2017 musics

Eclipse

Like a chimp with a machine gun
is a Contributor Alumnus
Seconding that you all listen to Melodrama, for sure the best pop album i've heard this year so far.

Also Calvin Harris just recently released Feels, his fourth single off of his newest album which he's releasing on the 30th. The features by Pharrell, Katy Perry, and Big Sean are dope here. I've been in love with the 70s funk feeling of this song; also love the direction he's taking with the album in general; it'll be a great feel good album in comparison to some of his recent stuff and im insanely excited for the album release.

2 Chainz recent album Pretty Girls Like Trap Music is also dope as hell, too. Saturday Night is definitely my favorite track off of the album, although other tracks like 4 AM and It's A Vibe will for sure grow on me the more I listen to them.

Pilo

uses walther
is a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
melodrama is fantastic, i don't really keep up with the genre but it's definitely one of the best pop albums i've listened to in a while. i can't name a single song on the album i didn't like at least a little bit and you're honestly doing yourself a disservice by not listening to it.

I'm hyped for the fifth Black Veil Brides album to come out (it's dropping in September), they haven't released an album since 2014 and they're going back with John Feldmann who also produced their third (and arguably objectively best) album Wretched and Divine, (Feldmann also produced a multitude of other bands such as Blink-182).

Shrug

is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Past SCL Champion
LCPL Champion
i rlly like the new vince staples. the back half of prima donna bangs harder but he fleshes his ideas out more on this one

termi

bike is short for bichael
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor
Peasant, by Richard Dawson, is unquestionably the album of the year so far.

Also shoutouts to the new Avey Tare album for being extremely chill, hearkening back to Animal Collective's earlier, folkier material (a bit of Campfire Songs, a bit of Feels, the good stuff basically). The new Cornelius album, Mellow Waves, is also very much worth checking out, here is the lead single.

we're half way through the year so maybe we should share some of our top albums from this year

1. Joshua Abrams & Natural Information Society - Simultonality
- Absolute favorite album of the year so far and the one of I've played the most. If you're at all interested in psychedelic and hypnotizing movement you gotta check it out. Dense in sonics and rich in rhythm, truly a wonderful listen.

There are some other albums I want to give shine but I'd be fronting if I put them on the same tier as this one. They're still dope and I recommend them.

• Bradley Hathaway - Flesh Eater : folk / spoken word record. It's about a Christian man and his struggle with lust. I'm not religious myself and found things to enjoy: the honesty (it's like an album of confessions), and the intensity with which the lyrics match up with the music.
  • Jlin - Black Origami: mentioned this album earlier and will mention it again. If you're interested in dance music, crazy rhythms and really really well produced music then checks this.
  • Oumou Sangare - Mogoya: Groovy and colorful West African music with some western instrumentation. Tight album all the way through.

idt any of my picks are too out in left field, but i suppose that's alright. plenty that i've been meaning to dig into more thoroughly or at all (new mt.eerie being a big one for me), but for the time being

King Gizzard & the Lizard Wizard - Murder of the Universe: i feel that king gizzard really culminated their experimentations across the past couple years into a really sharp product with them, probably my favourite in their discography to this point. some of their most creative jams land of this, and it approaches the album on the whole in a very similar way to another fave of mine in their discography, nonagon infinity. i can absolutely understand how people have been getting put off by the spoken word passages, but to me it really enhanced the experience. fantastic garage rock record through n through

Quelle Chris - Being You Is Great, I Wish I Could Be You More Often: similarly to the first, maybe quelle chris' best and most honed work to date. a fantastic culmination of anxious, existential rap that offers a nice snapshot of the underground rap scene (w/some quality features from dudes like elzhi, roc marciano, denmark vessey, etc.). he really manages to coerce the inherent psychedelic qualities of his beats and delivery out of this record better than he has in the past, which makes the whole experience all the better for me.

Mountain Goats - Goths: building up to be one of my faves in the mountain goats discography, with some of darnielle's most vivid story-telling in a minute landing on this. the vivid and beautiful orchestration of it all is not only their most consistent stint in maximalism for me, but the juxtaposition of that to the theme of it is pretty dope as well. really sharp, late-career singer songwriter record

Kirin J Callinan - Bravado: pop aoty thus far. in a way exactly what i would've wanted from that early 2000's eurobeat type era of pop music realized however late, linking this stadium pop style of production to a dark, personality-heavy frontman that prompts a level of active listening. loaded w/fantastic singles and a great sense of humor.

Elder - Reflections of a Floating World: i think that elder really got creative w/this release, and that ambition shows in some of their most adventurous tracks to date. as usual, the playing is nice and beefy, loaded w/catchy riffs and that psych-heavy atmosphere that envelops. the mixing on this is fantastic as well, really accentuates the material in a great way.

Honestly, I haven't listened to many albums released this year yet, but my favorite still is Elder's. It's top notch Stoner/Doom, many memorable moments (the ending of Staving Off Truth, for example) and quite a different album from Lore. I still prefer Dead Roots Stirring, but Reflections easily comes second.

Other than Elder, other two good releases were Bathsheba's "Servus" and Savanah's "The Healer", so if you're into Stoner/Doom, go check them.

I'm still hyped for new YOB. I think Mike announced via Facebook that they're working on new stuff, and Catharsis is one of my favorite albums of all time, so I can't fucking wait.

Wage War's second album is gonna hit like a truck, them breakdowns are something tasty. Metalcore in general has been picking up pace this year.

Amine's debut album drops tomorrow, so that's something to look forward to.

I also enjoyed Everybody, Flower Boy and DAMN. this year

Tera Melos

Banned deucer.
Amine's debut album drops tomorrow, so that's something to look forward to.

I also enjoyed Everybody, Flower Boy and DAMN. this year

I have yet to listen to Flower Boy, but DAMN was great. What should I expect from Flower Boy, WOLF is in my top 50.

I have yet to listen to Flower Boy, but DAMN was great. What should I expect from Flower Boy, WOLF is in my top 50.
Flower Boy is pretty damn great, best tracks on there are: Who Dat Boy, November, Pothole, I Ain't Got Time and 911. The rest of the album was great too, just liked those in particular. Apparently he produced the whole album himself, which is interesting.

Tera Melos

Banned deucer.
Flower Boy is pretty damn great, best tracks on there are: Who Dat Boy, November, Pothole, I Ain't Got Time and 911. The rest of the album was great too, just liked those in particular. Apparently he produced the whole album himself, which is interesting.

I'll give it a listen right now.

Pretty excited tbh

Albums I've liked so far:

"Plural" - Electric Guest
"Boomiverse" - Big Boi
"Something to Tell You" - Haim
"Funk Wav Bounces Vol.1" - Calvin Harris
"I Decided." - Big Sean
"Number 1 Angel" - Charli XCX

Epikhairz

Anything goes
midyear top 5

1. 4:44 - Jay-Z
2. DAMN - Kendrick Lamar
3. Flower Boy - Tyler the Creator
4. Crack Up - Fleet Foxes
5. Big Fish Theory - Vince Staples

wanted to know if anyone here has been listening to 4:44, because i've been going back to that one a lot and jay really delivered for that one. best production ive heard in a minute and lyrics came through.

Crack-Up an amazing album too in case anyone here hasn't heard it.

biggie

champ
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Talib Kweli & Styles P. - The Seven
Kendrick Lamar - DAMN.
Your Old Droog - Packs
P.O.S - Chill, Dummy
Calvin Harris - Funk Wav Bounce Vol. 1
King Gizzard & the Lizard Wizard - Flying Microtonal Banana

Haven't listened to a whole lot of new stuff this year yet, but here's what I've liked so far. Still need to check out 4:44 and You Only Live 2wice by Freddie Gibbs

looking forward to hearing the new lil b record. i've only heard the track with makonnen but that shit is crazy.

fave album of the year is probably 4:44

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)