SM OU Grassy Surge Fun (By a beginner)

Intro:The whole point of the team is to abuse grassy surge. Hence, grassium z kartana, and wood hammer bulu.

Tapu Bulu @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Grassy Surge
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stone Edge
- Horn Leech
- Superpower
- Wood Hammer
One of the powerhouses of my team. Gave this a scarf to out speed a non boosted volc that would try to set up on bulu. Also destroying battle bond gren and koko who think its ok to u turn or volt switch.

Kartana @ Grassium Z
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Leaf Blade
- Smart Strike
- Sacred Sword
Kartana is the star of this team. almost anything drops to grassium z. For example: 252 Atk Kartana Bloom Doom (175 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Toxapex in Grassy Terrain: 294-346 (96.7 - 113.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock. Another Example:252 Atk Kartana Bloom Doom (175 BP) vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey in Grassy Terrain: 730-859 (103.8 - 122.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Toxapex @ Black Sludge
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 192 Def / 64 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Scald
- Haze
- Recover
- Toxic Spikes
Grassy surge is helpful when a defensive lando is trying to eq or when dugtrio is trying to eq. for example:252 Atk Dugtrio Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 192+ Def Toxapex in Grassy Terrain: 74-90 (24.3 - 29.6%) -- possible 6HKO after Black Sludge recovery and Grassy Terrain recovery. and
0 Atk Landorus-Therian Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 192+ Def Toxapex in Grassy Terrain: 84-98 (27.6 - 32.2%) -- possible 5HKO after Black Sludge recovery and Grassy Terrain recovery.

Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 212 HP / 44 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Substitute
- Toxic
- Magma Storm
- Stealth Rock
My team needed another mon that could take fire hits and my team also need a counter to lele since it kinda spams psychic to win.

Mew @ Leftovers
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 252 HP / 144 Def / 112 Spe
Timid Nature
- Ice Beam
- Will-O-Wisp
- Soft-Boiled
- Defog
My one counter to mega medi that without mew, I have no switch ins.

Greninja-Ash @ Choice Specs
Ability: Battle Bond
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Water Shuriken
- Dark Pulse
- Hydro Pump
- U-turn
I saw that my team needed a water type that was a fast special attacker. So ash gren was my first pick.

Thank you for taking your time to look at my team :]

An interesting Core. I LOVE the concept. I love recuperating after a kill.
However, there are some points I need to go over.

Tapu Bulu: I don't think Tapu Bulu is a fantastic Choice scarf user. I would instead put Grassium Z for use with Wood hammer.

Kartana: With confliction with Tapu Bulu, I suggest giving Kartana Leftovers/Shell Bell. That way, it gets health after each attack.

Toxapex: Yes, a 6HKO from Earthquake, but knock off shortens its life. Also, Crits speed up the process by 200%.

Heatran: Yes, he can take Fire hits, but it does 1X damage to him with being part Steel (Trust fam, i'm steel expert). Also, you may need to think when the foe has a garchomp. Which leads to...

Mew: ...Mew having Ice Beam. It takes out Zygarde, Landorous-T, and as I stated, Garchomp and Mega. But with Defog, it kills the purpose of having a Grassy Terrain core. I reccomend having Stealth Rock.

Ash-Greninja: Hydro Pump isn't a reliable move, with its shaky 70 hit. You may be better off with Extrasensory or Hidden Power: Flying.

Core: With only 3 out of 6 pokemon benefit from this core (Kartana, Tapu Bulu, Toxapex), 3 other three are shaky (Mew, Heatran, Ash-Greninja). Also, you aren't the only one who can use grassy Terrain.

With all that said, I hope I was some help. I'm no expert and don't intend to be, but I do my best.

Tapu Bulu: I don't think Tapu Bulu is a fantastic Choice scarf user. I would instead put Grassium Z for use with Wood hammer.

Kartana: With confliction with Tapu Bulu, I suggest giving Kartana Leftovers/Shell Bell. That way, it gets health after each attack.

Toxapex: Yes, a 6HKO from Earthquake, but knock off shortens its life. Also, Crits speed up the process by 200%.

Heatran: Yes, he can take Fire hits, but it does 1X damage to him with being part Steel (Trust fam, i'm steel expert). Also, you may need to think when the foe has a garchomp. Which leads to...

Mew: ...Mew having Ice Beam. It takes out Zygarde, Landorous-T, and as I stated, Garchomp and Mega. But with Defog, it kills the purpose of having a Grassy Terrain core. I reccomend having Stealth Rock.

Ash-Greninja: Hydro Pump isn't a reliable move, with its shaky 70 hit. You may be better off with Extrasensory or Hidden Power: Flying.

Core: With only 3 out of 6 pokemon benefit from this core (Kartana, Tapu Bulu, Toxapex), 3 other three are shaky (Mew, Heatran, Ash-Greninja). Also, you aren't the only one who can use grassy Terrain.

With all that said, I hope I was some help. I'm no expert and don't intend to be, but I do my best.
Heatran is immune to fire type moves because of flash fire.

Defensive items will not do much on a glass cannon such as Paper Katana man. Maybe switch their roles. Kartana given the scarf and Bulu given the Z move. They are both better like that to me. Extrasenory is a decent choice because it hits Toxapex, but Hidden Power Flying is trash. Ice Beam does it's job better.
You're right about Toxapex, but you're not taking into account Regenerator after the fact, or that the enemy Pokemon may not live past 3-4 hits from a scald. (Lando-T, Exadrill, Dugtrio) Also the burn chance is way higher than the crit chance, so you can assume that the enemy will not be staying in.

Also, for a steel type master, you should really know that Heatran runs Flash Fire.

Last edited:
You really want to play grassy surge, I can only suggest my boy Mega-Sceptile in place of that gren. You've already got fire and ice switchins in Pex.

Grassy Nuke (Sceptile) @ Sceptilite
Ability: Overgrow
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Focus Blast
- Dragon Pulse
- Giga Drain / Substitute / Leech Seed

Some calcs:

252 SpA Sceptile-Mega Leaf Storm vs. 252 HP / 64 SpD Toxapex in Grassy Terrain: 244-288 (80.2 - 94.7%) -- 50% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
252 SpA Sceptile-Mega Leaf Storm vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Magearna in Grassy Terrain: 153-180 (50.8 - 59.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Grassy Terrain recovery
252 SpA Sceptile-Mega Leaf Storm vs. 248 HP / 144+ SpD Sableye-Mega in Grassy Terrain: 246-289 (81.1 - 95.3%) -- 50% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

The only mons that wall this are Chansey, Zapdos and Tangrowth.
Tangrowth can't touch it, which is why I like the sub set.
Chansey is easy to predict around with Bulu or Kartana, or gets wrecked by the Leech Seed set.
If you want to deal with Zapdos, leech seed is essential. You do eat the heat waves, but not that well.

A comment though - Heat Wave Zapdos tears your team to shreds. The AV Bulu might help with that.

You really want to play grassy surge, I can only suggest my boy Mega-Sceptile in place of that gren. You've already got fire and ice switchins in Pex.

Grassy Nuke (Sceptile) @ Sceptilite
Ability: Overgrow
Timid Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Focus Blast
- Dragon Pulse
- Giga Drain / Substitute / Leech Seed

Some calcs:

252 SpA Sceptile-Mega Leaf Storm vs. 252 HP / 64 SpD Toxapex in Grassy Terrain: 244-288 (80.2 - 94.7%) -- 50% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
252 SpA Sceptile-Mega Leaf Storm vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Magearna in Grassy Terrain: 153-180 (50.8 - 59.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Grassy Terrain recovery
252 SpA Sceptile-Mega Leaf Storm vs. 248 HP / 144+ SpD Sableye-Mega in Grassy Terrain: 246-289 (81.1 - 95.3%) -- 50% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

The only mons that wall this are Chansey, Zapdos and Tangrowth.
Tangrowth can't touch it, which is why I like the sub set.
Chansey is easy to predict around with Bulu or Kartana, or gets wrecked by the Leech Seed set.
If you want to deal with Zapdos, leech seed is essential. You do eat the heat waves, but not that well.

A comment though - Heat Wave Zapdos tears your team to shreds. The AV Bulu might help with that.
Any suggestions to keep zapdos in check?

Anish

luckynbad
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
yo,

really nice team, and the team is extremely good for a beginner. i want to just help you out a bit, and help you make a couple of tweaks to improve this. as far as weaknesses are concerned, grass resists can somewhat annoy you , such as m vena ( removes t spikes as well) and celes, since they can pivot in and even if u can force them out, they still beat the majority of ur offensive core. mega pinsir is also extremely threatening to this team, while tectonic rage heatran can be a menace, especially since your own heatran lacks ep. the stall matchup vs spl stall isn't great either , as it has sash dug for kartana. m pinsir can also be annoying if it can come on locked bulu and then potentially clean.

my recommendation would be to run a scarf on kartana > z move , and a fightium z on bulu > scarf. im going to group the changes together as these changes basically relate to the swapping of z moves. by running a fightinium z bulu and scarf kartana you improve your stall matchup, since bulu is harder to trap for dugtrio, while it's also able to break grass resists to the extent where kartana cleans. scarf kartana is a better cleaner than bulu imo, because it can get beast boost, while also being able to hurt grasses and volcarona w ace . the main reason i suggest fight z over rock z on bulu is because my later addition (lati) will help w m vena while mons like scizor and celesteela take more from aop. this does mean your scarfer isn't able to come in to koko and gren, which means ur bulu can no longer outspeed them, though pex also helps w gren, while even without a scarf, bulu helps w koko, while now you have a way to rk koko even if bulu somehow gets worn/lured and faints. this also hurts the m pinsir matchup.

>
my next suggestion is specs lati>gren. at first glance this may seem awkward since i replace a cleaner w a breaker w a different typing. however lati does pressure similar mons like gren in off lando and mew, which can be annoying to the team in some instances, while also providing another electric resist which helps with zapdos, volcarona, m pinsir, stall etc. the change of a cleaner to breaker can be annoying, however lati can weaken steels, which are some of the common switchins to kartana, which is especially useful in the case in which bulu cannot break holes for kartana due to matchup, which makes cleaning with it much easier, so in the end it can still somewhat help you clean, and it can offensively pressure other switchins to kartana like mega venusaur and zard y which makes playing w kartana easier, and punch holes in teams with good checks to bulu. I'd recommend hp fire / psyshock / trick /draco to weaken steels while also beating volc and annoying stall. psyshock > psychic was chosen here because it does more to tran, magearna and spd celesteela while helping with volcarona, while mega venusaur and toxapex shouldn't stay in to a psyshock regardless while clefable is pressured by the majority of the team. the major downsides to this change is that it does make heatran even more annoying , while the offense matchup gets slightly worse, even though mons like mew/toxapex are often tricky for offense to deal with, while scarf kartana also puts in work. you lose a ghost resist and a dark resist, though ghosts are extremely rare rn, while losing a dark resist sucks, especially since lati is pursuit bait, however toxapex checks weavile well, while ttar can be worn down by t spikes, while you do have pex + kartana + bulu to try to scout for a move band tar locks into while you have enough mega tar checks.

• id recommend you run a mew set with 240 hp / 72+ def / 128 spd / 68 spe to outspeed sg magearna before a boost , while improving bulk with earth power > ice beam. this gives you a good way to deal with tectonic rage heatran which could be annoying if not for this change. this also helps w lele in case tran gets worn. while this does mean that zyg and bulu get more threatening you have good checks to both in bulu and 2 faster se 4x resists respectively, though you may have to be wary about coil dd groundium z zyg and sub grassium z bulu.

• id recommend you run a shed shell on toxapex to help with zard y + dugtrio teams while also other teams with dugtrio, as passive recovery , while nice , isn't necessary, with a spread which better deals with such teams.

• id recommend you run taunt > toxic on heatran and earth power > substitute. earth power helps you punish opposing heatran and other fire resists like pex , while taunt helps you maintain rocks vs m pinsir teams which could otherwise be annoying if they manage to chip lati and not get worn into kartana ace range, while also taunt other mons such as m vena. losing sub hurts vs maw but tran + mew is still enough esp since ep mew actually damages maw, after the wisp.
Tapu Bulu @ Fightinium Z
Ability: Grassy Surge
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Superpower
- Stone Edge
- Swords Dance
- Horn Leech

Kartana @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Leaf Blade
- Smart Strike
- Sacred Sword
- Aerial Ace

Latios (M) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Levitate
Timid Nature
- Psyshock
- Draco Meteor
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Trick

Toxapex @ Shed Shell
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 100 Def / 156 SpD
Careful Nature
- Scald
- Haze
- Recover
- Toxic Spikes

Mew @ Leftovers
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 240 HP / 72 Def / 128 SpD / 68 Spe
Bold Nature
- Earth Power
- Will-O-Wisp
- Soft-Boiled
- Defog

Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Magma Storm
- Earth Power
- Taunt
- Stealth Rock

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)