Pokémon GO

Expert Evan

every battle has a smell!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I have 73 rare candies saved. Today's a special day for Pokemon GO so hopefully all is out there catching pokemon at 11-11:30, 1-1:30 & 3:30 all at central time (12,2,4 for Eastern time starts).

The special box is worth the 480 in coins for those of us that only care about premium raid passes.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
The event in Grant Park, Chigago took place today.

It was apparently a proper train wreck. Long story short, nothing worked, the organizers tried their best to ignore the problems and stick to the script, but the script itself had problems too:
http://heavy.com/games/2017/07/poke...inst-niantic-during-disastrous-chicago-event/

Who'd have known that 20,000 people trying to use the Internet in the same place at the same time would strain the local cellular network, which had not been reinforced in any way?

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
The event in Grant Park, Chigago took place today.

It was apparently a proper train wreck. Long story short, nothing worked, the organizers tried their best to ignore the problems and stick to the script, but the script itself had problems too:
http://heavy.com/games/2017/07/poke...inst-niantic-during-disastrous-chicago-event/

Who'd have known that 20,000 people trying to use the Internet in the same place at the same time would strain the local cellular network, which had not been reinforced in any way?
Sweet merciful Arceus, did anything go right? I'm reading the article and all I can think about is this image:

I would say maybe they should have gotten Pokemon Company's help planning this but I don't think they would have known what to do either. Next time, if there is one, they might need to go talk with the mobile companies to get their help to stabilize & improve service.

Wow, so many people that couldnt work because od the connection, had to spend tons of money on transportations and they get...
Refunds for one ticket and Pokécoins?
Why couldnt they work on the damn connection before making so much buzz around it?

what.. it broke? what a surprise...

oh and 4th week, same BS.. some mystic players from a Facebook group keep coming here and trashing/camping gyms ruining it for everyone, they have no reason to be here, OTHER then to do this. getting to the Point where I will have to report the ringleader of this to Niantic, because they are just hanging around 20-30+ minutes targeting my stuff in gyms only.. then camping them all so NOBODY AT ALL can take them, basically spoiling it for everyone else. IS this reportable behaviour? this isn't the whole story but this is 4th week (and 5th incident of specific targeting)

Holy heavens... this is disastrous....

On the good thing, I joined a gathering with some people and as someone shy I actually chatted to the level I couldn't believe myself. This brings everyone together.

On the bad thing, holy... I read that Niantic isn't ready for this at all. I was really irritable and tired after finishing a B'day present art for someone in DA and came down at night to where the gathering for contribution happens. We were literally standing in circle, ears near a single iPad used for live streaming trying to listen the latest news and... I can only imagine the hell the people who came there came through. Oh well, they didn't think this through. Ingress events seemed to differ based from what I read, as they use entire city, not a smaller park. Couldn't even provide internet towers to accommodate the flood of data in such confined park.

Seriously... everyone were making negative remarks about Niantic as we desperately find news progress from Chicago. Heck, one of us read how Niantic seemed to be terrible at tallying the Pokemon catch numbers, unable to make more automatic script to count it or well, ultimate server Overheat. Clearly we need Topsy-Turvy to restore the server. Scrap that, people reported in Valor lounge there is changing the badge thresholds because they couldn't reach the bonus threshold in time with the hell happening there. This is as glorious as the first Sun/Moon Global Mission, only that this is live action.

On positive side, apparently the first Ingress events were also a mess, and they did improve. So hopefully they will get it right for next GO events too. Hopefully....

Oh, and from what I heard they got refunded with a Lugia. Instantly added to their box.

Ah, I should've slept but whatever, already morning....

Last edited:

Blitz

Mightiest of Cleaves
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Discord Leader
Legendary Raids are now live across the globe! Lugia and Articuno are the sole benefactors here.

It is classified as a Tier 5 (as known before) raid, and the timer seems to be 360 seconds or so? (6 minutes). I managed to get an 87% Lugia with Dragon Tail / Future Sight out of it, and man was it nerve wracking to catch! Sadly won't use it :(

Good luck to everyone trying to catch these behemoths!

Last edited:

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
So once again Europe gets completely shafted for a Pokemon event. I'm probably going to uninstall after this crap. I can guarantee Europeans are going to be pissed about the time they released this event.

Released a six minutes event at 2am? What the heck were they thinking?? Does the event not even run at 6/8 hour increments during today??? Niantic are a complete joke of a company and they are ruining what little positive feelings I had towards PoGo.

This is just another nail in an already sealed coffin. What with the total disregard to rural players and the absolute shitshow that is gyms there is no reason to "play" this anymore.

Blitz

Mightiest of Cleaves
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Discord Leader
Why won't you use it? Also you listed 2 fast attacks, on Lugia, what was the Charge Move? Also Raid Legends were used in Raid Battles during Go Fest, did anyone try them in Level 4 or lower Raids, or Gym Battles, or storing in gyms? Extrasensory is better than Dragon Tail for Quick Moves since it gets STAB.
-----
At the event legends are all caught with 1 catch (no need for Golden Razz Berries), non legends like Tyranitar can break free from balls.
I caught 2 Arcticuno and 2 Lugia.
91% Arcticuno replaces Lapras as it is not weak to Fighting, Grass, and has about 30 Higher Attack stat points.
Lugia is the new Snorlax. With Extrasensory and Future sight, it can hit decently hard, keep in mind, it has the same Attack as Xatu, but Psychic type moves can hit Poison types like Gengar, and Venusaur hard, while also handling Fighting types, and it beats the type effectiveness and speed of Hyper Beam that Snorlax needs for damage.

Blissey-->Lugia-->Snorlax
(keep in mind Lugia also resists Fighting X4, Grass x2, Immunity to Ground, Psychic x2: differently calculated in PGo, but you get the idea). Lugia also doesn't require Candies to evolve, like Chansey does for Blissey, so it's just like Snorlax in that it is easier to spend rare candies on it and power it up.

For comparison's sake; http://imgur.com/a/EGIVG

I kept Hydro Pump on my Lugia for Tyranitar, Golem, and Rhydons, and Sky Attack for my bigger one because it can still hit Fighting types super effectively, and and get 2 hits for the same energy as Future Sight that try and tank it's hits, (similar to Dazzling Gleam over Hyper Beam on Snorlax and Blissey). Although Future Sight is supposedly The second strongest attack.

http://imgur.com/a/QqGnw
Lol wow I'm dumb. Dragon Tail / Future Sight was the moveset, I won't use it since it's suboptimal IV and Lugia isn't the best (it's also level 20)... Best moveset in this case would be ES / Sky Attack or ES / Future Sight.

You can't put them in gyms but you can use them for anything else. Imo legends are overrated so I'm not gonna power them up unless they have a significant niche. Mewtwo / Entei / Raikou / Lugia / Articuno fall under this category - they actually hold their own.

raids now last 2 hours... and no eggs. why have they done this? that is 2 hours of not being able to take gyms.. in my area, on foot, with distance, this is rather unfair.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Whoa. My city turned into an impromptu Pokémon Go festival with the event today. Literally thousands of people in the streets playing, wandering from raid to raid all over town. With to word-of-mouth and Facebook groups, people share the location of Articuno and Lugia raids, and turn up by the dozens. For the first time ever, I've spent money on Pokémon Go, bought a box of Premium Raid Passes, and have been trudging around town for seven hours. I've hatched a handful of eggs, gained a level, fought a Lugia and four Articuno (and only managed to catch one of the latter), met a bunch of new people, and walked to places I've never been before with four people I'd never met before (and neither had any of them). We went out for ice cream, collected Pokéstops, cooperated on the Raids, shared stories and talked about Pokémon and other things in general.

It also helps that it's been 20+ degrees and sunny all day. July in Trondheim usually means 12 degrees and rain. With weather like this, people would have gone outside for walks or hung out in park anyway, but with the event on top, it's been a day full of Pokémon Go for many. I expect the local papers will be full of reports tomorrow.

Ugh... I had to get this out because not only I, someone I knew as an energetic trainer (I even envy her dedication) got broken because of a spoofer. Since the gym update I see in most area people say the spoofer hold no more game debilitating threat like they did during old prestige system (aside of berry bots as I heard), so I could ignore their existence, but now this happened. Please, now for Arceus' sake do not try to glorify spoofers.

She was going with groups of some people to do a Lugia raid with little time left. There were then exactly 19 people there. She was supposed to get in as the last, but a spoofer took that and she couldn't join the raid with the other 19 and then there were no more enough people and she could only watch the timer running out while crying. It broke everyone's heart there.

I wasn't there when that happened. She actually left our LINE chat group of GO players. I could only imagine how hurt it was, ever since she was also very upbeat during that night when the massive clusterscrap Chicago Fest challenges happened and I came to join our modest-sized group's hunt while half-awake. Everyone in the chat was so sorry about it....

On another note, 4 Lugia raids. Two first ones ran away. Nabbit, I hate the flying kind of evasive move where they float upward, making calculation of ball throwing more difficult than it should be. Lugia has bigger target circle, but I feel like T'tar is much easier to catch with him constantly attacking, at least letting me to throw it at end of attack animation like a pattern and the throw power need is constant. For the caught ones, one is at least decent and the other is sighs....
And too bad even with such glory her attack is lower than Abra. Too defensive to use for raids... oh well, at least she's nice addition, a fresh face.

And one Articuno is enough, I think. I love Lapras more for dragonslayer.

raids now last 2 hours... and no eggs. why have they done this? that is 2 hours of not being able to take gyms.. in my area, on foot, with distance, this is rather unfair.
Well, you had to wait few hours to see what will hatch, now you know it immediately
And its not that hard to just move to another gym

well it is when you come back and the raid is still there, it was better before where you could prepare for the egg to hatch, and be there ready to group up.
I need these gyms for badges, moving on to another gym is a pointless exercise

Tried both raids today. The lack of eggs today seriously hurt coordination, but we still got groups of over 20 people twice. Couldn't catch either, sadly, but raiding with all those people was great! Apparently eggs are fixed now, so super looking forward to seeing how big the groups of people get when eggs pop tomorrow.

Blitz

Mightiest of Cleaves
Discord Leader
Legends are guaranteed catches only within 2KMs of Grant Park (so you know where the spoofers are...). Elsewhere around the world, the chance is 2%.

The 100% catch rate is bound to wear off at around 8 PM CST alongside the Go bonuses if I'm not mistaken.

Expert Evan

every battle has a smell!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I was able to catch both legendaries yesterday even of their IVs weren't as great, so I was 2 for 3 at these. Still awesome to get these in my pokedex and done with. I may do more so long as we continue to have a minimum dozen at these organized ones since the prize support is great, finally got some badly needed charge TMs to fix 2 of my gyarados movesets.

If I can fly everywhere easily with unlimited battery in phone, I'd be able to get much more. But at least I did it with many people and actually chatted a lot more than I thought I could with social anxiety.

Yep, that's just an easy mode, to get all legendaries so easily on every throw with raids that are pretty much guaranteed to win. I'd say nothing to be proud of at all. Meanwhile, I have done lots of raids with others in our group in this city downtown and had a lot of runaways with such slim catch rate (2%, pretty much using Gold berry is like Pinap Ttar. Well, I did that few times....). End result is not so satisfying with no one breaking past 90% and so many running away (with paid pass, no less), but maybe I'll learn to appreciate them....

That, and one first ice birb at CP 1638 a bit of scrolling downward from this.

Blitz

Mightiest of Cleaves
Discord Leader
I mean yeah it's easy mode, but you can say that about so many aspects about the game (e.g. living in Denmark, Paris, Pier 39, Germany, etc.). Spoofers will ultimately always edge out legit players because they can decide where to invest their resources for maximum outcome.

these 2h raids need to go.. once again half the gyms I need to clear blocked by raids.. getting Articuno raids here, but not enough people around.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)