SM OU ZardX Offense

Which mom needs the most work!

• Total voters
I wanted this team to be an offensive team with Zard X and Ash-ninja as my primary wincons. I like both of those mons and enjoy their offensive synergy and ability to take care of each other’s checks. I've peaked at 1476. (Don't have a pic, sorry)

Primordus (Charizard-Mega-X) @ Charizardite X
Ability: Tough Claws
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
Flare Blitz
Dragon Claw
Earthquake
Dragon Dance

This is your basic Jolly ZardX. I chose EQ over roost for the added bonus of dealing with Heatran and Electric types. The only major problems I have with it are Lando-T w/ Rocky Helmet and Scarf Keldeo.

Sheik (Greninja-Ash) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Battle Bond
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
Hydro Pump
Ice Beam
Dark Pulse
Water Shuriken

Again, more of a cookie-cutter set, but instead of U-Turn, I use Ice Beam to deal with Tangrowth switch-ins and Garchomp.

252 SpA Choice Specs Greninja-Ash Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Assault Vest Tangrowth: 240-284 (59.4 - 70.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Specs Greninja-Ash Ice Beam vs. 248 HP / 48 SpD Tangrowth: 530-624 (131.5 - 154.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Kudzu (Tapu Bulu) @ Choice Band
Ability: Grassy Surge
EVs: 84 HP / 252 Atk / 172 Spe
Adamant Nature
Horn Leech
Zen Headbut
Stone Edge
Superpower

From the other two, I saw I had a weakness to bulky waters. Best solution was to complete the FWG core with something that could pack a strong grassy punch without sacrificing coverage. What better for that than Band Adamant Bulu? I thought about including Mega Horn, but stone edge has proven more reliable due to mons weak to Megahorn usually switch out into something fiery.
I have Zen Headbut for Mega Venusaur switch-ins.

Terra (Landorus-Therian) @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 248 HP / 216 Def / 28 SpD / 16 Spe
Impish Nature
Earthquake
U-Turn
Hidden Power Ice
Stealth Rock

Now I needed a rocks setter, so I chose the best of the best: Lando-T. It provides a ground immunity for Zard X and slow U-turn for safe switching. I chose HP Ice over Knock Off or Stone Edge for opposing Landorus-Ts, which I would otherwise have a problem with. The 28 SpD guarantees a 2HKO from Life Orb Tapu Koko HP Ice.

252 SpA Life Orb Tapu Koko Hidden Power Ice vs. 248 HP / 28 SpD Landorus-Therian: 322-380 (84.5 - 99.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

0 Atk Landorus-Therian Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Tapu Koko in Electric Terrain: 338-402 (120.2 - 143%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Titania (Tapu Fini) @ Leftovers
Ability: Misty Surge
EVs: 252 HP / 160 Def / 96 SpD
Calm Nature
Hydro Pump
Nature’s Madness
Taunt
Defog

Wait, I'm using Zard; I need a spinner or a defogger. I looked at my available options and decided against Skarmory and Starmie due to a general special weakness and a water sweeper already present. This monster can take most hits easily and then half the health of switch ins with NM. Taunt is for Toxapex and Ferrothorn switch ins and Smeargle leads.

Mordrem (Nihilego) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
Thunderbolt
Sludge Wave
Power Gem
Psychic

Now I had an extreme weakness to poison damage, so I wanted a steel type. I tried Scarf Magnezone, Chople Berry Magnezone, then Sash Magnezone. I really wanted Magnezone, however I just couldn't get past how slow it is. I asked around in OU chat and Competitive tutoring and many people suggested Scarf Nihilego. My only concern is it really suffers from 4 moves syndrome. Since I have Ice Beam and HP Ice elsewhere, and I have a slight (large) problem with Mega Venusaur, I chose Psychic.

As stated, I have a large problem overall breaking Mega Venusaur based stall, and Scarf Keldeo if Fini is down.

Gross Sweep

Plan Ahead
is a CAP Contributoris a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
hey Lord Daedhelor your team is definitely interesting. Charizard-X who was a dominate force in the 6th Generation has seen a strong drop off in usage due to metagame trends. to answer your question on why Zard-X is the weakest link I feel there are two prominent answers:

1) Landorus-Therian has seen an increase in usage. With Landorus-T being run on about 40% of teams a Zard-X sweep becomes very difficult. Landorus can simply come in and intimidate the Zard-X, and scare it out with Earthquake. This ability to repeatedly come in on Zard-X has really hurt its viability since getting to +1 safely is no longer such a clean sweep.

2) The rise of the 101+ scarfer. With Volcarona rising to power this generation many teams slap on a scarfer who has a higher base speed and can revenge like Garchomp, Nihilego, and Keldeo. This is an issue since many of these scarfers also easily revenge Zard-X meaning a sweep is not very easy to obtain at +1 (and almost no one is letting Zard-X set up a pair of Dragon Dances).

Basically the meta has not been kind to Zard-X with many of its best checks and counters becoming staples in the tier. Also right now the tier is severely lacking in decent removal making it difficult to keep rocks off the field, which makes it difficult to keep Zard-X who is very weak to rocks healthy. With this in mind my rate will definitely look to make sure the team keeps Landorus-Therian, the 101+ scarfers mentioned above in check, as well as, better take on threats the team struggles against now such as Tapu Lele. While keeping the central goal of sweeping with Charizard-X intact of course.

>
You mentioned the want for a steel type in this slot, but no way of making it work - which is what I hope to accomplish with this change along with a few other provisional changes. I want to suggest Magearna>Nihilego. This change Provides the team with a solid answer to Tapu Lele and Ash Greninja, also helping the team gain momentum by forming a Volt Turn core with Landorus-T. The Move Set I'm suggesting is Fleur Cannon / Flash Cannon / Aura Sphere / Volt Switch with the EV Spread: 200 Hp / 56 SpA / 252 SpDef Modest Nature with the item Assault Vest. Fleur Cannon and Flash Cannon are strong stabs allowing Magearna to deal great damage. Aura Sphere was added as a coverage move as it allows Magearna to help wear down steels that wall it otherwise, along with its value of helping wear down Heatran who can be tough for Zard-X to break. The EV Spread allows Magearna to come in twice against Specs Gengar, as well as, better checking threats like Greninja and Tapu Koko who could become annoying otherwise. Overall I feel this change really helps the team with momentum, and defensive utility which is a huge plus to a more offensive squad like this.

>
I really like the idea of a mon like Greninja on this team, however, with the removal of Nihilego there are some holes we need to patch - such as checking Volcarona. With This in mind I feel the swap of Protean Greninja>Ash Greninja will be very fruitful. The Move Set I'm suggesting is Rock Slide / Gunk Shot / Hydro Pump / U-turn with the EV Spread: 252 Att / 252 Spe / 4 Spa Hasty Nature with the ability Protean and the item Choice Scarf. This change allows the team to still have a solid revenge killer with similar coverage as Nihilego with Rock Slide and Gunk Shot, plus Greninja can run Hydro Pump helping weaken things like Heatran and Landorus-T who are bothersome to your Charizard-X. Basically this change fills the needed roles of Volc Check and revenge killer, and helps the team gain momentum which is always nice.

I like Tapu Fini on this team helping vs stall and providing Defog for Charizard-X, but there is one set change I'd like to make which is Moonblast>Hydro Pump. This allows Tapu Fini to more reliably check threats like Garchomp and Zygarde, as well as, better checking Keldeo who you mentioned having issues with before. This change also allows Tapu Fini to be more care free launching off attacks since it has more than the 8 pp Hydro Pump has to offer which can be fairly easily stalled out vs Tapu Fini. This swap basically comes down to consistency, as a Tapu Fini with Hydro Pump just isn't able to serve as check to offesive waters like Keldeo and Ash Greninja if it can't reliably dish out some sort of damage aside from halving them with Nature's Madness. This is optional but the EV Spread: 248 HP / 176 Def / 16 SpD / 68 Spe allows Tapu Fini to creep defensive Landorus-T, while up keeping solid mixed bulk - so just something to try out.

I really like Tapu Bulu on your team, but seeing that it's your teams main option vs stall (with Fini being your second) I'd prefer to make the set a tad more consistent towards fatter teams. The Set I had in mind was Swords Dance / Horn Leech / Superpower / Zen Headbutt with the EV Spread: 252 Att / 4 Def / 252 Spe Adamant Nature with the item Grassium Z. The ability for Tapu Bulu to set up an SD is great vs stall as it allows Tapu Bulu to rip through fatter teams at +2, and if your opponent tries to wall you with Clefable you can simply Bloom Doom them - which has a decent shot at knocking your opponent out after rocks, so just chip it a little. You also mentioned M-Venusaur being an issue, but not anymore as can deal big damage with Zen Headbutt whenever since you are no longer choice locked with Tapu Bulu.

Review of Changes
  • Nihilego -> Magearna
  • Ash Greninja -> Choice Scarf Protean Greninja
  • Tapu Fini: Hydro Pump -> Moonblast
  • Tapu Bulu: Choice Band -> SD Grassium Z
This team was really fun to rate, and I hope you like the end result. I feel this version of the team takes on a lot of Charizard's checks better, while still revolving around a Zard-X sweep. If you have any questions or concerns let me know in the thread or feel free to send me a PM. Hope I helped, and good luck with the team.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)