StarCraft Remastered

Hulavuta

keeps the varmints on the run
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
This might be a long shot, but who knows.

StarCraft Remastered is being released later this month. As I understand it, it's the same mechanics, but with updated graphics and fitted for more modern screen resolutions.

I've been a lifelong fan of StarCraft; I played the original as a kid and always used cheats or played gimmick maps and such. When StarCraft 2 came out, I was in high school, so I learned to play for real and developed actual technique with the mechanics. Last year, I re-bought StarCraft 1 and finally went through both the original and Brood War campaigns without cheats. It's still as fun as I remember; at the risk of sounding like a genwunner or Melee guy, I do find it to still be the slightly superior game, in terms of competitive mechanics.

With that in mind, what I'm most looking forward to in this release is the act that it will have modern Battle.net multiplayer support. I'm really excited to be playing the game with other people at a point where I actually know how to play the game. I was really active in the StarCraft 2 community back when I played; it was actually my main community before switching to Smogon and Pokemon (there was a 2 month period where I considered Yu-Gi-Oh but nah). I always found the community quite toxic and self-destructive (which was probably a contributing factor to its current significant decline, not to be too presumptuous) so I would really be interested in finding people to play with here, if there are people still around.

If it's been a while and you need to catch up, I heard that Day9 is doing a series about the game that should be helpful. From what I hear, he will start it when he's finished with TI for Dota. But there's an intro video already that kinda just covers what exactly the game is.

I'm a big strategy/war game fan, but the main series I like have been dead for quite a while. StarCraft Remastered gives me a lot of hope that it could be big, so I hope you guys will join me!

Tera Melos

Banned deucer.
I'm SOOOOOOOOOOO Excited. This pretty much raises hopes / confirms the potential for Warcraft 3 remaster / Diablo 2 remaster.

Hulavuta

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I'm SOOOOOOOOOOO Excited. This pretty much raises hopes / confirms the potential for Warcraft 3 remaster / Diablo 2 remaster.
Cool dude, but this thread is for talking about StarCraft (I know nobody is, but still). There's already a WarCraft Remastered thread.

Tera Melos

Banned deucer.
Cool dude, but this thread is for talking about StarCraft (I know nobody is, but still). There's already a WarCraft Remastered thread.

My excitement comes from the SC remaster. Blizzard is showing a lot of care for their old properties and it's pretty fantastic.

As for SC, I'm also looking forward to see how much of the original community returns, and what new community forms. It's always fascinating when games get remasted and a new age of fans develop. I feel like we'll see a lot of competitive NA/US Twitch streamers and varuious people using this as an excuse to question to value of the original game.

Matthew

I love weather; Sun for days
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
To be fair the biggest market of SC (Korea) has gone downhill in place of games like Overwatch and MOBAs. What is there to say about old SC with remodeled graphics? Is it going to be the same game with Guy Terrian vs Zerg Zerglings or will the new graphics make some new builds slightly better? Probably not, but like.... the game is old. Old old. It's a grandfather of a genre and the skill-cap has almost been set by most of the pros (400 APM PogChamp).

I think this is fine to be excited that since Blizzard is remastering one of their best titles, another one of the best titles is welcomed to be speculated upon.

OR: Let's not get super catty in a thread in The Library, we are civil folk after all.

Hulavuta

OR: Let's not get super catty in a thread in The Library, we are civil folk after all.
Apologies, that was just a joke between me and this user since we know each other; no cattiness intended.

Anyway, what I neglected to mention (and probably causing the confusion) is that the game has been out for about a week. So I was also interested in using this thread to arrange games, teams, discuss experiences, etc.

To be fair the biggest market of SC (Korea) has gone downhill in place of games like Overwatch and MOBAs. What is there to say about old SC with remodeled graphics? Is it going to be the same game with Guy Terrian vs Zerg Zerglings or will the new graphics make some new builds slightly better? Probably not, but like.... the game is old. Old old. It's a grandfather of a genre and the skill-cap has almost been set by most of the pros (400 APM PogChamp).
The game hasn't changed at all (mainly because the HD graphics and aspect ratio are optional, meaning it needs to be 100% compatible with the original game), but it is an opportunity for older players to possibly return to the game. The graphics actually do look super nice. I don't think it will ever be as big as it was at its peak (or even StarCraft 2 at its peak) but hopefully some people here would be interested in playing again.

Inspirited

There is usually higher ground.
is a Contributor Alumnus
Campaign-wise, I like all of the new story text backdrops althought the new portraits aren't quite what I had pictured because of the way they had to animate them. Out of all the cosmetic changes, I think the CC/Hatch-Hive/Nexus preorder skins were the best of the bunch (the Hive and Nexus look amazing). I finally wget to see what the artists had in mind when creating the Defiler, Ultralisk, and Hydralisk overworld faces too.

The biggest deal about this release is the attention it is bringing the game from people who play other Blizzard games with a rather large audience from SC 2 finally taking a long hard look at it for awhile. PiG and MaNa (other SC 2 players too) have been streaming it with MaNa finally using his Youtube channel to upload vods of his progress in BW and PiG has also been uploading his vods because that is what he does. These two alone likely brought over a large chunk of the SC 2 playerbase and even though this looks very temporary, it is still neat to see.

The new ladder system definitely outclasses the old servers and I hope they continue to improve upon it. This ladder and matchmaking system are the only real things the game needed mechanically. Hotkey customization was an unexpected move to me, but hey I'll take it.

MaNa's channel since he has never been the type to put out content before: https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCpYa4jhRPdIS5QqsEedKxsQ

Hulavuta

Campaign-wise, I like all of the new story text backdrops althought the new portraits aren't quite what I had pictured because of the way they had to animate them. Out of all the cosmetic changes, I think the CC/Hatch-Hive/Nexus preorder skins were the best of the bunch (the Hive and Nexus look amazing). I finally wget to see what the artists had in mind when creating the Defiler, Ultralisk, and Hydralisk overworld faces too.
Personally I find it the opposite; I think the Command Center skin is the best one. It's just a nice color scheme change. The Hatchery and Nexus seem to fall prey to Blizzard's design fetish of making everything have glowing lights on it. That kinda shows in some of the redesigns for the portraits as well, Blizzard just can't resist the glowing eyes lol. I'm a Zerg player too.

Having the face details on the sprites does add so much clarity now. Nice to see heads and faces where before they were just ambiguous circular shapes. I think the best changes were the ones that just made the original visions clearer. Like apparently Zerglings have hands? Lol. The Zergling and Infested Kerrigan had different designers work on them (so different designers worked on the sprite, for the look in the cinematics, official art, portraits etc.) which is why they were very inconsistent in the original. So I like that they're more uniform now.

The biggest deal about this release is the attention it is bringing the game from people who play other Blizzard games with a rather large audience from SC 2 finally taking a long hard look at it for awhile. PiG and MaNa (other SC 2 players too) have been streaming it with MaNa finally using his Youtube channel to upload vods of his progress in BW and PiG has also been uploading his vods because that is what he does. These two alone likely brought over a large chunk of the SC 2 playerbase and even though this looks very temporary, it is still neat to see.
This is nice to see. I'm happy to see Day9 making videos about it and other players making some ladder videos. But while I think StarCraft will become big again in Korea, worldwide, I don't think it'll even surpass StarCraft 2's popularity, much less become the most popular esport again. Especially because outside of Korea, competitive StarCraft was never really that popular anyway. StarCraft 2 was successful (when it was) because it killed off every other strategy game and those players changed over. A lot of players did come from StarCraft 1, but just as many were WarCraft 3 players, Command and Conquer players, etc. It only really had market competition from two games too, which were Halo and Call of Duty. Which were both shooters and interestingly enough are now pretty much in competitive obscurity as well.

I think the game is just a treat for loyal fans who are still into the game. It'll get people back into the game, but it doesn't really do much to invite new players. It's still hard as hell like it was back when it first came out. It really can't cater to new players without sacrificing its own integrity anyway. But I'm okay with that.

Something I really appreciate from this game is the dub. Recent latin american Blizzard dubs have been... less than ideal (Legacy of the Void has plenty of typos and missing lines in the subtitles, and Legion constantly switches between english and spanish names) but Remastered's is good, even keeping many of the voice actors from the second game (no small feat given that Raynor, Kerrigan and Mengsk keep their voice actors when the dub studio is in a different country -Wings of Liberty was dubbed in Colombia, and Heart of the Swarm onwards is dubbed in Argentina-). My only complaint about it is that the Firebat's name has a literal translation in the dub, instead of "Camazot", which is a clever pun involving native languages. Oh, and that the "queen bitch of the universe" line is still awkwardly translated (only the european spanish Wings of Liberty and Remastered dubs did it right)

In terms of graphics, it's what I expected - the same, except polished... the Zergling portrait fortunately is still cute unlike the second game.

Now, I'm a little disappointed in that there were no quality-of-life improvements in gameplay. I'm not talking about anything major - just something like unit and spell descriptions or information about attack and armor types, nothing intrusive or game-changing for ladder.

Last edited:

Hulavuta

Something I really appreciate from this game is the dub. Recent latin american Blizzard dubs have been... less than ideal (Legacy of the Void has plenty of typos and missing lines in the subtitles, and Legion constantly switches between english and spanish names) but Remastered's is good, even keeping many of the voice actors from the second game (no small feat given that Raynor, Kerrigan and Mengsk keep their voice actors when the dub studio is in a different country -Wings of Liberty was dubbed in Colombia, and Heart of the Swarm onwards is dubbed in Argentina-). My only complaint about it is that the Firebat's name has a literal translation in the dub, instead of "Camazot", which is a clever pun involving native languages. Oh, and that the "queen bitch of the universe" line is still awkwardly translated (only the european spanish Wings of Liberty and Remastered dubs did it right)
Wow, that's something I hadn't even thought about. I thought they just used the old audio files and digitally remastered them. I'm not a sound engineer though. Never even thought about the dubs in other languages. I wonder how that Queen Bitch line turned out to be though lol.

In terms of graphics, it's what I expected - the same, except polished... the Zergling portrait fortunately is still cute unlike the second game.
Yeah, I always thought it was weird that they got rid of the raptor-like look of StarCraft 1 and gave it Balrog horns.

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone was interested in playing together. I haven't played online much though so I'm not sure if servers are still segregated by region or not. But I'd be interested in doing fun things, like FFAs or some of the multiplayer scenarios, like Zoo Keeper or Twilight Struggle.

Last edited:
Wow, that's something I hadn't even thought about. I thought they just used the old audio files and digitally remastered them. I'm not a sound engineer though. Never even thought about the dubs in other languages. I wonder how that Queen Bitch line turned out to be though lol.
At least in the case of the spanish dubs, both Latin America and Europe got new dubs (though 'new' would not be the case in Latin America as the original didn't have one to begin with) and the original spanish dub is missing.

This means the European spanish version lacks gems like "My life for Auir" (sic) or the Dropship pilot being dubbed by a man the original one had.

And in regards to how the "queen bitch" line ended up as... there have been five dubs of games where that line shows up... and there are five different

Original Spanish dub: "La reina zorra del universo" (A literal translation. Too literal, in fact, as the strange way the sentence is written makes it sound more like "The fox queen of the universe" than the intended meaning)

Remastered European Spanish dub: "La puñetera reina de todo el universo" (Something on the lines of "The damn queen of all the universe")
Wings of Liberty European Spanish dub: "La puta reina del universo" (Same as before, except with a much stronger word, and IMO the best of all the ways it's been translated)

Remastered LatAm Spanish dub: "La reina más perra de todo el universo" ("The bitchiest queen of all the universe". Are there any other bitchy queens, Kerrigan?)
Wings of Liberty LatAm Spanish dub: "La Reina de las Putillas" ("The Queen of Bitches". A very lame pun)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)