Official NBA 16-17' Season Thread

I don't have a horse in the race and couldn't care less who wins, and I can see the Warriors making runs here and there, but I don't know how they can stop LeBron at all. I just don't think the Warriors can rain down on the Cavs four games out of seven (we've seen Curry and Klay disappear in different games, and they need them both on the money to win, even with KD). LeBron is definitely taking the assignment of guarding Durant, and you know he's gonna be a pain in the ass to him all series long, while Draymond and Iguodala will take their turns at the King. If I'm Mike Brown (thank god I'm not), I would consider using Durant as a decoy, running him through screens and stuff to tire LeBron out on the defensive end, and Draymond HAS to stay out of foul trouble. The Cavs have yet to be tested in the playoffs, I think they have another gear they can kick into.

EDIT: The Warriors might also need Zaza back to close out on shooters.

Last edited:
Thoughts on the All-NBA teams?

First team: Russell Westbrook, James Harden, Kawhi Leonard, LeBron James, Anthony Davis
Second team: Stephen Curry, Isaiah Thomas, Kevin Durant, Giannis Antetokounmpo, Rudy Gobert
Third team: John Wall, DeMar DeRozan, Jimmy Butler, Draymond Green, DeAndre Jordan

Personally, I'm glad Draymond made it (I didn't think he would given Hayward's and PG's seasons, and that Curry and KD are locks). Gobert was 4 points short of tying Davis for the top center spot, too. Sucks for PG that he couldn't secure the DPVE, but it works out for the Lakers (assuming he cares about the extra cash the Pacers could've offered him).

Reactions: JBC
Why the fuck is Gobert above Jordan? Eh it doesn't really matter either way but Gobert is much overrated imo. Wardell made a fool out of him in the last series

Thoughts on the All-NBA teams?

First team: Russell Westbrook, James Harden, Kawhi Leonard, LeBron James, Anthony Davis
Second team: Stephen Curry, Isaiah Thomas, Kevin Durant, Giannis Antetokounmpo, Rudy Gobert
Third team: John Wall, DeMar DeRozan, Jimmy Butler, Draymond Green, DeAndre Jordan

Personally, I'm glad Draymond made it (I didn't think he would given Hayward's and PG's seasons, and that Curry and KD are locks). Gobert was 4 points short of tying Davis for the top center spot, too. Sucks for PG that he couldn't secure the DPVE, but it works out for the Lakers (assuming he cares about the extra cash the Pacers could've offered him).
The teams don't look too bad...Green is something special defensively, and while Hayward is good, he is by no mean as valuable on offense in the same way Green is on defense. I agree with you that that's a good choice.

Tokyo Tom

Somewhere between psychotic and iconic
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Why the fuck is Gobert above Jordan? Eh it doesn't really matter either way but Gobert is much overrated imo. Wardell made a fool out of him in the last series
Gobert anchored a top 3 defense, had a higher PER, was in the top 10 in the league for both offensive and defensive win shares (led the league in defensive win shares, higher than DJ in both), and had a top-3 DRTG (DJ was 10th). I also think he does a lot more on the offensive end, whether it be helping Utah's great ball movement or actually hitting free throws at a respectable rate. Maybe DJ was better last season but after this season I would take Rudy every time. I honestly think he should've been 1st team over Davis for the same reason that DJ was 1st team over Cousins last year.

Also I know a lot of people complain about KAT, Boogie, Jokic, or even Whiteside being snubbed, but I think the biggest snub at C was Marc Gasol. Like, this guy dragged a half-injured team that played a 40-year-old Vince Carter 25 minutes per game to the playoffs, while missing their max contract offseason acquisition (like ok, it's only Chandler Parsons, but just look at how thin the Grizzlies' roster is). Gasol was even a borderline MVP candidate early in the season when Conley was out. While he doesn't score as much as KAT or Boogie, he's easily the best defender of the bunch, and amazing passer, and even the best 3pt shooter.

Shoutouts Dame for averaging 27/5/6 on a playoff team and not making either the ASG or All-NBA. Just a testament to how stacked the guard position is I suppose, Conley, Beal, CP3, Dragic, Kemba, CJ, Lowry, Kyrie, and Klay (probably forgetting some people as well) would've made it into the All-NBA team had it been any other year.

Gobert anchored a top 3 defense, had a higher PER, was in the top 10 in the league for both offensive and defensive win shares (led the league in defensive win shares, higher than DJ in both), and had a top-3 DRTG (DJ was 10th). I also think he does a lot more on the offensive end, whether it be helping Utah's great ball movement or actually hitting free throws at a respectable rate. Maybe DJ was better last season but after this season I would take Rudy every time. I honestly think he should've been 1st team over Davis for the same reason that DJ was 1st team over Cousins last year.

Also I know a lot of people complain about KAT, Boogie, Jokic, or even Whiteside being snubbed, but I think the biggest snub at C was Marc Gasol. Like, this guy dragged a half-injured team that played a 40-year-old Vince Carter 25 minutes per game to the playoffs, while missing their max contract offseason acquisition (like ok, it's only Chandler Parsons, but just look at how thin the Grizzlies' roster is). Gasol was even a borderline MVP candidate early in the season when Conley was out. While he doesn't score as much as KAT or Boogie, he's easily the best defender of the bunch, and amazing passer, and even the best 3pt shooter.

Shoutouts Dame for averaging 27/5/6 on a playoff team and not making either the ASG or All-NBA. Just a testament to how stacked the guard position is I suppose, Conley, Beal, CP3, Dragic, Kemba, CJ, Lowry, Kyrie, and Klay (probably forgetting some people as well) would've made it into the All-NBA team had it been any other year.
I completely forgot about Marc Gasol...he sure is good. I agree with you about the guards, this year truly was the year of the guards.

i mean it's curry though but statistically, jordan had a pretty average year (to his standards) compared to gobert. esp in today's league of pace and space.

PG didnt even hide how much he wanted to go to LA on Kimmel. Also the Pacers rejected 4 1st rounders for PG from Atlanta lol.
You've got to be kidding me...now I wait for the Pacers to scam the Lakers just so they can have PG13 one year early...which means they'd give up key pieces, so then they'd suck, so the 76ers get a higher pick. Go Pacers front office!

Plus

中国风暴 trademark
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
i remember when melo forced a trade to ny and gutted the team for more $$$ instead of just walking in FA

good times

I figured the playoffs would suck again this year, but not this badly. Celtics/Wizards was the only remotely exciting series and we're witnessing what it's led to.

You've got to be kidding me...now I wait for the Pacers to scam the Lakers just so they can have PG13 one year early...which means they'd give up key pieces, so then they'd suck, so the 76ers get a higher pick. Go Pacers front office!
Lakers already said they won't trade for him

You realise our GM is one of the best negotiators in the business right? He got Kobe a $48m contract over two years right after an Achilles tendon rupture. Also with PG not making the All-NBA teams, the Pacers have no financial advantage in free agency, they have literally zero leverage. The only other team that might trade for him just got massacred by LeBron.

Lakers already said they won't trade for him
I don't entirely believe that.
You realise our GM is one of the best negotiators in the business right? He got Kobe a $48m contract over two years right after an Achilles tendon rupture. Also with PG not making the All-NBA teams, the Pacers have no financial advantage in free agency, they have literally zero leverage. The only other team that might trade for him just got massacred by LeBron.
He's obviously going to the Lakers at some point...I never denied that.

Hoping the 76ers pick up someone real neat...I'd like us to either trade up and grab Fultz or trade down and grab Monk and Issac or some point guard. I just don't like Fox, Tatum, or Jackson as a fit.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)