Battle Spot Singles: Bulu-Tran Train

If you could ban one 'mon from cartridge gameplay, what would it be?

• Total voters

RNGIsFatal

Banned deucer.
Bulu - Tran Train

upload_2017-7-12_21-24-26.png

Thanks for Photoshop work

It has been a while since I have started playing Battle Spots outsides Other Metagames. Because of the household I grew from, I was not able to get a nintendo 3ds for myself, and I had no opportunity to practice my lowkey favorite tier, Battle Spots Singles.

Fortunately, when I found PS!, I could finally fulfill my dream to play BSS, but I noticed I somewhat lack the knowledge towards metagame since I am still a novice.

I have many teams that would be shamelessly displayed in the forums, but I would like to introduce my favorite core here and now:

Teambuilding process:

* So I started observing 4 guardian deities as SM was out, and I noticed Tapu Bulu's Grassy Surge summons a Grassy Terrain which halves Earthquake's damage. Immediately, I tried coming up with a 'mon that can benefit from this. Heatran, which is weak to Ground by x4, would surely make a good team with Tapu Bulu, since Tapu Bulu takes Water and Ground type attacks while Heatran can take Fire, Steel, Fairy, Flying, Poison, and Ice. Besides, Grassy Terrain recovery helps Heatran stay healthy for significantly longer while letting it occasionally survive non-STAB Earthquake.

* If you don't like this girl in Gen 7, you are not a true Smogon user.
I can just make Tapu Lele a lead if opposing team lacks appropriate Psychic-resist's or if it seems Gengar will cause some trouble. It also helps late-game cleaning assuming I didn't let a setup sweeper go rampant. It is sad that it can't OHKO Mimikyu with Psychic, but that's just how it is...

* Another thing that I had to keep in mind was, that every BSS team needs a Ground-type, or at least one 'mon that has Electric immunity. For the very first few games I played, the momentum turned out to be unquestionably the important factor in BSS. In this world where Tapu Koko, Zapdos, and all Rotom's are spamming Volt Switch against everything for scouting, I couldn't afford to leave my team without any 'mons that can take Electric moves. At first I thought about getting something like Garchomp or Alolan Marowak, but Garchomp significantly loses its power under Grassy Terrain, and Alolan Marowak is defeated by too many threats and is somewhat redundant if paired with Heatran. Thunderus-I was the most ideal choice, which could actually switch into Volt Switch and even shake off the damage taken from omnipresent Stealth Rock.

* This was not my favorite 'mon in ORAS, but because of this cancer pikachu named Mimikyu that revenge kills 90+% of the setup sweepers, Mega Gyarados became so handy this generation. Also it is bulky enough to set up in front of Tapu Lele from full HP please no scarf, and is not stopped by Rotom's, thanks to Mold Breaker + Earthquake that ignores Levitate. Since Tapu Bulu can deal with Tapu Fini and Ferrothorn (by using Fightinium Z), they can open a way for this sushi to sweep, hopefully.

* Le crumbler from Gen 6 is back. This is another 'mon that greatly benefits from the deity from the Ruins of Abundance; while it Aegislash the only reliable Mega Salamence switch-in when Grassy Field is active, it also checks Mega Metagross, opposing Tapu Lele, and most importantly covers Gyarados' weakness of fighting and can switch into Toxic when walls like Porygon-2 or Chansey comes in and proceed to set up Swords Dance.

Into the Team:

Tapu Bulu @ Fightinium Z
Ability: Grassy Surge
Level: 50
EVs: 220 HP / 252 Atk / 36 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Wood Hammer
- Horn Leech
- Superpower
- Rock Tomb

Arguably the most important 'mon in the team; it can OHKO Mega Kangaskhan and Ferrothorn (which will otherwise set Stealth Rock or use Leech Seed as I switch out to Heatran) using All-Out-Pummeling, and it mostly does its job as a lead. 36 EV in Speed makes sure that Tapu Bulu outspeeds Adamant Mimikyu after Rock Tomb and smack its face with Wood Hammer next turn. Speaking of Wood Hammer, it still does formidable damage without Choice Band, and it does excellent job luring Steel-types, meaning sometimes I can play aggressively and try double switches by sending Heatran when I expect stuff like Celesteela to come out. Horn Leech is there for reliable recovery and Tapu Bulu's longevity, Superpower is needed to use make efficient use of Fightinium Z, and Rock Tomb checks Adamant Mimikyu while keeping Mega Charizard X or Mega Salamence from setting up.

Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 212 HP / 4 Def / 4 SpA / 60 SpD / 228 Spe
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Magma Storm
- Earth Power
- Taunt
- Protect

With Leftovers and and Grassy Terrain recovery, Heatran recovers super fast, and it can work efficiently as a stall breaker. Speed EV lets it outspeed max Speed Celesteela so I can make sure it is Taunted, while HP was set to 8n + 1 to maximize the efficiency of Leftovers + Grassy Terrain recovery. Rest was put into Special Defense so it can take Scald from Toxapex a little better while punishing it with Magma Storm trapping + Earth Power + Taunt. The moveset also stops stuff like Chansey, Porygon2, Cresselia, or other passive opponents from setting up hazards or Trick Room. This Heatran overall is quite reliant on Magma Storm accuracy... but it is worth having it especially it can trap and chip opponents.

Tapu Lele @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Psychic Surge
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Moonblast
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast​

It is a great lead especially when my opponent is attempting to send Mega Gengar to trap and eliminate Tapu Bulu or trade Heatran and itself. The EV spread is obviously set to hit as fast and hard as possible. The moveset is also standard; the first two moves are STAB, Shadow Ball is there to deal with opposing Tapu Lele or Aegislash, ans Focus Blast... it is occasionally useful when it hits. Tapu Lele shines especially the opposing team doesn't have Dark-types because it can happily spam Psychic.

Thundurus-Therian (M) @ Electrium Z
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 84 HP / 4 Def / 164 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Focus Blast
- Nasty Plot

This guy stops Electric spams, such as blocking Volt Switch from Tapu Koko and occasionally nullifying Gigavolt Havoc. It is given Electrium Z because Tapu Lele is already holding Choice Scarf, meaning it can pick up opponents that Thunderus-I could not finish. It mostly leads aganist stall teams and sets up Nasty Plot. Some EV's were shifted to HP because Nasty Plot already lets this tiger net important OHKO's or 2HKO's on Charizard, Toxapex, and others (252 SpA can't even OHKO Toxapex, Tapu Fini, or Mega Salamence with little bulk). It is harder to use this generation, but I think it is worth having it.

Gyarados-Mega @ Gyaradosite
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 36 HP / 212 Atk / 4 Def / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Waterfall
- Earthquake
- Ice Fang
- Dragon Dance

It is pretty self-explanatory set; +1 Waterfall kills Mimikyu, Earthquake punishes Rotom's, Mega Charizard-X, and Magnezone, and Ice Fang OHKOs Garchomp and Mega Salamence with even with 212 Atk (40 EV's were shifted to other stats to improve bulk) after Stealth Rock. I normally run Crunch / Earthquake / Substitute / Dragon Dance because of Celesteela using Leech Seed or Mimikyu using Will-O-Wisp or Twincle Tackle with Focus Sash, but I believe Tapu Bulu and Heatran are able to handle them fairly nice.

Aegislash @ Ghostium Z
Ability: Stance Change
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 236 HP / 236 Atk / 4 Def / 4 SpD / 28 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Shadow Claw
- Shadow Sneak
- Sacred Sword
- Swords Dance

Aegislash can set up Swords Dance safely under Grassy Terrain without fearing non-STAB Earthquake, and it is also very reliable check against Mega Metagross which would trouble my team otherwise. The first two moves are solid STAB: Shadow Claw paired with Ghostium Z does massive damage after SD boost, and Shadow Sneak helps it pick up weak opponents such as Breloom without Focus Sash and Mega Charizard Y after Stealth Rock damage. 28 Speed EV's were added to win Speed ties against other Aegislash's, while lowkey c'teaming couple people in the ladder... sorry ;-;​

Threat List:

This 'mon is always a pain in the ass to deal with, especially if it is a mixed set which is ready to give a surprise to my Aegislash. I simply have to hope Aegislash can switch into this guy when it is healthy and Grassy Field is active. My Aegislash doesn't have King's Shield because it mostly does late-game-clean-up, and if Salamence uses Substitute... it is game over.

This frog is just unpredictable and is always a trouble; it hits Tapu Bulu using Ice Beam, Heatran using Hydro Pump, Aegislash with Dark Pulse... and more. There is a reason why my Tapu Lele has Scarf, but if Greninja switches into any of my 'mons that can be hit supereffectively... the momentum will go bad, conclusively.

This Pikachu-wann-be won't stop SD'ing, even if my Tapu Bulu is ready to check it. I have to keep Tapu Bulu out against this guy or it will wreck a havoc on my team.

Swords Dance = Death unless I have Aegislash

Skillmon gains Evasion more than often for some reason​

Conclusion

So this is my team that I have the fondest memory with. Despite I enjoy playing BSS, I always have trouble with laddering (wonder if it is because of my team or because of my playing style). Therefore, please feel free to leave any criticisms about my team or point out any other threats that I have to be aware about. Also, my team is looking for someone who can set Stealth Rock, since the hazard became very important this generation especially after Focus Sash revenge killing became very prominent.

Thank you for reading, and below is the importable! Don't forget to leave feedbacks... I need help ;-;
Tapu Bulu @ Fightinium Z
Ability: Grassy Surge
EVs: 220 HP / 252 Atk / 36 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Wood Hammer
- Horn Leech
- Superpower
- Rock Tomb

Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 212 HP / 4 Def / 4 SpA / 60 SpD / 228 Spe
Calm Nature
- Magma Storm
- Earth Power
- Taunt
- Protect

Tapu Lele @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Psychic Surge
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Moonblast
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast

Thundurus-Therian (M) @ Electrium Z
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 84 HP / 4 Def / 164 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Focus Blast
- Nasty Plot

Gyarados-Mega @ Gyaradosite
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 36 HP / 212 Atk / 4 Def / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Waterfall
- Earthquake
- Ice Fang
- Dragon Dance

Aegislash @ Ghostium Z
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 236 HP / 236 Atk / 4 Def / 4 SpD / 28 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Shadow Claw
- Shadow Sneak
- Sacred Sword
- Swords Dance

Last edited:
Hello there, nice team and great rmt post.

Checking your team and the threat list i'd say that Hippowdon could definitely help your team out. Hippowdon not only helps your Gyarados in setting up DDs, but it can also offer stealth rock support, as you requested, and deal with Mega Salamence and Mimikyu pretty well.

@ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Yawn / Ice Fang
- Whirlwind / Ice Fang

EVs are to be 3HKOd by +2 Play Rough from Mimikyu, survive its +2 Z Shadow Claw, take Greninja's attacks (the only thing that can actually have a chance to OHKO you, that is not a supereffective z move, is LO Grass Knot) and do pretty well vs Mega Salamence by either phasing it out or using ice fang vs it. Also, having Whirlwind is pretty nice if facing a Moody user (until it still has partners, of course), and Glalie is weak to Rocks.
I'd switch out Thundurus for it, since it can still guard you from Electric attacks while also mitigating your team's weakenesses.

---

Another change i'd do is switch Aegislash to a Special variant, mainly for your threat list.
A Weakness Policy special attacker can pretty much beat mixed Mence and most of the times even Greninja (you can also have a chance to beat it if it has the Z move, by using your King's Shield). Also, if mimikyu is a problem, King's Shield could be mandatory.

@ Weakness Policy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Shadow Ball
- Flash Cannon
- Shadow Sneak
- King's Shield

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)