CAP 23 CAP 23 - Art Submissions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quanyails

On sabbatical!
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus

Shaded in the tapeworm. In case you missed it in my previous post, I've made the tail wispier.

I also doodled a chameleon with some of the feedback I've gotten from Golurkyourself, Rapti, Khalvin8, and Darqueeze (I think). The raw photo (as poor as it is) as seen here. I foremost made my chameleon based on a Jackson's chameleon, as the horns help with the Dragon typing. I gave the chameleon more pronounced hands and gave it long, thin claws that also double as puppeteer strings. The "cuffs" are now wispy, rather than previously the strings around the elbows. Aaand the chameleon became a little more maniacal. :P

I should've worked more on the chameleon, but I really wanted to polish the tapeworm first. >_>

Responses for those I didn't get to on Discord:

Falchion: I gave it a try! I'm not sure if I like it, since they take away from the actual tape aspect. It also feels Zygarde-ish, having a snaky creature being composed of lots of small bits.
SilvanRaptor: Your will-o-the-wisp dragon strikes out a lot in contrast to the other designs! It's cute and colorful, while most other designs are spooky and dark. Either would work, but I think the Shoggoth is probably a better fit since this ghost may not get Will-O-Wisp and Fire-type coverage.
Okamu: Does it look like a Normal-type over Ghost-type or Dragon-type? Or both? I hope the wispy tail makes it look more ghostly, at least. :)

Edit: After feedback from Deck Knight, Victor S. Court, Integer Mova, FellFromtheSky, garbagery, Project_Mars, and KnightsofCydonia, I gave the tape-wyrm swirly eyes. I think it's a cool design addition because they fit both eyeless and eyed themes!

Last edited:

nyttyn

From Now On, We'll...
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
hey guys figured i'd pop in and clear up a common misconception about spirit shackle (assuming we get it which is fairly likely).

it has nothing to do with shackles or chains or locks or anything, it's a reference to a mythological ninja technique where they'd lock down someone's movement by pinning their shadow with a kunai or shuriken. that's why A) the attack animation is a arrow hitting the opponent's shadow (arrows have pointed tips like the prior mentioned weapons) and B) why it's called Shadow Stitching in JP, and mentions stitching the target's shadow in the move's description text. The english release just botched the name by giving it a literal translation of what it does that unfortunately gives the completely wrong idea thanks to the term "shackle."

Shaded in Tapewyrm. In case you missed it in my previous post, I've made the tail wispier.

I also doodled a chameleon with some of the feedback I've gotten from Golurkyourself, Rapti, Khalvin8, and Darqueeze (I think). The raw photo (as poor as it is) as seen here. I foremost made my chameleon based on a Jackson's chameleon, as the horns help with the Dragon typing. I gave the chameleon more pronounced hands and gave it long, thin claws that also double as puppeteer strings. The "cuffs" are now wispy, rather than previously the strings around the elbows. Aaand the chameleon became a little more maniacal. :P

I should've worked more on the chameleon, but I really wanted to polish Tapewyrm first. >_>
Originally it was Normal over Ghost, but the shading and tail made it look more spoopy now, so all is good!

Many of the submissions here, while artistically excellent, really strike me as unsuitable for CAP. Pokémon certainly doesn't shy away from the occasional piece of nightmare fuel in its designs and lore (see: Gengar, Cubone and Marowak, Mega Garchomp, Yamask and Cofagrigus, Yveltal, Nihilego etc.), but it's never full-on grimdark. I know that Dragon/Ghost as a typing lends itself to a certain kind of aesthetic, but I am firmly against the assumption that that aesthetic has to be "skeletal" or "horror movie outtake".

Having said that, there are several submissions here that I think capture the essence of Dragon/Ghost while also maintaining some of the levity and/or beauty that underpins a good Pokémon design. I'd particularly like to single out Quanyails's Tapewyrm, SilvanRaptor's Will-O'-The-Wisp dragon, Sunfished's goth sea slug, HeaLnDeaL's Shib Dragon and Reigaheres's bearded Quetzalcoatl as designs that maintain a strong Dragon/Ghost feel without being too overdrawn or grotesque.

Done some final touches since the ability stuff is here, might as well comment on other ppl
also here's the other design
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/238687703741235200/353477885434265600/cap23_3.0.jpg
THE FIRST DESIGN'S SIDE VIEW (for modelers and spriters)
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/246711639284383744/355123493949669378/BRIGHTER.jpg

also supporting for extra po1nts
http://i.imgur.com/1t1Jouy.jpg
http://imgur.com/a/71abG
http://imgur.com/a/38rD6
http://imgur.com/a/sgQqZ

Quaniyails it's really cool and gives off so much of a pokemon vibe(which is good cus this is a pokemon) but in a way it feels like a ghost/normal. I can see the dragon but normal takes it up more probably due to color scheme, but otherwise its a top contender for cap

SilvanRaptor : wtf ur willo wisp dragon is fuccin cute i'd vote for it, but choosing that design means we have to give cap 23 willo wisp/some fire moves for flavour tho.

JaeBirdie : I like the third color pallete the most

Okamu : I really like where your going with this, stands out from most of hte cap 23s due to it being colorful but, maybe it's too colourful? Try dulling it down a bit to see if it works but ik that thing is going places
[hide/]

If i didnt comment on urs i probably had nothing else to say ;-;

Last edited:

Reiga

im dying squirtle
is a Top Artist
Haven't commented since page 2 so here we go:

DatHeatmor : As nyttyn pointed out, the stitching in Spirit Shackle is made via a throwing weapon, so its not so literal as you put it. Either way, its quite the cute and creative design. Pokemon based on haunted dolls, like Banette and arguably Mimikyu, are usually fan favorites and the concept of a haunting dragon plushy is very cute, but I feel like the stitches gets excessive, and I'm stilll not sure if I feel keen on the segmented body

Mr Spyda : A hilarious idea, but one that with a design like that won't fit in Pokemon. It's quite literal, which makes it quite awkward looking with the dragon being weirdly added onto the box and the bone and skull only seemingly being added so its somehow a Ghost type. Trapping in this CAP shouldn't even be too literal, considering at most it's going to just be using Spirit Shackle and maybe Anchor Shot. I don't know why this has to be said too, but you gotta have a design that can actually walk, because or else it's just living a pitiful existence.

letterman4 : Nothing about this seems to be Dragon at all, and the big nose just makes it look like an edgy tengu. I'd definitely recommend amalgamating the concepts more and actually evoking the japanese dragon look.

Chomz : A bit too literal of a design, the excess of chains just make it look really into BDSM, and the ghost type at this point can only be seen by its blue coloring. Perhaps lessen the chains and make the few chains left evoke more the chained phantom look?

darmico : Looks to be a very preliminary sketch; I can't make out much of it, but it certainly looks overly skinny and with way too enormous of a tail.

The Steam Punk : Pretty cool looking, but it doesn't evoke much its hypnotic look and ends up looking rather generic.

EpicUmbreon29 : Interesting design, but its looking a tad too plain, with the black marking in the facemask and the red part looking unneeded. I'd mostly consider doing something with the main body and giving it a more interesting pose.

11bug : Simple, but certainly cute. It looks draconic enough, but the ghost typing isn't so clear and it could be confused for a myrad of other typings. I'd reccomend messing with the smoke on top for something ghosty and fixing the mouth.

KeeganSkymin4444 : Looks more like a psychic type, with its pink color scheme and third eye, and is otherwise pretty plain, with not a lot of interesting stuff in the design.

HatfulofBomb : I wasn't too big of a fan of the design at first, but you've definitely cultivated it into something at least moderately interesting. The lock on it though, feels like it's not even part of the Pokemon and just something someone put on it as a prank, so I'd revise that.

thebangzats : Very fun design, but one that no matter what I find difficult seeing as a Ghost/Dragon, because it leaves both those aesthetics on the backseat, making it look more like a Psychic/Dark type. The shapes are very cool though, and the glyphs on the shackles are a nice touch.

D4rk3r : Sleek and cool looking, this is a pretty fun design. Main gripe is that it still looks too much like a fox more than for its own good. But I still like it.

epicparker : I'm sorry to say this but it looks nothing like a Pokemon, and the tiny skeleton and the random clown gettup really downgrade the design. Pokemon also never delves into the point of its stuff just being scary shit, and the skeleton hands make it also look a tad awkward.

chuckeroo777 : It certainly looks like an assassin, but other than that I'm not sure if it fits this CAP. Whatever is the case, it looks too mechanical for a living creature, and definitely deserves a ghastlier redesign.

Felis Licht : I like the headdress tbh, and it's indeed a very cute looking... puppy? Hell if I know what animal it is, but it's cute. The wall design is a bit more present in there than before, but it's still not as present as it should or could be. A sense of scale would be nice too, since I'm not sure if this is teeny tiny or giant enough to actually work as a wall.

12MONeil : It's a concept I've thought of before that can be interesting, but in execution it ends up pretty plain, just looking like an awkwardly curled up snake. Its a bit draconic, but it doesn't look like its typing that much. Its just weird how plain it is, considering its such an interesting typing as Dragon/Ghost yet is about as grounded and snake-like as Ekans.

Hollymon : It's a cute idea, but I really don't like the wooden frame, and I can't see the semblance to the three monkeys. It looks too minimalist imo, and considering CAP23 will likely be physical, not that menacing either. There's also already been a hydra in CAP, so people might be bored by that department.

Zephias : Cool body shape, nice colors, and the typing screams pretty obviously. My only gripe is how its concept is a tad... plain? It's just a ghost posessing a dragon and that's it, and I'd honestly want to see something more out of it.

FellFromtheSky : A very beautiful design, it uses a color combination I wouldn't think would be effective quite, well, effectively, and it certainly exudes a mysterious aura. The flowing hair, though, seems weird looking and detracts the draconic look a bit by making it a bit more mammalian, and the Kitsunoh comparison can definitely be done, since both are at least partially quadruped masked ghosts. Still, one of my more favorite designs.

Magistrum : Not much to comment on it since last comment, other than it still looks really cool! I'm not a personal fan of tail hand though, and it kind of looks weird.

Morghulis : Very cute. The chariot idea is interesting and I love the main dragon's overbite, but the shadow dragons and the chariot seem like contrasting elements, which don't mesh well in my opinion and certainly aren't connected much.

JaeBirdie : Not much I can read from this sketch, but it's got an interesting body shape, and I hope to see more.

SilvanRaptor : ADORABLE. Extremely lovely color scheme, with a nice anal beads-like body shape. Still, I feel like this is a design that could easily be screwed by abilities and/or by the CAP likely not getting any fire moves, but at least that shoggoth ain't half bad either.

Sunfished : who did her hair?

Durengardnit : Color scheme definitely evokes ghost type more now, and it's a cool concept, but it might be too harsh of a color scheme, and looks less like Pokemon's clean, more circular art style and more like an actual fantasy JRPG enemy.

Menshay : Interesting concept, but it's looking a bit generic when it comes to dragons, so I'd recommend experimenting with the shape language and body shapes.

Golurkyourself : Clowns are the scariest things since frogs, so the typing makes sense, and I really enjoy the rubber hose arms, but I feel like even for a clown its got too many colors going on, and I'm not a fan of the red lipstick or the way the tail looks.

Sgt.Moose : Egg dragon still looking clean af, with a more final stage look. Definitely enjoy it. Backup plan not as much, especially since I gotta give the generic comment of it being a bit grim for Pokemon, with the rope looking tacky and looking like a leash someone put on it so it doesn't run off and get run over.

HeaLnDeaL : PUPPER! I can really get behind the cuteness of this design, and it now really smoothly shows the dragon ghost energies the pupper has gathered. I enjoy your efforts at making something out of this, even if I can't get behind the meme appeal.

ZardX : It's... a dragon ghost. Not much to say about it because that's what it is, and the lack of any outside force uniting the elements makes it end up generic looking.

Falchion : I love the dragon's mustache, and reaper dino looks like he'd go out for a beer with my vulture amphitere. I feel though, that the designs' are cluttered and overly spiky. Remember, Pokemon have mostly round shapes. Actually, both those characteristics can be applied into Digimon's design philosophy, so you know its bad for a pokemon design.

Okamu : The colors are looking too saturated, and the body is looking rather plain, especially compared to the face. The burning ashes theme is also not prevalent, only being noticeable in the small portion of the design that is the head.

Quanyails : Love the new shading, and the translucent look really makes it look like a ghost type. Not much to say, but this is one of my favorite designs so far.

Garbagery : Looking good my man, the colors have gotten a step up and he's looking smooth. The combination of a snake eye with a keyhole eye though, isn't one of the bests.

Likely my final Baku unless someone can suggest otherwise. I'm kinda tired from Paint.NET-ing when I should be reading my college textbooks, so here is the result.

Last edited:

Sunfished

fisch
is a Top Artistis a Community Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
update!

Biggest change was the arms. I got a lot of feedback stating it was a bit too much like mienshao's weird arm things, so changed it. Other than that it's pretty much the same, just a bit sassier and made the tendrils have a bit more movement to give it a ghosty look

Hopefully it'll be my final update in terms of shapes if the abilities and stats goes well

HeaLnDeaL

Let's Keep Fighting
is an Artistis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
(is there a way to put the picture in the post instead of a link with imgur?)
Above the text box where you right a post, right next the "smilies" icon click the "image" icon and paste your URL into the box that comes up.

Above the text box where you right a post, right next the "smilies" icon click the "image" icon and paste your URL into the box that comes up.
Cannot quite figure it out, it is appearing as a broken link. Thank you HealnDeal

It has a different head and color scheme this time as well as not having blood.

Last edited:

HeaLnDeaL

Let's Keep Fighting
is an Artistis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Cannot quite figure it out, it is appearing as a broken link.

Here is the normal link since I am bad at using technology
https://imgur.com/a/96eDm

It has a different head and color scheme this time.
You're posting the image url for the album, not the image. In imgur, right click the image itself, click copy link or image address, and then copy that into the pop up box when you hit the image link in smogon. You should notice this time that your url ends in a .png or .jpeg.

and now for something completely different...

WIP #4

Despite the handful of positive comments, I see some mixed ones as well, and upon introspection my old design didn't feel Pokemon enough for me. I just looks like Cthulhu, full stop. Pokemon designs are unique, eye catching. My old one feels forgettable. I also noticed that how the design looks when using Spirit Shackle / Anchor Shot seems less important to most people. Some great designs would make no sense throwing anchors or pinning shadows, but people seem to still like them.

I don't know if everyone will prefer this over the old, but I definitely think it's at least more "Pokemon" to me.

It's a Living Graveyard of Dragons.
Dragons so powerful that even in death their energy lingers, resulting in walking bones that still thirst for battle.

EDIT: Boney claws.

Last edited:
ZardX : It's... a dragon ghost. Not much to say about it because that's what it is, and the lack of any outside force uniting the elements makes it end up generic looking.
So, need some ideas on revising the dragon. Its generic so, I need to make it more original, maybe a chain could work or some trap like feautures.

I dub my design Brontocorpsus, working title, obviously. The general idea is that it uses its herbivorous body type and corpse-like appearance as a form of camouflage, playing dead until a scavenger comes along to pick it. Then, using its long neck and tail, it contorts around the foe, trapping it and eventually choking it in the manner of a constrictor snake. Moves like Spirit Shackle and Wrap have the most obvious flavor connotations, but I think others could work as well.

Design-wise, I went for a simple style that I think will translate well to sprite art, as well as to the 3D modeling project. The mix of dark flesh with exposed bone gives it a look almost like rotting carion, which I think speaks very well to the Dragon/Ghost typing. Details like the claw marks near its neck -- intended as yet another form of camouflage-- or the ghostly red-eye add some spice to it.

Feedback is welcome, thanks for your consideration!

https://plus.google.com/photos/phot...750&ssid=e7606391-1be9-44ba-833c-3d030c6e4ef6
My dragon now has an alternate form in battle, in battle it loses its ectoplasm wings for "wings" of Thousand Waves made of ectoplasm, its tail is now is anchor for it to use Anchor Shot and in its hands, The ectoplasm in its hands are now bows and arrows for Spirit Shackle. Not as generic anymore but still rather simple.

Modedit: No name submissions.

Last edited by a moderator:
WIP

Okay, first thing's first, yes the picture is very blurry, that's a simple problem with resizing, I'm going to work on that in the next draft along with any criticisms. Also, I can tell you may be confused as to what this is, and honestly I don't blame you. This design is a combination of two elements, the first being adzarchid pterosaurs, hence the body form, and also off of medieval plague doctors, with the mask. The dragon typing comes in with the winged reptile body structure, and the ghost typing comes from the overall color scheme, and the skull esque mask shape, and the eerie stigma around plague doctors as a whole. Trapping moves are hard to really justify for this pokemon, but I plan on making the mask look more stitched, allowing for spirit shackle options, and the theories that adzarchids would use their long necks as a way of cutting off the escape routes of small ground dwelling prey like baby dinosaurs.

thebangzats when I saw the opening sentence I thought I was going to be really mad because I really liked the Cthullu you had going on, and the I saw the design. The dragraveyard is amazing looking and the only criticism I would suggest is a little more variation between the skulls to really emphasize that it is more than one dragon.

Quanyails

On sabbatical!
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
I wanted to acknowledge some other artists and their designs, so I decided to make fanart sketches of them. :) Click for full view!

The one that started them, Reigaheres:

SilvanRaptor:

Garbagery:

HeaLnDeaL + FellFromtheSky:

sunfished:

Sgt.Moose:

I'll probably be sticking with Tapewyrm for my design, since it doesn't look like there's anything in the ability thread that really motivates Chameleon over Tapewyrm, and people like Tapewyrm.

Garbagery: As I said on Discord, your older drawing has a much nicer line of action. Dynamics are nice when they're not in-your-face. ^^;
thebangzats, I like your older design. Yeah, Pokemon designs are a bit more abstract, but your current one can come across as cobbled and bizarre rather than a natural being.
YourFavDalmatian: Thanks a lot for being considerate of spriters and modelers. :)

Sunfished

fisch
is a Top Artistis a Community Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus

Decided to go for a second wip design, in case nomatose.

Based on a blanket, but also things like "the monster under kids' beds". I see it using its long, creepy arms to grab and "lock" foes from fleeing

Last edited:

Reiga

im dying squirtle
is a Top Artist

Here's my second design in case Comatose wins!

A bit of a twist on the slumbering dragon trope, it's a very weak dragon, but one that falls asleep extremely easily and who can call forth a wispy dragon straight from his dreams to do the fighting!
If Comatose does win, I'll work on integrating the baby dragon to the dream dragon more. Right now the sleeping dragon is mostly based on a baby dragon in his pajamas, while the dragon from his dreams basically augments the small dragon's base characteristics, and the horns are a reference to sheep, i.e. counting sheep!

Here's my second design in case Comatose wins!

A bit of a twist on the slumbering dragon trope, it's a very weak dragon, but one that falls asleep extremely easily and who can call forth a wispy dragon straight from his dreams to do the fighting!
If Comatose does win, I'll work on integrating the baby dragon to the dream dragon more. Right now the sleeping dragon is mostly based on a baby dragon in his pajamas, while the dragon from his dreams basically augments the small dragon's base characteristics, and the horns are a reference to sheep, i.e. counting sheep!
My critique: Nice design but, the sleeping pajama dragon basically has a stand for the Ghost type part. Except its like a ghost stand from its dreams but what if it learns Dream Eater? (Not that it will probably have good use of it.) Pretty cute but a rather odd concept with the dreamgon there as the foe instead of the baby dragon.

thebangzats when I saw the opening sentence I thought I was going to be really mad because I really liked the Cthullu you had going on, and the I saw the design. The dragraveyard is amazing looking and the only criticism I would suggest is a little more variation between the skulls to really emphasize that it is more than one dragon.
Basically sums up my thoughts. I still love Cthulu immensely, though, and am saddened it's not. Here, however, it appears more akin to a Pseudo Legendary.

thebangzats keep Cthulhu if comatose wins. He's still sleeping in r'lyeh ;)

That said, I really like dragon raveyard B) I think the small ghostly Shadow body underneath doesn't work though. Give it a bigger more substantial shadow body that looks like it could actually hold the raveyard up.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)