Battle Tree Discussion and Records

The only physical attackers Chansey would be going up against have already had their attack lowered or will be coming out after Chansey has defeated a special attacker, in which case Chansey should be at 100% HP with a Substitute and +6 evasion. Whether against a special attacker or a crippled physical attacker (and it doesn't take much effort to neuter a physical attacker when even something like Mega Aerodactyl can't break a Chansey Sub at just -1), the only way Chansey could possibly be in danger is through repeated critical hits or secondary effects, so being faster and able to set up a Substitute and evasion before opponents can move does in fact make it better defensively. In the scenario where Chansey's out against a physical attacker that comes out second or third, its Substitute is at the very least an extra 81 HP an opponent must take out to KO it. Full investment in HP only gives Chansey 32 more HP and doing so leaves it too slow to put up a Substitute first against a bunch of annoying OHKO and status users.

Just play the Battle Tree more. If you have a team that can easily win 50+ in a row, that's basically a Rare Candy's worth of BP every 15-20 minutes (plus the additional Rare Candy/Bottle Cap/whatever else you get from the attendant when the streak ends). If you're trying to get something to level 100 so you can use bottle caps, that's not going to be much slower than grinding through the Elite 4, and it comes with the added bonus of making you better at actually playing the game.
Appreciated for the feedback.
I'm a bit confused by what you said, are you saying it is better to grind through battle tree with the team to get rare candy and BP and bottle caps every 20mins rather than going through elite 4?

So I want to level all my winning team pokemons to 100 (lv 84, 53, 54 respectively), I need about 109 rare candies.
And you are saying by playing battle tree to 50+ to get the candies enough would be actually much more worth it?

I would need to play about 34 hours at the minimum straight assuming I can win and play like a machine consistently to get that result.
Man, that is a lot of work still, even if it is much much shorter than doing it traditionally via elite 4 or FC route that is popular on the internet.

What works better for Mimikyu, Wide Lens Play Rough or Fairium-Z?

Was considering Z-Splash but I think Swords Dance works better.

Just want to get the Multi Stamp honestly so no big streaks. Got a Megagross as a partner (desperately need to find Cynthia and her Mega Luke)

What works better for Mimikyu, Wide Lens Play Rough or Fairium-Z?

Was considering Z-Splash but I think Swords Dance works better.

Just want to get the Multi Stamp honestly so no big streaks. Got a Megagross as a partner (desperately need to find Cynthia and her Mega Luke)
Between those two options, I'd say Fairium-Z. A +2 Play-Rough Z should down anything that doesn't resist it.

I seriously hate Wally both as a rival and a Tree opponent. Out of all the trainers in the Tree he's the one I dread facing the most. Not only is there a 50/50 chance he'll bring Scarf-Chomp, barring Altaria, the rest of his Pokemon pose a threat in some way or another. Gallade beats both Salazzle and Lopunny (the latter of which was KOd by a crit in the losing battle sealing my fate), Magnezone beats Mimikyu and completely walls Tapu Koko, and Scarf-Chomp is a problem for everyone. Depending on the order he sends them out there could be no way I can win as was the case in this instance. Assault Vest Magnezone is a pain even with Salazzle but when she's gone all I'm left with is Lopunny. When I don't have her, I can't touch it at all. I've honestly hated him ever since I played Ruby and he wiped out my party at the very end of the Victory Road when it had taken me hours to get through it in the first place. That is still one of the most frustrating moments I've had in a video game.[/HIDE]
He's also very hateable as a Multi partner, FYI.

Posting a Multi-Battle (with AI partner) streak of 80.

Lost at 81 due to misplaying. I was pretty sure Hydreigon would go into Dragon move and yet decided to protect to keep my Mimikyu's disguise in case Togekiss attacked with Dazzling Gleam.

Ended up having to rely on the AI Sableye to win of which wasn't going to happen as status move galore (Sableye-4, Fake Out, Foul Play, Will-o-Wisp and Metal Burst). I had half hoped that +2 Shadow Sneak would take out MGengar but that +20 Def came in clutch. I won most of my battles with Mega Salamence and Mega Metagross basically steamrolling their way through the enemy, doubling down if need be. Mimikyu was a back up sweeper that got a few free turns if Metagross was around or Sableye could Fake Out. Fake Out came in handy a few times, I was able to get a free Dragon Dance up and then continue my assault.

All that said, not too fussed. I only wanted the final stamp for my passport and just wanted to see how far I could go and 80 with a sub-optimal back up was pretty good IMO.

Loss video:

MHSW-WWWW-WWW8-ZNAQ

Team:

>

Salamence @ Salamencite
Ability: Aerilate
Level: 50
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 12 SpD / 236 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Return
- Earthquake
- Dragon Dance
- Protect

Mimikyu @ Fairium-Z
Ability: Disguise
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Play Rough
- Shadow Claw
- Shadow Sneak

Aether Foundation Employee Harvey

>

Metagross @ Metagrossite
Ability: Light Metal
Level 50
Jolly Nature
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
- Meteor Mash
- Zen Headbutt
- Brick Break
- Bullet Punch

Sableye @ Focus Sash
Ability: Prankster
Level 50
Careful Nature
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
- Fake Out
- Foul Play
- Will-o-Wisp
- Metal Burst

Great streak! But when do you actually get to use the Earthquake without completely screwing your partner over?
I feel it's a necessary evil. Thankfully Brick Break means I don't have to worry about Steels much and unlike Lucario, Megagross can actually take one or two hits from Earthquake (provided that there is no crit or damage from opponent but even then Critical hits 2HKO). Even if they do take Megagross out, Sableye sometimes got the drop on them with Metal Burst.

My main play was Return (as it should be) xD

Anyway, now that that stamp is done think I'll revist my Oranguru/Torkoal Team, especially since Mega Camerupt is now mine and I've bred a 31/0/31/31/31/0 Numel (love Magikarp Swap so much). MCamerupt's Eruption is more powerful outside of Sun than Torkoals in Sun, not to mention Earth Power and Flamethrower are still brilliant, especially with Sheer Force.

Last edited:
Yes! Finally got that 50 win multi Battle streak (ongoing currently).

That is two weeks of gaming I will not relish doing again... Although I kinda promised my son we'd do it together when he finishes Moon. Told him he could choose whatever Mega he liked and we'd build around it - he's chosen Gardevoir, so any thoughts welcome!

In the end did it with the Celesteela and Salamence I'd had a few runs with, paired with Kiawe's Mega-Kangaskhan and Salazzle. This time changed the lead around with Celesteela in the front. Also changed Celesteela up a little and went Steelium-Z on the same moveset I'd been using of Flash Cannon, Air Slash, Giga Drain, Protect. I'd found lefties too passive, and Life Orb wore me down too quickly, but Steel-Z let me clear ice types for Salamence to clean late game if needed while also allowing Beast Boosts to get cracking early. Made the lead change because I was tired of seeing so many Ice types in the opposing leads after another high 30s run ended with me switching Celesteela into a Blizzard, only for Kang to get frozen yet again.

Main play aspect I think I did better was not playing too defensively with Celesteela. I was guilty of protecting too much before, at times losing a lot of momentum when the anticipated SE attack went into Kang instead. Tended to attack if I knew I could survive the hit, expending Celesteela's hit points in exchange for momentum (or even when I wouldn't survive but could get the damage Mence needed to net the KO on entry). Made better use of Salazzle's mid-late game Fake Out when/if Kang went down too I think this time around.

Just need to get a 200 streak to feel like I've actually fully completed the tree, which will be great when I get there, since this is my first ever battle facility play despite playing since Yellow.

Now I'd better get to breeding that shiny Gardevoir in Alpha Sapphire and think about how to support it...

Last edited:
I want to do Single Tower with an Mega Altaria + "Fast" Chansey(can someone please tell me its statspread?)

What would be a good third team member? Mega Altaria has the same set as Mega-Salamence btw!(Return/DD/Roost/Sub)

I want to do Single Tower with an Mega Altaria + "Fast" Chansey(can someone please tell me its statspread?)

What would be a good third team member? Mega Altaria has the same set as Mega-Salamence btw!(Return/DD/Roost/Sub)
Are you trying to replicate the Mega Salamence/Aegislash/Chansey team, but with Mega Altaria instead of Mega Salamence? Cause if you are, I don't think it will work out well for you. That team relies heavily on crippling an opponent so a Pokemon can safely set up on it, using Intimidate and King's Shield for physical attackers and Chansey for special attackers. Mega Altaria lacks the overall bulk, speed, power, and Intimidate that Mega Salamence has.

However, if you still want to go with it, I can see Aegislash still working. With it, you'll have a resistance of every type except for Ground, and be able to keep the overall concept of teams with similar plans as yours. Just be careful of Heatran, you pretty much would have to use Chansey to deal with it.

And if by stat spread you mean EV spread, it's Timid with max Speed and usually max HP.

Is happiness maintained in QR rental teams? I'm with a rented Mega-Salamence and Return seems underwhelming. For instance, I just failed to KO Sableye 1 at +5

Wrong question, why is happiness reset for QR teams, and can someone point me towards a M-Salamence/Aegis/Chansey rental team that works?

Last edited:
If it's reset for QR teams then people should really use Frustration.

Source - I just used Return MSalamence and consistently KO'd stuff, non - QR team

If it's reset for QR teams then people should really use Frustration.

Source - I just used Return MSalamence and consistently KO'd stuff, non - QR team
Yeah, my bad, I input the base happiness into Return's power and got the expected result. The actual Return power for the base happiness of Salamence is pitifully low, so I guess the uploader quit maximizing happines 25% of the way through. I think I'll take the Bender route with this one.

Probably some crippling/trickscarf lead. With Aegislash it seems like a pretty bad matchup against Charizard X.

cityscapes

Take care of yourself.
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnus
Probably some crippling/trickscarf lead. With Aegislash it seems like a pretty bad matchup against Charizard X.
i disagree with this, mega altaria is immune to dragon so it handles zard x for the most part (unless flare blitz burn/rock slide flinch).

Yeah, my bad, I input the base happiness into Return's power and got the expected result. The actual Return power for the base happiness of Salamence is pitifully low, so I guess the uploader quit maximizing happines 25% of the way through. I think I'll take the Bender route with this one.
Weird.

But then again I've harvested like 100s of the happiness berries (bar SpA) so Return isn't a problem.

Frustration isn't much of an option either for using QR teams, since Friendship's unfortunately reset to the base level for that particular Pokemon (not 0); the majority have theirs set to 70. Even if you slapped Frustration on a Salamence for example, which naturally has a lower base friendship of 35, the maximum power you'd squeeze out of the move would be (255 - 35) / 2.5 = 88; this still misses out on 14 Base Points worth of power.

okay I correct what I wanted to do and got a (frustating 3 times in a row paralysis + my enemy never missing against) 49 win streak with the following team:

Kaguron (Celesteela) @ Flyinium Z
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Air Slash
- Flash Cannon
- Flamethrower
- Autotomize

Chippy (Chansey) @ Eviolite (Thanks for the set Dude with +400 wins! This thing is godly!)
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 4 HP / 244 Def / 8 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Seismic Toss
- Soft-Boiled
- Minimize
- Substitute

Lahmusa (Slowbro-Mega) @ Slowbronite
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 156 Def / 100 SpD
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Psyshock (changed for the next run into Ice Beam)
- Slack Off
- Calm Mind

I got rekt by Enemy stacking up on more and more Electric Type until someone had Jolteon, Thundurus-I and something else I couldn't see because I got haxed to death.

I wanted to change Celesteela into Landorus-T, I have an Adamant one (with FlyniumZ), what EV's would you suggest?

This is why my philosophy in Battle Tree team building is to have my Pokemon not sharing any weaknesses. There are exceptions of course like hyper fast blitz teams where everyone dies in one hit anyways so weaknesses don't matter.

i disagree with this, mega altaria is immune to dragon so it handles zard x for the most part (unless flare blitz burn/rock slide flinch).
Please tell me what the spread would be for Mega Altaria then, because +0 Flare Blitz is taking off about 50% of Mega Altaria's health if it's not invested in defenses, and Mega Altaria would need to get to +2 and have attack investment to guarantee a OHKO on Charizard X (it would need an Adamant nature and 156 EVs to even have a chance of OHKOing at +1). If MegaZard DDs turn 1, it still outspeeds and can OHKO an uninvested Mega Altaria with a crit Flare Blitz.

Once you hammer out an EV spread that gives you a good chance in that scenario, you'll find that against other Pokemon Altaria will either not have enough defenses to maintain a Sub against resisted hits or not hit hard enough to prevent various Curse users from setting up. That to me is why you'd need some kind of crippling lead to maximize Mega Altaria's potential rather than just seeing how far Aegislash and Chansey can drag it.

Crap my Adamant Landorus is sadly hacked and getting a legendary Pokemon is a real pain...
Okay I want to use the "Fast-Chansey"+"CM-Megabro".

I had really problems with Electivire and Thundurus (and Jolteon with Fake Tears ... and never missing)

The third member of this trio should be:
- Immune to Electric Type moves
- Using a Z-Move (to counter-act evasion)
- good BST and useful for CM-Slowbro

Any good ideas? Slowbro's weakness are Ghost/Dark/Grass/Electric. Hydreigon would fit this bill for example, but I don't know how viable it is in Battle Tree.

Thanks in advance. This thread helped alot already but I feel I am close to get a good team for the tower.

Just lost a 59 streak to Magic Bounce Espeon.

My Current Team:

Durant
Item: Choice Scarf
Ability: Truant
Nature: Jolly
EVs: 252 hp/ 4 def / 252 spe
Moves: Thunder Wave
Entrainment
Bug Bite
Iron Head​

Gyarados
Item: Gyaradosite
Ability: Intimidate
Nature: Adamant
EVs: 252 hp/ 252 Attack/ 4 spD
Moves: Protect
Dragon Dance
Return
Earthquake
Aegislash
Item: Leftovers
Ability: Stance Change
Nature: Sassy
EVs: 252 hp/ 252 spdef/ 4 def
Moves: King's Shield
Toxic
Substitute
Shadow Ball
Basic strategy is to use entrainment to give the opposing mon truant, setup with gyarados, and then sweep with mega gyarados to take advantage of mold breaker. Toxic sub stall with Aegislash as a backup plan, not to mention that substalling against a mon with truant also works really well.

I lost to not expecting Magic Bounce on Dexio's Espion. It might've been salvageable if I hadn't forgotten that Magic Bounce also hits toxic . My last hope was to get a free DDance in my baiting the AI to use psychic on gyara before it went mega because it had used that earlier, but it went with grass knot instead. I don't know what the evs are the espeons in the tree use, but as long as it's not max physical defenses, durant has a good chance of OHKOing with X-Scissor. Any other suggestions?

Last edited:
It's not impossible to breed 6IV mons starting with a 4IV Ditto. I'd never bred prior to this gen, I bred a 6IV male Gible from my 4 IV Ditto (yeah, it's not quick unless you luck out, once you get a 5IV you switch it into the breeding pair until you get either the 6IV offspring or a 5IV one of the opposite gender) and then I chain bred 6IV males in overlapping egg groups until I had one in nearly all of them. I traded for a 6IV Ditto some time later, which I use now of course, but by the time I got it I didn't really need it any more apart from for genderless mons.

(then I decided I wanted some shinies, and after all is said and done I have hatched more than 12000 eggs in Sun - most of those from breeding the shinies rather than the initial achievement of getting my breeding mons sorted)
I feel like 6 is too much effort, but 5 is pretty reliable even with 3IV dittoes and then wonder trading breedjects. (I used VC red to get some breeding dittoes: it beats chaining for one.) Eventually, you'll get a few mons with each stat, and aggregating them with a destiny knot is pretty straightforward. Once you've got a couple of 4-5IV mons, you can usually capitalize on the multiple-egg-group parents to pass them around to the egg group you want to breed in next, too. There are a few exceptions; mineral is nearly impossible to get stuff in or out of, and agender mons I end up just doing the train to 100 and hyper training for the last IV or two of the 5 that I want. 6 IVs is usually somewhere between 1 in 64 and 1 in 128, if you've got pretty good initial parents, but that's still a lot of eggs to hatch, when it's a fraction of that to get to 5-IV from 4/5 IV parents.

Crap my Adamant Landorus is sadly hacked and getting a legendary Pokemon is a real pain...
Okay I want to use the "Fast-Chansey"+"CM-Megabro".

I had really problems with Electivire and Thundurus (and Jolteon with Fake Tears ... and never missing)

The third member of this trio should be:
- Immune to Electric Type moves
- Using a Z-Move (to counter-act evasion)
- good BST and useful for CM-Slowbro

Any good ideas? Slowbro's weakness are Ghost/Dark/Grass/Electric. Hydreigon would fit this bill for example, but I don't know how viable it is in Battle Tree.

Thanks in advance. This thread helped a lot already but I feel I am close to get a good team for the tower.
Note that, for the most part, your Mega Slowbro's weaknesses are on the special side, which Chansey can beat most of the time.

Landorus-T is the first thing that came to mind for me. Intimidate would help greatly for your team, and most of it's weaknesses are specially based, so your other Pokemon can beat them. Though, it seems like you can't use one...

Krookodile may work as a relatively poor substitute for Landorus-T, if you really want an Intimidate user. I'm not too sure how well it would hit though. Your team as it is really struggles against physical Electric and Grass types, and Krookodile makes that worse.

Just lost a 59 streak to Magic Bounce Espeon.

My Current Team:

Durant
Item: Choice Scarf
Ability: Truant
Nature: Jolly
EVs: 252 hp/ 4 def / 252 spe
Moves: Thunder Wave
Entrainment
Bug Bite
Iron Head​

Gyarados
Item: Gyaradosite
Ability: Intimidate
Nature: Adamant
EVs: 252 hp/ 252 Attack/ 4 spD
Moves: Protect
Dragon Dance
Return
Earthquake
Aegislash
Item: Leftovers
Ability: Stance Change
Nature: Sassy
EVs: 252 hp/ 252 spdef/ 4 def
Moves: King's Shield
Toxic
Substitute
Shadow Ball
Basic strategy is to use entrainment to give the opposing mon truant, setup with gyarados, and then sweep with mega gyarados to take advantage of mold breaker. Toxic sub stall with Aegislash as a backup plan, not to mention that substalling against a mon with truant also works really well.

I lost to not expecting Magic Bounce on Dexio's Espion. It might've been salvageable if I hadn't forgotten that Magic Bounce also hits toxic . My last hope was to get a free DDance in my baiting the AI to use psychic on gyara before it went mega because it had used that earlier, but it went with grass knot instead. I don't know what the evs are the espeons in the tree use, but as long as it's not max physical defenses, durant has a good chance of OHKOing with X-Scissor. Any other suggestions?
That's pretty much exactly how you beat Espeon with Durant, X-Scissor it. The Espeon sets that Dexio can use have no bulk whatsoever. I am curious though, why no Waterfall or Crunch on Mega Gyarados? And is there any reason for Thunder Wave on Durant?

I feel like 6 is too much effort, but 5 is pretty reliable even with 3IV dittoes and then wonder trading breedjects. (I used VC red to get some breeding dittoes: it beats chaining for one.) Eventually, you'll get a few mons with each stat, and aggregating them with a destiny knot is pretty straightforward. Once you've got a couple of 4-5IV mons, you can usually capitalize on the multiple-egg-group parents to pass them around to the egg group you want to breed in next, too. There are a few exceptions; mineral is nearly impossible to get stuff in or out of, and agender mons I end up just doing the train to 100 and hyper training for the last IV or two of the 5 that I want. 6 IVs is usually somewhere between 1 in 64 and 1 in 128, if you've got pretty good initial parents, but that's still a lot of eggs to hatch, when it's a fraction of that to get to 5-IV from 4/5 IV parents.
Once you have a Smeargle chaining for Dittos is easy, you get get something like 4 4IV (or 5IV, if you're lucky) ones in an hour. Well worth the time I think. I got a zero speed IV one (effectively a 5IV Ditto), but even barring that a few 4IV ones with different perfect IVs helped a lot.

No doubt it was a lot more effort breeding 6IV mons in each egg group, but then everything you breed after that is easy, so depending on how much you breed the payoff can be worth it in the long run (I'd never bred before this gen and have bred about 60% of the competitive mons across all the gens and traded for the rest, so seemed worth it to me).

Just to be clear, I wasn't suggesting everyone do what I did, or that it's the best or only way to do it, only making the point that it isn't "impossible" to breed ideal IV mons without a 6IV Ditto.

Ultimately everyones threshold for the effort they'll put into breeding will vary. I've bred about 30 shinies so far, so that probably speaks to my threshold. I think I draw the line at soft resetting for shiny legendaries.

Last edited:
That's pretty much exactly how you beat Espeon with Durant, X-Scissor it. The Espeon sets that Dexio can use have no bulk whatsoever. I am curious though, why no Waterfall or Crunch on Mega Gyarados? And is there any reason for Thunder Wave on Durant?
I haven't quite found an "optimal" 2 coverage moves for gyarados yet. I tried Waterfall and EQ and quickly realised that was bad. EQ and Return have just been good at being effective; if Return isn't effective EQ is, if EQ isn't effect return usually is etc. Although if you have better suggestions for coverage moves I'm open: These have just worked so far.

I grabbed thunder wave from the set that used a durant and Moody Glalie; I know that I've used it to mild efficacy at some point during the tower but I don't remember what for. If I would replace it with anything it'd be protect.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 6)