 14. Alexander (BW) - Both are very solid players who don't really rely on one specific tier. Tough to call this one, will be fun to watch for sure.
4. PDC (SM) vs. 13. Posho (ORAS) - Another really tough one. Both are really good BW players so I'm expecting a great match there. PDC has impressed me a bit more, while Posho seems like the one who's a bit more into ORAS.
5. Poek (ORAS) vs. 12. Steve Angello (SM, BW) - I think this one would be pretty even usually, but now Steve will grab the momentum of his impressive bw tour win and win the series. Will be close for sure, though.
6. craing ;_; (SM, ORAS) vs. 11. Lcans - Lcans is good from what I saw, but if ben can motivate himself again after the ost debacle he should be the favorite here.
7. FlamingVictini vs. 10. Empo - Tough to call tiers here, both are good for sure. rooting for my man Empo ofc :D
8. Ciele (ORAS, BW) vs. 9. Kickasser - Didn't see much from this season, but he has to be good if he made playoffs as 9th seed. Ciele is of course the more experienced and proven player, so I have to go with him here.

CyberOdin✝

¨ I will persist ¨ ❤
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a defending SPL Championis a Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
1. ABR vs. 16. Nintendi
4. PDC vs. 13. Posho
5. Poek vs. 12. Steve Angello

1. ABR vs. 16. Nintendi
4. PDC vs. 13. Posho

Lcans Let's go I know you'll get far

1. ABR vs. (Nintendi vs. Mounts)
3. blunder vs. 14. Alexander
4. PDC vs. 13. Posho

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader
16a. Nintendi vs 16b. Mounts - Nintendi's the better player and should have the advantage over almost anyone in ORAS after SPL, so I'm going to favor him despite it being relatively close overall in terms of experience in each tier.

1. ABR vs. 16. Nintendi - Hoping for this series to happen and hoping for both players to be at their best. This ORAS game could be one of the best games of the tournament if it lives up to the hype, but I feel like ABR has a slight advantage across the board given how he has adjusted to BW and how he has shown himself to be one of the best early SMers
2. SoulWind vs. 15. Marshall.Law - SoulWind outclasses Marshall in every single regard and that's not really up for debate, in my eyes. SoulWind has been one of, if not the, best BW players and Marshall uses Arcanine Sun half the fucking time, so unless Marshall gets lucky as shit or decides to get good again really quick, this shouldn't be particularly close.
3. blunder vs. 14. Alexander. - I feel like this is one of the closest series throughout -- I'd give Blunder a slight advantage in SM and Alexander an even smaller advantage in BW, but ORAS is almost a coinflip if Alex is still in form. With that said, there's a bit of an if there and I feel like Blunder had a better showing throughout the regular season, as shown by his seed, and is going to try his absolute best here, so I will give him the edge in what should be a great series.
4. PDC vs. 13. Posho - Posho seems to be a popular upset pick because of some public notion that PDC is slumping and one-dimensional whereas Posho is surging and versatile, but I disagree with this a lot. Both players actually have very similar styles, falling back upon balanced sand oriented teams when in doubt. Posho is actually the bulkier of the two in BW OU, which is arguably his biggest advantage of the three. I feel like both will try to counteract the other to some extent in their prep while still being comfortable with what they use. It'll be close, but PDC is the more proven overall player according to results and you can't argue with that, so leaning to him winning.
5. Poek vs. 12. Steve Angello - Poek seems to be the most hyped-up "new" player, without exception. He had a solid regular season and has been doing generally well for a while now, so I'm going to favor him. However, I think Steve will probably take a game off of him, most likely BW, making it a very close contestn.
6. craing ;_; vs. 11. Lcans - I'm not really a big fan of either of these two in terms of their play or style, but both are actually solid when it comes down to it and I cannot deny that. I actually had to put a lot of thought into this just now because I'm not familiar with either in BW, but I think Ben will take it if he truly wants it, which might be in question after the OST loss. He's just a bit better and hopefully won't bring something stupid/sub-optimal.
7. FlamingVictini vs. 10. Empo - LOL
8. Ciele vs. 9. Kickasser - Yea, no -- all these ciele getting his ass kicked puns aren't very good. Ciele will win this handily, reassuring the community that he is, indeed, a top player in the tournament community after SPL made some people second guess this.

1. ABR vs. 16. Tie-break winner
4. PDC vs. 13. Posho
6. craing ;_;
vs. 11. Lcans

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)