Pokémon GO

I have double water Lapras and for all those Dragonites.. I'm sat here with just 2 100%ers
I would rather have Hurricane then Hyper beam such a slow move.

and just a quick lol at Niantic adding Chinchao to 10km eggs...

all local gyms again full yellow... this is exactly the issue right now with having 6 open slots, they either spend all day rotating or fill up really quickly, and no one can be bothered taking them down.

Last edited:
As middling as they are, at least Hurricane is still an improvement. It's actually useful for other purposes. Especially that there may be time where soloing is the only way. I'm still considering options to solo Tier3 raids and lack a Hurricane dragon for Machamp, although I have a good Outrage one as generalist (two if in raids Dragonbreath works as good as dragon tail, although I doubt it and her Atk IV is also middling at best).

Now if only I ever have more than just two good dragons....

And in all fairness, they did drop Mantine and other things down to 5km. I pretty much abandoned hope at 10km after the last Mantine.

Last edited:
Thanks. Any preference on which one (ice beam or blizz?)?
thank you.
My suggestion. Do easy raids to build rare candy and golden razz berries. Build some psychic types like Exeggutor and Alakazam from regular mons you catch and hatch. Then challenge Machamp raids and try and catch 6 good ones for: Snorlax, Tyranitar.
Since you have decent Psychic types get Gengar as well. Snorlax with Zen Head Butt or Lick + Earthquake finally has a use! Otherwise Donphan or Rhydon work as alternatives if you don't have Snorlax or psychic types for Gengar. Gengar walls Snorlax, Machamp and can suicide attack Alakazam. Focus on steps:
1. Do as many easy raids as possible to collect candy and razz berries, and exp.
2. Train specific Pokémon to be anti-raid counters.
3. Use those anti-raid counters to capture raid Pokémon. Or do raids when there are lots of people... be advised! If you go to a raid when a bunch of other people are already in it or join after your 2 minutes of waiting period before battle, you won't get them in your raid with you. Ask: "are you guys already raiding?" But be careful when talking to strangers... maybe they are not trustworthy...

4. You will be good before you know it, plus you still get 7,300 stardust for 7 bonus days of first catches! So save your stardusts as you are guaranteed 7300 weekly as long as you catch one per day. Think of it that way.
By easy raids, do you mean level 2 raids? Level 1's barely give me any items, and usually it's only one type of item, like a few revives or a few rare candy. I'm not at the stage of being able to solo tier 3's yet.

Expert Evan

every battle has a smell!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Good thing I only had 4 pokemon over CP 3000 that were meant for defending as I was able to convert a steel wing dragonite to become an attacker but still have 3 gyarados with bite & dragon pulse that will serve limited purposes for now. Getting TMs in these raids seems like random odds, and have been unlucky with the charge TM since it gave me the wrong move 3 times in a row already. Fast TMs are reliable at least.

The main problem I have with attempting to solo level 3 is the terrible lag on my phone so I'm always pairing up for level 3 raids and not taking any chances.

trying to understand why Chinchou is in 10km eggs, it doesn't "fit".. other 10km eggs are non-nesting rare pokes... Chinchou is common near any water (seen 103 caught 98) and we have a nest nearby (low rate but it is still a nest).

Champion Leon

Banned deucer.
trying to understand why Chinchou is in 10km eggs, it doesn't "fit".. other 10km eggs are non-nesting rare pokes... Chinchou is common near any water (seen 103 caught 98) and we have a nest nearby (low rate but it is still a nest).
Ironically I see many Magmar by the water, Pokémon spawns in general lack sensibility.

I think beside the fact it is rare enough to get 10KM eggs to begin with, we should focus on raids for Snorlax, Lapras, and Tyranitar lines, plus it makes it easier to power it up so you won't waste the candy necessary for evolving Tyranitar from Larvitar and gives us Rare candy to make up for the lack of egg candy.

One thing I heard from a Pokémon Go Youtuber: Save your Rare Candies, when raids include legendaries, you won't likely find them in the wild, and you will probably only get them from events. Therefore, the only way beside buddy walking to boost their level would be through Rare Candies.

What he didn't say is: why bother?
Niantic said they would have limited gym use, probably attacking and not defending, plus they might specific to teams: Moltres, etc. to matching color, perhaps also with the Legendary Johto dogs with suicine going to mystic and so on.

Therefore, unless your raid has enough people, if you can't beat a Lapras or Snorlax (no 4x weakness like Tyranitar), imagine facing a Mewtwo or Mew... Zapdos, the dogs, and Lugia also have no 4x weakness.

I would rather power up my Tyranitars to face Mewtwo in order to capture it when teamed up than have less of a chance of even making it to the catch screen. If you can imagine that original trailer with Mewtwo and "everyone" in NYC, I could only imagine how raids will require people to outnumber him in droves... lol, I think everyone will spoof for that event if they can't make it due to the traffic, or because it just is easier not to be stuck in a crowd. Obviously tickets and etc. would be required, but hackers will find a way. Save your rare candy when you have a Pokémon to begin with, otherwise you wasted potential on not using them up for the time before you caught it.

Anyways, I caught another Gengar and Alakazam during a raid today. Wow. They are hard to solo, even with 6 Tyranitars, but at this point I just want the rare candy, (I've given up on TMs since I haven't received any, it feels more like a rumor than something that drops... seriously not one!) not the Pokémon, since Alakazam requires the best moveset to make it worthwhile, and Gengar can be good based on the typing, but really needs the perfect match up and moveset to come out on top: Shadow Ball for Alakazam/Gengar Raids and Sludge Bomb for Snorlax (it's defenses are helped by immunity to Hyper Beam, Body Slam, and lack of STAB from Heavy Slam, but watch out for Lick and Zen headbutt with Earthquake).

Last edited:

Darkmalice

Level 3
is a Tiering Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Anyways, I caught another Gengar and Alakazam during a raid today. Wow. They are hard to solo, even with 6 Tyranitars, but at this point I just want the rare candy, (I've given up on TMs since I haven't received any, it feels more like a rumor than something that drops... seriously not one!) not the Pokémon, since Alakazam requires the best moveset to make it worthwhile, and Gengar can be good based on the typing, but really needs the perfect match up and moveset to come out on top: Shadow Ball for Alakazam/Gengar Raids and Sludge Bomb for Snorlax (it's defenses are helped by immunity to Hyper Beam, Body Slam, and lack of STAB from Heavy Slam, but watch out for Lick and Zen headbutt with Earthquake).
I've heard that you can only get TMs with level 4 raids. I haven't gotten a single TM yet despite doing a raid most days. I've only completed one level 4 raid (fortunately a Tyranitar), when I didn't get a TM but my brother got both a fast and charged TM.

Also I can emphasises with the difficulty of soloing level 3 raids. I soloed an Arcanine raid, but only because I had 3 Rhydon and 3 Vaporeon all >2800 CP for the job. I wouldn't have had enough Pokemon with favourable match-ups against Alakazam and Gengar.

Let's do some math, then. Ultra ball is twice as effective as a pokeball according to stats found here, and a premier ball is equivalent to a pokeball. The power of golden razz vs regular razz, as found here, is 2.5 to 1.5, respectively.

Premier Ball + Golden Razz = 1 x 2.5 = 2.5
Ultra Ball + regular Razz = 2 x 1.5 = 3

So, yeah, it's not just you.

Blitz

Mightiest of Cleaves
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Discord Leader
Though the data is stored, you can't even see the Premier Ball anywhere on the Pokemon's stat screen. I have no idea why they introduced a carbon copy of the Poke Ball that you can't even brag about or anything. If they wanted it to make it a challenge and not allow players to Golden Razz / Ultra Ball / Curve / Excellent their way through all Raid Bosses, just allow only Poke Balls and make the Boss flee after like 10-15 of them. I guess extra coding / work never stopped anyone :^)

breh

強いだね
Though the data is stored, you can't even see the Premier Ball anywhere on the Pokemon's stat screen. I have no idea why they introduced a carbon copy of the Poke Ball that you can't even brag about or anything. If they wanted it to make it a challenge and not allow players to Golden Razz / Ultra Ball / Curve / Excellent their way through all Raid Bosses, just allow only Poke Balls and make the Boss flee after like 10-15 of them. I guess extra coding / work never stopped anyone :^)
I think it's just so players have a way to distinguish between Pokeballs vs. these "limited" balls. I think they should have just included recolored safari balls as "raid balls", but either way it's just meant to set them apart.

this was what I found annoying.. I have caught all bar 1 wild Lapras, I have caught Lapras around that level before, yet the raid one was impossible to catch as what would normally be orange/brown circle was red.. even though I through 3 excellent throws with curves. it wasn't enough, and one excellent throw didn't register as an attack animation kicked in right when the ball hit, inside the circle.

I still hope that one day we get safari zones.

Blitz

Mightiest of Cleaves
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Discord Leader
To be fair, Snorlax, Lapras, and Rhydon all got changed catch rates when they became raid bosses. They are all now 5% like Dragonite and Tyranitar (this might be 4% actually but idr), which makes them significantly harder to catch than in the past.

On another note, after speaking with other players, I actually once used Pikachu just to copy the loading screen for fun. Santachuu though, but still....
IMG_0296.PNG

Nah, after that, did it successfully anyway.

Cool video there, am rather fortunate that I caught my tyranitar on first try, shouldn't take that for granted.
I caught my first tyranitar on the first try, but I tried a venusaur and I could only manage 3 hits despite throwing many balls near the end of its attack animation and it always broke out before the first shake even fully finished. That venu and that one damn croconaw piss me off :[

Blitz

Mightiest of Cleaves
Discord Leader
Basically:

- 3 Challenges unlocked at GoFest
- We, the general populace that won't go to GoFest, catch many Pokemon that gets "Gold" for each of the challenges as well as numerous bonuses (e.g. catching Grass Pokemon yields more dust)
- The Mystery Challenge unlocks in GoFest once that is met (clearing all challenges)
- If GoFest clears the Mystery Challenge, everyone worldwide gets a grand prize (legendaries)

Should be fun.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 4)