Resource Simple Questions, Simple Answers Thread (read the op before posting a thread)

Shouldn't megas that are "OU by technicality" be BL instead? Doesn't really change anything, but it makes more sense to me.
Because BL is technically a tier you could play (in a custom game) it wouldn't make sense because you wouldnt be able to use the mon that mega evolves in the first place, as it would be banned to OU. Also it really doesn't make a difference as there is no *official* playable BL tier.

Last edited:
I'm curious; why would custom games matter at all? Aren't tiering changes only made in reference to official tiers? I don't see anyone making changes for Random Battles or AAA.

Ok sorry to dial back the intelligence here but what exactly is "birdspam" is it just Flying Monotype?
Seen it thrown around a few times but no solid build guide or anything?

Ok sorry to dial back the intelligence here but what exactly is "birdspam" is it just Flying Monotype?
Birdspam is a "playstyle" where you use two or more Flying-type to wear down mutual checks and counters, paving the way for another to sweep. Current Birdspam is mostly with M-Pinsir and Z-Fly Dragonite. I've seen variations of this with things like Z-Bounce Gyarados or Z-Fly Salamence.

"Bird Spam" became a thing in the last generation when people ran Talonflame and Staraptor together to smash through Rotom-W, hence, "bird" spam. The name developed over time to include other Fly-spam teams.

And yeah before Talonflame we really did not have that powerful of a Fly-STAB attack in the meta, even though Fly-type actually has a pretty good offensive neutral coverage. So Talonflame really defined the type and hence its name.

So I'm just recently getting back into OU, and i was wondering what is this newer stall team that is apparently doing better than SPL stall? And how would this newer stall be affected by an Arena Trap ban?

Last edited:

Deleted User 400951

Banned deucer.
So I'm just recently getting back into OU, and i was wondering what is this newer stall team that is apparently doing better than SPL stall? And how would this newer stall be affected by an Arena Trap ban?
It's called double Defog or ilovepinkmons stall. It'd be hurt by the loss of Duggy but it's rather flexible so Ttar or Weavile could potentially replace it. It's in njnp's olt team thread.

Deleted User 400951

Banned deucer.
what makes mega ttar good now as opposed to last gen when he was considered fairly shit/not worth using?
Fighting-type mons and coverage were all much more prominent last gen. The advent of fairies and steels that aren't weak to fighting changed this. In addition, it's no longer too slow for the role, as it can easily set up twice. It also easily beats said new steels with Fire Punch/EQ.

Leo

after hours
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
MPL Champion
what makes mega ttar good now as opposed to last gen when he was considered fairly shit/not worth using?
Not much has really changed for it tbh. Some of its main draws as of now such as its bulk and typing were already there back in oras. What actually made mega ttar more appealing shortly after its release a couple of months ago is a combination of factors that made the meta more friendly to it. Mons that could easily check it last gen like specs keld and both scarf and defensive landot werent as common (granted scarf keld was still on a fair amount of teams), regular ttar wasnt as dominant as last gen because of dug which reduced the opportunity cost of running it, at the time there werent any megas that clearly stood up over the rest like mzor, lop and diancie from late oras and other megas like zard x and mega altaria (lol) early oras/xy which further lowered the opportunity cost. Theres probably other factors like one-time checks like rotomw and twave slowbro being dead rn but thats all I could think of. I dont think mega ttar is that good anymore (or at least not as good as it was when it was hyped) but it was a nice mega back when it was released this gen.

How come in the OU viability thread a UU pokemon can be more viable than an OU mon?

For example Rotom-W is higher (B) than Hawlucha and Ninetales-A (B-). I Feel like Rotom-W would be a perfect pivot for a bulky offensive team I'm building but feel like I'll be at a disadvantage for using a UU mon.

How come in the OU viability thread a UU pokemon can be more viable than an OU mon, for example Rotom-W is higher (B) than Hawlucha and Ninetales-A (B-). I Feel like Rotom-W would be a perfect pivot for a bulky team I'm using but feel like I'll be at a disadvantage for using a UU mon.
The tiers are defined by the usage of the Pokémon, and usage =/= viability; a lot of Pokémon from lower tiers are still very viable even if they aren't used as much. So even if Rotom-W is from a lower tier, it is still definitely viable and if it fits on your team, you will not be at a disadvantage when using it at all even if it is currently in UU.

How come in the OU viability thread a UU pokemon can be more viable than an OU mon?

For example Rotom-W is higher (B) than Hawlucha and Ninetales-A (B-). I Feel like Rotom-W would be a perfect pivot for a bulky offensive team I'm building but feel like I'll be at a disadvantage for using a UU mon.
Because viability has nothing to do with usage. If a mon is OU or UU is purely decided on if People use it in more than 3,41% of all games or not.

S. Court

[Takes hits in Spanish]
is a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Media Contributor
So, I was reading Viability Rank update and I saw something about Kanto Hyper Offense team with Specs Lele, how does it work exactly? I mean, I haven't seen this team in action tbh, which are the members of this team?

What would be some good teammates to complement Defog Mega Scizor on a rain team? I'm struggling a bit to try to come up with something.

What would be some good teammates to complement Defog Mega Scizor on a rain team? I'm struggling a bit to try to come up with something.
If running MZor on Rain you'll Need to Change quite a lot of Things to make up for what you lose:
a) You lose MPert as your physical Rain abuser, next to Kingdra/Ash Gren as your Special one. A replacement would be Kabutops, I'd suggest Z-Stone Edge
b) You lose both a Stealth Rocker (MPert) and a Spiker (Ferro). Replacements would be running Ash Gren as your Special rain Abuser with the Specs + Spikes set, and maybe adding Clef as your rocker if you can fit it in, to still have a mon that can set up rocks vs Stall like MPert could.
c) Running Defog on MZor frees up a moveslot on Pelipper for Hurricane or another Utility move. Another Option would be going Specs + Knock Off to handle Chansey
d) You lose your way of dealing with fat Waters and fat Grass. MZor somewhat makes up for the fat grass part, but you definitely Need a way to handle Things like Toxapex, Mantine, etc.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)