Pokémon GO

Well, I suppose I'm also greedy for breaking gyms early for gym badge EXP then.

No seriously, that happens even worse here, and this is the suburbs (well, little closer to city than my outskirts). I just learn to keep breaking them as I pass through by morning or afternoon and collect my daily quota with them nightwalkers breaking gyms before midnight. You'd think I would frown all day on the Revive expenses to heal all the mooks I deploy for nothing, but it's reality I have to accept.

You think people should conform to only one play style? I want coins, but I also want badge exp and territories for raiding and just plain gym battle fun, and no one has the right to dictate my playstyle and neither myself on others'.

Last edited:
no, I'm not saying that, but this spoofer is now dictating my play just by doing this, daily turnover here is high sometimes, throw in raids blocking everything... half the gyms I couldn't get in today at all, as you say, you want different things form different gyms.. but again, if I had a coin gym, and someone wanted it for a badge, they could also, in theory, lock the gym down with golden razz, therefore again, effecting the play. the gyms here can turnover 3-4 times a day... or not at all.. due to raid bosses spawning out of the blue.

So no it isn't conforming to one playstyle, it is more accommodating everyone's wants and needs in a fairer manner

Expert Evan

every battle has a smell!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
While I'm 1 for 3 in these latest moltres raids, I did catch my first shiny, CP 152 magikarp today which I immediately evolved and will use it for gym placement purposes.

Expert Evan

according to an IV calculator, has 14 attack, 9 or 10 HP & 7 or 8 Defense which puts it at 68.9% in the "Overall, your Pokemon has certainly caught my attention" evaluation. Evolved CP is at 2442.

Last edited:
Considering how Moltres is actually weaker than Tyranitar, I won't be surprised. I think Tier5 raids also have same stats with Tier4, being at Lv40? Although I'm not sure of Tier5's set HP....

Champion Leon

Banned deucer.
Considering how Moltres is actually weaker than Tyranitar, I won't be surprised. I think Tier5 raids also have same stats with Tier4, being at Lv40? Although I'm not sure of Tier5's set HP....
I thought they were perfect IV level 80, and had an additional 15 to Def and Atk IVs.

Here is a spreadsheet breaking down the best Moltres counters.

https://www.reddit.com/r/TheSilphRoad/comments/6qh6ss/analysis_moltres_will_be_duoable_and_easily/

Tyranitar has more 16 Defense, but Moltres has better attacks (Fire Spin + Overheat), with an equal 251 Atk stat, making its offense more powerful and able to KO the Golem faster than Tyranitar can KO Machamp, offsetting the fact that even though Golem has better defense, it has less HP.

Machamp has greater Attack against Tyranitar than Golem against Moltres and does more damage per hit. One would assume Moltres is going to last about as long as Tyranitar when you consider that Moltres' lower Defense negates how it would take less DPS off of a lower max Attack Pokémon compared to Tyranitar's Higher Defense but more DPS taken from Machamp.

Yeah, I realize it is noticably easier Defensively, but Offensively it can KO Golem faster than Tyranitar can KO Machamp, which means it will ultimately take less damage if it KOs Golem before a certain point. Also, Moltres attracts Legacy Omastar, Tyranitar, Rhydon, and Golem for 4x Effective Rock Moves, while Tyranitar attracts Machamp, and maybe Heracross, making Tyranitar harder to counter since it requires a specific moveset on 2 Pokémon. God forbid Raid Tyranitar carries Fire Blast for Heracross.

Last edited:

Expert Evan

While moltres is easy, and those 2 level 40 Japanese players with all golem teams is crazy enough though inspiring, I expect zapdos to be on the difficulty level or even more compared to articuno and back to using 9 or more players just to defeat zapdos.

I already have one fully powered golem with rock moves, few others have ground moves which I intend to reserve for raikou whenever that's available. Otherwise I expect to be using my tyranitars, dragonites, and rhydon as well, maybe even piloswine with its ice moves if it is really necessary but don't want to invest in stardust with that just yet since that's precious.

Intriguing I just put my new shiny gyarados in a gym to show off, and then raid boss quilava shows up minutes afterwards.

breh

強いだね
Part of moltres being duoable is simply that the timer is longer. If the timer wasn't longer legendary raids would be nearly impossible without insane group sizes.

Expert Evan

We did a moltres raid with 5 of us today and 20 seconds left on the clock, am expecting zapdos to be nowhere this easy as I almost have my top 6 pokemon ready and will consider secondary stuff even if piloswine happens to be there, certainly avoiding blissey.

FlamingVictini

FV - msg on discord FlamingVictini#3784
is a Top Tiering Contributorwon the 16th Official Smogon Tournamentis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
We did a moltres raid with 5 of us today and 20 seconds left on the clock, am expecting zapdos to be nowhere this easy as I almost have my top 6 pokemon ready and will consider secondary stuff even if piloswine happens to be there, certainly avoiding blissey.
Yeah i just did a moltres raid with 5, I didn't even use all of my A team cuz my strat was to use frail stuff do damage early then allow the bonus reset to bring in my auto-selected best team. Other people used blissey anchors (bitchy move imo but w/e) and I only got 6 balls but I managed to catch it, and we took it down with nearly 2 minutes to spare.

breh

強いだね
Yeah I've also done a moltres raid with 5 people and (iirc?) even had more time than that. It's practically a function of how lucky you are with the pokemon selector lol

Zapdos is gonna be harder because ttar doesn't work as well against it relatively. People that have golem out the ass will be about the same off, but that's not most people.

Finally caught my white whale (Lugia) but still haven't hatched my pink whale (Cleffa)

Moltres has a lot more you can use against it, I could use my Arcanine, for example, Zapdos is only weak to rock and Ice, and due to electric typing, rules out a fair chunk of ice.

can someone tell me what the berry limit is.. 2 people have just fed a total of 43 berries in 27 minutes... on stuff freshly added to the gym.

Last edited:

breh

強いだね
You didn't really do much effort; you just copypasted the links from the video that he took from reddit. It's like a waterfall of reposted content, lol

I'm still not overwhelmingly enthused by the thought of dumping stardust into Golem in the first place... Although it's useful at the current moment because of good matchups vs. Moltres (/ eventually Ho-oh and irrelevant Charizard) + Zapdos, its unique uses are pretty limited in the future after those mons lapse. It may be able to take down a raid boss like, say, Entei well, but it's not going to do it much better if at all relative to Vaporeon. It's not a future-proofed Pokemon; the only reason that it's not outclassed by ttar from the get go is a dearth of available rock quick moves - no Rock Throw means no STAB Rock quick move. Smack Down could fix this.

Rock is at least able to get STAB, though - Fairy's problems are worse and won't really ever improve because Niantic backed themselves into a corner by making Draining Kiss / Disarming Voice (whyyyy) charge moves. The only avenue for a STAB Fairy quick move is Fairy Wind, which is only realistically useful on Florges, which is like 2 years from now.

Also, since this is kind of funny - Kyogre does not have any avenues for a STAB quick move unless Niantic decides to make Muddy Water or Waterfall quick moves or they give it Hidden Power (which is horrible RNG-based trolling).

FlamingVictini

FV - msg on discord FlamingVictini#3784
is a Top Tiering Contributorwon the 16th Official Smogon Tournamentis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
I think its definitely worth it to have at least one golem; I took mine to level 30 and stopped because I know the breakpoint at 31.5 is never gonna be the difference between beating a moltres raid or not beating it for me, and I'd rather save the candy for evolving another high level geodude straight into a golem. Golem is easily the best rock attacker (aside from legacy omastar vs cuno/molt) and generically it is nice to have double rock; I sometimes used golem to clean weakened gyms over my dragonite because he can sometimes do it faster.

Expert Evan

While I'm sticking to free raid passes until zapdos is available, and recently maxed out 2 of my bite/crunch tyranitars and 2 of my dragon tail / outrage dragonites, I just hatched my best dratini yet at 97% with only flaw in defense at 14. When it evolved, it got steel wing & outrage, as a fast TM was able to fix that instantly. Based on the video posted here and the spreadsheet suggested, I'll probably level this new dragonite up to level 30 at least. While I won't have enough stardust in time for the zapdos raids, I should hopefully have it ready for anything else that may come about as I expect ho-oh to be no joke and it should deal well with any of the legendary dogs. I'll have my ground move golems & rhydons ready for raikou.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Today, I spent yesterday's Raid Pass on a Moltres. Didn't catch it, but the Experience of beating it net me a bunch of Items and sent me up a level, netting me even more Items. Then another Moltres spawned only a few hundred meters away. I decided to go spend today's raid pass to battle it.

Problem was, all the items I received from beating the first Moltres and levelling up filled my bag and then some. I thought I'd throw away some stuff en route to the second Gym, but was caught up in a conversation and forgot all about it. We arrived at the second Gym just in time to jump in and battle. Only afterwards did I realize that I hadn't got a second Raid Pass before I started the battle. My bag was full, after all. There went my last Premium Raid Pass.

And then I opened the bag and found out my Item count was 484/400. Doing several events that pay out bunches of Items turns out to fill your bag to the brim and then some! Mostly with stuff you don't need, yet still can't toss away! I mean, who throws away Rare Candies or Golden Razz Berries? That'd be a waste, wouldn't it?

Speaking of Rare Candies, spending them is a total pain in the rear. You can convert Rare Candy into any candy - one at a time. It takes forever-and-a-half to reduce the number by a meaningful amount. Once again, a great example of Niantic design!

breh

強いだね
You started the conversational topic, and I continued on it. It is quite literally the same data that I have been seeing on TSR for the past weeks.

Golem is inferior statistically to Lapras / Articuno for the purposes of taking down quad ice weak pokemon. The people who are powering up multiple golem are almost certainly the same people who have more than multiple Lapras and Articuno. FWIW, Salamence cannot get STAB Flying quick moves without Hidden Power or Fly as a new quick move.

It seems rankedboost pulled all of those moves out of their ass (Kyogre cannot learn any of those moves); those stats are also pre-cp rebalances (as you can see by Regice / Regirock having terrible stats in their list...). I'm not entirely sure that that page isn't some elaborate april fools prank or just some ploy to get more ad clicks for when gen 3 is eventually slated to come out.

Codraroll The rare candy spending mechanic is perfectly in alignment with the main games, just with a teensy bit of added lag between every single action :^)

evolved my 96% Larvitar (got worst moves AGAIN) TMed and got bite stone edge.. bite doesn't really move... stone edge doesn't really limit either, and my candy runs out -.5 short of the cutoff I wanted :(

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)