Doubles Terrakion

DaAwesomeDude1

waiting for a moment
is a Top Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnus
[OVERVIEW]

Terrakion is a strong Pokemon with access to powerful STAB attacks that let it threaten common Pokemon, such as Zapdos, Tyranitar, and Snorlax. While strong, however, Terrakion won't do very much damage if it doesn't hit super effectively. It is also very linear. Its base 108 Speed, while fast, means it is outpaced by Tapu Koko and Mega Metagross, both of which can threaten it. Furthermore, Terrakion is very susceptible to Intimidate, and it is also somewhat frail and has lowered longevity due to Close Combat drops and especially if running Life Orb. Terrakion's typing, while great offensively, leaves it susceptible to common spread attacks in the tier, such as Earthquake and Muddy Water from Landorus-T and Tapu Fini, respectively. It is heavily threatened by common Steel-types, such as Aegislash, which completely walls it, and Mega Metagross, which can outrun Terrakion and OHKO it. Nonetheless, Terrakion finds a place on teams as a solid anti-metagame choice by being able to threaten common Pokemon found in bulky offense.

[SET]
name: Physical Attacker
move 1: Close Combat
move 2: Rock Slide / Stone Edge
move 3: Poison Jab / Taunt
move 4: Protect
item: Life Orb / Rockium Z
ability: Justified
nature: Jolly
evs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Close Combat is Terrakion's strongest Fighting-type STAB attack. Rock Slide is the prefered Rock-type STAB attack, as it is able to hit both foes and has a chance to induce flinch; on the other hand, Stone Edge bypasses Wide Guard and is also much stronger, with it being able to OHKO Mega Salamence and Zapdos most notably. Poison Jab lets Terrakion hit Tapu Fini, Tapu Bulu, and Tapu Lele for super effective damage. Taunt is an option to stop status moves, such as Trick Room, Tailwind, Wide Guard, and setup moves. Protect shields Terrakion from attacks and can notably protect it from a super effective hit, thus allowing its partner to potentially beat that threat.

Set Details
========

Maximum Speed EVs with a Jolly nature ensure that Terrakion is as fast as possible, and maximum Attack EVs allow it to hit as hard as possible. Life Orb is the preferred item, as it boosts the power of Terrakion's attacks. Rockium Z gives Terrakion a much stronger Rock-type attack that bypasses Wide Guard. It should not be used with Stone Edge on the same set, however, as Life Orb-boosted Stone Edge accomplishes the same thing.

Usage Tips
========

Terrakion is the perfect Pokemon to beat bulky offense, as it is able to threaten common Pokemon found on those teams, such as Zapdos, Snorlax, Ferrothorn, and Heatran. Terrakion is mostly used to beat those common bulky Pokemon, most notably Snorlax and Zapdos, so keep Terrakion healthy so it can better take on those two. If worse comes to worst, Terrakion can make use of its decent Speed to fish for Rock Slide flinches, but that isn't recommended and should only be used as a last resort. If using Beat Up, it can be hard to set up due to the frailty of the Beat Up users that Terrakion is usually paired with. It is best to set up on Pokemon that Terrakion can outspeed and threaten, such as Zapdos and Mega Charizard Y. Make sure that faster threats that can revenge kill Terrakion, such as Choice Scarf Landorus-T and Mega Metagross, are eliminated or that there is some form of speed control up. Try to use Beat Up earlier in the game so that Terrakion gets the most boosts possible.

Team Options
========

Terrakion is able to fit on most teams pretty easily. Once seen as a gimmick, Beat Up is now a viable option, as most teams tend to lack solid Rock-resistant Pokemon and are based around slower, bulkier Pokemon setting up. This drastically slower pace in the game allows Terrakion to easily set up and threaten those teams. Weavile can give Terrakion free boosts with Beat Up, check common Intimidate Pokemon such as Salamence and Landorus-T, and support Terrakion with Fake Out. Whimsicott is another option for Beat Up, as it is able to mitigate Terrakion's mediocre Speed with Tailwind.

Mega Charizard Y can beat pesky Steel and Water-types that threaten Terrakion and has access to Tailwind to mitigate Terrakion's mediocre Speed. Terrakion, in return, can threaten Zapdos, Heatran, and Tyranitar, which are common Pokemon that threaten Charizard. Tapu Fini and Milotic are also great partners. Tapu Fini, while much less effective than Weavile and Whimsicott, can still perform the same role by being able to give Terrakion a free +2 Attack boost with Swagger. Tapu Fini can also threaten Landorus-T, a common Terrakion switch-in. Milotic, on the other hand, discourages the opponent from switching in their Intimidate user. In return, Terrakion can beat Zapdos to support Tapu Fini and Milotic. Terrakion tends to work well on rain teams, as it can handle Zapdos and Ferrothorn, which are both common Pokemon that threaten rain teams.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Quick Guard can block priority attacks. Focus Sash is an option so that Terrakion can survive a super effective hit. It also mitigates the defense drops from Close Combat, since it guarantees that Terrakion will take a hit if at full health. Earthquake with Groundium Z allows Terrakion to get a surprise hit on Aegislash. Shuca Berry and Adrenaline Orb are great options for Terrakion to be used with Beat Up. Shuca Berry allows Terrakion to survive an Earthquake from Choice Scarf Landorus-T, while Adrenaline Orb essentially gives Terrakion a free Choice Scarf with the ability to switch moves if the opponent sends in an Intimidate user against it, which is common.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Steel-types**: While Terrakion is a Fighting-type, it cannot beat most common Steel-types found in the tier. Aegislash completely walls it, Mega Metagross can outrun it and OHKO with a super effective attack, and Celesteela can block Rock Slide with Wide Guard and threaten Terrakion with Heavy Slam.

**Faster Pokemon**: Terrakion is pretty frail, so anything faster with a super effective coverage attack can usually beat it. Pokemon such as Deoxys-A, Choice Scarf Landorus-T, and Choice Scarf Tapu Lele can beat Terrakion.

**Tailwind and Trick Room**. Terrakion relies heavily on its Speed to pressure the opponent's team. With speed control, slower Pokemon can take advantage of Terrakion's frailty and threaten it.

**Intimidate**: As it is a physical attacker, Terrakion suffers greatly from Intimidate. Terrakion is pretty weak as is, so if its Attack is dropped with Intimidate, it will be dead weight. Landorus-T can switch into Terrakion fairly easily, as it takes very little damage from Rock Slide after the Intimidate drop.

**Wide Guard**: Rock Slide is Terrakion's primary Rock-type STAB attack and is blocked by Wide Guard users, such as Aegislash and Celesteela, with Aegislash also completely walling Terrakion. Araquanid can also block Rock Slide; however, it cannot switch in and has to be wary of Rockium Z.

Last edited:

Pocket

be the upgraded version of me
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Hi DAD1 :>

Idk if either LO or sash is good on Terrakion when combined with Beat Up Partner. Terrakion doesn't want to be taking recoil when it's at +6 already. Tagging Terracott users Level 51 Matame Demantoid for feedback. I think the item of choice would be among Z crystals, resist berries, Lum Berry, or Hard Stone.

Scarf Terrakion + Scarf Beat Up user is worth an OO mention. As well as Swords Dance and Substitute. Bring up Groundium Z / Tectonic Rage when you mention about EQ (mainly good for finishing Aegislash)

I wouldn't mention Sacred Sword in OO; I don't think it's worth the moveslot. Instead I would suggest Fightinium Z / All-Out Pummeling

Pocket

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Level 51 reminded me that Kee Berry exists :d. free +1 Def boost from Beat Up to survive EQs and such.

talkingtree

large if factual
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SCL Champion
Don't have time for a full check rn, but a few quick things. Set should be:

[SET]
move 1: Rock Slide / Stone Edge
move 2: Close Combat

Sash can be OO, didn't want Rock Slide + Stone Edge on the same set when you can accomplish something similar with Rockium + Rock Slide and still have a free moveslot.

Make it clear that Rockium shouldn't go with Stone Edge - LO Stone Edge actually has a chance to 2HKO CM Fini which is pretty swell

Adrenaline Orb in OO is similar to the ideas with Shuca / dual Scarf - lets you take on lando-t with Terraville and also helps against Mence, but allows you to switch up moves unlike scarf.

I'd leave out SD and Sub, both seem pretty niche. Ditto for Fightinium, though I could be swayed on that.

Recommend Weavile before or instead of Whimsicott because it's actually ranked

talkingtree

large if factual
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SCL Champion
Mention Terrak's frailty in the Overview, especially factoring CC drops and potential LO recoil. Other than that, I can't find anything to change, great job!
QC 1/2

GenOne

DOU main. GMT-7. PS!: GenOne
is a Community Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
QC 2/2 once you implement the changes below!

• [OVERVIEW] Remove the bit about how Terrakion "is not fast enough for the current meta." That's subjective and an extraneous detail, since you already mention which mons outpace it.
  • [OVERVIEW] Remove the mention about how Terrak is susceptible to burns. Mainstream teams aren't ever packing will-o-wisp, and the next best thing Scald/Steam Eruption is probably gonna KO Terrak before it scores the burn.
  • [OVERVIEW] "has lowered longevity due to Close Combat drops and Life Orb recoil" As this bit reads right now, the overview implies that Terrak *always* runs Life Orb, which contradicts what you've listed for the set. A slight change in the wording to something along the lines of "and especially if running Life Orb" would make be enough to dial in this sentence while preserving what you originally said.
  • [OVERVIEW] Provide examples of the mons running Earthquake and Muddy Water (presumably Lando and Fini).
  • [OVERVIEW] Celesteela doesn't really wall Terrakion because: 252 Atk Life Orb Terrakion Close Combat vs. 232 HP / 0 Def Celesteela: 247-292 (62.8 - 74.3%). However, Celesteela's Heavy Slam has a 50% to OHKO Terrak from full health, so mention how some Steel-type attackers like Celesteela and Mega Metagross threaten to OHKO Terrak while having either enough Bulk or Speed to survive Terrakion's attacks. Still mention how Aegislash completely walls Terrakion and forces it out in most scenarios.
  • [SET COMMENTS: Moves] When you mention Poison Jab, also mention how you kill Bulu, which otherwise would survive Terrak's attack then murder it with its Grass moves!
  • [SET COMMENTS: Set Details] "Gide guard"
  • [SET COMMENTS: Usage Tips] Since Beat Up is discussed in team options, mention some tips here about how to optimally position Terrakion to take a Beat Up boost before opponents manage to thwart that plot.
  • [SET COMMENTS: Team Options] I don't know whether your intent was to mention Mega Charizard Y as a third Beat Up user, but it gets the move, so make it clear whether you're recommending Zard just as a generally good partner, or weather you're still talking about Beat Up (or both??).
  • [SET COMMENTS: Team Options] Mention how Terrakion is especially good at supporting Rain teams, which otherwise struggle to break through Ferrothorn.
  • [SET COMMENTS: Team Options] Milotic offers good type synergy with Terrakion, and helps deter the opponent from switching in Intimidate users like Landorus-T and Mega Salamence.
  • [STRATEGY COMMENTS: Checks and Counters] Add a tag for **Tailwind and Trick Room**. Terrakion is a fast and frail mon that relies on its speed to pressure the opponent, so both Tailwind and Trick Room make Terrakion pretty vulnerable.
  • [STRATEGY COMMENTS: Checks and Counters] Add a tag for **Wide Guard**. Not being able to use Rock Slide really sucks for Terrakion. Celesteela, Aegislash and Araquanid all threaten this, although Araquanid needs to be careful for Terrakions packing Stone Edge or Rockium Z.
  • [STRATEGY COMMENTS: Checks and Counters] Remove "burns" from the tag about Intimidate and Burns.

Last edited:

DaAwesomeDude1

waiting for a moment
Sorry I've got a few things to say about this so I guess I'll mention my pov

[OVERVIEW] Remove the bit about how Terrakion "is not fast enough for the current meta." That's subjective and an extraneous detail, since you already mention which mons outpace it.
I personally think this point is pretty important. I can reword it to say that its speed is awkward or something but its speed is really something, imo, that holds it back since stuff like koko and mence can threaten it after it gets chipped

[OVERVIEW] Provide examples of the mons running Earthquake and Muddy Water (presumably Lando and Fini).
I don't really see the need to mention what pokemon uses those spread moves, seems like its just unnecessary information when you get the same point based on what i said originally

[SET COMMENTS: Team Options] I don't know whether your intent was to mention Mega Charizard Y as a third Beat Up user, but it gets the move, so make it clear whether you're recommending Zard just as a generally good partner, or weather you're still talking about Beat Up (or both??).
"Mega Charizard Y can beat pesky Steel and Water-types that threaten Terrakion. Charizard also has access to Tailwind to mitigate Terrakion's mediocre Speed."
I mean I didn't mention charizard getting beat up and I said that it beats steel and water types that threaten terrakion so I think its pretty clear that I'm saying its generally a good partner

[SET COMMENTS: Usage Tips] Since Beat Up is discussed in team options, mention some tips here about how to optimally position Terrakion to take a Beat Up boost before opponents manage to thwart that plot.
I personally don't think i should mention beat up in usage tips since its still a pretty situational thing to use and doesn't really fit on every single team, especially since i mentioned how splashable terrak is. The main set is also based on a terrak that you just put on your team, not one to use beat up with. I guess I can say if you're using beat up set up on stuff that can't touch terrak or that terrak is faster than like zapdos and zard or lead beat up if your opp looks weak to it but considering the usual beat up partners its paired with, its kinda hard to talk about positioning since it isn't as easy to setup as stuff like zygarde/lax without giving a lot of situational circumstances that'll probably be unnecessary info

updated everything else tho

E: I just made the whole tag speed control instead.

Last edited:

Pocket

I'd definitely elaborate on Beat Up + Justified strategy in usage tips. It's a common strategy seen a lot in ssnl matches and it should be accounted in the usage tips

if you need some feedback from players who've used it, I think Level 51 Demantoid are good players to ask. I know there's more players who used Terra Up, but I can't think off the top of my head

DaAwesomeDude1

waiting for a moment
Sorry I've got a few things to say about this so I guess I'll mention my pov

I personally think this point is pretty important. I can reword it to say that its speed is awkward or something but its speed is really something, imo, that holds it back since stuff like koko and mence can threaten it after it gets chipped

I don't really see the need to mention what pokemon uses those spread moves, seems like its just unnecessary information when you get the same point based on what i said originally

"Mega Charizard Y can beat pesky Steel and Water-types that threaten Terrakion. Charizard also has access to Tailwind to mitigate Terrakion's mediocre Speed."
I mean I didn't mention charizard getting beat up and I said that it beats steel and water types that threaten terrakion so I think its pretty clear that I'm saying its generally a good partner

I personally don't think i should mention beat up in usage tips since its still a pretty situational thing to use and doesn't really fit on every single team, especially since i mentioned how splashable terrak is. The main set is also based on a terrak that you just put on your team, not one to use beat up with. I guess I can say if you're using beat up set up on stuff that can't touch terrak or that terrak is faster than like zapdos and zard or lead beat up if your opp looks weak to it but considering the usual beat up partners its paired with, its kinda hard to talk about positioning since it isn't as easy to setup as stuff like zygarde/lax without giving a lot of situational circumstances that'll probably be unnecessary info

updated everything else tho

E: I just made the whole tag speed control instead.
talked about it in pms and I made all the changes in genone's original post. posting just to make sure there isn't any confusion

P Squared

a great unrecorded history
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
people do not live gunshots, Terrakion does not live a hit

GP 1/2

[OVERVIEW]

Terrakion is a strong Pokemon with access to powerful STAB attacks that let it threaten common Pokemon, such as Zapdos, Tyranitar, and Snorlax. While strong, Terrakion, however, Terrakion won't do very much damage if it's not a super effective hit. It is also very linear. Its base 108 Speed, while fast, means it is outpaced by Tapu Koko and Mega Metagross, both of which can threaten it. Terrakion is very susceptible to Intimidate. It is also somewhat frail and has lowered longevity due to Close Combat drops and especially if you're running Life Orb. Terrakion's typing, while great offensively, leaves it susceptible to common spread attacks in the tier, such as Earthquake and Muddy Water from Landorus-T and Tapu Fini, (add comma) respectively. It is also heavily threatened by common Steel-types, such as Aegislash, which completely walls it, and Mega Metagross, (add comma) which can outrun Terrakion and OHKO it. Nonetheless, Terrakion finds a place on teams as by being a solid anti-metagame choice by being able to threaten common Pokemon found in bulky offense.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Close Combat is Terrakion's strongest Fighting-type STAB attack. Rock Slide is the preffered Rock-type STAB attack, as it is able to hit both foes opponents and has a chance to induce flinch; however, Stone Edge bypasses Wide Guard and is also much stronger, with it being able to OHKO Mega Salamence and Zapdos most notably. Poison Jab lets Terrakion hit Tapu Fini, Tapu Bulu, and Tapu Lele for super effective damage. Taunt is an option to stop status moves, such as Trick Room, Tailwind, Wide Guard, and setup moves. Protect shields Terrakion from a super effective hit, thus allowing its partner to potentially beat that threat.

Set Details
========

Maximum Speed EVs with a Jolly nature ensures ensure that Terrakion is as fast as possible, while maximum Attack EVs allows allow it to hit as hard as possible. Life Orb is the preferred item, as it boosts the power of Terrakion's attacks. Rockium Z gives Terrakion a much stronger Rock-type attack that bypasses Wide Guard. It should not be used with Stone Edge on the same set, however, as Life Orb-boosted Stone Edge accomplishes the same thing.

Usage Tips
========

Terrakion is the perfect Pokemon to beat the rise of bulky offense, as it is able to threaten common Pokemon found on those teams, such as Zapdos, Snorlax, Ferrothorn, and Heatran. Terrakion, however, is mostly used to beat those common bulky Pokemon, most notably Snorlax and Zapdos, so keep Terrakion healthy so it can better take on those two. If worse comes to worst worse, Terrakion can make use of its decent Speed to fish for Rock Slide flinches, but that isn't recommended and should only be used as a last resort. If using Beat Up, it can be hard to set up, (RC) due to the frailty of how frail the Beat Up users are that Terrakion is usually paired with. It is best to set up on Pokemon that Terrakion can outspeed and threaten, such as Zapdos and Mega Charizard Y. Make sure that faster threats that can revenge kill Terrakion, such as Choice Scarf Landorus-T and Mega Metagross, are either eliminated or that there is some form of speed control up. Try to use Beat Up earlier in the game so that Terrakion gets the most boosts as possible.

Team Options
========

Terrakion is able to fit on most teams pretty easily. When thinking of Terrakion, one of the first thing that comes to mind is Beat Up. Once seen as a gimmick, Beat Up is now a viable option, as most teams tend to lack any solid Rock-resistant Pokemon resists while also being more based on and are based around slower, bulkier Pokemon setting up. This drastically slower pace in the game allows Terrakion to easily set up and threaten those teams. Weavile can give Terrakion a free boost with Beat Up while also being able to, (add comma) check common Intimidateors Pokemon such as Salamence and Landorus-T. Weavile can also, and support Terrakoinion with Fake Out. Whimsicott is another option for Beat Up, as it is able to mitigate Terrakion's mediocre Speed with Tailwind.

Mega Charizard Y can beat pesky Steel- and Water-types that threaten Terrakion. Charizard also and has access to Tailwind to mitigate Terrakion's mediocre Speed. Terrakion, in return response, can threaten Zapdos, Heatran, and Tyranitar, (add comma) which are common Pokemon that threaten Charizard. Bulky Water-types, such as Tapu Fini and Milotic, also are great partners (because?). Tapu Fini, while much less effective than Weavile and Whimsicott, can still perform the same role by being able to give Terrakion a free +2 Attack boost with Swagger. Tapu Fini can also threaten Landorus-T, a common Terrakion switch-in. Milotic, on the other hand, discourages the opponent from switching in their Intimidate user. In return, Terrakion, in response, can beat Zapdos to support Tapu Fini and Milotic. Terrakion tends to work well on rain teams, as it can handle threaten Zapdos and Ferrothorn, which are both common Pokemon that threaten rain teams.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Quick Guard can block priority attacks. Focus Sash is an option so that Terrakion can survive live a super effective hit. It also mitigates the defense drops from Close Combat, since it guarantees that Terrakion will take lives a hit if at full health. Earthquake with Groundium Z allows Terrakion to get a surprise hit on Aegislash. Shuca Berry and Adrenaline Orb are great options for Terrakion to be used with Beat Up. Shuca Berry allows Terrakion to survive live Earthquake from Choice Scarf Landorus-T, while Adrenaline Orb essentially gives Terrakion a free Choice Scarf with the ability to switch moves if the opponent. It is common to sends in an Intimidate user against it, which is common Terrakion so Adrenaline Orb takes advantage of that and gives Terrakion a free +1 Speed boost.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Steel-types**: While Terrakion is a Fighting-type, it cannot beat most common Steel-types found in the tier. Aegislash completely walls it, Mega Metagross can outrun it and OHKO with a super effective attack, and Celesteela can block Rock Slide with Wide Guard and threaten Terrakion with Heavy Slam.

**Faster Pokemon**: Terrakion is pretty frail, (add comma) so anything faster with a super effective coverage attack can usually beat it. Pokemon such as Deoxys-A, Choice Scarf Landorus-T, and Choice Scarf Tapu Lele can beat Terrakion.

**Tailwind and Trick Room**. Terrakion relies heavily on its Speed to pressure the opponent's team. With speed control Without it, slower Pokemon can take advantage of Terrakion's frailty fraility and threaten it.

**Intimidate**: As it is a physical attacker, Terrakion suffers greatly from Intimidate. Terrakion is pretty weak as is, (add comma) so if its Attack is dropped with is Intimidated, it will be dead weight. Landorus-T can switch into Terrakion fairly easily, as it takes very small damage from Rock Slide after the Intimidate drop.

**Wide Guard**: Rock Slide is Terrakion's primary Rock-type STAB attack that has an added benefit of flinching. and is blocked by Wide Guard users, such as Aegislash and Celesteela, can both block Rock Slide with Aegislash also completely walling Terrakion. Araquanid can also block Rock Slide; however, it cannot switch in and has to be wary of Rockium Z.

Last edited:

lotiasite

undedgy
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
hi, gp 2/2
[OVERVIEW]

Terrakion is a strong Pokemon with access to powerful STAB attacks that let it threaten common Pokemon, such as Zapdos, Tyranitar, and Snorlax. While strong, however, Terrakion won't do very much damage if it's not a super effective hit it doesn't hit super effectively (the only issue here is just the subject of "it" changing). It is also very linear. Its base 108 Speed, while fast, means it is outpaced by Tapu Koko and Mega Metagross, both of which can threaten it. Furthermore, Terrakion is very susceptible to Intimidate, (AC) and it is also somewhat frail and has lowered longevity due to Close Combat drops and especially if running Life Orb. Terrakion's typing, while great offensively, leaves it susceptible to common spread attacks in the tier, such as Earthquake and Muddy Water from Landorus-T and Tapu Fini, respectively. It is heavily threatened by common Steel-types, such as Aegislash, which completely walls it, and Mega Metagross, which can outrun Terrakion and OHKO it. Nonetheless, Terrakion finds a place on teams as a solid anti-metagame choice by being able to threaten common Pokemon found in on bulky offense.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Close Combat is Terrakion's strongest Fighting-type STAB attack. Rock Slide is the preffered preferred Rock-type STAB attack, as it is able to hit both foes and has a chance to induce flinch; however, on the other hand, Stone Edge bypasses Wide Guard and is also much stronger, with it being able to OHKO Mega Salamence and Zapdos most notably. Poison Jab lets Terrakion hit Tapu Fini, Tapu Bulu, and Tapu Lele for super effective damage. Taunt is an option to stop status moves, such as Trick Room, Tailwind, Wide Guard, and setup moves. Protect shields Terrakion from attacks and can notably protect it from a super effective hit, thus allowing its partner to potentially beat that threat.

Set Details
========

Maximum Speed EVs with a Jolly nature ensure that Terrakion is as fast as possible, while and maximum Attack EVs allow it to hit as hard as possible. Life Orb is the preferred item, as it boosts the power of Terrakion's attacks. Rockium Z gives Terrakion a much stronger Rock-type attack that bypasses Wide Guard. It should not be used with Stone Edge on the same set, however, as Life Orb-boosted Stone Edge accomplishes the same thing. (explain justified. it also seems pretty important because of beat up shenanigans)

Usage Tips
========

Terrakion is the perfect Pokemon to beat the rise of bulky offense, as it is able to threaten common Pokemon found on those teams, such as Zapdos, Snorlax, Ferrothorn, and Heatran. Terrakion, however, ("however" seems out of place here) is mostly used to beat those common bulky Pokemon, most notably Snorlax and Zapdos, so keep Terrakion healthy so it can better take on those two. If worse comes to worst, Terrakion can make use of its decent Speed to fish for Rock Slide flinches, but that isn't recommended and should only be used as a last resort. If using Beat Up, it can be hard to set up due to the frailty of the Beat Up users that Terrakion is usually paired with. It is best to set up on Pokemon that Terrakion can outspeed and threaten, such as Zapdos and Mega Charizard Y. Make sure that faster threats that can revenge kill Terrakion, such as Choice Scarf Landorus-T and Mega Metagross, are eliminated or that there is some form of speed control up. Try to use Beat Up earlier in the game so that Terrakion gets the most boosts possible.

Team Options
========

Terrakion is able to fit on most teams pretty easily. Once seen as a gimmick, Beat Up is now a viable option, as most teams tend to lack solid Rock-resistant Pokemon and are based around slower, bulkier Pokemon setting up. This drastically slower pace in the game allows Terrakion to easily set up and threaten those teams. Weavile can give Terrakion a free boosts with Beat Up, check common Intimidate Pokemon such as Salamence and Landorus-T, and support Terrakion with Fake Out. Whimsicott is another option for Beat Up, as it is able to mitigate Terrakion's mediocre Speed with Tailwind.

Mega Charizard Y can beat pesky Steel and Water-types that threaten Terrakion and has access to Tailwind to mitigate Terrakion's mediocre Speed. Terrakion, in return, can threaten Zapdos, Heatran, and Tyranitar, which are common Pokemon that threaten Charizard. Bulky Water-types, such as Tapu Fini and Milotic, also are great partners.(echoing p^2 here, why? it just seems that its only tapu fini and milotic cause they have their own specific role) Tapu Fini, while much less effective than Weavile and Whimsicott, can still perform the same role by being able to give Terrakion a free +2 Attack boost with Swagger. Tapu Fini can also threaten Landorus-T, a common Terrakion switch-(AH)in. Milotic, on the other hand, discourages the opponent from switching in their Intimidate user. In return, Terrakion can beat Zapdos to support Tapu Fini and Milotic. Terrakion tends to work well on rain teams, as it can handle Zapdos and Ferrothorn, which are both common Pokemon that threaten rain teams.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Quick Guard can block priority attacks. Focus Sash is an option so that Terrakion can survive a super effective hit. It also mitigates the defense drops from Close Combat, since it guarantees that Terrakion will take a hit if at full health. Earthquake with Groundium Z allows Terrakion to get a surprise hit on Aegislash. Shuca Berry and Adrenaline Orb are great options for Terrakion to be used with Beat Up. Shuca Berry allows Terrakion to survive an Earthquake from Choice Scarf Landorus-T, while Adrenaline Orb essentially gives Terrakion a free Choice Scarf with the ability to switch moves if the opponent sends in an Intimidate user against it, which is common.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Faster Pokemon**: Terrakion is pretty frail, so anything faster with a super effective coverage attack can usually beat it. Pokemon such as Deoxys-A, Choice Scarf Landorus-T, and Choice Scarf Tapu Lele can beat Terrakion.

**Tailwind and Trick Room**. Terrakion relies heavily on its Speed to pressure the opponent's team. With speed control, slower Pokemon can take advantage of Terrakion's frailty and threaten it.

**Intimidate**: As it is a physical attacker, Terrakion suffers greatly from Intimidate. Terrakion is pretty weak as is, so if its Attack is dropped with Intimidate, it will be dead weight. Landorus-T can switch into Terrakion fairly easily, as it takes very small little damage from Rock Slide after the Intimidate drop.

**Wide Guard**: Rock Slide is Terrakion's primary Rock-type STAB attack and is blocked by Wide Guard users, such as Aegislash and Celesteela, with Aegislash also completely walling Terrakion. Araquanid can also block Rock Slide; however, it cannot switch in and has to be wary of Rockium Z.

DaAwesomeDude1

waiting for a moment
hi, gp 2/2
[OVERVIEW]

Terrakion is a strong Pokemon with access to powerful STAB attacks that let it threaten common Pokemon, such as Zapdos, Tyranitar, and Snorlax. While strong, however, Terrakion won't do very much damage if it's not a super effective hit it doesn't hit super effectively (the only issue here is just the subject of "it" changing). It is also very linear. Its base 108 Speed, while fast, means it is outpaced by Tapu Koko and Mega Metagross, both of which can threaten it. Furthermore, Terrakion is very susceptible to Intimidate, (AC) and it is also somewhat frail and has lowered longevity due to Close Combat drops and especially if running Life Orb. Terrakion's typing, while great offensively, leaves it susceptible to common spread attacks in the tier, such as Earthquake and Muddy Water from Landorus-T and Tapu Fini, respectively. It is heavily threatened by common Steel-types, such as Aegislash, which completely walls it, and Mega Metagross, which can outrun Terrakion and OHKO it. Nonetheless, Terrakion finds a place on teams as a solid anti-metagame choice by being able to threaten common Pokemon found in on bulky offense.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Close Combat is Terrakion's strongest Fighting-type STAB attack. Rock Slide is the preffered preferred Rock-type STAB attack, as it is able to hit both foes and has a chance to induce flinch; however, on the other hand, Stone Edge bypasses Wide Guard and is also much stronger, with it being able to OHKO Mega Salamence and Zapdos most notably. Poison Jab lets Terrakion hit Tapu Fini, Tapu Bulu, and Tapu Lele for super effective damage. Taunt is an option to stop status moves, such as Trick Room, Tailwind, Wide Guard, and setup moves. Protect shields Terrakion from attacks and can notably protect it from a super effective hit, thus allowing its partner to potentially beat that threat.

Set Details
========

Maximum Speed EVs with a Jolly nature ensure that Terrakion is as fast as possible, while and maximum Attack EVs allow it to hit as hard as possible. Life Orb is the preferred item, as it boosts the power of Terrakion's attacks. Rockium Z gives Terrakion a much stronger Rock-type attack that bypasses Wide Guard. It should not be used with Stone Edge on the same set, however, as Life Orb-boosted Stone Edge accomplishes the same thing. (explain justified. it also seems pretty important because of beat up shenanigans)

Usage Tips
========

Terrakion is the perfect Pokemon to beat the rise of bulky offense, as it is able to threaten common Pokemon found on those teams, such as Zapdos, Snorlax, Ferrothorn, and Heatran. Terrakion, however, ("however" seems out of place here) is mostly used to beat those common bulky Pokemon, most notably Snorlax and Zapdos, so keep Terrakion healthy so it can better take on those two. If worse comes to worst, Terrakion can make use of its decent Speed to fish for Rock Slide flinches, but that isn't recommended and should only be used as a last resort. If using Beat Up, it can be hard to set up due to the frailty of the Beat Up users that Terrakion is usually paired with. It is best to set up on Pokemon that Terrakion can outspeed and threaten, such as Zapdos and Mega Charizard Y. Make sure that faster threats that can revenge kill Terrakion, such as Choice Scarf Landorus-T and Mega Metagross, are eliminated or that there is some form of speed control up. Try to use Beat Up earlier in the game so that Terrakion gets the most boosts possible.

Team Options
========

Terrakion is able to fit on most teams pretty easily. Once seen as a gimmick, Beat Up is now a viable option, as most teams tend to lack solid Rock-resistant Pokemon and are based around slower, bulkier Pokemon setting up. This drastically slower pace in the game allows Terrakion to easily set up and threaten those teams. Weavile can give Terrakion a free boosts with Beat Up, check common Intimidate Pokemon such as Salamence and Landorus-T, and support Terrakion with Fake Out. Whimsicott is another option for Beat Up, as it is able to mitigate Terrakion's mediocre Speed with Tailwind.

Mega Charizard Y can beat pesky Steel and Water-types that threaten Terrakion and has access to Tailwind to mitigate Terrakion's mediocre Speed. Terrakion, in return, can threaten Zapdos, Heatran, and Tyranitar, which are common Pokemon that threaten Charizard. Bulky Water-types, such as Tapu Fini and Milotic, also are great partners.(echoing p^2 here, why? it just seems that its only tapu fini and milotic cause they have their own specific role) Tapu Fini, while much less effective than Weavile and Whimsicott, can still perform the same role by being able to give Terrakion a free +2 Attack boost with Swagger. Tapu Fini can also threaten Landorus-T, a common Terrakion switch-(AH)in. Milotic, on the other hand, discourages the opponent from switching in their Intimidate user. In return, Terrakion can beat Zapdos to support Tapu Fini and Milotic. Terrakion tends to work well on rain teams, as it can handle Zapdos and Ferrothorn, which are both common Pokemon that threaten rain teams.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Checks and Counters
===================

**Intimidate**: As it is a physical attacker, Terrakion suffers greatly from Intimidate. Terrakion is pretty weak as is, so if its Attack is dropped with Intimidate, it will be dead weight. Landorus-T can switch into Terrakion fairly easily, as it takes very small little damage from Rock Slide after the Intimidate drop.

Updated, thanks for the check! I took out the part about the bulky waters since its really only Milotic and Tapu Fini. Terrakion is ready to be uploaded now!

talkingtree

large if factual
This is uploaded, Dad1 watch out for GPers' comments in the future, you forgot to add a sentence on Justified. Thanks all, moving the thread

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)