SM Ubers Stevan's First Ubers RMT

upload_2017-5-24_22-34-45.png
Introduction:

Hello everyone and welcome to my first rmt. I have always wanted to make an rmt since ORAS (don’t know why I didn’t but whatever). I was thinking of making it on the team that I usually play with but just recently I built a team around mewtwo mega x which I really liked. I haven’t played with it too much…18 battles without a loss on my alt watashiwa yumi, and a few more on other alts. So here is my team:
[Also please forgive my grammatical mistakes. My English is not so good]

Teambuilding process:
upload_2017-5-24_23-9-33.png

Mewtwo mega x is the pokémon that I built this team around. Many don’t use this mega as it is overpowered by many of the common threats in this tier. Nonetheless I think it’s a very good pokémon and can deal serious damage to many other pokémon here in the tier.
upload_2017-5-24_23-9-44.png

Seeing that ghost types as well as certain pokémon like yveltal can do some serious damage to mewtwo, the next thing I went for was a ghost and dark resist, in the form of arceus dark.
upload_2017-5-24_23-12-36.png

Mewtwo mega x, due to its secondary fighting type, faces problems against fairy types. Hence I went for a good fairy check, ho-oh.​
upload_2017-5-24_23-13-44.png
I needed a pokémon which can set up rocks and do some immense damage in the beginning. Primal groudon does that job for me. It also helps to phase out certain set-up sweepers.
upload_2017-5-24_23-14-55.png

As I’ve mentioned before, ho-oh acts as my fairy check. But due to its typing, it is extremely weak to rocks. So I needed a pokémon which can remove those rocks from my field. Since I already have an arceus form, I decided to go for giratina-origin (who is technically the only other defogger left for a BO team).
upload_2017-5-24_23-14-55.png
upload_2017-5-24_23-16-8.png

The last pokémon I chose is xerneas, which can set-up in the end and deal a lot of damage once it sets up.​

The team:

Mewtwo-Mega-X @ Mewtwonite X
Ability: Steadfast

EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature

- Taunt
- Low Kick
- Stone Edge
- Ice Beam

Mewtwo mega X is the pokémon I built this team around. It has great speed and excellent attack stats. Taunt is really good against stall teams, low kick does immense damage to really heavy pokémon (which is almost 70% of the tier), stone edge hits ho-oh and other flying types hard, and ice beam helps me damage physically defensive pokémon, namely salamence-mega and zygarde-complete.

Arceus-Dark @ Dread Plate
Ability: Multitype
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature

IVs: 0 Atk
- Calm Mind
- Judgment
- Recover
- Will-O-Wisp

My next pokémon is arceus dark. In this gen, a ghost and dark resist is one of the special requirements for teambuiding, and since mewtwo is weak to ghost types such as gengar-mega and scarf lunala, I decided to go for arceus-dark. It’s a standard set; calm mind judgement does a lot of damage, recover helps me to heal any damage taken and will-o-wisp helps me to reduce the attack of physical attacking pokémon and deactivates multiscale and shadow shield, helping me to KO such pokémon faster. Arceus dark is also good against psyspam teams, being immune to any psychic type moves and can take two hits from superpower or focus blast on deoxys-a and mewtwo respectively and OHKO them with judgement.

Ho-Oh @ Life Orb
Ability: Regenerator

EVs: 248 HP / 208 Atk / 52 SpD
Adamant Nature

- Brave Bird
- Sacred Fire
- Recover
- Substitute

Ho-oh is the next member of my team. Till now, my team looked really weak to xerneas. Ho-oh can tank xerneas pretty well and do a lot of damage to it with stab brave bird or sacred fire. Recover, combined with regenerator, helps me to heal damage done by others as well as due to recoil by brave bird and life orb. Substitute increases ho-oh’s stay in the field and prevents any status moves from affecting it. Ho-oh also helps to take care of annoying steel types such as magearna or arceus-steel.

Groudon-Primal @ Red Orb
Ability: Drought

EVs: 152 HP / 236 Atk / 44 SpD / 76 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock

- Precipice Blades
- Dragon Tail
- Stone Edge

The next pokémon I decided to go for is my rocker, in the form of primal groudon. No team is really complete without this pokémon. It acts as a secondary xerneas check thanks to its EVs. Precipice blades is a good stab and does tremendous damage to a variety of pokémon. Dragon tail helps to phase out certain pokémon and keeps defog users such as giratina-origin and salamence-mega out. Stone edge helps take care of other flying types such as ho-oh, rayquaza and yveltal.

Giratina-Origin @ Griseous Orb
Ability: Levitate

EVs: 244 Def / 252 SpA / 12 Spe
Modest Nature

- Defog
- Hex
- Toxic
- Draco Meteor

With Ho-oh on the teams, rocks are a problem. Giratina-origin acts as a solution to this problem. The EVs given to it help it to tank all physically attacking pokémon, including arceus and primal groudon, even at +2. Toxic hex is useful and does a lot of damage to many different pokémon. Draco meteor is a good stab and does immense damage to pokémon such as defensive primal groudon, yveltal, arceus and can OHKO many dragon types. And defog, of course, allows me to remove hazards from the field.

Xerneas @ Power Herb
Ability: Fairy Aura

EVs: 240 HP / 184 SpA / 84 Spe
Modest Nature

- Geomancy
- Moonblast

- Thunder
- Aromatherapy

After taking a good look at the team, I saw that it lacks a good special attacker and a good set-up sweeper which can help me win the game in the end. This is where xerneas comes into the picture. Geomancy xerneas is one of my favorite sweepers in the game. A +2 xerneas sweeps almost half of the pokémon in the meta. Thunder takes care of ho-oh, which acts as a check to it. After playing a few games with the team, I decided to change focus blast to aromatherapy. The reason is that I noticed mewtwo can’t switch in and out too much and by the time I switch it in, someone would have already used toxic on it, thus decreasing the amount of time it can stay there in battle as it lacks recovery (so does xerneas but with aromatherapy it can heal that status problem). Xerneas also acts as a dark resist.​

Threatlist:

Salamence-mega: once this thing sets up, it can literally sweep through my team once giratina-o is weakened. Primal groudon too may be able to take a hit from and phase it out with dragon tail, but that too depends on how much damage groudon has previously taken during battle, especially when it acts as my lead stealth rocker.

Xerneas and arceus-fairy: Sometimes just two checks to these two aren’t sufficient. The team has 3 fairy weak pokémon and a fourth which cannot live a moonblast if the other xerneas has set-up. Ho-oh is stealth rock weak, so if rocks are out, then it becomes hard for ho-oh to wall xerneas.

Ekiller Arceus: once it sets up, it can literally sweep through the team. I can rely only on gira-o and probably wisp from darkceus to defeat it.

Lack of priority: this isn’t a threat, but the lack of priority did cost me a few games.​

Shoutouts:
The list is pretty long actually. I’m truly sorry if your name isn’t here in the list. Whether I mention your name or not, you will always be as dear and special to me as you have always been.

Miven, for being something more than just a friend for me in my life, and for all the support and care you’ve given me. All I can do in return is say thank you for all that you’ve done for me.

Arii Stella and CKW, who have unknowingly been my mentors and have helped me to learn the meta better. Gracias Arii and Dhan'yabāda capt ;)

vsomani, who is not only a great friend of mine, but also an awesome battler. Your battles inspire me and give me the confidence to get better. Keep up the good work my friend and I will always enjoy watching you battle.

Ironfist24, another great friend of mine, who really understands me. Just waiting for you to get your law degree so you can fight my cases :P

DontStealMyPenguin, my very first friend in the ag chatroom. Thank you for all that you’ve done for me.

My RMT friends, namely 1Surgeon, AnishSomani, AnnaKartanna, DennisEG, ez, Gross Sweep, IronBullet, Mr. Perry, RedzoneX, Qplaz, Snowy, streams, Sun, Team Pokepals and Tushar Cool, for all their support, love and care they have given me, and also for the hard work they do every day in making the rmt chatroom a better place. Hope you guys succeed in doing so. :D

And lastly, jstoward , whom I met very recently but now, has become a very good friend of mine. Thank you for the idea of 8s and looking forward to have many more tours like that ;)

Importable:
Mewtwo-Mega-X @ Mewtwonite X
Ability: Steadfast
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Taunt
- Low Kick
- Stone Edge
- Ice Beam

Arceus-Dark @ Dread Plate
Ability: Multitype
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Judgment
- Recover
- Will-O-Wisp

Giratina-Origin @ Griseous Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 244 Def / 252 SpA / 12 Spe
Modest Nature
- Defog
- Hex
- Toxic
- Draco Meteor

Ho-Oh @ Life Orb
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 208 Atk / 52 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Brave Bird
- Sacred Fire
- Recover
- Earthquake

Xerneas @ Power Herb
Ability: Fairy Aura
EVs: 240 HP / 184 SpA / 84 Spe
Modest Nature
- Geomancy
- Moonblast
- Thunder
- Aromatherapy

Groudon-Primal @ Red Orb
Ability: Drought
EVs: 152 HP / 236 Atk / 44 SpD / 76 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Precipice Blades
- Dragon Tail
- Stone Edge

Conclusion:

Honestly, I’m not so good at conclusions. I tried my best to make it less tiring to read and to the point. So I hope you enjoyed reading and have fun playing with the team.

Last edited:

Minority

Numquam Vincar
is a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
In addition to the Pokemon in your threatlist, Ho-Oh, Primal Groudon, and Primal Kyogre cause this team more problems than is comfortable. Although there was detailing work to try and improve the Ho-Oh weak (SE on MM2X and Thunder on Xern) you just don't have a very good switch in, which is a problem because it can come in on Arceus-Dark for free. These three threats all have something in common: although your team can kind of switch in, it comes at too high a cost. The bottom line is that I see offensive teams getting the damage they want where they want it.

Situation: P Ogre vs. your P Don. Your best pivot is Gira-O. Regardless of if I Pulse, Beam, or even Toxic, I get what I want. Your Gira-O is placed into a losing position and now my set up P Don, SD Arc, etc. wins. Although this team's momentum isn't outright bad, it lacks anti offense tools and isn't going to be taking away momentum from any good offense team. In other words, you'll be playing on their terms with a team that is lackluster when it comes to checking 6 of the most common offensive threats in Ubers.

Glancing at the team, it felt to me as though the building process was probably a series of choices that were simply trying to fulfill a defensive checklist. Upon reading the teambuilding section of the OP, this became even more clear. Although nearly every good team does have to meet that defensive checklist (ground resist, Xern check, P Ogre pivot, etc.) there is more depth to building than just that. To me, it looks like this team forgot about offensive cohesion. More specifically, I don't see much logic in the choice behind utilizing Mega Mewtwo X. You started with that mon and then all teambuilding choices were in regards to meeting the defensive checklist, rather than having offensive synergy with MM2X, which was the entire point. What does MM2X break? For what team members? How does a CM Arc Dark or a Hex Gira-O facilitate MM2X's ability to bust open defensive teams? You only even mention their defensive attributes in regards to MM2X.

The simplest way I can put it is: why is MM2X here? What significant and tangible roles does it perform for the team? Perhaps its largest reactive utility is checking EKiller, but your spread indicates that you're not even using it for that. Experiment: what would happen if MM2X were replaced with Mega Gengar or Mega Lucario? Mega Gengar actually helps cover the SD Arc problem, and it seems to synergize with Ho-Oh and Gira-O much better than MM2X. Mega Luke has more offensive potency overall, and gets this team superficial priority, which isn't much for an anti-HO tool, but is better than nothing. This example proves that what MM2X provides is not only superfluous, but actually less than what is provided by an alternative Mega, which highlights just how much the building process failed to account for it.

If the goal is to make a good MM2X BO or Balance, you probably need to start over. The first partners you add are the ones that need to have the most offensive synergy with the offensive threat in question. If the goal is just to improve this team at whatever the cost, MM2X needs to be ditched and some restructure needs to happen. Ho-Oh + Gira-O + P Don is a BO / Balance arrangement that can have many permutations. Assuming a CM Arc Dark, you'll probably want to run a steel + a Ho-Oh check. Decently successful arrangements I've played with include mons like Celesteela, P Ogre, Ferrothorn, Zygarde-C, or Skarm. This structure allows you to be more solid against all 6 of the offensive mons that I mentioned earlier, because mons with good defensive utility end up replacing MM2X and Xern, the first of which has next to no defensive utility and the second of which overlaps heavily with CM Arc Dark. Building more offensive and integrating anti-HO tools is a different beast entirely.

Summary:
- At minimum, replace MM2X with Mega Gengar
or
- Replace MM2X with a Steel-type such as Celesteela, Ferrothorn, or Skarmory
- Replace Xerneas with a Ho-Oh check such as Primal Kyogre or Zygarde-C

You can discuss with me personally if you want to build a MM2X offense from the ground up or if you want to use a different Arc with the Gira-O + Ho-Oh + P Don structure.

In addition to the Pokemon in your threatlist, Ho-Oh, Primal Groudon, and Primal Kyogre cause this team more problems than is comfortable. Although there was detailing work to try and improve the Ho-Oh weak (SE on MM2X and Thunder on Xern) you just don't have a very good switch in, which is a problem because it can come in on Arceus-Dark for free. These three threats all have something in common: although your team can kind of switch in, it comes at too high a cost. The bottom line is that I see offensive teams getting the damage they want where they want it.

Situation: P Ogre vs. your P Don. Your best pivot is Gira-O. Regardless of if I Pulse, Beam, or even Toxic, I get what I want. Your Gira-O is placed into a losing position and now my set up P Don, SD Arc, etc. wins. Although this team's momentum isn't outright bad, it lacks anti offense tools and isn't going to be taking away momentum from any good offense team. In other words, you'll be playing on their terms with a team that is lackluster when it comes to checking 6 of the most common offensive threats in Ubers.

Glancing at the team, it felt to me as though the building process was probably a series of choices that were simply trying to fulfill a defensive checklist. Upon reading the teambuilding section of the OP, this became even more clear. Although nearly every good team does have to meet that defensive checklist (ground resist, Xern check, P Ogre pivot, etc.) there is more depth to building than just that. To me, it looks like this team forgot about offensive cohesion. More specifically, I don't see much logic in the choice behind utilizing Mega Mewtwo X. You started with that mon and then all teambuilding choices were in regards to meeting the defensive checklist, rather than having offensive synergy with MM2X, which was the entire point. What does MM2X break? For what team members? How does a CM Arc Dark or a Hex Gira-O facilitate MM2X's ability to bust open defensive teams? You only even mention their defensive attributes in regards to MM2X.

The simplest way I can put it is: why is MM2X here? What significant and tangible roles does it perform for the team? Perhaps its largest reactive utility is checking EKiller, but your spread indicates that you're not even using it for that. Experiment: what would happen if MM2X were replaced with Mega Gengar or Mega Lucario? Mega Gengar actually helps cover the SD Arc problem, and it seems to synergize with Ho-Oh and Gira-O much better than MM2X. Mega Luke has more offensive potency overall, and gets this team superficial priority, which isn't much for an anti-HO tool, but is better than nothing. This example proves that what MM2X provides is not only superfluous, but actually less than what is provided by an alternative Mega, which highlights just how much the building process failed to account for it.

If the goal is to make a good MM2X BO or Balance, you probably need to start over. The first partners you add are the ones that need to have the most offensive synergy with the offensive threat in question. If the goal is just to improve this team at whatever the cost, MM2X needs to be ditched and some restructure needs to happen. Ho-Oh + Gira-O + P Don is a BO / Balance arrangement that can have many permutations. Assuming a CM Arc Dark, you'll probably want to run a steel + a Ho-Oh check. Decently successful arrangements I've played with include mons like Celesteela, P Ogre, Ferrothorn, Zygarde-C, or Skarm. This structure allows you to be more solid against all 6 of the offensive mons that I mentioned earlier, because mons with good defensive utility end up replacing MM2X and Xern, the first of which has next to no defensive utility and the second of which overlaps heavily with CM Arc Dark. Building more offensive and integrating anti-HO tools is a different beast entirely.

Summary:
- At minimum, replace MM2X with Mega Gengar
or
- Replace MM2X with a Steel-type such as Celesteela, Ferrothorn, or Skarmory
- Replace Xerneas with a Ho-Oh check such as Primal Kyogre or Zygarde-C

You can discuss with me personally if you want to build a MM2X offense from the ground up or if you want to use a different Arc with the Gira-O + Ho-Oh + P Don structure.
thanks for the feedback and I appreciate the offer :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)