Ampharos

tag walls, punch fascists
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
8th place, earning 7.8 points: Zack

Arcade Fire - In The Backseat
7.8/10

How to get me to like your slower, ballady song:
Step 1. Be Arcade Fire

nah but seriously this is good. I really like how the arrangement supports the song rather than competing for attention or, on the flip side, being completely invisible. Her voice, of course, is incredible, and I really dig all the Arcade Fire-y touches thrown on top.

Ampharos

7th place, earning 7.9 points: Bloobird

Camp Cope - Done
7.9/10

Yeah so someone finally caught onto the fact that I like indie/alt rock after a giant pile of ballads to work through. The vocalist’s voice is really interesting, and I like it a lot, and I really like the overall mood of the song here. Can’t say a ton beyond that; it’s a good song that happens to fall into a style that I really enjoy.

Ampharos

6th place, earning 8 points: Fable

Within Temptation - The Howling
8/10

If it hasn't become evident, I tend to enjoy female-voiced metal more than male-voiced metal. Idk why. Something about it just works for me. Once again, this trumps Nightwish by virtue of taking a lot more risks and generally being much more proactive in their arrangement. Someday a band will rise to prominence that will eliminate the need to compare every female metal song to Nightwish. Sigh.

Ampharos

5th place, earning 8.2 points: Paperblade

The Prodigy - Hot Ride
8.2/10

RIP Smogon.

This took a similar trajectory as Pidge's song. I kinda hated it at first, what with that incessant noise going on in the background. The more you listen, however, the less noticeable it becomes, and the rest of the song is quality. Will say that it's much better without headphones (again, the background shit becomes much more noticable). Probably 9+ if it doesn't do the Thing.

Ampharos

2nd place, earning 9.2 points: NeedMoreManasi

Dorothy - Kiss It
9.2/10

Oh man. The sheer raw energy I'm feeling here is incredible. I can't even really say much else about it. It's just a ridiculously powerful song, and it's something I really enjoy. Running out of steam on writeup #34 out of 35. Wish me luck on the last one lmao

Ampharos

1st place, earning 9.5 points: Inawordyes

Icon For Hire - Up In Flames
9.5/10

I pretty much knew this was the winner from first listen. Didn't disappoint.

Is this song edgy? I feel like it probably qualifies as edgy. I don't really care though, it's fucking great. Really dig the guitar work, the energy isn't QUITE what Manasi's brought but it's up there and it supplements it with an all around great song. Good shit, IAWY. Good shit.

Ampharos

Scoring
Raw scores will be translated into points - for example, if you earned a 7 for your song, you get 7 points.

Bonus points are awarded in the following situations:
PODIUM - 3 points for first, 2 for second, 1 for third
EXCELLENCE - 3 points for earning a score of 10, 2 for earning a 9+, 1 for earning an 8+

Finally, prior to category 8, I'll be awarding 1 PITY POINT to a song in each category - essentially, this will be the song I feel I undervalued the most at the time, but which has grown in hindsight.

That being said, the following are the current scores, with bonus points already applied:

Oh, and Category 2, MEDIA CULTURE, will be revealed Sunday, May 28th at 8 PM CDT. Be there or be square.

Ampharos

In 35th, earning 3 points: Myzozoa

Marilyn Monroe - The River Of No Return (from The River Of No Return)

Snore. This is the kind of song that plays in a half-deserted Luby’s in Podunk, Texas at 4 in the afternoon, right in the middle of the dinner rush because the average age of the patrons is old enough to remember when this movie first came out. I’m there, too, sitting in the corner, halfheartedly pushing lukewarm macaroni and cheese around with my fork, wondering what sort of life decisions led me to this point. An octogenarian wearing a confederate flag t-shirt pushes past my table, his tray stacked high with mashed potatoes and approximately a gallon of gravy. A little bit drips onto my mac and cheese. A single tear drips down my cheek. Marilyn launches into the second chorus.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)