Metagame Workshop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Im fairly sure this already exists under the name supereffectivemons (?)

edit: whoops missed the bit where they get their own moves too. but its basically just a straight overlap of that and stabmons. might be worth considering what it brings thats new that those two metas dont already give

Glitchwood High

formerly Err0r Mobutt
Im fairly sure this already exists under the name supereffectivemons (?)

edit: whoops missed the bit where they get their own moves too. but its basically just a straight overlap of that and stabmons. might be worth considering what it brings thats new that those two metas dont already give
Not exactly sure what Supereffectivemons is.

Edit: I'm unsure if mentioned meta is even alive, because I searched for it on google and smogon multiple times without getting any relevant results.

Last edited:

lost heros

Meme Master
is a Pre-Contributor
Not exactly sure what Supereffectivemons is.

Edit: I'm unsure if mentioned meta is even alive, because I searched for it on google and smogon multiple times without getting any relevant results.
Your meta is just STABmons + SuperEffectivemons. STABmons has been around for years and you can look through this thread for SEmons.

Samtendo09

Ability: Light Power
is a Pre-Contributor
To be fair, move based metas are notoriously unpopular see sketchmons and STABmons.
Unpopular and even for the wrong reasons; it makes the moves selection even more limited thanks to Extremespeed or other utterly spam-able moves. There may be other reasons, but this one is my perception.

Unpopular and even for the wrong reasons; it makes the moves selection even more limited thanks to Extremespeed or other utterly spam-able moves. There may be other reasons, but this one is my perception.
This is why I think my "Usually Useless" idea from a few pages back could bring an interesting twist on move based metas. Is there any particular reason that idea was blacklisted?

This is why I think my "Usually Useless" idea from a few pages back could bring an interesting twist on move based metas. Is there any particular reason that idea was blacklisted?
i guess because the moves suck? itd be worse than regular ou and most of them are so pathetically weak and relying on hax it would just be awful to play. bringing underrated things to the spotlight is always a lot of fun, as is creating limitations that bring complexity and enjoyment. but i think the vast majority of "usually useless" is trash moves, zero coverage, no recovery options, no hazards, no decent status moves.. will it really be more fun to use a dragonite that has dragon rush, bulldoze, fly, steel wing? imo, thats not more fun than regular play because it doesnt make the available moves usable through any means but banning their alternatives

Last edited:
Reinforcement Comes

Metagame Pemise: If it's not the first turn of the game, when a mon is switched in, it uses a move in the first moveslot. Doubles format.

In the movies, there's a common scene when some character would make a grand entrance, it attacks the enemy out of nowhere. This meta is inspired by those.

I think no need examples as it's self explanatory.

Question for the community: Should the meta be Doubles or Singles? Because I think Doubles is... more fitting as in the movies, usually a character attacks out of nowhere when interrupting two people fighting each other, so making it singles kinda... weird I think.

anaconja

long day at job
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
Reinforcement Comes

Metagame Pemise: If it's not the first turn of the game, when a mon is switched in, it uses a move in the first moveslot. Doubles format.

In the movies, there's a common scene when some character would make a grand entrance, it attacks the enemy out of nowhere. This meta is inspired by those.

Question for the community: Should the meta be Doubles or Singles? Because I think Doubles is... more fitting as in the movies, usually a character attacks out of nowhere when interrupting two people fighting each other, so making it singles kinda... weird I think.
Isn't that just Trademarked but the first move is in the first moveslot and isn't used the first turn?

Reinforcement Comes

You'd presumably have to ban U-turn/Volt Switch/Parting Shot/Baton Pass regardless, and if it's doubles then probably also Mat Block.

Brokemons SM: And We Back Edition

Pet Mod Premise: Brokemons last gen was a mod in which every Pokemon was buffed to a point where they would probably be banned from vanilla OU. This gen it would be a bit different. Instead of me doing the breaking, it's everybody doing the breaking!

Like 90% of pet mods out there, Brokemons would be done in slates of variable size, ranging from 2 to 6 Pokemon. It would have the now-obligatory Submission, Voting, and Discussion phases.

RULES

- Every slate would have a BST Benchmark. Every Pokemon in that slate must be buffed to that BST exactly.
- Buffed Pokemon can have 3 Abilities, no more, except for in special cases like Wobbuffet, where its design only really calls for one.
- Buffed Pokemon must retain at least one Ability.
- Type changes must be flavorful. To steal an example from Movin' On Up, Ice/Electric Raticate isn't allowed, but Psychic/Fairy Uxie is.
- Be cognizant about your buffs. Try to have everything fill a specific niche.

And that's about it! Is it okay if I bring this old pet mod back in a new form?

Samtendo09

is a Pre-Contributor
Brokemons SM: And We Back Edition

Pet Mod Premise: Brokemons last gen was a mod in which every Pokemon was buffed to a point where they would probably be banned from vanilla OU. This gen it would be a bit different. Instead of me doing the breaking, it's everybody doing the breaking!

Like 90% of pet mods out there, Brokemons would be done in slates of variable size, ranging from 2 to 6 Pokemon. It would have the now-obligatory Submission, Voting, and Discussion phases.

RULES

- Every slate would have a BST Benchmark. Every Pokemon in that slate must be buffed to that BST exactly.
- Buffed Pokemon can have 3 Abilities, no more, except for in special cases like Wobbuffet, where its design only really calls for one.
- Buffed Pokemon must retain at least one Ability.
- Type changes must be flavorful. To steal an example from Movin' On Up, Ice/Electric Raticate isn't allowed, but Psychic/Fairy Uxie is.
- Be cognizant about your buffs. Try to have everything fill a specific niche.

And that's about it! Is it okay if I bring this old pet mod back in a new form?
Wouldn't that be part of the commonly rejected submissions, which is part of "Mr. Mime for Ubers" (in other words, buffing as many Pokémon as possible to make them compatible/viable in Uber as possible in term of power or bulk)?

Wouldn't that be part of the commonly rejected submissions, which is part of "Mr. Mime for Ubers" (in other words, buffing as many Pokémon as possible to make them compatible/viable in Uber as possible in term of power or bulk)?
The difference is...
Well, it was allowed last gen...
If anyone wants to hit me up on a Brokemons PM chat feel free, because I got a feeling that this isn't getting accepted any time soon. It's a shame, too.

I don't understand how this got so messed up.
UU+
(pet mod)
Premise: Adjust Pokemon to be around the strength of UU.

Rules: UU biased
How it could work: Every week we discuss what pokemon could be adjusted to be UU like.
Questions: What changes would you make to Pokemon to make them like an UU mon? Should pet mod discussion be here? What would you change about this pet mod?
I think I got my idea across of what this supposed to be. It's basically a pet mod that tries to make more things "Mid Tier."

drampa's grandpa

cannonball
is a Community Contributoris a Community Leader Alumnus
The difference is...
Well, it was allowed last gen...
If anyone wants to hit me up on a Brokemons PM chat feel free, because I got a feeling that this isn't getting accepted any time soon. It's a shame, too.
The difference is it's every mon instead of [insert mon(s) here] I think

Dunfan

formerly Dunsparce Fanboy
It's been a while i'm thinking about a Pet Mod, but i never had the motivation to submit it here.
So, here is it :

FANTASYMONS
Metagame premise
: A Pet Mod with the objective of creating competitive RPG-like classes. These classes will give an extra ability (newly created) and two extra moves. (newly created too, and that are either untyped or work like Revelation Dance)
In the end, you'll be able to give every class to every Pokemon (but only one class by Pokemon) by nicknaming the Pokemon with the name of the class.
Every class should have a specific role or niche.
2 classes will be done each slate.
Here are the 16 classic RPG classes i'm planning to do :
Knight
Mage
Priest
Thief
Paladin
Dark Knight
Necromancer
Druid
Bard
Ninja
Pirate
Samurai
Warrior
Hunter
Monk
Berserker

In addition to the 16 existing classes, there will be a "Make a class" slate every 2 slates.

Questions for the community:
How could i improve this Pet Mod ? Feedback is welcome.

AquaticPanic

Intentional Femboy Penguin
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributor
Community Leader
Oh, didn't know about that

Either way, I've finished the Ability Alphabet list on my post, if anyone wants to go check the new effects go there. Also here's some that caught my attention:

Pickpocket (Pixielate): Can offer some coverage. All the mons that get it are weak to fighting, so now they have a reliable way to hit them.
It's the main highlight here. Reliably hitting Fighting is rather relevant as it's 4x weak to it, and also faster than a good number of them.

Weavile @ Life Orb
Ability: Pickpocket
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Icicle Crash
- Knock Off
- Ice Shard
- Return

Anticipation (Arena Trap): Not only will you know if the foe will have a SE move so you can safely trap it, but the mons who get this can be quite scarry for diferent reasons.

It can trap in Special Walls that cannot do anything to it, set up SD, and then do some serious damage (Like mentioned earlier on this thread).

Toxicroak @ Black Sludge
Ability: Anticipation
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Substitute
- Cross Chop
- Gunk Shot / Poison Jab

Sure, Anticipation is a very inferior ability when compared to Iron Barbs. But if you're able to trap foes, which you'll be warned if they have anything to hit you hard with, and these foes can't really do any damage to you, you're a good wall. Trapping + Leech Seed makes it have a good recovery overall (Making it even able to run Rocky Helmet to make up for Iron Barbs' loss).

Ferrothorn @ Rocky Helmet / Leftovers
Ability: Anticipation
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Def
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Leech Seed
- Protect
- Spikes
- Gyro Ball

Natural Cure (No Guard): Can create some nice new options. As far as I know, no Natural Cure mon has any OHKO moves,so it's balanced.

Hydro Pump Spam. Nuff said.

Starmie @ Choice Specs
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Hydro Pump
- Blizzard
- Thunder (?)
- Psyshock

They now get access to a Substitute-Penetrating Spore (That gets blocked by Soundproof and Soul-Heart; but can work agains other Grass Types). While I don't see many things they could do with this, Roserade can set up Toxic Spikes (Or just the regular one), and Shaymin can... Uh... I don't know, really. It's just kind of there so watch out for it

Moxie (Multiscale): Lots of mons that have Moxie can also set up. If not taken care of correctly, it might and up snowballing and sweep you. The only mons with Moxie and Recovery, however, are Salamence and Honchkrow (And Drain Punch Scrafty).

Pressure (Primordial Sea)
: Raikou can use Weather Ball and Thunder (As can Zapdos), Articuno, while still not impressive, loses a weakness and has 100¢ acc Hurrikane and Suicune can apreciate the Rain Boost. While Bisharp can also avoid a Fire Weakness, it should still have Defiant for the most part.

Defiant (Delta Stream): Braviary and Tornadus come to mind. They both have essentially no weaknesses and can surpass other weathers.

Speed Boost (Stakeout): While not many Speed Boost users are that threatning, they can sometimes force switches. SD Scolipede and Yanmega could both work.

Soundproof (Speed Boost): Exploud has a surprisingly large movepool, as well as having Boomburst. While it's Base Speed is still rather bad, and it's offensive stats aren't anything impressive, it can be a bigger threat now without the need of Scarf, being able to run Choice Specs or Life Orb.

Scrappy (Serene Grace): Miltank can be much more of an annoyance now with Body Slam + Headbutt working as a ParaFlincher. It's also faster than Togekiss. Another option is Air Slash Swellow.

I'll probably list more later.

Reactions: nv
I have breached 1400 on Mix and Mega, so hopefully I can come up with a decent metagame.
Left to Right to Left Back

Premise:
The best way to explain the premise is an example.
Say that the mon in your second slot is a Mega Aerodactyl. The mon in the first slot is a Lucario. Mon in the third slot is a Dragalge.
The Aerodactyl, even when Mega evolved, will have the abilities: Poison Point, Poison Touch, or Adaptability. It would gain access to the moves Blaze Kick, High Jump Kick, Aura Sphere, Bullet Punch, etc. However, Aerodactyl would lose access to its abilities, and its own movepool.
Each pokemon would lose their abilities for the ones of the mon in the next slot, and the movepool of the mon in the previous slot. This loops so Slot 1 gets Slot 6's movepool, and Slot 6 gets Slot 1's abilities.

Potential bans and threats: Definite bans: Huge Power, Pure Power, Comatose, Regigigas, Archeops, Slaking, Smeargle, Shedinja.
Possible Bans: Beast Boost, Speed Boost, Protean, Water Bubble, Golisopod.

Questions for the community: Would it be too hard to code it so mega evolutions keep the abilities of the next slot?
Is this Idea too similar to Inheritance?

Last edited:

Samtendo09

is a Pre-Contributor
I have breached 1400 on Mix and Mega, so hopefully I can come up with a decent metagame.
Left to Right

Premise:
The best way to explain the premise is an example.
Say that the mon in your second slot is a Mega Aerodactyl. The mon in the first slot is a Lucario. Mon in the third slot is a Dragalge.
The Aerodactyl, even when Mega Evolved, will have the abilities: Poison Point, Poison Touch, or Adaptability. It would gain access to the moves Blaze Kick, High Jump Kick, Aura Sphere, Bullet Punch, etc. However, Aerodactyl would lose access to its abilities, and its own movepool.
Each pokemon would lose their abilities for the ones of the mon in the next slot, and the movepool of the mon in the previous slot. This loops so Slot 1 gets Slot 6's movepool, and Slot 6 gets Slot 1's abilities.

Potential bans and threats: Definite bans: Huge Power, Pure Power, Comatose, Regigigas, Archeops, Slaking, Smeargle, Shedinja.
Possible Bans: Beast Boost, Speed Boost, Protean, Water Bubble, Golisopod.

Questions for the community: Would it be too hard to code it so mega evolutions keep the abilities of the next slot?
Is this Idea too similar to Inheritance?
I don't see why Golisopod could be banned, besides First Impression.

I also could think of Extreme Speeder + Pokémon with very high Attack, either Fairy, Ice, Flying or Electric + -ate or -ize Ability, in which once a setup, will sweep like crazy.

Monomon:
Metagame Premise:
Teams consisting of 6 of the same species. (Alolan forms and Rotom forms don't count because they have different typings and movesets.)
Potential Bans and Threats: Monotype banlist, Pokemon with incredibly versatile movesets and stats (e.g. Jirachi, Mew), Item Clause
Questions for the Community: Should alternate forms be allowed to mix with regular forms (such as Keldeo-Ordinary being on the same team as Keldeo-Resolute)?

Sample Teams: https://pastebin.com/qgYTZVFj , https://pastebin.com/C8er8Wrb , https://pastebin.com/kSuuivtJ

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)