SPOILERS! Pokemon Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon News & Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
We might just get these 2 new UBs, Necrozma fusions and New Lycanroc form with USUM but I'm hoping we get some more new UBs and/or Alolan forms with GF changing things up a bit.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
*GASP* Substantial Ultra Sun & Ultra Moon news!

Well, more like 3 and a half months, but it felt like...

Comments are spewing in so I'll just get to my video commentary:

Direct's Sun & Moon Segment:
0:08:
Oh, 20th Movie Ash Cap Pikachu. That's neat I guess. So that's seven Ash Cap Pikachu altogether, one for each region!
0:14: New Surfer Trainer Class.
0:18: AND confirmation the story is a third version deal: same story with Sun & Moon but with a twist here, an expansion here, etc.. Also there's images showing Lillie hasn't changed and you still save Nebby being attacked by Spearow. Hey, GF, I thought you said you weren't doing that anymore? Or did you mean you weren't doing third versions anymore... because paired third versions make them more money.
Eitherway, this feels kind of sleazy. I was hoping for a different take on the Sun & Moon story when they said an alternate dimension with significant differences. But no, it's the same story, the only reason they're splitting it is just so they can have the different Necrozma formes to justify it being paired games. Now I can understand maybe it was difficult to combine the story, but in that case how about you make a sequel like with Gen V so we have a new story to go along with it being paired versions.
Initially this took a lot of hype for USUM away, the twists and expansions they add better make up for this rehashing. Still, I'm glad we now know, though I'm curious if this will effect the sales in anyway?
0:22: So as we saw from CoroCoro, looks like those sinister clouds are Necrozma's doing. Curious why this is happening that it didn't happen in the original Sun & Moon.
PART 1 (Necrozma):
0:51:
So looks like Nebby engages Necrozma after becoming Solgaleo/Lunala, both turn into light (well, Necrozma into a cloud of darkness), but then Necrozma takes over Nebby (after pinning it to the floor of the Alter). Curious if that cutscene of Necrozma summoning the dark clouds to grab Nebby is in the game proper or something for the CG menu trailer.
PART 2 (New Areas):
1:15:
Mantine Poke Ride. Diving? We don't need anymore surfing Poke Rides, please be Dive. That said, with their being surfboards that makes me worried it might be a Poke Ride which lets you ride a wave or jump over hazards in the water. Please be dive.
1:29: Oh, hey, they actually have Pokemon in the cages.
1:32: So looks like encountering our Starter is them saving us from a Yungoos, sort of like how in Platinum we needed to pick a Starter to fight wild Starly (or Hoenn games to help Birch).
PART 3 (Bonuses):
1:44:
I'm going to hold off talking about Lycanroc for the next video.
2:00: Oh, golly gee, 12 Quick Balls. Well, that convinced me to get the digital version over the cartridge. Or is this suppose to be a replacement of the pre-order gift players who can get the cartridge get (well, if you get it from the Pokemon Center, those who get it from GameStop will probably just get a lousy poster)? If that's the case, no, it's not equal. Hey, about a whole set of Apricorn Balls?
2:18: Hm, nice bonus, but I've already got a batch of them so no big loss.
PART 4 (NEW ULTRA BEASTS/POKEMON):
2:33:
SO the big news! New Ultra Beasts aka new Pokemon mid gen! That's something completely new. Now I guess it makes sense they do it with Ultra Beasts since they're from an alternate dimension so discovering new ones isn't that surprising (though unless they reorganize the National Dex they'll be separate from the other Ultra Beasts). Still, new Pokemon and I'm surprised they revealed these first than new Alolan Forms.
I'm more going to talk about the new UBs in the next video.

Official Site's Video:
Lycanroc:
So it's confirmed the Own Tempo Rockruff will ONLY evolve into Dusk, so no worry accidentally evolving it into Midday or Midnight. So that said, WHY do we only have one hour to evolve it? That seems really unnecessary unless its a future prevision in case they decide to make it normally available (like changing Rockruff's Hidden Ability to Own Tempo).
Nature isn't set (at least I hope not, those are horrible Natures), US comes with Fire Fang while UM comes with Thunder Fang (well at least they're coming with one of their Egg Moves), and have Happy Hour (guessing their replacement for Munchlax then). Also why not give it Rock Throw instead of Tackle/Bite so it has a STAB?
But interesting it isn't holding Lycanium Z(?), meaning we probably are going to get that in the game (which is nice since all forms of Lycanroc can use it).
Ultra Beasts:
So UB Burst looks to be made from candy that explode like fireworks and UB Assembly from bricks that have eyes on them. Yup, they're Ultra Beasts alright. I like the design of Assembly more, has a big creep factor with all those eyes, though UB Burst isn't does have that weird factor really going on. As shown in the trailer, UB Assembly probably is going to be defensive (it's a literal wall) while UB Burst looks to have a signature move where it attacks by exploding its "head" (that was super effective against Metagross and Decideuye so is either Ghost, Fire, or Dark-type).
Speaking of which, time to guess the typing! Going off previous UBs, here are some rules: They don't share the same type unless they're suppose to be counterparts and one with two types have a quaduple weakness. So going off that we know:

• Their types can only be: Normal, Ground, Ghost, Fire, Water, Psychic, Ice, & Fairy
  • Quadruple weakness type combinations are: Normal/Ice, Ground/Fire, Ground/Water, Ghost/Psychic, Fire/Ice, & Ice/Fairy

Looking at the options we have if they follow the pair mentality, I don't know. Unless one is mono-type, in which that case I'd say UB Assembly is pure Ground (traditional offensive type) and UB Burst is Ground/Fire.
But if they're going for the idea the two are individual Ultra Beasts... my guesses would actually stay the same. Though if they're willing to break that tradition than maybe they're willing to break the quad weakness tradition in which case my guesses would be UB Assembly is Ground/Ghost and UB Burst is Fire/Fairy.
As for stat/movepool predictions, well like how Kartana wanted to keep reminding you it was SHARP than I'd think US Assembly would remind you it's A WALL: Very high Defense, low Speed, though not sure how they'll handle the Special side of things (will it also have high Special Defense or throw us a curve ball and give us a high Special Attack?). UB Burst is anyone's guess, so here's mine: High Special Attack, high Speed, low Defense, attacks probably involve explosions.

That's all I got to say right now, sorry if this post was late. I'll get to comment responses asap next post.

The last time when something like this happened was emerald, where it was exactly the same until the climax. Platinum and of course BW2 had ways to spice up the formula. Now they have the power to create big cutscenes with great detail, and they decide to reuse the *exact* same ones by the cutscene pictures? That's just waaay too lazy for me. It's borderline "well the additions are nice but this could have been dlc" area.
Emerald had more differences with the plot though as it wasn't just 1 bad team but 2 you had to fight. This looks more like Yellow/Crystal/maybe Plat (never played it) type deal.

Speaking of which, time to guess the typing! Going off previous UBs, here are some rules: They don't share the same type unless they're suppose to be counterparts and one with two types have a quaduple weakness. So going off that we know:

• Their types can only be: Normal, Ground, Ghost, Fire, Water, Psychic, Ice, & Fairy
  • Quadruple weakness type combinations are: Normal/Ice, Ground/Fire, Ground/Water, Ghost/Psychic, Fire/Ice, & Ice/Fairy
Just a minor nitpick but the quadruple weakness its not always the case, Celesteela its a counterpart for Kartana with 2 types and doesn't have a quadruple weakeness.

CTNC

Doesn't know how to attack
For New UB Typings I want to say that there's no way that UB Burst isn't Fairy, but then again, Celesteela isn't Grass. Fire or Ghost also feels accurate with its signature move being its "head" appearing to "explode" and being Super Effective against Metagross and Decideuye. It's ether a explosion or an illusion, but I don't know which one I believe more. I feel like it's Fairy/Fire or Fairy/Ghost to the point that I'd be surprised if it wasn't, but at the same time, I think it can't be that because we're guessing it too easily... Maybe it's Fairy/Dark because Game Freak knew even though they'd show evidence for it, but no one would guess it. :P

UB Assembly, Rock/Ghost. This looks like a Rock Type as much as UB Burst Looks like a Fairy. UB Assembly feels slightly spooky to me and Rock/Ghost hasn't been done before, so I feel like it's a "safe" guess. That said, there are no safe guesses about Ultra Beast Typings. My second guess is Mono Rock because It seems too simple for something so weird, which makes it even weirder. I believe the popular speculation of Xurkitree's typing before it was revealed was Electric/Steel because people didn't expect a Mono Type Ultra Beast.

On the new Ultra Beasts' possible types/type combos:

It's not the most solid ground for an argument, but there's a connection between the trading card game and the Ultra Beasts that might night be super obvious to this forum; Each UB in the TCG has been revealed to have distinct types from one another, mostly in an effort to minimize the potential synergy between them.

Nihilego is Psychic (Psychic in the card game covers Ghost and Poison types as well)
Pheromosa is Grass (which covers Bug types)
-as a side note, Pheromosa's type was unofficially revealed in new promotional material for a booster box that she is featured in
Buzzwole is Fighting
Kartana is Steel
Celesteela is Colorless (Colorless in the TCG covers Normal and Flying types)
-Celesteela's type was unofficially revealed in a booster box promo
Xurkitree is Lightning
-Xurkitree's type was unofficially revealed in a booster box promo
Guzzlord is Dark

The only types in the card game that have not been assigned a UB are Fire, Water (which also covers Ice types), Dragon, and Fairy. The new UBs are likely to have a distinct type in the games that can be represented individually by one of those four TCG types in TPCi's effort to lessen the Ultra Beasts' compatibility.

(As an aside, Dragon is unlikely to represent a UB and we'll probably never see a Dragon-type Guzzlord. Dragon-type cards generally require multiple specific energy types and are not supported by a basic energy unlike the other types barring Colorless, And each of the UB's thus far all work off of the energy needed by their respective TCG type. But, I digress.)

Last edited:
UB Burst reminds me of Mina, the fairy type captain, so yeah I'll go with fairy for Burst. Might be similar to Pheromosa if I had to guess. Maybe because I want them to release a hyper offensive and a hyper defensive UB in USM.

UB Lay I'm guessing will be a rock type. Perhaps bulkier than Celesteela, and higher DEF than SpD.

Unfortunately I don't have much more insight into this. It really is just a gut feeling more than looking for patterns and whatnot in existing UBs.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
PAGE 12:
I foresee a Great Wall in him

Assembly takes the term "Stone Wall" way too literally.
Like Kartana took being SHARP way too literally. :P Ultra Beasts are not one for subtlety.

-It gets both Fire and Thunder Fang, but you can't have both on Dusk Lycanroc, which is better than nothing I suppose.
-Nature CAN be soft resetted.
-It also gets access to Happy Hour, which gives Dusk Lycanroc a chance to use Z-Happy Hour if it wanted to.
-Maybe from Move Relearner it can learn the other Fang move or Move Tutor will teach the Elemental Fangs? Probably not.
-At least I hope so or Sun players are getting a BAD deal (though Brave isn't exactly the best either)!
-... Huh, increase all its non-HP stats by +1 stage or a super strong Rock-type move with situational effect. Yeah, Z-Happy Hour might be a better choice overall. Like for a Rock-type move it'll prefer Accelerock which gets STAB & Tough Claws boost. If anyone is more likely to use Splintered Stormshards it would be a Lycanroc Midnight as it'll be the Lycanroc most often seen with Stone Edge (especially if it has its Hidden Ability). Now the Island Guardians are popular choices (at least right now) so maybe there's a niche, though at the same time unless you knock out the guardian it can just be returned and sent back out and none are weak to Splintered Stormshards (actually two resist it!). Also, even if it was super effective, it still pales in comparison to Kommo-o's. Maybe a better idea would be Splintered Stormshards clearing the field of effects & hazard as well as setting up Stealth Rock (and maybe Spikes) on the opponent's side of the field.

The new Ultra Beasts are both pretty nice, but I can't help but see in Burst some kind of relationship to Xurkitree. I mean, the looks of them... their basic shape reminds me of Xurkitree.

And finally, while I'm definetly skipping the Rockruff event (seriously, a Focus Band?) I'm taking the Celebi one.
At first glance I thought they looked similar too, thin with barely humanoid appearance, but upon a closer look I see the differences (mainly in movements).

Why skip the Rockruff event? It's a wifi download, you really have no excuse not to. And if you don't want it you can always give it to someone else.

PAGE 13:
It's completely white and doesn't really scream "Dark" or "Fire" at all in its look.
They're Ultra Beasts, their whole shtick is kicking previous design methodologies. Nihilego is a jellyfish but isn't Water-type but Rock-type, Xurkitree acts like a plant but it's Grass-type, Celesteela is weak to Fire but can learn Fire-type moves, and Guzzlord doesn't look like any dragon I've ever seen. Only UB who fits their typing is Buzzwole and Kartana.

Another detail: When UB Assembly lands, Hala and Hau are watching. This may replace the scene in Sun and Moon with Koko vs UB-02.
Ooh, nice catch! While don't know what video you're referring to, I was able to spot it in the Direct through the "PART 4" filter when they showed UB Burst.

I don't think it'll replace that scene since Hau was with us (unless they changed that) when Lusamine unleashed the Ultra Beasts, however I wouldn't mind if they extended the Ultra Beasts into the main story. After incident Hau goes off to check how things are going on the other islands and we hear how Hapu helped Fini fight off one of them. Would be nice if we joined Hau and also went back to the other islands and fought some Ultra Beast boss battles (would make sense to add in some new UBs in that case since we wouldn't know their typings). Like they can have Lillie stay in Aether Paradise a little longer to study the now evolved Nebby until we made sure all the islands were alright (maybe have Gladion telling us where Ultra Wormholes have appeared).

PAGE 14:
i can see this as an excuse to keep out the gen 1 & 2 legends, but I'd be surprised if they didn't find a way to include a selection of gens 3-5 legendaries.
Well Japan is having another round of that Scrap promotion and once again offering a selection of Mythical Pokemon as offers.

Not sure how everyone else feels but this is totally not ok with me. I'm spending 40 bucks to replay exactly the same game cutscenes as before up until the climax.
I'm more annoyed that they split it into paired versions and they didn't reveal this sooner. Heck, all that time they spent NOT saying anything they could have used to show us peaks of twists and expansions in the story or new/changed locations to lessen this being the same story again. Though that still wouldn't justify splitting it into two games. If you can't figure out a way to combine the story elements than do what BW2 did and make it a sequel so that you're releasing another paired version is lessened that we're getting a new story.

Actually, let me RIGHT HERE combine the stories together:
There are two Cosmogs, Lillie takes one leaving Lusamine with only one but she needs both to fully open the Ultra Wormholes (that said she still tries with just one and this allows some UBs to get through momentarily, providing us a boss battle). It's clear Lusamine needs both so the story goes as it did in SM. Finally at the climax Lusamine uses both Cosmogs who evolve into Cosmoems. We leave the one Lusamine had at Aether Paradise to see if they can do anything while the player and Lillie take Nebby to the Alter (both the Alter and Lake having a mechanic that changes them depending the time of day). You use the flutes and depending on the time of day Nebby evolves into Solgaleo or Lunala. Necrozma appears and absorbs Nebby while also damaging the Alter thus can't be used to cure the other Cosmoem, then teleports itself to Ultra Space. However legends says the Lake has a connection to Cosmog family so you take the other Cosmoem (on the way there Lillie can give it a nickname like Cosmie). At the Lake you use the flute but nothing happens, instead both Lillie and Cosmie need to focus and connect with spiritually connect to Nebby, which they do and Cosmie evolves into the other Legendary (before than a cutscene will force you to wait for that Legendary's time of day for reasons). You use Cosmie to enter Ultra Space where you have the Lusamine encounter, but after defeating her Necrozma appears and starts wrecking things forcing everyone (player, Lillie, Guzma, & Lusamine) to leave. You escape but the Ultra Wormhole closes and Lillie can't connect to Nebby so is unable to open it again (and Alter is still broken so Cosmie's power alone can't open one). Go back to Aether Paradise and another plan is made: go around defeating Ultra Beasts to gather as much Ultra Energy as possible so Cosmie can create another portal. You go around to the other islands, helping the Kahuna/Island Gaurdians out by battling Ultra Beasts, and finally you get enough Ultra Energy for Cosmie to create another Ultra Wormhole. You go back to Ultra Space, encounter Necrozma, defeat it in battle, and Lillie calls out to Nebby and their bond has it unfuse revealing Nebby is back to being a Cosmog. However Necrozma then goes after Cosmie and fuses with it, so you have to battle it again though this time you can capture it. Eitherway Cosmie unfuses with Necrozma and is also back to being a Cosmog. Cosmie takes a liking to you and joins your party (also if Necrozma wasn't captured it escapes through a wormhole to Ten Karot Hill). Ending goes on as normal, though this time Lillie keeps Nebby since the player now has Cosmie (or whatever the player nicknamed it). Both are Cosmog again so Lillie isn't running around Kanto with a Legendary meanwhile the player can evolve their Cosmog into Solgaleo or Lunala depending on the time of day.

There, combined the story without needing paired games.

Poor Zygarde. It had(still does) potential to be the most influential legendary in the Pokemon universe. I thought GF was going to bring Zygarde over to SM and the plot was Alola became a target of these UBs and you had to collect the Zygarde cells to stop the UBs and sed them back into their dimension. Oh what could have been. RIP Zygarde.
Guess it'll have to wait till the Kalos remakes in like 10 years. THOUGH they could maybe do PokeEngland and have a Zygarde story there. France and England have had many battles and wars against each other so would sort of make sense, could even give it like a 25% and 75% formes to justify it coming back to focus.

PAGE 15:
Just a minor nitpick but the quadruple weakness its not always the case, Celesteela its a counterpart for Kartana with 2 types and doesn't have a quadruple weakeness.
Oh, okay then in that case here's my new predictions:
If a pair: UB Assembly is Ground/Ghost and UB Burst is Ground/Fire.
Alternative: UB Assembly is Ground/Psychic and UB Burst is Psychic/Fire.
If not: UB Assembly is Ground/Ghost and UB Burst is Fairy/Fire.

UB Assembly, Rock/Ghost. This looks like a Rock Type as much as UB Burst Looks like a Fairy. UB Assembly feels slightly spooky to me and Rock/Ghost hasn't been done before, so I feel like it's a "safe" guess. That said, there are no safe guesses about Ultra Beast Typings. My second guess is Mono Rock because It seems too simple for something so weird, which makes it even weirder. I believe the popular speculation of Xurkitree's typing before it was revealed was Electric/Steel because people didn't expect a Mono Type Ultra Beast.
I'm hesitant on Rock since Nihilego is Rock-type and so far, if they aren't a "pair", they don't share types. Also bricks can be made from mud and loam.

On the new Ultra Beasts' possible types/type combos:

It's not the most solid ground for an argument, but there's a connection between the trading card game and the Ultra Beasts that might night be super obvious to this forum; Each UB in the TCG has been revealed to have distinct types from one another, mostly in an effort to minimize the potential synergy between them.

The only types in the card game that have not been assigned a UB are Fire, Water (which also covers Ice types), Dragon, and Fairy. The new UBs are likely to have a distinct type in the games that can be represented individually by one of those four TCG types in TPCi's effort to lessen the Ultra Beasts' compatibility.
Hmm, well going with my mud brick idea maybe UB Assembly is Ground/Water thus be the Water-type (meanwhile UB Burst could be either Fire or Fairy according to my predictions)? That is if the current TCG plays a part, wouldn't be surprised if they aren't in it thus weren't concerned with what they'd make UB Assembly and UB Burst.

Damn I love Assembly. It's really clean. Its eye-bricks, constantly shifting, are great. I'd say Rock/Ghost or Steel/Ghost. Definitely physically defensive, it uses Iron Defense, i take this as a hint.
Burst.. well.. looks like a bad crossbreed between Nihilego and Xurkitree, i don't really like it. But i like the fireworks theme. Let's say Fire/Fairy or Fire/Normal.

Nice to get a hasard removal Z-move but... Its animation is so long. I never used Z-moves in SM and i think i wont use them in USUM, considering how boring it gets after you've seen them twice.

I would absolutely dig Ghost/Normal

One of my disappointments with the UBs was they weren't all like Nihilego: totally bonkers typings. No one had that thing pegged for Poison/Rock.
But all the others were fairly predictable. Buzzwole & Pheromosa were the most obvious from the onset. Xurkitree was just pure electric. Guzzlord was pretty obviously dark and dragon fits it just as well. Kartana being grass/flying was a little surprising, I guess. Steel Celesteela (we didn't know the name at first) made sense once we realeized it was a rocket ship.

and i have been wanting a ghost/normal for yeaaaaaaars
Kartana being grass/flying surprises me even now.

Something I just noticed. I calculated the IVs for both the event Rockruff images. Neither have at least 3 perfect IVs like all Un-breedable Pokemon have when obtained/captured. Does that mean we can breed this Rockruff?

No, we cannot breed it, it's been implied million times, like Ash Greninja.
In same way that it only evolves into Dusk form, which got also said even before the trailer, and was blatantly obvious to begin with.

Ash Greninja and Dusk form Lycanroc are a new "mechanic" with Gen 7, with completely unique Pokemon not obtainable in any other way and different from their normal brethens, that are meant to stay event only and not reproducible.
In similar fashion to the unique Z-crystals like Munchlaxium, Pikashuim, Mewnium and Marshadowium which you can only obtain through the events linked to them.

And no, gift pokemon that were not mythical never had 31 IVs. Munchlax did not, event Torchic also did not.

Neither in fact did Ash-Greninja since it actually just had fixed IVs and EVs.

I'm really wondering sometimes if in some of those posts there's intention of stating things that makes no sense for the sake of posting something. Because I cannot possibly think that anyone can even imagine that Nintendo/GF would *purposely* screw up players and produce bad products for the sake of doing so.

Well, it's not exactly the same game, since it has differences. Even though some cutscenes are apparently the same, not everything is the same. Also, even if things WERE the same up to a certain point, how's that any different than third versions in general? Same game + extra fluff + Move Tutors. That's the basic formula.
It's not any different. Which is why it's frustrating -- third versions are just an awful, money-grabbing plot that offer little to nothing substantial; adding in a few little things like new forms and a Battle Frontier to trick you into thinking it's a new game... but it's not. It's just you paying full game price for the same game you bought before but with a few cute bells and whistles.
It's by far one of the worst things in this franchise if not the worst and I'd had a little optimism that after 9 years without them, we might have been done with them for good. And instead this disappointment happens.

I'm really wondering sometimes if in some of those posts there's intention of stating things that makes no sense for the sake of posting something. Because I cannot possibly think that anyone can even imagine that Nintendo/GF would *purposely* screw up players and produce bad products for the sake of doing so.
Not everyone remembers every detail about the games; I certainly forgot that not all event Pokemon have 31 IVs.

The "GF purposely screws over players" argument has existed for a long time, though it's usually stated as "GF purposely holds back on the design of some games so they can top it on the next game." There's more than a little bit of evidence toward this being true.

The "GF purposely screws over players" argument has existed for a long time, though it's usually stated as "GF purposely holds back on the design of some games so they can top it on the next game." There's more than a little bit of evidence toward this being true.
To some extend. There's a difference between "not exagerating with innovations" and "purposely put bad content in".

In the specific case, putting a Event only, limited time, one per savegame limited Pokemon that you can accidentally turn into a totally normal Pokemon would be on a design level that awful that is no place in a company as big/successful as Nintendo-GF.

Despite not every gen or 2nd installment being complete successes, and ambientation/lore not necessarly always being globally liked, in a way or another every game was a improvement over the previous ones, and there's no point in thinking that such huge companies would do that sort of pretty stupid mistakes.

One has to do some realism check: Pokemon RPGs and Nintendo in general have been around for what, 12+ years at this point, it is pretty evident they know what they are doing else Pokemon would have died in Gen 2 as the developers feared at the time.

Anyone wonder if there's a chance there will be more new Ultra Beasts besides these two? If that's the case it could throw off our expectations on typing completely since they could then just make Assembly Ghost/Steel or Rock/Steel or something.

Also, what do you think their names could be? I would say Burst is probably something like "Pyrework" but that would probably be a bit too on the nose. Then again there is Kartana and Xurkitree, so maybe it's closer than I figure.

Anyone wonder if there's a chance there will be more new Ultra Beasts besides these two?
IIRC all Ultra Beasts (bar Necrozma) were revealed before Sun and Moon were released.

Judging by the month we are in, there could be more but if it ends up being the case, it would not be more than two or three.

Theorymon

Long Live Super Mario Maker! 2015-2024
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Anyone wonder if there's a chance there will be more new Ultra Beasts besides these two? If that's the case it could throw off our expectations on typing completely since they could then just make Assembly Ghost/Steel or Rock/Steel or something.

Also, what do you think their names could be? I would say Burst is probably something like "Pyrework" but that would probably be a bit too on the nose. Then again there is Kartana and Xurkitree, so maybe it's closer than I figure.
I really hope there's more than 2 Ultra Beasts, but I wouldn't even hazard to guess what the hell is on Gamefreak's mind. Almost 10 years of being in Pokemon hype cycles has taught me that Gamefreak isn't particularly predictable!

Also, while I'll admit a part of me is sorta disappointed that they're doing another "third version", that isn't ALWAYS bad news. Emerald and Platinum were pretty meaty improvements over their base games, so USUM could still be the "definitive gen 7 games", even if they may not be sequels like B2W2.

I guess to be fair, there's also the fact that I mostly buy Pokemon cart games now to ladder / play online, so I probably care less about the single player than a lot of people who post here x_x

1:15: Mantine Poke Ride. Diving? We don't need anymore surfing Poke Rides, please be Dive. That said, with their being surfboards that makes me worried it might be a Poke Ride which lets you ride a wave or jump over hazards in the water. Please be dive.
So, Mantine's not really known for diving. In fact, most of it's pokédex entries talk about how it flies above the water. Sun and Moon are notable for missing a Waterfall replacement, and they're the first games since the mechanic was introduced in Gold and Silver to not include riding up waterfalls. As much as we want Dive in Hawaii, what are the chances that Mantine would be used for flying up waterfalls?

Re on the "New pokemon" issue.

Alolan Dex (as in, strictly new pokemon) was the second smallest ever if I read this right.

Seeing that the UBs are tecnically legendaryes, but there is so far the confirmation from the Rockruff different dex ID that the USUM Alolan Dex will be different, the possibilities I see as realistic are

1) We get new Alolan forms as people wished, which expand the current Alola Dex, plus possibly even more new UBs
2) The USUM Alolan Pokedex actually has simply more Pokemon than the S/M version.

I don't think we're going to get actually new Alolan native Pokemon (as in, not forms) outside of UBs, but the presence of new Alolan Forms would be consistent with ORAS adding new Mega Formes not present in XY.

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
Added all the new info to the OP of the thread.

Just a few things I want to say about this stuff.

To me I am not sure if it is as a copy/paste job as others are thinking about. The Portal scene on Aether Paradise very much deliberately cuts at the moment something should come out of the Portal to a prerendered CGI scene which won't be in the game. Previously, they made it very obvious what was going to come out of the Portal in the form of Nihilego.

I can't really place on the map where the Pikachu Island area is. Only place I can work out is the area "below" where the first trial was in Sm. But it's in a really peculiar place if its there.

Also: One thing I also noticed that someone else brought up was the dex number change for Rockruff. If we assume he appears in the same place at Ten Carat Hill, there must be approximately 20ish differently ordered Pokemon before him in the Dex. SM's Dex (like Unova's and XY's) appears to be set in roughly chronological order (The first Pokemon in the dex are the first you see etc). This means that a big chunk of the first Island has been redone/had a lot of other Pokemon added to it, or Rockruff has been pushed into Island 2 for some reason. Interesting changes at least.

Videos still don't show a huge amount of new content. That's the only thing which has me worried at the moment. The screenshots from the websites don't really change this either... I'm hoping that the change to how you get your starter speeds up getting a Pokemon and changes how the initial interactions work.

As I mentioned on Discord, it feels quite possible to me that in USUM Lusamine will not be the "bad guy...grilll...waifu".

We will all be playing through the story through Aether Foundation's researches about UBs expecting Lusamine's 40 year crysis and random "I WILL KILL YOU ALL CAUSE", it would be a pretty neat plot twist if the UBs appearing actually catch everyone off guard, and Lusamine actually helps the player to save the situation instead.

It's all speculation of course, but I feel that a role swap for Lusamine would make perfect sense to quickly break the sense of "I've seen this already" one'd get playing USUM

So, Mantine's not really known for diving. In fact, most of it's pokédex entries talk about how it flies above the water. Sun and Moon are notable for missing a Waterfall replacement, and they're the first games since the mechanic was introduced in Gold and Silver to not include riding up waterfalls. As much as we want Dive in Hawaii, what are the chances that Mantine would be used for flying up waterfalls?
Actually, Mantine has been shown as a diving tool in both the anime and spin-off games:

The anime episode in which that happens is called "Mantine Overboard", and that just might be its Poke Ride name also.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)