SM Doubles OU *Creative Name Here*

INTRO:
So this is basically a hyper offense team that I had made in December, about 3 weeks after the game's release. The core(admittedly not the best :/) was built around MZard X and Tapu Koko/Raichu-A(I knew I definitely wanted to use these two in tandem). I really like hyper offense and setup sweepers, and my goal with this team is to score quick KOs. I've gotten to about 1400 with this team; I'm not the greatest battler, but that's why I'm here.
TEAMBUILDING PROCESS:
The original iteration of this team actually did not feature Raichu-A at all. I originally used Keldeo over it.
Keldeo-Resolute @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 1 Atk
- Hidden Power [Electric]
- Scald
- Hydro Pump
- Secret Sword
I personally am not a fan of choice items, and Keldeo just didn't have enough power with Scald/HP/Secret Sword and Hydro Pump always seemed to miss. I mostly needed it to sponge ground attacks, but Latios and Celesteela filled those roles. Quickly axed in favor of Raichu-A.

I did not use Mimikyu originally either. A variety of mons filled this spot on my team. Here is the most notable and longest-lived:
Latios @ Soul Dew
Ability: Levitate
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Draco Meteor
- Psychic
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt
Mostly for switching in to earthquakes and hitting back with Ice Beam. Even with the Soul Dew nerf, it's still decent and usable for me to power up its STABs. Axed in favor of Mimikyu because it can absorb earthquakes with Disguise, and setup from there.

Originally I thought I needed a more defensive mon as well, so I chose Celesteela:
Celesteela @ Leftovers
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
- Leech Seed
- Flash Cannon
- Air Slash
- Flamethrower
A bit bulky but still hard hitting, Celesteela came in on predicted ground moves and tried to force a switch with Leech Seed. Originally ran Substitute, but I switched it out for Flamthrower because I was getting frustrated by Magnezone. Axed in favor of Manaphy because it filled most of Celesteela's roles better, and hit harder.
OK NOW THE ACTUAL TEAM:
Origami Sword (Kartana) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Leaf Blade
- Smart Strike
- Sacred Sword
Originally ran Steelium Z to get past Clefable, which walls the majority of my team, but I began to see it less and less, to the point where I could justify the Sash(buys a turn to SD unless double targeted). Its power levels are obscene after one boost anyways. STABs break past many common threats(Tapus which remove Electric Terrain, Manaphy, Gardevoir, Tyranitar,etc.) Sacred Sword eliminates Heatran and Chansey and provides valuable coverage. Great for picking off weakened opponents as well because of Beast Boost(which replaces Swords Dance in a pinch). Switches in after a team member has fainted and it has a favorable matchup.

WaWaFly (Manaphy) @ Leftovers
Ability: Hydration
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
- Tail Glow
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Energy Ball
Standard OU set. Tail Glow boosts Special Attack. Originally ran Surf, but I realized I'd rather use Scald to cripple Physical mons. Ice beam hits stuff like Bulu(takes away my terrain), M-Venu, and Tangrowth harder. My team doesn't really struggle with grass types, but Ice Beam is nice to have to pick off Dragons as well. Fighting types are rare, and Poison mons barring Toxapex can be hit by Scald or Ice Beam, so I chose Energy Ball to hit Toxapex a little harder(and it has the nice bonus of dealing with fellow water types like Fini). Yes, Psychic hits Toxapex even harder, but I'd rather use the move slot for more coverage in the long run. Manaphy also works well against opposing rain teams. It's often my main switch in to predicted neutral moves because of its natural bulk with only two weaknesses. Manaphy is also my best bet against Trick Room teams.
FireCheek (Charizard-Mega-X) @ Charizardite X
Ability: Tough Claws
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Dragon Claw
- Flare Blitz
- Roost
Charizard is the meat and potatoes of the team. Usually comes in to replace a fainted ally alongside another team member who is already set up. He often gets double targeted, so the other member helps KO at least one of the opponents. Comes in for a turn(before mega evolution) on Landorus-T, Tyranitar, and just about anything that threatens to earthquake. I somehow almost never use Roost, as the turn bought to DDance often leaves Charizard with little health, and I try to KO with Dragon Claw(or Flare Blitz on Steel types). When I do get to use Roost, however, I can usually mow through teams.
Leo Messi (Mimikyu) @ Red Card
Ability: Disguise
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Shadow Sneak
- Shadow Claw
- Play Rough
Sure, Red Card Mimikyu is a gimmick mostly reserved for the Battle Tree, but I couldn't find an item that fit better. Mimikyu stops setup sweeps(often Terrakion, with Disguise+Red Card, boosts attack, then hits back hard). Play Rough frustatingly misses, but it's the only option. Also helps deal with Greninja, Heracross, Hoopa, Mew, Mega Medicham, Mega Lopunny, and Zygarde. The surprise factor from the Red Card helps as well.
Wario (Tapu Koko) @ Zap Plate
Ability: Electric Surge
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Dazzling Gleam
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Ice]
The Electric Terrain setter and lead. Originally ran Life Orb, but I mostly spam Thunderbolt anyways, so I switched items. HP Ice is supposed to help against Landorus-T and Garchomp, but it never seems to KO them, and one Earthquake takes out both Koko and Raichu. Dazzling Gleam for fairy STAB and also to pick off one(or two) weakened foes. I almost never use Volt Switch, I have a hard time using it, but I can't really find anything better to use the moveslot on.
Pancakes (Raichu-Alola) (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Surge Surfer
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Focus Blast
- Thunderbolt
- Psychic
As the time has passed, Raichu has been getting less and less KOs. Until about January, Raichu would take out 3-4 mons a match. Nowadays, it struggles to set up or even get one KO. I typically lead with Koko and Raichu, and try to set up Nasty Plot, as time has gone on, it's become harder and harder to set up. I often just end up trying to hit stuff unboosted, but that doesn't really have much power to it. Focus Blast hits Tyranitar and Heatran(both threats to Earthquake). Psychic for secondary STAB. I'm not sure if it's time to move on from Raichu or not.

THREATLIST: Garchomp, Zygarde, Landorus-T, Tyranitar when Focus Blast misses, anything that threatens to Earthquake, TR teams.

I mostly need help with EVs, moveslots, and stuff like that, but I'd definitely be open to any suggestions I can get. Thank you for taking the time to read through all of that!

Last edited:
Hey Cutefluffysheep! Unfortunately, it seems that your understanding of the metagame is only that of the lower ladder. In reality, what you perceive as threats aren't actually considered as threats in higher levels of play. You have also mentioned "Standard OU sets" and the "Battle Tree". I hate to break it to you, but Doubles OU is a completely different metagame from both Singles OU and the Battle Tree. To help you get started, I highly recommend that you start with putting the move Protect into some of your Pokemon's move sets. I also cannot make changes that you want because I will create a completely different team for the purpose of being viable in the current metagame. Nevertheless, you can always look at www.smogon.com/forums/forums/sm-doubles-ou.393/ for more info. You should particularly look through threads labeled as "Resources" and take a look at teams made by competitively experienced players. If you got further questions, feel free to ask the staff in the Smogon Doubles room in Pokemon Showdown; they're really willing to help you out.

Last edited:
Hey Cutefluffysheep! Unfortunately, it seems that your understanding of the metagame is only that of the lower ladder. In reality, what you perceive as threats aren't actually considered as threats in higher levels of play. You have also mentioned "Standard OU sets" and the "Battle Tree". I hate to break it to you, but Doubles OU is a completely different metagame from both Singles OU and the Battle Tree. To help you get started, I highly recommend that you start with putting the move Protect into some of your Pokemon's move sets. I also cannot make changes that you want because I will create a completely different team for the purpose of being viable in the current metagame. Nevertheless, you can always look at http://www.smogon.com/forums/forums/sm-doubles-ou.393/ for more info. You should particularly look through threads labeled as "Resources" and take a look at teams made by competitively experienced players. If you got further questions, feel free to ask the staff in the Smogon Doubles room in Pokemon Showdown; they're really willing to help you out.
Thank you for your help! However, I cannot access the link you have posted. It says the page could not be found.

Muscle K

Banned deucer.
Hey Cutefluffysheep!

Just before I rate this, do you mind fixing up the formatting? It's almost impossible to read, and therefore is difficult to see what mons are actually on the team.

Sorry about that.

*Rate will come some time soon

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)